TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

When people ask us why we don't do TPR tours anymore...

This sort of attitude only got worse and by the Scandi 2014 trip, which is actually the tour that killed TPR tours with the most amount of appalling and obnoxious behavior, like the guy where I hand him the TOTALLY FREE TPR backpack and he tells me "this bag is 10% too small. I can't fit all my stuff in it." "Fu*ck you pal, carry less crap and try being less of an a$$hole" was pretty much my response.

Another story was at Liseberg and Helix broke down during ERT so I was working with the park to allow us to use our TPR wristbands to get one ride in later on that day going up the exit. Some of the park people overheard our idiot participants saying how they would use their wristband to abuse that privilege and keep going multiple times. (seriously, how big of a moron do you have to be to actually talk about this IN FRONT of park staff?!?!) When I announced to the group that plan wasn't going to work out because a couple of our dumbass participants ruined it for everyone else the guy looked at me and said "Fu*ck you Alvey" like as though somehow it was MY FAULT that he was a dumbshit and said outloud that he was planning to abuse the system.

And then watching some absolutely horrible, just flat out HORRIBLE behavior during what was supposed to be a totally fun "grand prix" go-kart race at Powerpark where this one woman sat there and spewed vile disparaging remarks about Elissa in earshot where we can hear her, because Elissa knocked her out of the final round, and then when we walked in the room, she pretended to be best friends with Elissa.

Don't even get me started on the creepy af guy who wouldn't shower, was hanging around the kids areas shirless just a little too much, caused drama at just about every park we went to, and then during an ERT split off from the group and harassed a ride op to let him wear the maintenance harness and go climb a lift hill of a roller coaster!!! YES!!! I'm not making this crap up!!!

And that was only a few examples of constant snowflake behavior on that trip.

I hate to hear this (but understand) as this trip was my first time going overseas and I had an amazing time!

The Liseberg situation was over the top and I was there. I couldn't believe people didn't see that you, Elissa and the park were working so hard to fix the problem. The park even took about 15 of us and walked us up the exit on 2/3 coasters, I mean I didn't even expect that.

I'd never have been able to plan that trip on my own, let alone the perks. Thanks again!

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Liseberg situation was over the top and I was there. I couldn't believe people didn't see that you, Elissa and the park were working so hard to fix the problem.

Nope. They didn't give a crap. Because they didn't care about whatever it was Elissa and I were doing, they only cared about themselves and it clearly stood out to us on that trip that to many people what we were doing was no longer appreciated, and anything we did was never enough.

The Liseberg situation was over the top and I was there. I couldn't believe people didn't see that you, Elissa and the park were working so hard to fix the problem.

Nope. They didn't give a crap. Because they didn't care about whatever it was Elissa and I were doing, they only cared about themselves and it clearly stood out to us on that trip that to many people what we were doing was no longer appreciated, and anything we did was never enough.

This is the problem with so many people today. People only care about themselves and would be damned to give a shit about others, and even be thankful for what others do do for them. It's disgusting.

There's probably a lonngggg list of quality members that would have rather been on that trip. I don't really understand how someone can write a sterling review, commend and compliment up and down then...try to recall every detail as the opposite? Not really going to spend any more time trying to figure that one out.

It's unforgivable, indecent, and the lowest cheap shot to attack someone's child. FFS. Disgusting.

I've been on this forum for a long time and seen people drop off, but from what I've seen/heard it boils down to something extremely trivial that they didn't like/were let down on. And they dwell on it for sometime and each time they talk about it becomes a more and more exaggerated story. That seems to be the common theme when looking from the outside in.

TPR was once a niche group, but even though it's gotten bigger and adapted with the times I believe the core of this site is still there.

Theme parks, roller coasters, & donkeys.

Have some sense of humor, don't get offended when someone says "your favorite ride doesn't have ejector air, it's floater", and don't read a post and try to imagine someone's tone of voice with it.

