TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^ Joker is the park's best ride and they tend to run just one train on it, so I'd recommend going there early before a queue builds. If you see V2 running, ride that asap since it breaks down a lot.

Second train not even in sight today. Wonder what happened to it.

SFDK never ran two trains on Kong or Roar besides the summer months over the past decade I've attended, which would make me pretty frustrated in the off-season. Even with the park crowded on a summer day you'll get on those rides quicker than going in the off-season. It is unusual for them to have one train in the summer though I hope this doesn't start becoming a habit as well. Oddly enough, I've never had a break down on V2 & it's open nearly every visit I've attended.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TRIP REPORT 7/3/20   We arrived at the parking lot around 9:40am. There were no cars in front of us or behind us. We noticed a few people walking the path toward the park. We parked and took the

Posted Images

I just got back from the park. Does anyone know why The Flash (V2) has not been open? It was open for a few weeks if I recall but has been closed for the last month.

Joker is still on one-train ops. It is unacceptable for Six Flags to be running their marquee attraction at SFDK this way in the middle of peak season. I would not be surprised if the ride will just permanently run on one train at this point.

I just got back from the park. Does anyone know why The Flash (V2) has not been open? It was open for a few weeks if I recall but has been closed for the last month.

Joker is still on one-train ops. It is unacceptable for Six Flags to be running their marquee attraction at SFDK this way in the middle of peak season. I would not be surprised if the ride will just permanently run on one train at this point.

I’m not sure about V2. I was there on Wednesday, and it was down as well. It seems to spend half of the year closed.

As for Joker, the second train is off the transfer track and presumably undergoing rehab. According to the ride op, they’ll be getting it to two train operation soon. I certainly hope so, it’s been running one train for what feels like nearly a year.

I've been surprised at how many rides have been down the past few visits. My last visit on June 20, Flash, Batman, and Harley Quinn were down all day. Joker was one train, and Wonder Woman and Superman were constantly opening and closing all day. It was like they were rotating the opening hours. Only Penguin was open fully in the entire DC area. It ended up being about 25% of all the rides/coasters were closed throughout the park in the middle of summer.

^I agree, the park has been pretty inconsistent as of late. I went last Wednesday, and none of the rides in the DC area were open at the park's opening time. The Joker was the first to open at 11, followed by Batman close to noon. Superman was perhaps a full half hour after that. I was there yesterday as well. Batman opened pretty promptly (though not exactly at 10:30, while Joker opened at about 11. Superman was open right on time, while Wonder Woman opened later in the day. It's frustrating. They did, though, get The Flash up and running in the early afternoon.

The good news: The Joker's second train is back (as of yesterday). They were running it empty when the park first opened (with the plastic wrap still over the seats). Though, they took the train off before opening the ride. For the rest of the day, the ride ran with only one train, while the other train sat on the transfer track, being worked on by mechanics throughout the day. So, it looks like the park's best ride will be back to two-train operation soon (if it isn't already).

i went this past Sunday 6/30.

morning started out good sense i hung out in DC area and they opened joker around 11 am and i got on pretty fast, then i went to medusa, about a 10 minute wait not bad then i headed back over to DC area and go in line for batman. about half hour wait wasn't bad. not a big fan of the ride though little to no g-forces its all just spin and scare you crap, i'll pass going forward its a glorified carnival zipper to me. so far joker easily best ride here (knew i would be) and Medusa is a great floorless B&M. after batman i debated waiting to get on superman but given the sour taste in my mouth from batman spinner and the long lines i figured it would just be a waste and a similar gimmic so i went back over to the medusa side of the "thrill park" if you will and to my suprise it was even shorter wait there nearly walk on so got on it again, it is a great coaster. after that i roamed the park for some beer and food and checked out the rest and animal exhibits a bit then thought i might get back in line for the joker again but line was ridiculously long and slow thanks to single training it.

