TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Are There Really Any Bad New Coasters?

Ah... the spinning less actually makes sense. Unlike the videos I've seen of Insane, GL didn't seem to ever adjust the forces to any direction other than straight into my collar bones. Leave it to Six Flags to modify something incorrectly.

Exactly. I've also ridden three of them and the Six Flags one just feels 'off' compared to the others.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rode GL for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It was fun, but equally painful. My side of the rotating axis must have been about 100 lbs. heavier than the other, but I only flipped over once.

I think we had one flip during the whole course as well despite a pretty serious off-balance situation where I was dangling face first Tatsu-style my whole way up the lift, and I only weigh 155 pounds. It didn't make any sense going up the lift, and it didn't make any more sense when our whole car came groaning into the station with sore shoulders. Whyyyyy... how can it be THAT bad?!

EDIT: I just remembered something about our trip... I tried to convince my little sister to join me on the ride but she refused w/ the explanation of "that looks uncomfortable" after watching a few cycles from the ground. Despite my assurance that it wouldn't be that bad she stayed on the ground. I'm so glad she didn't end up riding because I would have never heard the end of the "I told you so" chorus otherwise.

I've tried to give GL the benefit of the doubt but it's just an all around terrible coaster experience. I've probably ridden it a dozen times, before each time convincing myself it's not that bad, but then I ride it and remember that it really is that bad. It's painful and just not any fun. Now I skip it and head next door to do extra laps on Batman, which is over 20 years old and still rides great.

Sorry I disliked Skyrush, The painful restraints hurt me.

FACT: Because so many Americans are such pussies is the reason why we won't get any of those REALLY FUCKING AWESOME Intamin coasters here in the US.

So next time someone sees some insanely kick-ass Intamin being built in Europe, China, Japan, etc, and they complain about why we don't get those rides in the US, just remember Skyrush and that Americans are pussies.

That is all.

FACT: Because so many Americans are such pussies is the reason why we won't get any of those REALLY FUCKING AWESOME Intamin coasters here in the US.

So next time someone sees some insanely kick-ass Intamin being built in Europe, China, Japan, etc, and they complain about why we don't get those rides in the US, just remember Skyrush and that Americans are pussies.

That is all.

I'm conflicted because I wanna this but also and a little bit of .

That is all.

We've always been more of a complaining country than a logical country...

That is all.

120% agreed. I've said it before, but America does not deserve Skyrush... at all.

Hershey's Intamin trio is perfection, and that is why it is my favorite park by quite a large margin. If only I didn't live 2000 miles from it

I agree about Thunderbolt. It looks great, but it beats you half to death.

Hey at least it had the "old" zamperla trains instead of the new torture machines they showed at IAAPA

[attachment=0]thumb_cxuxcdtviaaqykf.jpg[/attachment]

I'm super confused about these trains, where are your arms supposed to go? I assume they would fit somewhere between the safety vest, and those poorly designed metal bars?

^ Look, while I agree the current seats used on Thunderbolt are terrible, there is no actual evidence that the new trains suck. One of the main complaints I have heard is how the straps are really uncomfortable, and by adding these plastic ones, which are more curved, it may have solved one of the issues. Also, those metal bars, to me at least, look wide enough to fit an adults arms through. The large n bar is large enough to accommodate a large range of sizes, which is good. I feel this ride would be a different riding position, but more of a racing one, which would be pretty cool.

They obviously know they first design is terrible, so they are adapting and developing their ideas. The issue with Thunderbolt is not its layout, which actually is pretty neat AND compact, so it must be with the track (which could also be in development) and trains, which are also being developed. I think it is good how a relatively small company is pushing the boundaries and yes, it is not as refined as when Intamin has a first go at things, and yes, Thunderbolt is awful (stress on the AW) but I would not put hate on a ride that has not opened yet.

I totally understand why people would cringe at the new design, as it is different, and I would love to hear feedback to someone who has been on the new train and knows how it feels. If they say it is still terrible, and there is no were for your arms to go, I will say fair enough, and completely withdraw this statement. I am not saying the developed design is good, but I am defending it that we don't know it will be bad.

The new restraints look more comfortable than the old. But the hard fiberglass shell you sit in (and potentially bang your elbows against) has not changed. Straps appear softer and less abrasive. Side restraints appear to be further away from your head.

new.thumb.jpg.599e96b6c037e6655db4e7663ffc2e01.jpg

New

old.jpg.a0efcf48c219691677252696443a1fd6.jpg

Old

Edited by larrygator

Yup, debate over, burn down Thunderbolt.

Agreed.

I will never forget our first ride. . . We got off of it thinking "Dear god... what did they do?? How can a ride so new be so brutal??" And we have never ridden it again. . . Like you have to have done something seriously wrong to have uncomfortable shuffling at the top of a vertical loop!!

The last big coaster for Korea was T Express in what 2008 and after 10 years the next big coaster is going to be one of those. Thank god there's also a B&M Dive Coaster coming in 2018. Although I've seen enough ridiculous stock photos used for random rides that it makes me a little nervous that it could end up being the same project.