When I was a freshmen in high school, I posted on a forum here asking about the trips, basically saying that I was hoping to go on one as a bit of a senior gift when I graduated high school. Four years later, that dream became a reality and I attended the New Hotness 2012 tour.

From the onset, things were so, so organized. We had a dedicated forum where Robb and Elissa answered questions and helped us all get to know each other better. They set the bar so high for what a trip could be. They even asked what our favorite snacks were and Elissa made one big trip to fill a giant garbage bag with them. They took pictures constantly (hundreds a day) and I still have the folders of them all on my desktop for easy reference. Just a few examples. The surprises were all welcomed and nothing went wrong that they could feasibly control. Even on the forums, I noticed quite a few people were asking a lot of questions that would frustrate me if I were in charge, but you always kept their cool and class.

I had a great time on the trip, but yeah, I certainly remember some people who were just ungrateful or difficult to travel with. Everyone wants to bring their ego and privilege into things, but when you travel with a group, you give up some of your individuality. Everyone needs to be treated the same. And believe me, we were treated so well!

GreatAdventure_046.thumb.jpg.bdfec2fd1f7c0101ac35865ceaff9fad.jpg

Im new to the forum...been lurking for years. I personally do not know anyone on here but you just know and understand how things are from just reading the posts. Like Rob says right at the start...you have to have a sense of humor to be part of things. And to attack someone on there own personal FB page is insane. Its your page and you have the right to say what you want and how you feel.

I get so disappointed when I hear how terribly the Scandi 2014 tour went. I wanted to go on this tour bad, but was unable to get the time off of work to do so. These people were so lucky to be able to visit such a great area of the world, let alone experience it on a TPR tour. I just visited Sweden/Norway this past year and can definitely say it was my favorite over-seas experience yet! The complaints Robb listed a page or two ago are just mind numbing!

Another story was at Liseberg and Helix broke down during ERT so I was working with the park to allow us to use our TPR wristbands to get one ride in later on that day going up the exit. Some of the park people overheard our idiot participants saying how they would use their wristband to abuse that privilege and keep going multiple times. (seriously, how big of a moron do you have to be to actually talk about this IN FRONT of park staff?!?!) When I announced to the group that plan wasn't going to work out because a couple of our dumbass participants ruined it for everyone else the guy looked at me and said "Fu*ck you Alvey" like as though somehow it was MY FAULT that he was a dumbshit and said outloud that he was planning to abuse the system.

OMFG! WHY!? Why would you abuse the wristband, which was a bonus, like that!? We had Night ERT on Helix in response to the breakdown in the morning. So you could get multiple rides then (which was awesome). You had the Night ERT and you were able to get a bonus ride with the wristband. None of that was in the itinerary. All added on the spot because of technical difficulties in Morning ERT. And you have to exploit that to grab more for yourself!? It's people like this that make me a misanthrope.

I was really interested in eventually going on a TPR tour, but I could never pull the trigger in fear of being stuck on a bus with some (not all) weird and obnoxious people. I don't know what it is about this hobby that attracts some really strange obsessive people. This tool is a perfect example of the types of individuals I tend to avoid. However, you have to admit it's pretty entertaining. If anything, it just creates more publicity for TPR.

All I know is that the East Coast Bash I attended a few years ago was amazing, and I got to experience things I would never be able to do just buying a regular park ticket. And for the record, Robb was right to scold the people "booing" the management when they answered questions about the trims on Intimidator 305 at the time. F'ing rude! I think some of those assholes actually expected the park brass to walk up the catwalk and unscrew the brakes.