So I went back over to medusa side of the park and decided surely Kong wouldn't have a long line because its well known to be terrible right? wrong. line was about 45 min at least but i slogged through it and rode in 3rd car from the front and frankly it wasn't terrible to me, i would never wait in that long of a line for it ever again but it didn't live up to its head banging rep it has to me which is i guess so infamous even the ride OP was making side comments the whole time i was in line about how rough it was and they always joked when the train came back in about how amazing the ride was.

of all the major rides only Medusa and Batman were running more than one train. worth noting that Medusa has 3 trains and the 3rd train was in the bay clearly not ready to go. Kong's 2nd train is easily visable and clearly not anywhere near operable there are no restraints on the cars at all on it it looks like its being used for parts. The Joker's 2nd train was there but had some plastic or something over most seats didn't look ready to go but surly its mid summer and this is the best ride there they should have it running two by now! the Flash was closed no sign of anything or any reason, Harley Quinn ride also closed and all the plastic seats have been removed and when i was walking in before open there was exactly one person working on the seat mounts with a drill at the time so it appears they are retrofitting new seats onto it or modifying it in some way but once again appear to not be in any rush whatsoever in getting it back up and running.. I'll not get into the status of many older flat rides there that are basically abandoned outside of the "thrill" sections of the park.

overall i have to say the park is not terrible but comparing it to my real home park which is CGA its no comparison CGA is better maintained more coasters are running multiple trains, nothing is in disrepair in plane sight there and given Railblazers addition CGA has a better coaster lineup with more real coasters even though most are quite outdated and/or short. I wouldn't likely go back to SFDK and only bought a membership because i'm going to SFMM for a few days in the coming weeks and i was *slightly* cheaper if i got it there first.

• 2 weeks later...

Update : visited again today to grab missed credits. crowd was decent but not excessive. The Joker was running two trains (finally) really did have a much better time though their operations do seem quite shaky at times still Joker was very late to open and broke down right as i got on it my 5th time (but really it wasn't broken they just needed to cycle the train again but made us wait over nothing heh)

top rides there imho

#1 The Joker: any seat but back will get you the most ejector as with any RMC i have ridden

#2 Medusa : Front i have found is best overall experience on B&M floorless coasters and this one does not disappoint

#3 Superman Ultimate Flight : Rode it twice today a really good launch coaster but i think full throttle at SFMM is better.

after that it gets wishy washy to rank

good rides:

Wonder woman pendulum most SF parks have now is fun and relaxing.

the flash: vertical velocity very good if its operating and it was today!

Batman S&S freespin eh its good if your into it but i'm still of the opinion even after a 2nd ride that its a glorified Zipper, not a bad ride but not a great one either.

meh coasters :

Kong (SLC) if you know what your in for and keep your head pinned back and body stiff you'll survive the kong but its still hardly fun after exerting all that effort to prevent headbanging.

Cobra: boring kids coaster that doesn't belong in the same area as the rest of the rides in that area.

ride counts

The Joker 5x (front, back and various middle seats)

Medusa 3x ( Front, near back and middle)

Superman 2X (Front of 2nd train and 2nd row in front train)

The Flash V2 2x (2nd from front and rear)

Kong 1x

Cobra 1x

Batman 1x

Wonder woman 1x

overall edge still goes to CGA for me. its a better rounded park and just needs another great coaster and perhaps a launch coaster to put it heads above SFDK its already slightly ahead of it overall to me with a nice mix of rides and a solid top 3 of coasters.

#1 The Joker: any seat but back will get you the most ejector as with any RMC i have ridden

You didn't find the back of Joker to have the strongest airtime? I found that row significantly better than the front when I visited the park last year.

Glad they got 2 trains running for you.

You didn't find the back of Joker to have the strongest airtime? I found that row significantly better than the front when I visited the park last year.

I believe he meant to say "any seat [is good], but the back will get you the most ejector....." Oh, the importance of a comma!

Also, for the locals, has the Flash been running fairly consistently? I'm heading to the park on Monday and given that it was closed when I went last summer, I'm really hoping it's running that day. I know there's no way to tell now, but if it's been running fairly consistently since the retheme, I will *slightly* raise my expectations!

Kong (SLC) if you know what your in for and keep your head pinned back and body stiff you'll survive the kong but its still hardly fun after exerting all that effort to prevent headbanging.

I am a fan of SLC's. I always found my best riding style on those was to hold my head all the way forward out of the restraint. You get zero head banging that way a pretty enjoyable intense ride.

I believe he meant to say "any seat [is good], but the back will get you the most ejector....." Oh, the importance of a comma!

Also, for the locals, has the Flash been running fairly consistently? I'm heading to the park on Monday and given that it was closed when I went last summer, I'm really hoping it's running that day. I know there's no way to tell now, but if it's been running fairly consistently since the retheme, I will *slightly* raise my expectations!

