TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

When people ask us why we don't do TPR tours anymore...

If you hate TPR and Robb so much, why are still talking about him? Seriously, if you hate the why its run, make a coaster site the way you want it and wish TPR was run. Do something productive and have some fun. I can't imagine hating someone who just runs a coaster site all day to be much fun.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really take issue with an adult using someone's child to cause hurt or to get back out of anger. It's not just the guy that was being quoted; if anyone did that I believe they have something wrong with them mentally. There are just lines you don't cross no matter how angry you are.

If you're part of a group dedicated to hating one person and you can't decide on the best way to hate, perhaps it's time to move on with your life.

Just a thought.

Couldn't agree more, Chuck. Every trip I've done with Robb and Elissa has been awesome, but I guess some people just prefer to find things to whine about rather than enjoy themselves.

So what I'm getting here is that Robb is a massively horrible human being for doing what we all do? Jeebus and I thought us fabulous ones had all the flare! Honestly Robb & the whole TPR family have been by far the nicest coolest and funniest fricken people I've met! From the sleep over back at SFMM for the Tatsu opening, to running amok in NYC & Coney Island, they honestly are beyond giving & caring.

Sounds to me like that guy is sadly living in a cesspool of drama.

#itsLineJumpingLETITGO

I mean 5 years of fuming and the sad part he states that he will still see them and start shit... as i was always told, "don't start none, & there won't be none!"

"don't start none, & there won't be none!"

We used to have only one rule on our trips besides "don't be late" and that was "don't do anything stupid" which also pretty much encompases what you said. By the time we stopped doing trips, we had to have a list of about 25 rules, every single one of them created due to some stupid obnoxious thing someone did on our tours. I just couldn't take it anymore...

I'm sure in your profession you can relate EXACTLY to what I'm talking about!

Edited by robbalvey

I'd like to say a few things about that "spoiled pain in the ass spawn"

Kristen is far from spoiled and she is certainly not a pain in the ass. Of course she enjoys some traveling benefits that most other kids don't, but it's not all a picnic for her on these trips. She was a real trooper over the years being pushed around in the world's most traveled stroller and many times not being able to ride much. Other kids you would have to bribe parents after subjecting them an amusement park with ridiculously high height minimums, especially during ERT sessions. But Kristen is content trying to win prizes with the money she earns riding kiddie coasters with socially inept adults. Quite frankly I think Elissa enjoys playing those games more than Kristen.

Kristen is the most well mannered, behaved and socially aware kid I have met in the past 15 years, and I work with kids. She is also very smart. Spoiled kids get all the material things they ask for, but most of the things Kristen asks for are educational in nature. I've traveled on many TPR trips over the years (including this 2012 New Hotness Tour) and never saw Kristen throw and tantrum, run around unsupervised or make a huge fuss. I can not see how someone would get this impression of her, it is just vindictive to make a swipe like that at a child.

Hobby

ˈhäbē/Submit

noun

1.An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

If you have to attack someone personally as well as their family/child over something like theme parks and coasters which are meant to be fun, then yes it is time to move on. Because....It is simply NOT A HOBBY ANYMORE. I really don't get people, it boils down to the mentality of todays world. For 75% of people if something doesn't go their way even a tiny bit one time they don't know how to handle it.

TPR is an amazing site. I'm glad there is a forum like this were there is a community into the hobby that can joke around and not take everything 1,00 percent serious. Its a perfect balance, as someone mentioned before some enthusiasts out there are just down right weird when it comes to their obsession. Be thankful you can log on to here make a joke and post a picture of the beer you just enjoyed at your local park.

I'd like to say a few things about that "spoiled pain in the A$$ spawn"

Kristen is far from spoiled and she is certainly not a pain in the A$$. Of course she enjoys some traveling benefits that most other kids don't, but it's not all a picnic for her on these trips. She was a real trooper over the years being pushed around in the world's most traveled stroller and many times not being able to ride much. Other kids you would have to bribe parents after subjecting them an amusement park with ridiculously high height minimums, especially during ERT sessions. But Kristen is content trying to win prizes with the money she earns riding kiddie coasters with socially inept adults. Quite frankly I think Elissa enjoys playing those games more than Kristen.

Kristen is the most well mannered, behaved and socially aware kid I have met in the past 15 years, and I work with kids. She is also very smart. Spoiled kids get all the material things they ask for, but most of the things Kristen asks for are educational in nature. I've traveled on many TPR trips over the years (including this 2012 New Hotness Tour) and never saw Kristen throw and tantrum, run around unsupervised or make a huge fuss. I can not see how someone would get this impression of her, it is just vindictive to make a swipe like that at a child.

Thank you.

it is just vindictive to make a swipe like that at a child.

And this is 100% correct. Any actual issue that guy may have had with us loses all credibility and respect when he takes a shot at someone's child, especially when what he is saying isn't even close to being true. Another shining example of why we stopped doing tours. Or at least stopped doing tours for people like that guy.

