TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Glenwood Caverns Discussion Thread

I rode the Haunted Mine Drop yesterday and it was actually more terrifying than I thought it would be! It certainly feels you are dropping more than 120ft. It was 10x scarier than the Canyon Swing. The only downpoints of my visit were the Cliffhanger Roller Coaster being closed and the fact that they didn't let me take my GoPro on the Alpine Coaster, even with it attached to my arm. Not that they don't allow you to take your GoPro, it's just that it needs to be attached to your head or chest (as if a camera attached to your head was safer than one in your wrists).

20621761_10155638055779243_1019128742990834640_n.thumb.jpg.8fcd8b68ff4375f06cf962e84b04497b.jpg

20622277_10155638055919243_1373725690754426493_n.jpg.fea576cdf09a5c62775d07131fae22c5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm traveling to Montrose, Colorado for a job interview next week. If all goes well we will be moving there. But I want to ride the Mine Drop and I don't see myself getting back to Colorado for some time if I dont get the job, so I plan on taking a couple days and visting Black Canyon Nat Park. Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction and of course driving the two and a half hours to Glenwood just to ride Mine Drop.

I've been Greenwood Caverns years ago. Back then it was just the caverns and the Alpine slide. This time they have so much more. So I'm really looking forward to it. I also plan on visiting Doc Holiday's grave in nearby Glenwood Springs.

I hear the weather is really great in western Colorado this winter. So I should get to do a lot in just a couple days. Hopefully I can get some good pictures.

I'm traveling to Montrose, Colorado for a job interview next week. If all goes well we will be moving there. But I want to ride the Mine Drop and I don't see myself getting back to Colorado for some time if I dont get the job, so I plan on taking a couple days and visting Black Canyon Nat Park. Colorado National Monument in Grand Junction and of course driving the two and a half hours to Glenwood just to ride Mine Drop.

I've been Greenwood Caverns years ago. Back then it was just the caverns and the Alpine slide. This time they have so much more. So I'm really looking forward to it. I also plan on visiting Doc Holiday's grave in nearby Glenwood Springs.

I hear the weather is really great in western Colorado this winter. So I should get to do a lot in just a couple days. Hopefully I can get some good pictures.

Just FYI not all rides are open this time of year. The only outdoor rides open are the Alpine Coaster and Mine Drop. If you do decide to come up, and you let me know early enough, I can probably get you hooked up.

Excited to announce that the Haunted Mine Drop won first place for best new amusement park attraction for 2017!

http://www.10best.com/awards/travel/best-new-amusement-park-attraction/

http://www.glenwoodcaverns.com/winning-ride-haunted-mine-drop/?utm_source=Haunted+Mine+Drop+Wins+10Best&utm_campaign=Octoberfest+2017&utm_medium=email

Edited by ALT2870

^Most lists like these are usually hilariously awful but it's cool to see a really unique one of a kind attraction in the top spot, that part they probably got right!

I totally agree with you and the other placements are definitely like that. Sounds like Kings Island really gave us a run for our money near the end as well.

By the way. Made my trip to Colorado. Didn't get the job. I also didn't get to Glenwood. Bummer. Winter decided to to show up while I was out there and I just didn't want to mess with driving. Good thing I had flown into Montrose and not Grand Junction.

Boy am I glad to be back in the PNW. I'm kind of glad I didn't get the job. I'll take the rain any time over snow and ice. Yeah, I know we get some snow sometimes, but it's not the same. Oh well. Hopefully I'll get to make a trip out this summer. I'm already planning to hit Lagoon. Maybe I'll take an extra day or two and drive on over the Glenwood.

• 3 years later...

How about we post the actual article?

https://www.postindependent.com/news/fatality-reported-at-glenwood-caverns-adventure-park/

Based on the information the article provided saying employees rendered aid, she didn't fall out as they would have to do this from the top. There is difficult access from the top but one would figure this would be mentioned but who knows. Very possible medical condition.

Either way this is horrible for everyone involved. Huge respect to the park for closing completely down for a couple days. This will be tough to process for everyone.

• SharkTums changed the title to Glenwood Caverns Discussion Thread

More info has been release and, well, it's seeming more likely that the young girl was thrown from the ride.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/09/06/glenwood-springs-caverns-adventure-park-haunted-mine-drop-death/

On police scanner traffic, a dispatcher is heard requesting “EMS at Glenwood Caverns for a party that fell out of the shaft ride.” The dispatcher goes on to say, “The party is at the bottom of the shaft.”

Edit - Added another source -

https://kdvr.com/news/local/glenwood-caverns-death-dispatch-audio/

Here is the full transcript of the dispatch audio:

EMS Glenwood cavern for a party that fell out of the shaft ride. Party is at the bottom of the shaft now. We’re still trying to get further.

Reporting party does not know the condition of the patient, they’re requesting you to come directly to the top and they’ll direct you in to the ride.

Patient will be a 6-year-old female and she fell approximately 110 feet.

Unknown which part of the ride the patient fell from, believe the ride was in operation when the child fell from it.

To command, we’re about to go down the mine shaft probably going to lose radio communications, sounds like she is breathing at the bottom.

Request deputies to setup a landing zone for a classic launch.

Dispatch caverns command I need another deputy to help with parents and victims advocate.

They are doing CPR down there right now.

Cancel classic for LZ (landing zone), request coroner response.

Calling coroner now.

Request response from the HOPE center also, there’s an extended family of about 20 people very distraught.

• Sad 4

41 minutes ago, KBrylczyk said:

More info has been release and, well, it's seeming more likely that the young girl was thrown from the ride.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2021/09/06/glenwood-springs-caverns-adventure-park-haunted-mine-drop-death/

Edit - Added another source -

https://kdvr.com/news/local/glenwood-caverns-death-dispatch-audio/

Devastatingly horrible!!! I feel for that family 😞

More details here as well: https://www.postindependent.com/news/glenwood-caverns-haunted-mine-drop-passed-regulations-inspection-less-than-three-months-before-death-of-6-year-old/

So indeed they either climbed down the ladder or jogged the carriage down. Absolutely devastating for all parties involved. Based on preliminary findings would not be surprised to see the other Soaring Eagle drop towers closed until the investigation wraps. @SharkTums unfortunately this is a very real probability if the child was thin and short enough. With the plastic seating if enough struggle is given even with the belts super tight, it could happen in my opinion. If the ride operators did their due diligence checking both height (when I worked there that was a high priority obviously especially with all the families) and seat-belts then it will fall under Soaring Eagle and not having an appropriate height restriction. In the end this is all speculation of course. There is a camera feed that monitors the top and bottom so a conclusion will probably come quick. (And yes, the ops have this feed in-case something happens so they saw the event sadly as well.)

Edit: Should also mention the ride has verification if the seat-belts are locked. This won't tell you if they are tight enough obviously but the ride sequence will not go if not buckled.

• Sad 1