Yes indeed missed comma made that come out wrong, the back is the best for airtime of course

as for the Flash yes it appears to be up and running pretty consistently based off my last trip and also from checking https://queue-times.com/parks/33/queue_times i have not seen it down most days i check lately.

I am a fan of SLC's. I always found my best riding style on those was to hold my head all the way forward out of the restraint. You get zero head banging that way a pretty enjoyable intense ride.

Ah i know what you mean i do that on CGA's Demon and Patriot due to the head banging as well i'll have to try it on Kong next time i go thanks for the tip!

How bizarre, my experience at the park earlier this week was great!

I went with my brother on Monday July 15th, we showed up around 2pm and there were practically no lines. Every ride was operating except for Kong. Stupid Harley Quinn and stupid Daredevil were closed but seriously who gives two craps about those hunk of junk eyesores?

Joker had 2 trains. Medusa had 2 trains. Superman had 2 trains**. Batman ran all cars. Would go down, but then be right back up, and was operating flawlessly with great dispatches no line. I think we rode Batman about 5 times and we started to learn how to influence the spinning with our leg movements, and we started to get really good at providing some really wild rides! Such an improvement over the Intamin Zac-Spins; my brother loved Insane @ Grono & Green Lantern @ SFMM because of the intensity, but admitted this was much more fun, and much more re-rideable!

I rode Wonder Woman and it was pretty fun, much more extreme than I’m used to for a flat ride! My first time on a Frisbee Pendulum so extraordinary in scope, had a really good long ride cycle too.

For the first time ever I took the walk of shame (arrrrgh!!), at The Flash ride. I don’t know if the restraints are different because I’ve ridden it before, and rode Wicked Twister @ CP several times, but those restraints are probably the tightest most restrictive things I have ever experienced. I’m not even that big of a guy, I get on everything else just fine, so I was pretty shocked when I couldn’t ride. Bummer! I love the front spike on this Intamin Shuttle!

The last ride of the day was Joker and at about 7:50pm (10 minutes before the park closed) Joker went down. They evacuated the train back to the loading side, and said we could wait. Being the roller coaster veteran I am, and judging by the ride-ops posture, I figured this would be a pretty quick fix. After 5 minutes I asked “Did you call a mechanic” and he said yup. I asked “how long does it usually take them to get here?” and he said it depends. Mechanic showed up pretty quick. Didn’t even run 1 test circuit. Put his magic key in the control panel, and we literally got in our seats just as the park closed. Great ride to end the night, and has got to be my favorite ride at the park. I just love how it does so much in such a small space, and it really gets you close to the ground!

So I wonder if that’s the Joker train that was giving them trouble because they were running test cycles at least an hour or so after park closing. I could see the trains running while we exited the park and waited for our Lyft. I’m surprised they got the train off the track so quickly, seems as if it happened overnight!

**I know Superman only has 1 train I was just joking around.

^SFDK is very hit or miss. Lately the park operations have been more on the miss side, but I am glad you caught the park on a good day. It is so relieving to hear that Joker is back on two trains. With that news, I may need to try to make one more trip up to Vallejo before the craziness of Fright Fest starts.

after a 3rd trip this past sunday this time with my sister and her kids i can say for sure the place is quite hit or miss. day started off bad with joker down all morning, i took my two pre-teen nephews on superman because i knew line would be long later anyways and hoped they'd have the joker up and running once we got off but sadly they did not. at this point it was wonder woman or batman to go on over in that area and they were too intimidated / sacred by superman at that point to do either lol. so we headed to medusa and as expected it was operating great with two trains and a short wait and they loved it. we meandered some etc by early afternoon Joker was up and so we did that and as expected they loved it.

In any event though we had a blast as the day went on and ended up doing the joker 3x medusa 3x rapids ride once, boomerang once, superman once and mixed in some of the flats and cobra

Main disappointment for them was they really wanted to do The Flash : V2 (because of the character mostly) but it was closed all day due to "inclement weather" but i think the real reason is the park probably cannot operate it on hotter days due to power usage, it was up today when i checked and showed no signs of really being down when we were there.

