TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mitch Hawker type poll, I'm willing to give it a try

So, as we know the MH poll hasn't been done since 2013, sad on its own right but even sadder when you think about all the great rides that have come out since. I sent Mitch a nicely worded and polite, (I hope at least) email asking why he has stopped. There has not been a response, he did once before so seems he is truly done with it. I won't ask if anyone has any idea what has happened, already looked into and no one seems to know.

So, I am going to take a crack at it. Mitch's technique is explained right on his site, and it's pretty clear what he does. It would be a tedious, large effort, but in 2 weeks I will have a semester off from school so I am willing to try this. I was thinking of doing the same basic thing, a continuation of Mitch's poll, with credit where it's due, and maybe a few tweaks here and there.

My questions to you TPR are:

1: Who would participate in this?

2: Could anyone help with the more tech aspects? For example, the "drag and drop" easy technique does anyone know how to make that? If not, and I can't figure it out from my IT brother, I will have to do it spreadsheet type style

3: Any ideas? I wanna keep it the same way, some small changes like putting all the mega lites as one category, put both lightning racer tracks as one same with Dauling Dragon, (far as I can tell they are the same ride?). Any other ideas both for minor changes or larger ones I am willing to consider.

Should I email Mitch? I will give him full credit of course, but want him to know and don't want to seem like I'm taking his work. I just am someone who wishes it was still around, and have some free time. This would be for 2016.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw someone had a similar idea here before and Robb seems to have supported it/was willing to lend a hand. I am here to gauge opinion and will ask several enthusiast sites. I am very serious about doing this and will have a rare window to do so.

Do it. I think any respectable coastergeek would like the Hawker pool (or something similar) to return.

3: Any ideas? I wanna keep it the same way, some small changes like both lightning racer tracks as one same with Dauling Dragon, (far as I can tell they are the same ride?). Any other ideas both for minor changes or larger ones I am willing to consider.

I am not like some credit nazi, but if a dueling coaster has two tracks with two different layouts (both of your examples do) then they are two different coasters. Hell, if they have almost the same (i.e. Rebel Yell) courses, they are two different coasters imo.

^There is a coaster named Dauling Dragon.

I'm aware. What's your point?

My bolding of the e had nothing to do with the coaster he referenced and everything to do with the recent dualing/dueling discussion in the CP thread. Try to keep up. The point I made still stands.

Not to mention, Dualing Dragon is on some lost-in-translation sh*t as dualing is not even an English word.

There are already a couple of efforts in the works.

I'm going to be honest here and I'm sorry if this comes off as brash but this is just me being me...

I'm not sure the best way to approach this is "Hey I'm thinking about doing this, but I've never done anything like this, but hey I've got friends in IT and Mitch's formula is there, right? So why not?"

Personally, that to me just sort of doesn't sound like a recipe for success. Had you actually put something together, then tested it, then tested it some more, and THEN presented it to the forum with some functionality and ideas and needed some input, I'd say this idea has a shot.

But to me this doesn't sound like it's off to a good start.

I've already seen a couple of other Mitch-like polls that have had coding and design that are currently in development. Now none of them that I've seen are ready for release yet, so I wouldn't say to completely ditch your idea, but I think before coming back to the forum you need to have something a bit more polished than just the idea to do it, because that's already in progress.

tl;dr - Great idea! I'm glad people are passionate about this. Put something working together and then come back to the forum so we can help when you're ready to present a working prototype.

I'm definitely willing to participate. Ill be checking in to see when you will come out with a working model we can use.

I definitely agree with Coasterbill that dueling rides with two different layouts are two completely different rides.

Ahh, the proverbial yearly thread about the Mitch poll.

I'd be willing to help if the OP is serious about developing this. I have some skills in programming and scripts if that helps, but usually these posters come in serious about the idea, realize that it is too much effort, and fade off into the sunset.

Robb's got the right idea here. The first step is to develop a program or algorithm that takes users rankings and fairly matches them up based on rider count and popularity. It will take A LOT of trail and error to get the desired results, so just a warning that it wouldn't be a one shot deal.

Here is the explanation for the Mitch poll: http://ushsho.com/howitwrk.htm

I'm going to lock this thread since it seems to be going on in several different directions, none which seem to be really that productive. Read my comments above. When there is something ready to present to the forum, I'm all for supporting it and helping out.