TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How many North American Wooden Coasters have you ridden??

I'm not sure how you get
"the whole idea [of riding new coasters and visiting new parks] seems dumb to me because I already go to the best parks."

out of

I don't go looking for new "credits" (the whole idea seems dumb to me), but instead focus on going to the best parks.

but OK.

Lol, were in the "How many North American Wooden Coasters" thread... not the "How many pathetic kiddie coasters" thread. Input wooden roller coasters for where he wrote "credits".

But he didn't write that. And I took his post in the general sense. Whatevs dude. I really don't care. You'll argue in circles to the death, as usual, so let's just say you won. Feel better? Awesome!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

64 out of 126 (51%)

Not too shabby! It was fun to see all the credits I don't yet have. I'm always traveling and hoping to experience new parks and coasters, so seeing all the ones I have left makes it hard to decide what trips to prioritize for this year!

Wow, there's been a sh*tstorm since I checked in this morning.

Basically, I just meant that I was surprised to see my ranking so high since when trip planning, I really only care about going to a place that's fun. I haven't been to too many theme parks, so there are a ton of great choices that are also new to me. This year I'm going to Dollywood and Knoebels! I'm also going back to Holiday World, and all they're getting is a Calypso. I'm not going because of the Calypso; I'm going because that place is awesome and I've wanted to go back ever since I left.

This should never in any way have been a debate, but Boldikus won with this:

I don't go looking for new "credits" (the whole idea seems dumb to me), but instead focus on going to the best parks. I'm visiting 2 parks this year that I love yet (gasp) have built no new coasters since my last visit 2 years ago!

So you don't even want to go to new parks and ride new coasters?.. Really?

You say you go to the "best parks" -- but how would you know they're the best if you haven't been anywhere else? I can guarantee there's plenty of parks (even in the US still) that are amazing that you're skipping over.

To be honest, your philosophy of theme park visiting is condescending and "seems dumb to me."

FYI your entire post comes off as condescending. And the idea that there is a "philosophy of theme park visiting" that you actually follow is hilariously obnoxious.

I think what he's getting at is that he decides which parks to visit based on if it looks cool/if the rides & coasters appeal to him the most, not which parks have credits he needs. I completely 100% agree with him. Hitting parks just to get credits sounds dumb to me. I want to go to parks that look good and have rides that appeal to me.

For instance I skipped hitting Coney again last year and instead went to parks like Hershey, GreatAdv, Moreys etc, parks I've visited before. Why? Because I love those parks and enjoy them. I could have gone to Coney and got new credits but again postponed a visit because deciding to visit a park is not based on if I need credits there but on where I feel I want to go. There is more to visiting parks than getting new credits.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

Wow, there's been a sh*tstorm since I checked in this morning.

Basically, I just meant that I was surprised to see my ranking so high since when trip planning, I really only care about going to a place that's fun. I haven't been to too many theme parks, so there are a ton of great choices that are also new to me. This year I'm going to Dollywood and Knoebels! I'm also going back to Holiday World, and all they're getting is a Calypso. I'm not going because of the Calypso; I'm going because that place is awesome and I've wanted to go back ever since I left.

Cool! I clearly misinterpreted what you meant in your original post - I thought you were saying it's dumb to go to new places. I have nothing against revisiting parks I like - I am revisiting Dollywood this Summer too!

For whatever it's worth I would much rather revisit a good park than visit a "new" park that has a poor reputation/coaster lineup. For example if I happened to be in the DC Metro area I would much rather make a return trip to Busch Gardens than a first visit to Six Flags America, not the best example but you get the point.

I don't foresee this changing much this year, if at all. We're taking a year off from traveling in order to get rid of the remaining student loan debt we have and cashrolling a wedding.

Sounds like the perfect year for a couple day trips down the Garden State Parkway.

And here is where I see a major problem. There is no need to declare a winner or loser every time there is an argument. Nobody every lets an argument just die and that carries on beyond this thread and site.

I don't know how we can take this comment

You say you go to the "best parks" -- but how would you know they're the best if you haven't been anywhere else? I can guarantee there's plenty of parks (even in the US still) that are amazing that you're skipping over.
and argue about it. Sure you can argue about the tone and over who is condescending and rude, but you are not focusing on the crux of his argument.

I would never have considered Knoebels or Lagoon (or even Dollywood and Silver Dollar City 7 years ago) to be great parks if I never visited them myself. Although, I greatly value the opinions of the Alveys, I would never have considered Tokyo Disney Sea to be a great park until I visited.

I used to argue with an old girlfriend about reading books. I'm not a big book reader and my argument was I've read Catcher in the Rye and that's the best book ever so why should I read another book. I refused to move off my stand. She would constantly say, how do you know if you never read another book. She was 100% right but I would never admit it to her. Now I am of the opinion that I want to visit every amusement park so I can form an comprehensive opinion of the best, which aren't even the best, bu my favorites. (I don't like using the word best, since ranking is subjective to the person using it)

Let's stay on topic versus critiquing every word/opinion we don't agree with.

Edited by larrygator

And here is where I see a major problem. There is no need to declare a winner or loser every time there is an argument. Nobody every lets an argument just die and that carries on beyond this thread and site.

