TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Glenwood Caverns Discussion Thread

Looks interesting! But not going to lie, this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Is the first thing I thought of!

I immediately thought of this too. I always thought that ride looked cool in RTC3 and wished it was built in real life. Looks like my prayer is answered. Glenwood Caverns has always intrigued me and I'll have to eventually visit it when I finally plan to visit Colorado.

Park recently shared a video with some more details about the ride, including a few renderings of the infrastructure inside:

[fbvideonew]

[/fbvideonew]

DIRECT LINK if the video plugin doesn't work.

Based on their comments, they're still holding off releasing any specific info about the theming and effects. Hopefully they'll be willing to announce more details on that front in the near future, but either way, they're doing a great job of keeping everyone on their toes.

Based on their comments, they're still holding off releasing any specific info about the theming and effects. Hopefully they'll be willing to announce more details on that front in the near future, but either way, they're doing a great job of keeping everyone on their toes.

It's been very hush hush at the park as well. I know some details but not much. To be honest, I'd like to see them keep it that way till the end...

Look at the video below if you want to get idea of how the tower will be:

• 2 months later...

Ride itself is now being installed, and has a solid opening date projection:

KUSA - One of Colorado's most anticipated new attractions of the year, is being installed this week at Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park.

Workers had been digging out the 110-foot deep shaft that will hold the new Haunted Mine Drop ride since last fall, but just started the actual installation on Monday.

The attraction will be similar to other drop-style rides -- like Disney's Tower of Terror. It's on USA Today's list of the 12 most anticipated theme park rides of 2017.

The owner of the Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park, Steve Beckley, says being compared to a major park like Disney is an honor.

"It really makes us feel like our efforts have really come to fruition," he said.

He added having the new attraction in a small park, will be even better for visitors.

"Our attendance is much lower, so people will actually be able to come and ride it multiple times and ride all the other rides," Beckley said.

What's unique about the mine drop ride is it will resemble an actual mine shaft and will include actual mining history with a ghost story built around it.

"Basically the story is it is a 100 year-old mine that was shutdown because it was haunted. So we're reopening it and it's your first day on the job and you're going to come work for us and we drop you down this pit," Beckley said.

The goal is to have the ride open by the Fourth of July holiday, but that depends on the weather.

"Right now we are in a rainy, lightning storm and we're off the tower until that passes. So depending on weather and stuff, but our goal is to have it open by Fourth of July week," Beckley said.

The drop ride isn't the only new thing visitors will see at the park.

A new entrance and plaza, a 200-person banquet facility and a melodrama theater have also been added.

Beckley says the park is prepared for an increase in visitors wanting to check out the new features over the summer.

It now has three military-style vehicles that can carry an additional 35 people up the mountain to the park.

That's in addition to the tram ride visitors normally take.

Source

^I'm gonna assume that it's not your standard seatbelt buckle, and probably something that has a failsafe locking system. But still, a seatbelt only on a drop tower looks f**king terrifying!!!

One, how the hell are seatbelts allowed?

Two, do they lock out can they be unbuckled?

Three, why don't more parks have these?

The belts on the Canyon Flyer can only be unlocked either by the panel or a special key. (Which is really handy when you don't want to unlock every belt.) Like wise the zip ride has two belts, one regular with one with a lever both which the guest cannot get to. Seat belt only rides are nothing new.

I get off at 4:30 tomorrow so I'll probably grab some pictures. I haven't been to the site for some time now so I'm excited to see what has changed.

The Six Flags Sky Screamer rides have pretty minimal restraints, and I've wondered for a while how to have that same feeling on a drop ride. It looks like someone figured it out first.

(Sky Screamers have locking seat belts, don't they?)

If anyone is curious about the height limit, it will be 46 inches with or without an adult. I was thinking 42 because it was a Soaring Eagle ride. None the less that makes it the second shortest height limit for a thrill ride behind the zip ride. Didn't go up yesterday but from the looks of it on town, the building is starting to take shape.

^I'm gonna assume that it's not your standard seatbelt buckle, and probably something that has a failsafe locking system. But still, a seatbelt only on a drop tower looks f**king terrifying!!!

Tower of Terror does it. However, you aren't nearly as exposed as you are in that vehicle.

^I actually had completely forgotten about Tower of Terror, and I have been on that ride multiple times. However that ride does not give you any impression of being high up (except for that moment when the doors open at the top), plus you're inside a ride vehicle and not dangling your legs off the edge..

You're stalking this project harder then I am and I work at the place.

Mostly just my luck with Facebook if an update happens to be in my feed, I swear.

That's what they all say.

So first employee party of the Summer season was last night so I grabbed some pictures.

First three are from various places along the cave path.

From the switchback at the swing, the path will continue beyond the cave entrance and will hook up near the 4D theater creating a loop.

This one is from the outside dinning area at the grille.

Bonus picture of the swing at sunset.

As you can see, these guys are literally working around the clock to get this thing done. The pictureGForce posted shows the motor for the ride so hopefully we will see some testing soon!

• 1 month later...