TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

When people ask us why we don't do TPR tours anymore...

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was on the Scandi trip in 2014 and really hope to do another trip with TPR.

It's stunning to me some of the things the Alvey's had put up with, and even more stunning that anyone on that trip would have anything bad to say about it.

They organized a trip for 80 people or so, over two weeks, and it was pretty much flawless. We never went off schedule. The hotels, food, and parks that were included were all great.

Robb went above and beyond when ERT on Helix didn't work out. The story of people complaining or abusing the solution that was offered is truly mind boggling.

The only thing I felt after that trip was appreciation and gratitude.

Omg, I haven't read this entire thread but wow the first thing I thought of was a friend I have in Florida. She came up to Kentucky to visit and I went on and on about how awesome Cedar Point is. I grew up in Detroit and went every year and after I got married I took my husband for the first time and he became hooked as well. So I had this great trip planned, everything was ok Saturday night when we arrived, we hit a couple rides and saw a show but didn't plan on really hitting the park until the next day. When we were leaving the park it was kind of odd that there were food stands and restrooms closed but I didn't think much about. Well before going to bed I had jumped on a cedar point forum and found out there was a water main break and it was sketchy on whether the park would even open. Well that immediately got my friend going and she started complaining that it better be fixed blah, blah, blah. We were staying at the budge property on site since we didn't have season passes and wanted the benefit of early entry, etc. Well during the night a letter was left for everyone that stated the park would be opening but no early entry, she hit the roof that we paid all this money, in my head I'm thinking like they really planned this.

I knew it was going to be a horrible experience just by her attitude, well we got to the park and she immediately went to guest services complaining that she wanted money back because she couldn't get in early, it was so embarrassing. They finally gave her some front of the line passes just to shut her up and assured her almost everything was running except the water park and a few stands. Well of course she's upset about the water park but I just ignored it. We did one ride, Valravyn, which she was happy about but then it all went downhill. We went to dragster, it was down so she started complaining, I told her this happens and we will just come back. So we headed to Millennium force, big problem, she couldn't fit in the seat, she started that she wasn't any bigger than my husband and how this is so wrong, I just wanted to crawl in a hole and die, but instead rode with my husband and left her there. Once we got off she was in fine form, so we headed back to dragster but I knew in my head there was no way she was going to fit and of course she didn't. Well she started how the parks in Florida are not like this and how wrong it is, tried to tell her its for safety but she would have none of it. We then wanted to wait to get a spot for iron dragon virtual reality, when they were not there right at noon I thought she was going to blow a gasket, I said well I'm thirsty so let's get something to drink, omg, wrong thing to say, 2 stands aren't open and she went balistic, so she went to guest services and started complaining how this is the worst park ever and they aren't running the way they should and never should have even opened, I was completely mortified, the kicker was she decided we would leave and get a full refund. I was beyond upset as this was my one vacation, we don't have a car so we had to rent one and I knew we would not get another chance to cone back. She wanted to just drive back to Kentucky but I was like no I want to ride roller coasters so I said we are going to kings island. The car ride was pure hell, my poor husband had to use the restroom and she wouldn't stop. We finally got to our hotel and I said we are going out for dinner, I was not about to stay in the hotel all night, so we went to a Japanese hibachi restaurant, omg horrible, she claimed to have a migraine and all she did was sit w her head on the table never acknowledging the staff and ate 2 bites of dinner. By the time we got back I was furious as she started that we weren't going to purchase tickets for the park til the next morning as she didn't know how she was going to feel. I told my husband we are going, I don't care if she has to sit in the hotel all day. Well she was fine by morning, but I was a little leary as I didn't know if this park would be any better in her eyes, well she liked it somewhat better and fit on the rides, but in the afternoon we decided to go to the water park, she goes in the restroom and puts her bathing suit on and is walking around kings island like this, she was pissed that people were looking at her, well I wonder why, maybe because you are not supposed to walk around that park on swimwear! So after all this she decides she has to change clothes, well the restroom was busy and she went on and on about how dirty it was and this would never happen at Disney or universal, no the bathroom was not dirty. But the complaining was not done yet...the fsmikt6dryer she spent money on didn't dry her off to her liking, by this time i was ready to just go home and get her on a plane back to Florida!

You would think we would have learned our lesson to never travel with her again but oh no we didnt, she came back for a visit last month and the first night we were going to Waverly Hills Sanatorium, well she was the obnoxious one in the group, loud mouth, talking above the tour guide and taking pictures when we were not allowed to. The next day we were going to Corbin, KY for a Brantley Gilbert concert. We had paid $189 a ticket for VIP tickets that included a private acoustic performance and q&a w Brantley. My husband and I were beyond excited as this is our favorite artist, well again she started at the hotel because the rooms weren't ready yet. Then it was she didn't have a privacy sign for her room. We get to the concert venue and I could tell she was pissed off, well during the q&a my husband who is a recovering addict gave Brantley a special token he had received as Brantley is also in recovery, it was a really big deal to my husband and he got attention from Brantley which pissed her off. We got to our seats and she sat thru the entire show, looking completely miserable and having no fun. After we had a meet and greet pass, she got mad at how long the line was and then because Brantley wouldn't give her a hug, out of respect for his wife.