What deplorable, disgusting behavior! The amount of entitlement some people have is mind blowing. These people need to grow up, get out, and live their life because sitting behind a computer acting like a sniveling biotch like the world owes them something is getting them nowhere. Like, earth and all the humans on it are an insignificant speck of dust floating in an infinitely vast universe so the fact that these individuals have their panties in a wad over stuff as insignificant as this is ridiculous. Just because you've paid money to be a part of an event and/or tour doesn't give you the right to bring your ungrateful, disrespectful, diarrhea attitude along with you, especially when you've done none of the planning. I don't blame you for stopping the tours because of such vile behavior. If I were in your shoes I probably would have bailed long before then! lol

Clearly for these people though, it sounds like being able to obtain their bragging rights for a few inane factoids and credit counts to spew off on the forum was more important than being a respectful individual towards the people who made the trip happen for them. I mean, I love being around people that share the same passions as I do, but sometimes certain individuals take it a bit far and eventually all that BS coming out of their mouths falls on deaf ears. Like, I thought we're here to have fun and enjoy what we love, not get into some pissing contest over who's the most "experienced" enthusiast...

For me personally, I only ever got around to attending WCB 2009, the one where we had the hail storm. It was SUCH an epic time! Between all the ERT, fun scavenger hunt games, free souvenirs, hard hat tour of Terminator/Apocalypse, provided lunch, and that unforgettable hail storm, I'd be shocked to hear about any drama from that event, but I'm sure there were a couple things... like, I don't know, somebody being ticked they couldn't get their credit on whatever kiddie coaster because of a height limit or something. I could see the yelp review now: "Everything about the event was impeccable, but I couldn't ride the kiddie coaster because I was too tall!! 1 star!!" lol

^^It seems to happen any time there is a big gathering of "nerds" and "geeks" I never been to a convention before but as an example I heard and read about the horror stories that go on at events like animecons,bronycons,comiccons,etc. Everything from not bathing,to stalking and creeping,to harassing others and down right insulting others. Invading others personal spaces. Causing fights. Getting kicked out,etc. Obviously not all nerds and geeks are like this but I wonder what is with these type events that does attract such odd people. I know myself can come off as odd and different but a lot of the stuff I read about all these type of events makes scratched my head and ask wtf?? Im actually surprised to hear this happens in the coaster community I just thought it was only a "weeb" or "brony" type thing but I guess its common in all special interests groups.

I was really interested in eventually going on a TPR tour, but I could never pull the trigger in fear of being stuck on a bus with some (not all) weird and obnoxious people. I don't know what it is about this hobby that attracts some really strange obsessive people. This tool is a perfect example of the types of individuals I tend to avoid. However, you have to admit it's pretty entertaining. If anything, it just creates more publicity for TPR.

Sadly, pretty much every hobby event or trip or forum attracts these kind of people. That's why it is just best to stick with your friends!

I don't know, man. I play ice hockey with a lot of guys and all of them are really normal, with the exception of a few douchebags. Most of the car meets I've attended have pretty normal people as well. There's just something about this hobby that seems to attract some really strange and obnoxious people. Not most people, but some.

And for the record, Robb was right to scold the people "booing" the management when they answered questions about the trims on Intimidator 305 at the time. F'ing rude! I think some of those assholes actually expected the park brass to walk up the catwalk and unscrew the brakes.

OMG! Yes, I remember this. Seriously, I was NOT going to put up with our people "booing" the park management right after they just built a giant multi-million dollar amazing roller coaster! I don't remember exactly what I said, but I think it was something to the effect of "How dare all of you people BOO the park after everything they have just done for you, after having just built this amazing ride. Anyone here who feels the need to boo the park can get up and leave and we don't ever want to see them at one of our events again."

Was that about right?

I seriously won't put up with that crap and if people don't like the fact that I will call them out on their bullshit then they don't need to be part of our group. One common thing I hear from parks all the time is they tell me "Robb, the reason why we love you is because you say the things that we are all thinking, but we aren't allowed to say" and they usually are referring to when I'm giving self-entitled douchebags crap online for their horrible behavior.

I'm happy to be the guy that tells the idiots of the coaster enthusiast world to piss off!

Was that about right?

That's how I remember it going down at the picnic shelter. And thank goodness you did. I NEVER thought in a million years we'd get a giga in Doswell, and then to f***** BOO them?!