That's a good point. Since the argument was over what I meant, by saying he won, I just meant that he understood what I was saying (and said it a lot better too). I honestly have no idea how it ever became an argument, but it was clearly all a misunderstanding stemming from poor word choice on my part. So I'm sorry.

FYI your entire post comes off as condescending. And the idea that there is a "philosophy of theme park visiting" that you actually follow is hilariously obnoxious.

I think what he's getting at is that he decides which parks to visit based on if it looks cool/if the rides & coasters appeal to him the most, not which parks have credits he needs. I completely 100% agree with him. Hitting parks just to get credits sounds dumb to me. I want to go to parks that look good and have rides that appeal to me.

For instance I skipped hitting Coney again last year and instead went to parks like Hershey, GreatAdv, Moreys etc, parks I've visited before. Why? Because I love those parks and enjoy them. I could have gone to Coney and got new credits but again postponed a visit because deciding to visit a park is not based on if I need credits there but on where I feel I want to go. There is more to visiting parks than getting new credits.

You're missing the whole point of my post, dude. He said he doesn't want to go to NEW places or seek out new rides because he's already been to "the best" parks so has no need. In your anecdote, you've already been to Coney Island, so it's irrelevant to what I'm saying at all.

My point was that not visiting NEW parks because the parks you already go to are "the best" is flawed. My point is to have an open mind to places you haven't visited...

It's the same mentality Cedar Point fanboys who only go to Cedar Point because "it's better than everywhere else," yet haven't been to any other parks to make that judgement.

Of course there's a lot of trash kiddie credits that some weirdos feel the need to seek out, but you shouldn't discredit every other theme park because your two home parks are "the best." Unless, or course, you've traveled as much as Robb/Elissa and can actually say that.

EDIT: You can visit theme parks however you want, I don't care. But I'll call you out for being dismissive and close-minded when you say "the whole idea [of riding new coasters and visiting new parks] seems dumb to me because I already go to the best parks"

I recently sailed on NCL Escape...and spent a lot of time at the ultimate texas holdem table with a retired guy who was on his 11th sailing of the same ship (or so he said). People do what they want with their money and time---what's wrong with familiarity? The title of best is entirely subjective.

Truthfully, I'm with him---I would MUCH rather take a yearly trip to a place like Tokyo Disney over chasing a new credit somewhere in the U.S. that would cost me much less money, even if it is widely regarded as a top ride.

Back to the topic at hand: 28 for me.

Edited by Jew

I now want to hit Tokyo Disney Resort every three years, if I can afford it. But for now, every five is fine.

Familiarity with a certain theme park (resort), does bring ultimate satisfaction upon re-visits.

And I'm still where I was, count-wise (17 of 126), for this thread.

I've always been one who's all about finding the next best things and I want to experience as much as possible. Form the age of 6 to about 15 my family kept taking me to the same parks and I thought those parks were amazing especially SFMM which I though was the best park back then. Boy am i glad I started getting around to new places as its the only way to figure out what you truly like. The larger the sample size the better. I understand the logic of wanting to visit want you no is a for sure awesome park, but if I did that I'd never of made it to parks like Silverwood or Holiday World which for me are 2 of my 5 favorite parks I've been to.

Edited by Bedholm

I've only been on 7 out of the 126 wooden coasters in North America (The only wooden coasters I've been on so far). These include the following:

-Ghoster Coaster at Canada's Wonderland

-Wild Beast at Canada's Wonderland

-Mighty Canadian Minebuster at Canada's Wonderland

-The Racer at Kings Island

-Woodstock Express at Kings Island

-Thunderhawk at Dorney Park

-The Beast at Kings Island

I plan to get on a couple more when I (hopefully) go to Knoebels for the first time this summer!

For whatever it's worth I would much rather revisit a good park than visit a "new" park that has a poor reputation/coaster lineup. For example if I happened to be in the DC Metro area I would much rather make a return trip to Busch Gardens than a first visit to Six Flags America, not the best example but you get the point.

Actually that's a good example, I think SFA can be worth going to every once in a while, while the merits of their rides is questionable I can guarantee you one thing, you won't ride any of them by going back to BGW... BUT, it really depends on how often you "happen to be" in the area and even get to go to BGW. And KD! Plus I wonder how much SFA's reputation relates to how annoying it is to get there.

I don't travel much. I do get extra excitement when I get to go someplace new but at the same time my home park(s) and the highly local experience is hard to beat (just almost too casual). I can see where even "new" would start to get old though.

In the poll, you can look through the statistics page and find some pretty interesting things!

Firstly, Blue Streak at Cedar Point is the most ridden wood coaster on the list by far! (68% of the users)

Secondly, my most "rare" wood coaster credit here is Timberhawk in Washington (3.9%) - Followed by Coaster at Playland, Tremors, and Timber Terror (5.7%)!

Lastly, there's multiple idiots who have marked InvadR, Mytic Timbers, or Mine Blower.

Lastly, there's multiple idiots who have marked InvadR, Mytic Timbers, or Mine Blower.

You didn't actually expect the jokers on here to be honest (or smart), did ya?

Edited by boldikus