TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

How many North American Wooden Coasters have you ridden??

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got 44 of them, though I really should have counted Arkansas Twister, since I rode it multiple times when it was Hurricane at Boardwalk and Baseball. So, 45 of 126... I'll definitely be adding Mystic Timbers this year, and likely Mine Blower as well. I'd love to make it over to BGW to ride Invadr this year, but that's doubtful. I DO plan on finally getting to Knoebels and Dorney Park this year however, and Morey's is a solid chance as well!

34/126, which apparently puts me in the top 21%.

Same rating here. I thought it would be lower considering I still have a few major parks to hit.

Yeah, apparently not a lot of people have been on very many wooden coasters. I was suprised it was that high, since I don't go looking for new "credits" (the whole idea seems dumb to me), but instead focus on going to the best parks. I'm visiting 2 parks this year that I love yet (gasp) have built no new coasters since my last visit 2 years ago!

I've enjoyed going for new credits simply on the basis that I've wound up coming across parks and rides that wound up far exceeding my expectations. For example, I went out to the San Francisco Bay Area on a credit run and found 1) Flight Deck at CGA to be among the best inverted coasters in the US and 2) Six Flags Discovery Kingdom to be an absolutely amazing park. SoCal, for obvious reasons, gets far more attention, but to focus on just what are considered some of the "greatest hits" parks and rides is to miss out on a lot of relatively under-noticed gems.

FYI, I tacked on Canobie Lake in New Hampshire to that Bay Area trip and found it to also be a great park, with Yankee Cannonball actually being a pretty spectacular ride.

I don't go looking for new "credits" (the whole idea seems dumb to me), but instead focus on going to the best parks. I'm visiting 2 parks this year that I love yet (gasp) have built no new coasters since my last visit 2 years ago!

So you don't even want to go to new parks and ride new coasters?.. Really?

You say you go to the "best parks" -- but how would you know they're the best if you haven't been anywhere else? I can guarantee there's plenty of parks (even in the US still) that are amazing that you're skipping over.

To be honest, your philosophy of theme park visiting is condescending and "seems dumb to me."

I don't go looking for new "credits" (the whole idea seems dumb to me), but instead focus on going to the best parks. I'm visiting 2 parks this year that I love yet (gasp) have built no new coasters since my last visit 2 years ago!

So you don't even want to go to new parks and ride new coasters?.. Really?

You say you go to the "best parks" -- but how would you know they're the best if you haven't been anywhere else? I can guarantee there's plenty of parks (even in the US still) that are amazing that you're skipping over.

To be honest, your philosophy of theme park visiting is condescending and "seems dumb to me."

FYI your entire post comes off as condescending. And the idea that there is a "philosophy of theme park visiting" that you actually follow is hilariously obnoxious.

I think what he's getting at is that he decides which parks to visit based on if it looks cool/if the rides & coasters appeal to him the most, not which parks have credits he needs. I completely 100% agree with him. Hitting parks just to get credits sounds dumb to me. I want to go to parks that look good and have rides that appeal to me.

For instance I skipped hitting Coney again last year and instead went to parks like Hershey, GreatAdv, Moreys etc, parks I've visited before. Why? Because I love those parks and enjoy them. I could have gone to Coney and got new credits but again postponed a visit because deciding to visit a park is not based on if I need credits there but on where I feel I want to go. There is more to visiting parks than getting new credits.

FYI your entire post comes off as condescending. And the idea that there is a "philosophy of theme park visiting" that you actually follow is hilariously obnoxious.

I think what he's getting at is that he decides which parks to visit based on if it looks cool/if the rides & coasters appeal to him the most, not which parks have credits he needs. I completely 100% agree with him. Hitting parks just to get credits sounds dumb to me. I want to go to parks that look good and have rides that appeal to me.

For instance I skipped hitting Coney again last year and instead went to parks like Hershey, GreatAdv, Moreys etc, parks I've visited before. Why? Because I love those parks and enjoy them. I could have gone to Coney and got new credits but again postponed a visit because deciding to visit a park is not based on if I need credits there but on where I feel I want to go. There is more to visiting parks than getting new credits.

You're missing the whole point of my post, dude. He said he doesn't want to go to NEW places or seek out new rides because he's already been to "the best" parks so has no need. In your anecdote, you've already been to Coney Island, so it's irrelevant to what I'm saying at all.

My point was that not visiting NEW parks because the parks you already go to are "the best" is flawed. My point is to have an open mind to places you haven't visited...

It's the same mentality Cedar Point fanboys who only go to Cedar Point because "it's better than everywhere else," yet haven't been to any other parks to make that judgement.

Of course there's a lot of trash kiddie credits that some weirdos feel the need to seek out, but you shouldn't discredit every other theme park because your two home parks are "the best." Unless, or course, you've traveled as much as Robb/Elissa and can actually say that.

EDIT: You can visit theme parks however you want, I don't care. But I'll call you out for being dismissive and close-minded when you say "the whole idea [of riding new coasters and visiting new parks] seems dumb to me because I already go to the best parks"

You're missing the whole point of my post, dude. He said he doesn't want to go to NEW places or seek out new rides because he's already been to "the best" parks so has no need. In your anecdote, you've already been to Coney Island, so it's irrelevant to what I'm saying at all.

