TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Why are coaster enthusiasts weird?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because - he - was - wierd. He also camped out on a towel at the side

of the road when we had what? A few 10-15 minute rest stops?

He also - wore - tights. Many many different tights.

To a lot of us, he was really one of The Most Extreme Wierdos we had ever seen.

^ What he said.

I admit that there were a couple of socially awkward kids that I have been paired up with during ERT at TPR events (once Michael burns out from riding coasters). I recall one younger kid on Banshee that told me that he knew all of the secrets about what Cedar Point was going to do in the coming years because he had worked there the previous summer.

I had to restrain myself from asking if he was the Dippin' Dots guy, but I couldn't bring myself to say it.

Because - he - was - wierd. He also camped out on a towel at the side

of the road when we had what? A few 10-15 minute rest stops?

He also - wore - tights. Many many different tights.

To a lot of us, he was really one of The Most Extreme Wierdos we had ever seen.

This guy you're describing sounds like a big-time creep, if it's the same one that Robb talked about

I feel like it has to have something to do with the size of the crowd a hobby appeals to.

From my observation, generally Sport/Car/Fashion/TV/Movie enthusiasts are less "weird" than the Disney fans, and Disney fans are less "weird" than Cedar Point fans, Cedar Point fans are less "weird" than Holiday World fans, and then Holiday World fans are less "weird" than Arnolds Park fan. Disney fans don't seem "weird" because Disney appeals to much more people than Arnolds Park, especially for 50-year-old men. The smaller the size of the crowd something appeals to, the less mainstream it becomes. Oftentimes "weird" describes behaviors/people that are unusual or strange to mainstream society so people that enjoy "weird" things have to face lots obstacles in order to enjoy what they like. Once they overcome these obstacles, they are more likely to embrace the other "weird" things they like. There is also comparing and judging inside of the group of people that shares a common hobby. To most people, Mean Streak Henry would appear to be "weirder" than someone who rode Millennium Force 16,000 times. Think of it in a different way, those "weird" people that have to face a larger amount of pressure is actually brave! (I'm not encouraging not showering or not letting pocket vest die in the 90's though)

I don't think the B.O. is just associated with coaster nerds, there are just some really disgusting people out there. I remember once I was in line behind this guy at Sprouts grocery store, who ironically was buying ALL this healthy s***. He literally smelled like a moldy mop, soaked in p*ss and onion juice.

Edited by Superbatboy

I must be a coaster nerd if I know what Arnolds Park is which I do. Never been there but still. While most people know of Disney World or Cedar Point and Im sure a lot of people know of Holiday World,Im sure only very little know or heard of Arnolds Park. Now imagine a Lucy's Amusement Park fan! Oh and as for that smelly person in line. Omg! I so know of that smell!! That moldy mop smell!! Thats one of the worst smells ever! and its hard to tell where its coming from! Its like a mix of butt and arm pit! So gross

Anyone posting in this thread has insecurity issues. Get over it.

Oh and this...

I view this thread as a bunch of fat kids in fat camp sitting around the fire self consciously talking about how the kids in the fat camp next door are way fatter than they are, in order to feel better about themselves. (relax, it's only an analogy)

Here's how you get over it:

Step 1: Embrace the fact that this is a very nerdy hobby.

Step 2: Stop giving a crap that this is a very nerdy hobby.

This hobby attracts a ton of nerds. If you enjoy this hobby, you without a doubt have a little bit of nerd in you. Nerds tend to be weird. You probably don't realize that you're a little weird, or you don't want to admit it, so you seek out people who are much weirder than you are in order to feel better about your nerdy hobby. The problem is that you care. Just be yourself.

I see no point in this thread other than dogging really weird people so we can all feel better about ourselves, regardless of how someone will undoubtedly try to justify a different intention of this discussion. I'm not playing this game.

This is pretty much 100% accurate.

You have a bunch of weird people criticizing others in the same hobby saying the others are weird. This happens with coasters and it happens in EVERY other hobby.

People outside every hobby, think that hobby is weird to a degree. If they don't think the hobby is weird they join it, in turn making them weird.

Anyone who has an obsession is pretty much considered weird since they like that item more than the average person and with that likely comes more knowledge on that item. I admit I'm weird, but the key is to remain nice. The second you become mean or creepy, weird takes a turn for the worse.

I enjoy having special interests. Most adults my age talking about nothing but partying(nothing against partying I just dont like to going to clubs and such not very social but i do drink every once in a while),jobs/work,school,dating,starting a family or stuff about their family they already have and the agony of finance issues.(paying bills,mortgage,insurance,money for food,health care etc) That stuff does get boring fast especially when thats all 95% of the adult population talks about....and yea while the money job and family part is important it gets old when thats ALL people talk and care about! Its like being a programmed robot. So its god sent when people having special hobbies regardless of what it is. It makes our world more interesting.

I was always considered "weird" as a kid, wether it was roller coasters, horror movies or just being somewhat socially awkward. Now all I can say is I'm clean, I'm generally nice to people, and whatever baggage/issues I have I do my best to not pass on to other people, but I'll probably always be considered weird to some people.

^ Yeah - I hear you regarding coasters and horror movies . Add in my penchant for "bad horror movies" and some of my friends are just completely baffled.

I've always figured that everyone flies their "dork flag" for something. Mine happens to fly for Roller Coasters and Theme Parks.

As far as "weird" people - I think that there are odd people everywhere. When you go to an event (whether sporting, quilting, Roller Coaster, what have you...) you are generally in closer proximity to some people that would qualify as odd than you would usually be. I don't think the "enthusiast" think makes them weird - they just are weird people who are enthusiasts (if that makes any sense.)

David

I have a very difficult time taking the initial post in this thread seriously. "Weird" is a social/cultural construct. One man's norms are another man's deviance. It seems to me, DBru, that your question is not overly philosophical. On the contrary, it is not thought out well enough.

I agree that many people at coaster events have personalities that lie outside American normality, but I also agree with the statement that we "only have a personality insofar as we deviate from cultural norms". Calling someone weird doesn't get you very far. If you dislike that personality or if certain individuals are too different for you, just stay away from them.

Perhaps it's evidence of zero-sum weirdness. I would still claim we are less weird than those who never ride coasters. To have a "reason" to not be interested such as "being an adult" must require some convoluted thinking. To be too busy must be very busy indeed. Perhaps it's mostly fear, not great fear, but one easily avoided.

Perhaps it's evidence of zero-sum weirdness. I would still claim we are less weird than those who never ride coasters. To have a "reason" to not be interested such as "being an adult" must require some convoluted thinking. To be too busy must be very busy indeed. Perhaps it's mostly fear, not great fear, but one easily avoided.

And there, folks, is your answer to the question posed at the start of this thread.