Huh.... so this is very, very interesting. I just found the trip report that this guy made from the New Hotness tour that he attended. Take a look...

http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1218348#p1218348

Isn't it a little strange that he says things like:

"I was a little hesitant to throw down the money I did for the New Hotness tour, but let me tell you, once my 12 days was over and I was back home relaxing in my chair, recounting the experiences I had, the coasters I rode, the friends I made, the trip was every bit worth the money I spent on it"

and

"Robb and Elissa go out of their way to make these things eventful for the participants, and deserve more kudos that I can possibly give."

and

"hands down it was one of the best investments I have ever made"

to end up making such horrible comments about us on a page dedicated to hating us??? And if you read his report, just listen to all the amazing things we got for everyone on that trip. Between the ERTs, the backstage tours, all the additional perks and cool stuff, how could anyone possibly complain? But they do. And that is why we will not do tours like this anymore for people like this guy. It's no longer worth our time or effort to put together something we feel is so fun and amazing for everyone to be ruined by some guy who ends up holding a grudge for five years over an insignificant argument and then suddenly changes his tune making us look like the bad guys (and our child on top of it!)

So many of these people have such serious mental issues and we will not put up with it any longer.

What I would do just to go on one of those trips. You could tell me when I was allowed to piss and I wouldn't care.

It's not even just coaster enthusiasts, it's society as a whole that has this attitude of self entitlement. Everybody thinks they should be treated as King, while everyone else is only there to serve them.

And gee, you know what else is interesting about that trip he was on? Out of the 48 people who were on that tour, 44 of them are still members of TPR! So wow, you know, if there was such a huge turnover of TPR members on that trip and so many problems or drama or issues, wouldn't there be more people blocked? Congratulations, dude, you were one of 4 people on the trip that didn't make it on TPR!

So the problem clearly isn't with us...

This thread has reminded me how much fun I had on New Hotness! My small group on the trip had a wonderful time and didn't include ourselves in any drama. I appreciate all the work you (Robb) put into making sure EVERYONE had a great time. I could never have the patience required to deal with countless weirdos for 12 days straight.

I sure hope the post-2013 cleanse has made the trips a little more fun again!

FYI - My personal rule of thumb: If you ever see someone talking about how terrible TPR is online, chances are they are weirdos with no social-awareness in real life!

I just find it completely and utterly baffling that people choose to spend their time and energy going to such lengths as creating/joining/posting in a FB group dedicated to whining about and hating on anyone for any reason at all. Especially in a hobby centered around fun!! Go outside you jerkoffs! What the hell. Get. A. Life.

Unfortunately for me Ive so far missed any TPR tours or events, but I've checked out, and even joined a few coaster forums and always come back to TPR, because I appreciate the community and types of people that surround the site and club, and so far had nothing but great encounters with and even become good friends with some awesome people here. I appreciate that there is a forum with the balance of intelligent, thoughtful discussion, insightful info, a twisted sense of humor (most important), an appreciation for life outside of roller coasters, and posters that can actually type in legible, full sentences with proper spelling, grammar and punctuation. You guys do a great job of weeding out the twats.

True story: Early on in my TPR days I got banned for being a dick to someone. I emailed Robb. Not to apologize with my tail between my legs, but to explain that I was just making a sarcastic joke and my tone was off and to state that I understood it was his site and obviously he could do what he wanted. And he responded, and was totally cool. Showed me respect when I showed him respect, and that's something I can respect.

Its a shame people quickly forget the fact that you create, pay for and maintain all of this - this site, the socials, the tours, etc. It's gotta be more than a full time job and I'd imagine a little insane. I'd like to see any of these sh*ttalkers try.

Also bringing your kid into the discussion is absolutely abhorrent. F*#k that dude.

I really take issue with an adult using someone's child to cause hurt or to get back out of anger. It's not just the guy that was being quoted; if anyone did that I believe they have something wrong with them mentally. There are just lines you don't cross no matter how angry you are.

Totally agree and after reading his trip report it definitely seems like something is mentally wrong. Sounds like it was an awesome trip so the change of heart and hate is just incredible. Definitely can understand why the Alveys wouldn't want to do this anymore.

I've never had the opportunity to join a tour like this but would absolutely love to at some point in the future.

True story: Early on in my TPR days I got banned for being a dick to someone. I emailed Robb. Not to apologize with my tail between my legs, but to explain that I was just making a sarcastic joke and my tone was off and to state that I understood it was his site and obviously he could do what he wanted. And he responded, and was totally cool. Showed me respect when I showed him respect, and that's something I can respect.

Here. THIS! While I don't actually remember this happening, I can tell you that in 100% of the cases when someone emails me who is level-headed, mature, and professional, it always, ALWAYS ends up favorable for the person who has instigated the email to me.

If you email me hot-headed giving me crap about something and being obnoxious, I have no time for you and your lack of presence here on the forums will not impact me in the slightest.

I am now going to go look this up!

I'd like to thank Larry for writing such nice words about KT, I will make sure NOT to show her so it doesn't go to her head!

