TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Drop tower accident injures 10

As to vertical video, if you anticipate displaying the video to a general audience no just don't. But for shooting a tall narrow subject on a phone screen for viewing on a phone screen it makes sense. It wasn't like they expected that to happen.

The problem with this logic is that so often stuff ends up being on TV anyway. And your phone works for video just fine horizontally as it does vertically. So why would there ever be a reason where you *NEED* to film vertically? There are people who say "because of snapchat" but I post horizontal videos to our snapchat all the time, too.

It's just a real shame that this is starting to become "acceptable" and it just further shows how humanity is going further down the road to Idiocracy. Soon we will all be watching "Ow! My Balls" vertically on our phones. I hope I'm dead before that day comes.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect that to whoever is investigating this accident, the main thing is the video was all in-frame without being tiny, and happened at all. They can go through it frame by frame and zoom in.

I expect that to whoever is investigating this accident, the main thing is the video was all in-frame without being tiny, and happened at all. They can go through it frame by frame and zoom in.

So you're suggesting that people should shoot vertical video on the off-chance there might be an investigation where someone may prefer that format? Which you have zero evidence to back up that claim? Wow, that's dumb. REALLY dumb.

Here's an idea: why not just shoot video that doesn't make you look like a fucking moron?

Edited by robbalvey

I guess now would be a good time to post this as well

https://youtu.be/Bt9zSfinwFA

I watched that video, then I watched another

, then I watched the video that played for 10 seconds at the end of that video - the
, followed by a bunch of other Pomplamoose videos. Funny how watching one YouTube video can lead to a chain link of watching videos that are barely related - and this is on a post of a drop ride accident. Okay, carry on.

So you're suggesting that people should shoot vertical video on the off-chance there might be an investigation where someone may prefer that format? Which you have zero evidence to back up that claim? Wow, that's dumb. REALLY dumb.

Here's an idea: why not just shoot video that doesn't make you look like a fucking moron?

As stated up above, most people default to vertical videos as that is how people regularly hold there phones. Plus, I doubt the person shooting this had the intention to upload it, they probably just wanted to show their friends.

As stated up above, most people default to vertical videos as that is how people regularly hold there phones. Plus, I doubt the person shooting this had the intention to upload it, they probably just wanted to show their friends.

I don't understand why people keep defending the stupidity of shooting vertical video unless they are just as stupid to shoot vertical video themselves. There is literally *NO REASON* to do this unless you're a complete moron that doesn't understand how video works. There is no excuse you can tell me that will convince me otherwise.

Does your TV look like this at home?CQ076hCWIAAX3B6.jpg.c1c99a00e5369b845baab84f6d0b4042.jpgNo? Then why would you shoot video like that on your phone? I'll tell you why, because humanity is getting dumber and dumber and when "dumb" becomes the "norm" you don't realize that you're part of the problem instead of part of the solution.

tl:dr - If you record vertical video on your phone, you're an idiot. No excuses.

Robb, did you actually turn your TV on its side to prove your point, or did you find that pic on Google?

Do you think I'd live in a house that has some crappy Wal-Mart TV stand and 1960s curtains?

I would have never guessed in a million years that a Drop Tower accident thread would cause me to laugh my balls off and smh, but this thread has succeeded.

Idiocracy...it's permeating so quickly through our society that I shouldn't even be laughing really.

But that TV photo with Robb's comments - comedy gold.

Almost forgot to add the caveat so people wouldn't jump my bones for thinking that I was laughing at the accident, but only at the comments. That was a close call - whew!

I sometimes wish we could "like" posts like on Facebook. Robb is hilarious and correct.

We actually investigated that option as it is a feature we could add to the forums. But we realized if we did that, thanks to lazy-as-fuck humanity, less and less people would actually contribute to a post and instead of just click a button.

Robb, did you actually turn your TV on its side to prove your point, or did you find that pic on Google?

Do you think I'd live in a house that has some crappy Wal-Mart TV stand and 1960s curtains?

barry.gif.34916dc765fe0fe5d53aebf8d17469d3.gif

At least we know you have good taste!

I laughed at some of the stuff too, but anyone who's watched TV, spent much time on the internet, or even just this forum should know that just because it's funny doesn't make it right. If for some reason you have a valid reason for something, should you compromise because people made jokes about it?

I'm not advocating vertical video, people with minimal experience with other computing devices should be told it tends to suck and they're probably doing it for no reason. I'm saying this is a strange case to complain about it because it really was one of the few possible exceptions, a tall, narrow ride; it made sense to casually shoot a phone video that way and it was probably for the best when it became a very serious video. If it sucks for us on Youtube too bad. I thought it was above average for coverage of a ride accident in a faraway place.

Are you saying you DON'T?

Portrait or landscape isn't the problem I see (properly formatting the shot is a good skill though).

It's the idiots that stared the whole blurry image on the side crap. A black frame works fine and doesn't distract from the subject.

I have boxed video most of the time since movies aren't often shot in a 16:9 format. And old 4:3 movies (common for a long time) get black bars on the sides.

I'm not advocating vertical video

I'm not calling you dumb, except I am and I just did. Just like no matter how many times you say you're not advocating vertical video, you ARE, so please stop saying it, because you're not convincing anyone here.

people with minimal experience with other computing devices should be told it tends to suck and they're probably doing it for no reason.

That's the WHOLE POINT of this....

1196535090_verticalvideo.jpg.49f827a444f22cd46bec4a96ba7af9a6.jpg...and why we have asked people to share it so the dumb can be educated.

I'm saying this is a strange case to complain about it because it really was one of the few possible exceptions, a tall, narrow ride; it made sense to casually shoot a phone video that way and it was probably for the best when it became a very serious video. If it sucks for us on Youtube too bad. I thought it was above average for coverage of a ride accident in a faraway place.

I'm so happy you approve. See point #1 again...

Edited by robbalvey

Portrait or landscape isn't the problem I see (properly formatting the shot is a good skill though).

It's the idiots that stared the whole blurry image on the side crap. A black frame works fine and doesn't distract from the subject.

I have boxed video most of the time since movies aren't often shot in a 16:9 format. And old 4:3 movies (common for a long time) get black bars on the sides.

This post is so incredibly stupid my brain is unable to properly construct a response because it is not capable to think in such a ridiculous way that a rational thought could be posted. Instead I'll just post this video clip from Billy Madison....

or maybe you'd prefer this....

or maybe even this?

Do you honestly not see how insanely fucking stupid that looks?!?!?!

Edited by robbalvey

Honestly, why are people even coming on our forum and trying to argue that vertical video is "ok?" How dumb can you be? And considering the volume of responses we got on social media today saying things like "THANK YOU for posting that!" when we asked people to help spread the word about not recording vertical video so that the world stops looking so stupid, I have to think that we aren't wrong:

Facebook:

Twitter:

Seriously, when people on social media channels say how much they HATE vertical video, and those are the channels that you see it on the most, these are the people i'm going to listen to.

I'm not sorry this thread got derailed, although I'm actually not sure what's more depressing, discussing innocent people being injured on a ride or the fact that humanity is quickly going into the shitter and stupidity is becoming an acceptable "norm." Both are pretty sucky and horrible, IMO.

Edited by robbalvey

They do this because they are stealing video. You can't be serious. They are stealing video from other sources and putting it in compilation videos that isn't authorized by the original creator. You are justifying vertical videos by citing a workaround to the "rules" of stealing content/videos.

Edited by ernierocker