We have now definitely learned our lesson and will never travel with her again, so I can really emphasize with people that have had to put up with unacceptable behavior. I wish so bad my husband and I could afford to do your U.S. tour but we just can't, but I can tell you if we were ever lucky enough to attend a tour we certainly would never display the type of behavior we've been witness to!

Sorry about quoting an older story but that's absolutely horrible! I have been kicked off of a couple rides at a few parks in the nearby area over being too big and I understand that they did that for my own safety. Does she not care about getting injured or worse?

• 1 month later...

So, I am really late to this conversation. However, a recent email sparked a memory of it.

I have personally been on two TPR trips - LeviaTHON 2011 and Northeast 2010. These were absolutely the best amusement park trips I have ever been on. I knew going into it how things were, I lurked around the site a few years before deciding to go on a trip. You have to be able to laugh at yourself on this site. After finally meeting Robb in person I was able to experience first hand how excited he gets about amusement parks/coasters. I knew that he did not put up with crap so I went into these trips telling myself just follow the rules and don't start anything.

While on the trips did I notice the cliques of people, of course! I hate how people get so upset about that. I knew that there have been people that have been on many many many more trips then me and have created bonds with the Alvey's as well they have friends that travel with them while on trips. This did not bother me at all. Most everyone seemed to get along. I was able to find people who I got along with easily and we pretty much hung out the entire trips.

I do not get all the drama that people talk about. As long as you follow the rules and don't do anything stupid you will have a great time. Also know that if you have opinion about something then do not get mad if someone else does not agree. From what I remember I was smart enough to keep my mouth shut, follow the rules, and make sure I was where I needed to be when I needed to be there.

One of the trips I went on had some weather issues so Robb had to come up with a plan the last minute. There were people that complained. I thought he came up with an awesome plan and I think it worked out in everyone's favor because we got to go to Niagara Falls when it was not even part of the trip plus they were able to STILL sneak in the park we had to skip just so we all could get the credits. That was pretty awesome in my opinion.

One of the trips I went on had some weather issues so Robb had to come up with a plan the last minute. There were people that complained. I thought he came up with an awesome plan and I think it worked out in everyone's favor because we got to go to Niagara Falls when it was not even part of the trip plus they were able to STILL sneak in the park we had to skip just so we all could get the credits. That was pretty awesome in my opinion.

Yep. I remember that all very clearly. One of the most "interesting" moments of any of our trips because I got the call from the park we were supposed to go to literally MINUTES before we were leaving that the park would not be open that day due to weather.

That whole new itinerary was put together in less than an hour and Garbles did a pretty good job of detailing it out here: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1210883#p1210883

What's interesting about that whole unexpected change of events is that we ended up doing MORE on that tour because of it.

However, we still had people bitch and complain to me. I had some people tell me that they simply didn't want to go that day (which was fine) but then they were expecting me to GIVE THEM MONEY to compensate for the park loss. And even after I told them that we would still be hitting the park AND doing MORE, that wasn't good enough.

I had other people tell me we should have just gone to the park anyway so we could have at least gotten pictures from OUTSIDE the park. What? Really? You would have rather us gone to a CLOSED PARK than go do something fairly interesting?!?!?

And I'm sure there were other people that just complained because that is what they like to do.

Again, more reasons why we have taken our tours private. I just simply do not have the patience to put up with people like this anymore.

Edited by robbalvey

You seem very connected with people who seem trustworthy and very knowledgeable about the industry. Have you ever thought about organizing and planning trips while contracting a friend or close acquaintance to guide them? Seems like there is a market to organize a few of these trips per year, pay a friend who may be more tolerant of the terrible public, and turn a profit. Seems like a win - win and a good way to promote your product even further.

I'm sure time has a lot to do with it, but it was just a thought.

You seem very connected with people who seem trustworthy and very knowledgeable about the industry. Have you ever thought about organizing and planning trips while contracting a friend or close acquaintance to guide them? Seems like there is a market to organize a few of these trips per year, pay a friend who may be more tolerant of the terrible public, and turn a profit. Seems like a win - win and a good way to promote your product even further.

We actually did a couple of tests like this with some events a few years back. Without meaning to sound to egotistical, what helps make a TPR event a "TPR Event" is the touches that Elissa and I contribute. When we tried doing events with other people leading, we were told it just "wasn't the same."

And that's not to say they didn't do a good job and the events were fun, but when you develop something that is unique to someone's personality, once you take that out of the equation isn't not as marketable.

I don't know how to explain it any better, sorry.

Over the nine years of (mostly) overseas tours with you guys, anyone could see the care and effort you and Elissa put into them. Not only before they begin, but all along the way, I and others could see how you were both constantly working on the on-going schedule, to check that things were going fine, and if not, why not, and alternate choices to make along the way, etc. And the fact you actually gave a "group vote" to all of us on some tours for two choices...that was very cool of you to do, for us.