Management was super cool that day. One of the guys talked to me about Anaconda after I rode. I told him how much I loved the older Arrow loopers. He said he appreciated that feedback and told me not to worry, it "isn't going anywhere."

I'm a big fan of TPR and have been for years. The videos and photos make me laugh out loud. My favorite has to be the "we are on a log flume" video

That complainer sounds stupid as he said (back then) he enjoyed the trip he complained about recently. For every TPR hater, there are probably 10 or more fans. I've almost pulled the trigger on going to one-day events somewhat near me a couple of times.

All I know is that the East Coast Bash I attended a few years ago was amazing, and I got to experience things I would never be able to do just buying a regular park ticket. And for the record, Robb was right to scold the people "booing" the management when they answered questions about the trims on Intimidator 305 at the time. F'ing rude! I think some of those assholes actually expected the park brass to walk up the catwalk and unscrew the brakes.

Booing the management only makes the booers look like fools!

Most of the car meets I've attended have pretty normal people as well.

Eh, I don't know man. I'm a car guy myself and I've come across some awfully stuck up and obnoxious people in the car world. It's probably the hobby where I've encountered that the most, to be honest.

Anyway, I think the superior quality of TPR and their trips/events over the years honestly speak for themselves, and speak way louder than any negativity thrown at them. There is always going to be people trying to bring others down, but the product Robb and Elissa put on the table seems to be second to none, and kudos to them for what they put up with. I've only met Robb once, but even though he was incredibly busy in the middle of filming stuff for the Travel Channel, he still stopped to shake my hand, say hello, and make some small talk. A real stand-up guy.

One thing I never understood is the amount of energy people put into hating on others. I understand that not everything is everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine, but if "Stan G" spent the time and energy doing something more productive like maybe helping out those less fortunate than he is instead of writing long and unnecessary hate rants about TPR, the world would be a better place.

I have to say... that first post made me cringe reading what this guy said. I have seen an unreasonable amount of people throw salt at Robb over the years and I just couldn't figure it out. I don't think I could maintain a site like this which is always growing, manage social media , plan trips, and provide fun to Coaster fans while simultaneously needing to fend off the trolls. I just wouldn't have the patience for it. On my first ever trip to the west coast before I moved there , the Alveys met me and my girlfriend at Magic Mountain, hooked us up with fast passes, and spent a good half a day with us touring the park.

To me this was beyond kind , Add to that the fact that since then I have attended many TPR events, albeit I have become more "quiet and to myself" over the years when at these events. I see the annoying fanboys , the complainers, and the entitled assholes who can't stop whining and I just don't know how you deal with it all. I apologize for the fact that you have to deal with these folks. I hope you know they are just jealous, awkward creatures that don't understand when they are being given a gift. This is a great place to visit , a great group of people, and even though I see you guys at the parks and maybe keep to myself a bit... I appreciate Robb and Elissa's patience, kindness, and dedication to this site. Thank you for all you do every day and will never forget all you do for us!

IMG_4533.JPG.bc0d35a50cbf77f7977f468f81a8eef4.JPG

Will never forget your kindness!

This thread is really something.

Robb, I personally think it's a shame you had to let trips go because of a few bad apples. But then again, I don't think I'll ever be able to handle it at all if I were in your place.

When I read comments on your videos, I always see people who criticize you on your channel for "overreacting" to some idiot comment's response (haters gonna hate, amirite?), but only now I've realized that it takes a special kind of self-control to not react like that, especially when you have to deal with this kind of stuff constantly. Both on YouTube and on the forum. I'm glad though that you're not letting that get in the way and you're still having fun with TPR and I guess that's what the site is all about.

But seriously, that guy who attacked Kristen (for no sensible reason, too) was really disgusting. You did well to ban him. And that's the FIRST time I've ever said anything like that on this forum.

Stay awesome!

Sorry to hear you had to deal with such horrid people on your groups, Robb. You had every reason to stop doing tours openly and be selective on who you bring on future trips. For a man to hold such a grudge for such a long time, enough to go out of their way to verbally insult you and your family?! There's no more argument to be had, because there's absolutely no valid reason to wrap others like your child in nonsense like this.

