TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Should observation towers make a comeback?

Observation towers can be much more of an investment in touristy areas that are not parks i.e Towers of the Americas. In parks though, they tend to fail because now everyone has a drop tower which provide BOTH a thrill and a view.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a photographer, ew, no. Open air is the way to go, even if (for safety reasons) it needs to be partially enclosed.

For this reason and in general, I think flying islands should be more popular.

They serve the same purpose as observation towers (although dont go as high up and take more space) however they look much more imposing and attractive, plus they're open air and can be much more decorative.

Observation towers can be much more of an investment in touristy areas that are not parks i.e Towers of the Americas. In parks though, they tend to fail because now everyone has a drop tower which provide BOTH a thrill and a view.

I know this is really hard for enthusiasts to understand, but there are people who want a view but not a thrill. Observation towers are great family rides. Drop towers are not.

I know this is really hard for enthusiasts to understand, but there are people who want a view but not a thrill. Observation towers are great family rides. Drop towers are not.

True. Personally, I don't while I don't think they will make a comeback, I love observation towers for the sweet, sweet ac oh yeah and the views.

• 2 years later...

Here's an old thread that's making a comeback. Now, should observation towers make a comeback? Not only they should make a comeback, but also the parks that have any type of observation tower should keep them in their park and keep them in good, working order. Not only are observation towers can be found in amusement parks, but many major cities have put their own observation towers, like Seattle's Space Needle and New York City's Empire State Building; and many cities now have The Eye, a giant-sized Ferris wheel that gives paramount views of the area around them. While other rides, such as tall roller coasters and drop towers, can give those views too; on the downside, they're only a brief glimpse of the horizon and only those well fit can go on those rides. The Observation Towers can be enjoyed by everybody, as long you don't suffer from vertigo and a fear of heights.

I could see parks thinking: "Why add an observation tower when we would add a Windseeker. People will still get great views, but it would be way more thrilling, and great for marketing."

Honestly, "The worlds tallest swing ride" sounds a lot better than "Come try our all new observation tower!" ... Just my $0.02 though.

I could see parks thinking: "Why add an observation tower when we would add a Windseeker. People will still get great views, but it would be way more thrilling, and great for marketing."

Honestly, "The worlds tallest swing ride" sounds a lot better than "Come try our all new observation tower!" ... Just my $0.02 though.

Exactly, the star flyer/Windseeker is the new observation tower. One ride though I really want to see make a comeback though is eccentric Ferris wheels, there are only two of them on the entire planet (the Wonder Wheel at Coney Island and Pixar Pal-A-Round at DCA) and the Wonder Wheel has got to be the best Ferris Wheel I have ever been on.

I went on the Wonder Wheel years ago with a friend who lived in Manhattan. I was there mainly to ride Cyclone but she told me that we had to ride the Wonder Wheel too. I had no idea what we were in for. Halfway through the first revolution I noticed she was nervous. I asked her what was up and she said, "I just realized every other time I've been on this I've been high. This thing is terrifying sober!"

That woke me up a bit. I enjoyed the ride though.

I finally rode DCA's Pal-A-Round, and was somewhat disappointed in it. The photo attached shows you why. Total steel netting across every window, including the doors! We were shocked when we were entering our (non-swinging) vehicle and seeing this immediately. You really had to have an awesome camera to fit the lens through the tiny square "holes" in that netting. And neither of us had that.....so....

We just sat there, basically did nothing, and said even less. The couple we were facing wasn't much of a thrill either. Bo-ring.

P.S. I've loved observation towers, all of my life, no matter how scared I felt. I always rode them, and felt the better for doing so. Along with taking some neato pix from "the above."

IMG_1106.JPG.f05d917ddedd487d567e4e75478c39b0.JPG

Bottom right car here, you can actually see the stuff everywhere. )o: Sept.09/19.

1384368338_ResizeofIMG_0997.JPG.466d238f1b4b06a54a6e33b75b1d1dc7.JPG

One of my fave shots - me in The Pearl Tower~Shanghai, TPR 2012 China Tour.

1696440902_ResizeofIMG_5876.JPG.9af44d5ef06a44f1a6a31dc3bcdd6838.JPG

Another wonderful park tower in Sarkanniemi Park, Finland. TPR 2014 Scandi Tour.

Edited by Nrthwnd

^ Well, now I'll think twice and check out Da Swing of Da Thing next visit, yes?

I also miss those triple wheels that Great America had. And SFMM had a double one.

Those were trippy and actually futuristic-looking, no better words for it.