The only tour I remember it not being the two of you in all, was that 2012 China Tour, where Elissa had to leave Robb and return home early, for Kristen's schooling, etc. And then the first night flight out, got cancelled on Robb and us. And Robb did wonders keeping it together and making sure we could still visit places that now had a slight time delay. It was awesome how that re-scheduling all worked out, for everybody. And then there was "the lost park" the driver and our local guide couldn't seem to find, except you already knew where it was, Robb. What a day that was, lol! I think China was The Test of your Tour Running Skills, and you were amazing, Robb and Elissa!

Bravo to all your touring planning. And if ever, if ever... I would certainly enjoy re-touring with you all. Of course!

1789344962_ResizeofIMG_2761.JPG.c5e68222158f68574acf2da8813a1e2b.JPG

TPR 2013 Japan Tour. You guys and us guys. (o: I forgot your face always does that, Robb. Hmmm.

We actually did a couple of tests like this with some events a few years back. Without meaning to sound to egotistical, what helps make a TPR event a "TPR Event" is the touches that Elissa and I contribute. When we tried doing events with other people leading, we were told it just "wasn't the same."

And that's not to say they didn't do a good job and the events were fun, but when you develop something that is unique to someone's personality, once you take that out of the equation isn't not as marketable.

I don't know how to explain it any better, sorry.

This is a "smaller scale" than an entire tour, but I attended the SFDK day of Bay Area Bash two years in a row when it was offered, one year when you and Elissa attended, and one year when someone else led it. While both years we had similar "perks," I can definitely say the experience and overall vibe was better in the year you guys attended.

This is a "smaller scale" than an entire tour, but I attended the SFDK day of Bay Area Bash two years in a row when it was offered, one year when you and Elissa attended, and one year when someone else led it. While both years we had similar "perks," I can definitely say the experience and overall vibe was better in the year you guys attended.

Yep, this is exactly one of the events I was referring to. Part of me wishes we could do "regional events" without us being there, but then it's sort of not really a "TPR Event" if you know what I mean.

Again, not trying to sound super egotistical, but Elissa and I are the heart & soul of TPR for better or for worse, and without us there I'm not sure it's quite the same. And hey, those people who don't like us, or don't like what we add to an event (and trust me there are MANY who don't) we aren't offended and happy there are other options out there for you!

Yep. I remember that all very clearly. One of the most "interesting" moments of any of our trips because I got the call from the park we were supposed to go to literally MINUTES before we were leaving that the park would not be open that day due to weather.

That whole new itinerary was put together in less than an hour and Garbles did a pretty good job of detailing it out here: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1210883#p1210883

What's interesting about that whole unexpected change of events is that we ended up doing MORE on that tour because of it.

However, we still had people bitch and complain to me. I had some people tell me that they simply didn't want to go that day (which was fine) but then they were expecting me to GIVE THEM MONEY to compensate for the park loss. And even after I told them that we would still be hitting the park AND doing MORE, that wasn't good enough.

I had other people tell me we should have just gone to the park anyway so we could have at least gotten pictures from OUTSIDE the park. What? Really? You would have rather us gone to a CLOSED PARK than go do something fairly interesting?!?!?

And I'm sure there were other people that just complained because that is what they like to do.

Again, more reasons why we have taken our tours private. I just simply do not have the patience to put up with people like this anymore.

For what its worth I think you guys did an amazing job. I loved the museum and being able to get a pretty good length of time on the Canadian side of the falls. I can't wait to get myself in a position financially to be able to participate again.

• 2 months later...
For what its worth I think you guys did an amazing job. I loved the museum and being able to get a pretty good length of time on the Canadian side of the falls. I can't wait to get myself in a position financially to be able to participate again.

Thanks. Much appreciated. There's a chance we will open up trips again, a bit more privately and quietly, and if anyone is interested, they should probably make an effort to email us, you know, to really show they have interest. Annoying people need not apply.

if anyone is interested, they should probably make an effort to email us, you know, to really show they have interest. Annoying people need not apply.

I demand gluten free and vegan meal options. I'll be the guy wearing cat tee shirts who only talks when it's inappropriate, when I'm interrupting, or if I'm bitching, which will be frequently. Don't worry, just because you won't always hear me as I creep over your shoulder you will definitely be able to smell me.

Now pardon me while I ask where to sign up, despite the information already being provided.

if anyone is interested, they should probably make an effort to email us, you know, to really show they have interest. Annoying people need not apply.

I demand gluten free and vegan meal options. I'll be the guy wearing cat tee shirts who only talks when it's inappropriate, when I'm interrupting, or if I'm bitching, which will be frequently. Don't worry, just because you won't always hear me as I creep over your shoulder you will definitely be able to smell me.

Now pardon me while I ask where to sign up, despite the information already being provided.

Your post would be HILARIOUS if so much of it wasn't actual reality!

^^I may not have been on a TPR trip, but considering the other travel groups I have been in, there is a descent chance you would not even be the worst person on the trip even if all that was real.

From people I’ve met/dealt with in these travel groups, I totally see what Robb and Elissa are talking about.

• 4 months later...