There's much more to one's existence than being petty over things that upset you over the internet. Him and his 300 friends need to consider moving on with their lives.

It saddens me that there were folks who not only didn't appreciate what was provided to them in some of these events, but often spit it back claiming that it wasn't enough. People have to take a step back and realize how lucky they were/are for being able to experience certain things many, many others could only dream of being part of. The younger me that joined this website about 6 years ago dreamed of even being able to do a trip out of the country solely to hit amusement parks, let alone attend a TPR tour or event.

Closest I was part of something was persuading my parents to help me attend East Coast Bash 2012, which to this day still stands as the best group-organized coaster event I had ever attended. On occasion, I was able to see how much effort Robb was putting into making these events an unforgettable experience, tackling the juggle of leading tours, taking care of business on the fly, and handle social media, all at the same time. You guys pour a lot of love into the things you do, and the hard work put in definitely shows, so thank you for everything you do.

But if enough people can't appreciate even the simplest of things that you or the parks you work with provide them, then you have every right to stop it. There's no sense in going forward with it if the hard work goes to waste and the experience suffers thanks to some bad apples.

Midgetman "lowkey considered throwing in the towel on enthusiast community since 2015" 82

Shame that some people are so full of themselves and not caring about the efforts of Robb and Elissa and the hard work put into these trips. I'm one of those that would love to be a part of those adventures but sadly my life situation prevents me from doing so. I remember some of those nitwits from the Rec-Rollercoaster forums and the swill that was spewed about TPR. I mean isn't the point of all of this is to share an interest and have fun together doing so? All those crybabies out there expecting everything to be handed to them on silver platters and to their desire alone. It kind of reflects a lot of what's going on in this country right now. Many morons rioting over whose candidate won the presidency. People wanting their safe spaces, free handouts without working for them, they want their rights recognized but only for them and not all. Robb I've never personally met you but based on what I have learned about you and your wife and the hard work you both put into this community here, I have to say you sound like the kind of people I would love to hang with someday if possible. I live just a little ways north of Orlando so who knows. I won one of those bags of crap during the video contests a while back. That alone was a very nice gesture on your part and I can imagine what the out of pocket costs must be just on shipping alone. Thanks again for that by the way! With that said, keep up the great work you do here, I enjoy chiming in from time to time and reading up on current Coaster happenings.

One guy ran into a plastic garbage can during TPR Quest and acted as if he had just lost a leg in Vietnam and had the PR team basically consoling him in the middle of picnic area as they were obviously worried about a potential B.S. lawsuit even though everyone knew the guy was fine. I happened to look up on "stage" to see Elissa understandably rolling her eyes in disgust. Who wouldn't vent???

OMG! Don't even get me started on this! His "injury" if my memory serves correctly had more to do with the fact that his ex-girlfriend showed up at the event with her new boyfriend and he was trying to play the "oh, I'm hurt" sympathy card on her. I wanted to be all "Um, this is WHY she's not your girlfriend anymore!!!!!" Ugh, I hate people.

I have been racking my brain for two days to remember the parties involved. The incident is fresh in my mind and was exactly as Robb described it but I couldn't remember the names. I finally recalled the name of the guy taking the tumble and now I can't stop laughing. Good Times.

It sounds like a combination of a lack of awareness of the work it takes to create a great ride and the effort required to put on an incredible event along with a super-boosted sense of self-entitlement that all seem to be the culprit here.

I bet you these are the same folks who would look at Mystic Manor and complain that it wasn't the same ride system as any of the other interpretations of Haunted Mansion.

It sounds like a combination of a lack of awareness of the work it takes to create a great ride and the effort required to put on an incredible event along with a super-boosted sense of self-entitlement that all seem to be the culprit here.

The culprit is that people are assholes and they don't know how to control themselves, even when on a really kick-ass vacation.