TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Drop tower accident injures 10

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its me but I don't see any magnetic brake fins on that tower. Looks like its stopped by the cable - which apparently snapped. Good thing it didn't happen higher up, it could have been really ugly.

What kind of ride was it? I don't recognize it.

It appears to me that the cables do everything. They pull the gondala up then something releases but the cables stay attached. Then the cables "catch" it and lower it down.

At least Larson, Intamin and Funtine towers have magnets while S&S have an air cushion and spring plungers. This thing has nothing. The cables do everything and if they fail you're screwed.

Edited by WestCoasterKing

Apparently the ride is Adrenaline Tower (Adrenalin Kule) at Konya Lunapark in Turkey but I don't see anything about who manufactured it. By the looks of things I'm sure once we figure that out we'll all be much less surprised by the accident.

What is even more baffling to me is how after all these years people still don't know how to record video on their cell phone...

[attachment=0]vertical video.jpg[/attachment]

Thank you, Robb! Geez nothing bugs me more. Except maybe when people can't hold it steady when filming disasters

What is even more baffling to me is how after all these years people still don't know how to record video on their cell phone...

Ugh, yes...and the growing popularity of Snapchat is only adding fuel to the fire by essentially requiring it.

Ugh, yes...and the growing popularity of Snapchat is only adding fuel to the fire by essentially requiring it.

I know sometimes it's easier to catch something happening quickly to just hold up the phone with one hand. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if they just put black bars on the side instead of mirroring the blurry video on the sides.

Or why not put a feature that allows you to hold the phone vertical but records horizontal widescreen video.

I know sometimes it's easier to catch something happening quickly to just hold up the phone with one hand.

Another reason why I hate all the phones now going to giant tablet size and why I still have my cute little iPhone SE which I can perfectly operate in any orientation with one hand. I forget with these giant sized phones now you have to use two hands to hold it horizontally, which makes lazy people even more lazier.

I refuse to have a phone bigger than what the iPhone 5 was. To me that was the PERFECT size phone and a "dazzling display of common sense."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99m7lebirE

Of course now that Steve Jobs is dead we have this crap...

Edited by robbalvey

I know sometimes it's easier to catch something happening quickly to just hold up the phone with one hand.

Another reason why I hate all the phones now going to giant tablet size and why I still have my cute little iPhone SE which I can perfectly operate in any orientation with one hand. I forget with these giant sized phones now you have to use two hands to hold it horizontally, which makes lazy people even more lazier.

I refuse to have a phone bigger than what the iPhone 5 was. To me that was the PERFECT size phone and a "dazzling display of common sense."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99m7lebirE

Of course now that Steve Jobs is dead we have this crap...

I really do run with the same logic, once my 5S dies, I will be switching to an SE. If you want a huge phone you may as well just get a cellular iPad, it will be half the price as well. Although drop towers are the one ride where a portrait photo does make sense for as its hard to capture the whole tower in one shot.

I agree 100%. I too hate these big phones. Reminds me of when you watch something from the 80s or 90s and the yuppy guys are carrying around the huge brick phones. Now you got these guys with a small computer strapped to their belts. I want something small enough that I can put in my pocket with my car keys and not know it's there. I take all videos and even photos sideways. With one hand.

Edited by WestCoasterKing

Although drop towers are the one ride where a portrait photo does make sense for as its hard to capture the whole tower in one shot.

This footage of the world's tallest drop tower would politely disagree with you!

^ Sadly most people do not have access to drones or helicopters. Sadly...

The opening shot and all but ONE of the later off-ride shots were filmed with a cell phone from the ground which is what I was talking about. Seriously, could you PLEASE stop posting stupid comments to our forum? You make my brain hurt.

Edited by robbalvey

Considering the restraints look like a copy of zamperla restraints, it looks like the tower is made from old ladders and there's no air pressure/magnets/emergency braking system i'd assume it's made by some slightly let's say "cheap" manufacturer.

(for some reason most knockoff/cheap manufacturers copy zamperla's restraints???)

Are possibly brakes then lowered by a cable, or magnetics used with a mechanical final lowering section? It almost stopped elevated and then dropped to the final stops. Notice how you hear a motor at the end of Zum.

As to vertical video, if you anticipate displaying the video to a general audience no just don't. But for shooting a tall narrow subject on a phone screen for viewing on a phone screen it makes sense. It wasn't like they expected that to happen.