Where did I say I've been to Coney? I've never been to Coney (well once, but it was off season over a decade ago and everything was closed, it looked like a ride graveyard). I could go and get a bunch of credits, its just a short, easy train ride, but Ive heard mixed reviews about the place so I haven't pulled the trigger. Instead, I chose to go to parks that Ive been to that I enjoyed and knew I'd have a good time at.

I agree everyone should have an open mind about parks but I also think a. there is more to life than counting credits, which is what your first post insinuates, b. you should be open minded about what someone else chooses to do with their own money and time, and c. you shouldn't shove your "philosophy of theme parks" (lol it pains me to even type that) down someones (that you don't even know) throat.

Where did I say I've been to Coney? I've never been to Coney (well once, but it was off season over a decade ago and everything was closed, it looked like a ride graveyard). I could go and get a bunch of credits, its just a short, easy train ride, but Ive heard mixed reviews about the place so I haven't pulled the trigger. Instead, I chose to go to parks that Ive been to that I enjoyed and knew I'd have a good time at.

I agree everyone should have an open mind about parks but I also think a. there is more to life than counting credits, which is what your first post insinuates, b. you should be open minded about what someone else chooses to do with their own money and time, and c. you shouldn't shove your "philosophy of theme parks" (lol it pains me to even type that) down someones (that you don't even know) throat.

You said "hitting Coney again" which I thought implied that?

Let me repeat, You can visit theme parks however you want, I don't care. But I'll call you out for being dismissive and close-minded when you say "the whole idea [of riding new coasters and visiting new parks] seems dumb to me because I already go to the best parks."

And regarding that last sentence - what? I never claimed to have a right way to do anything, I was showing how backwards OPs logic is. I was not even defending counting credits, just defending the idea of visiting new places and not judging them without trying them

You really didn't understand my point... Reread my posts and see if you can figure out my sentiment.

PS - We're talking about wooden coasters here, not kiddie coasters. I wouldn't even consider it 'credit whoring' to seek out rare, one-of-a-kind wooden coasters - A type of coaster that doesn't even make up 5% of the world's operating coasters...

I'm not sure how you get

"the whole idea [of riding new coasters and visiting new parks] seems dumb to me because I already go to the best parks."

out of

I don't go looking for new "credits" (the whole idea seems dumb to me), but instead focus on going to the best parks.

but OK.

At the end of the day, it's of course a preference thing, but let's be fair: say you live close to Cedar Point and you absolutely, without question, love the place and don't have a burning desire to spend your money anywhere else. On economics alone, that's a great decision, even if I find it a bit limiting, but really, what's the point in shelling out extra money to go somewhere far away when you're satisfied with what you already know you love?

I will say that I maintain my support of the notion of getting out there and seeing what exists outside of your immediate vicinity, but I apply that to travel in general and not just parks and coasters. However, I think a point of diminishing returns is reached once your track record starts climbing into the hundreds. I have less than ten parks to go in the US that can add five or more coasters to my track record, and many of them aren't easily reached. For example, I've never been to Silverwood. I live in central Florida and to get there, I'd have to fly all the way out to Spokane, Washington, and then drive an hour and a half east. Even with the travel benefits my employer provides, that's an awful long way to go for a small amusement park. My wife and I want to visit all fifty states and that would be a nice way to check off Idaho (sorry to any Idahoans out there, but that place doesn't really scream my name), but despite the good reviews I've read of the park's wooden coasters, it would really have to be the right opportunity for me to make my way out there as opposed to spending my money on a quick trip up to Carowinds (to pick another park to which I'd have to travel by air) where I've had nothing but amazing experiences and where 3 of the best coasters B&M has ever built exist. I hate to say it, but again, unless some great opportunity came out to head to the Pacific Northwest, I'm going to way of economics and preference and giving the Carolina paradise my cash. On top of that, even though I've never been to Silverwood, I've ridden a giant inverted boomerang and the two wooden coasters, while apparently very good, are not likely to blow me away as much as Fury 325, Batman - The Ride, Boulder Dash, etc., that I've already experienced. One must consider if the new park or coaster are really that amazing to warrant the expense of planning a trip expressly for it or waiting for an opportunity to experience all an area has to offer and throwing the park in on the side.

Even during the height of my track record boosting, my yearly plan was generally a mix of new parks with places I already knew and loved. I'm sure for a lot of people here that sit on my side of the fence and say that experiencing the new is the way to go, we strike a balance, but based on my previous paragraph, I can totally respect enjoying what's already familiar and holds so many special memories.

I'm not sure how you get
"the whole idea [of riding new coasters and visiting new parks] seems dumb to me because I already go to the best parks."

out of

I don't go looking for new "credits" (the whole idea seems dumb to me), but instead focus on going to the best parks.

but OK.

Lol, were in the "How many North American Wooden Coasters" thread... not the "How many pathetic kiddie coasters" thread. Input wooden roller coasters for where he wrote "credits".

72 out of 126. #22 in rank. Top 7%. Not bad. Though I will admit I was amused to see that they were listing a dark ride as one of the wooden coasters in North America.

https://rcdb.com/13597.htm

I went off the rcdb listing when making this. I don't know if I necessarily agree, but I (and many others) take that site as the standard