Seriously though, I stay out of the drama much more than Robb does, but if you bring my child into it, you're a whole other level of crap to me!

I never been on a trip like this before but it sounds like they were a lot of fun! However if you dont mind me asking what type of stuff did the bad people do? From what I seen in this thread it must of been pretty bad. Was it really just social awkwardness or stuff a lot more serious like harming others,harassing others, starting fights,stealing,drugs etc. It's a shame how a few crappy people like that could ruin something for everyone else

I've never been on any organised trips like this but I can imagine that it can be stressful when you're travelling as a family with a young child and are also in charge of the entire event and feel like you have to please everyone and their individual needs. Also wanted to add that making such comments about someone's kid is completely below the belt and so not ok!

We're all joined by the fact that we share this love for something that most people consider nerdy or even weird, and even though I've never met anyone on this site in person I'm still grateful that it exists and that we have a place to meet, if only online.

I went back and looked at my personal Facebook page because I was curious to see what this guy was talking about. I don't delete posts on my FB page and what was interesting is that I couldn't find ANYTHING remotely matching what he was claiming I was posting about during the tour! I did post this after the tour was over:

78435015_ScreenShot2017-01-17at20_22_23.png.384b049b7cb60f9a74f00a488b0df42d.png

and I'm not exactly sure which trip reports these were referring but I don't think my comments in that post are terrible at all. At least no where near as bad as calling out someone's child! Seriously, I'm beginning to think that everything this guy wrote in that original post I quoted is just 100% made-up full of sh*t. Just like the majority of things we see written about us on the internet...

Edited by robbalvey

I never been on a trip like this before but it sounds like they were a lot of fun! However if you dont mind me asking what type of stuff did the bad people do? From what I seen in this thread it must of been pretty bad. Was it really just social awkwardness or stuff a lot more serious like harming others,harassing others, starting fights,stealing,drugs etc. It's a shame how a few crappy people like that could ruin something for everyone else

We've seen it all. Things you wouldn't want to believe people would do on a roller coaster tour...but they do!

I went back and looked at my personal Facebook page because I was curious to see what this guy was talking about. I don't delete posts on my FB page and what was interesting is that I couldn't find ANYTHING remotely matching what he was claiming I was posting about during the tour! I did post this after the tour was over:

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 20.22.23.png[/attachment]

and I'm not exactly sure which trip reports these were referring but I don't think my comments in that post are terrible at all. At least no where near as bad as calling out someone's child! Seriously, I'm beginning to think that everything this guy wrote in that original post I quoted is just 100% made-up full of sh*t. Just like the majority of things we see written about us on the internet...

Why are you letting facts get in the way of a good story

These people are the exact reason I'm not a member of any club and try to distance myself from a lot of enthusiasts. They take this hobby way to seriously.

As someone who has also worked in parks, you know what I mean when I say the normal guests can sometimes be challenging themselves, but then you throw "coaster enthusiast" mentality and attitude on top of it, and 90% of the time you get someone who have zero interest in dealing with.

for both of these posts.

Generally speaking when me and other associates work with the GP they ask us to push down their restraints very tight. When the "enthusiasts" come they will sit down, try to leave their restraints halfway up then get an attitude when we push them down to an appropriate level.

I've was able to attend Banshee Bash & was able to snag a ride with Robb during the night ERT on Diamondback. It was a hilariously fun ride with Robb cracking jokes the whole time and got to talk with him for a few minutes afterwards. Just to think on that day we got Morning ERT, Night ERT, multiple behind the scenes tours, discount FL+, and lunch with a Q&A and after all that people would complain? Ridiculous. You can see how much effort Robb put into these tours, and it's understandable why he had to stop doing public ones. I hope I get to go on a tour with you all one day, you all have so much fun!

Anyway, we had a great time at that event. We didn't talk to the Alvey's much (if it all) because they were busy running an event and doing a million things at once but they seemed genuinely invested in making sure everyone was having a good time. I'm sure doing that from 8AM (or earlier) to Midnight (or later) would be exhausting, especially if it was a trip where you'd then have to get on a bus with the same people and do it again day after day. Who wouldn't need to vent???

This.

We have been to three awesome TPR events - West Coast Bash at SFMM (the one where it sleeted); Behemoth Bash & Banshee Bash. Out of those three times, the only time I ever recall speaking with Robb was at the conclusion of night ERT on Leviathan at CW. He had the mic and was getting all of us pumped up as we just kept doing laps - most of us without getting off the train.

Once I had my fill of laps, I headed for the exit and simply shook Robb's hand and thanked him for an awesome day and for everything that he and Elissa do for us on TPR.

Every other time I saw the Alvey's during these events, they were always working hard to ensure everyone was having a good time, so I wasn't going to bother them with some type of mindless banter. I can only imagine what a long, exhausting day that must be for them, so I just let them do their thing - putting on great theme park events!

For a 52 year old man to call out the Alvey's after basically kissing ass in a trip report is disturbing.

Calling out their young daughter however...is simply disgusting.