Things to Note about the park:

its almost useless to come in at opening they are very bad at opening most major rides at opening. superman and medusa are probably best bets for rides that will open first as i have never seen either go down in all 3 visits but medusa is not gathering large lines because it has high capacity with 2 trains and the section its in is no longer popular, i've walked into the station many times on a weekend and at worst was at the bottom of the stairs to the station.

they seem to have a lot of relatively minor issues with the joker, at opening maintenance was working on the brake run before the transfer station for hours, past visit it broke down right before i was to get on a train because one of the ride operators couldn't get a green light on his panel to allow them to dispatch and this last trip i think the same thing happened to them because we were on the stairs basically one dispatch away from waiting to board next train and it went down and the same exact situation was occurring where they had a train full of riders stuck in the transfer station and were unable to dispatch the train in station so maintenance shows up 10 min later force dispatches the empty train in station so they could unload the train stuck in the transfer station and then they proceed to dispatch 2 trains empty and re-open the ride to passengers..

as for ride ops in general there though I can say they are in general very good for the most part often trying to fill trains looking for single riders and smaller groups of 2 or 3 to pull ahead to get trains filled on many of the major rides there and often their ops are at least trying to entertain if there is a line or an issue or even if everything is fine so i do give them a big thumbs up, their main issues appear to be in getting the place going at opening properly and possibly some maintenance issues they need to figure out.

I visited on Monday and had a similar experience. I was very disappointed to find the Flash closed all day (and, of course, it reopened the day after I left! ugh). But aside from that and Joker having frequent breakdowns throughout the day, I had a nice time. Superman, Medusa, and Batman are the "powerhouse" coasters in the park. All three of them seem extremely reliable, and I didn't see any of them go down the entire day. Those three coasters had the fastest operations in the park and ran at max capacity. Superman dispatched every minute, often times less.

Joker was on two trains, but like I said it had frequent breakdowns. It seemed like they sent more empty trains that day than full ones. When it was running, the operations were solid. It's a nice ride but still ranks at the bottom of the RMCs I've ridden. But even a "bad" RMC is a GREAT coaster. It's also incredibly popular and held a solid line.

Batman surprised me. I've ridden Joker at SFGAdv, and while this one felt mostly the same, I did flip much more on Batman. One of my rides I flipped a good 6 or 7 times. It was totally awesome. If it flipped that much on every ride, I would rank this as one of the best rides in the parks. And while I still think it is, the experience can be very hit or miss. Some rides are insane, some are very mild, and everything in between. Overall an excellent addition to the park!

I really do like the park and think people give it way more crap than it deserves, however there are a few drawbacks. I was watching queue times for the weeks and days leading up to my visit and the Flash was operating on almost every single day. Considering that the ride just got out of an extensive refurbishment, I figured the odds of it being open during my visit were pretty good, but it just goes to show that you can never really make assumptions with Six Flags, particularly their unreliable Intamin rides. It was also frustrating that it reopened the day after I left. Oh well, that's life. One day I will ride that thing. It looks totally weird in the best way possible.

I'm interested to see the future of this park. Their ride side of the park is quite stacked. I'd like to see a drop tower at some point. Even with their 150-foot height limit, they could spring for a Larson tower, S&S shot tower, or even an Intamin one. A family coaster with no inversions would also be nice. I wonder what their future moves will be with CGA expected to greatly expand in the next 10 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Any rumors on additions for next year? I saw somewhere that a sign has been posted saying "Warning: Rattlesnake crossing" or something like that. Seemed to be in the front of the park near where elephants used to be I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am heading to discovery kingdom for the first time on the 31st and am expecting it to be crowded. I have never done the flash pass and am a little confused on how it works. I’m hoping someone can help explain a couple things:

1. What’s the difference between the three tiers?

2. Is it worth it in general to spend $110 for the platinum?

Thanks in advance

Hello, I’m heading to the park on the 31st and am anticipating it to be very crowded. I have some questions about the flash pass I’m hoping someone could answer:

1. Is it worth it to purchase?

2. How does it work?

3. What’s the difference between the 3 tiers?

Thanks in advance!

New Spinning Roller Coaster Sidewinder Safari, Slithers into Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in 2020

Guests will Queue with Live Rattlesnakes and Lizards All Around

VALLEJO, Calif. — August 29, 2019 — Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, the Thrill Capital of Northern California, today announced the addition of a one-of-a-kind, combination thrilling family coaster and animal exhibit experience—Sidewinder Safari. Featuring live rattlesnakes and other reptile species, guests will be immersed in a jungle-like setting as they prepare for a wild ride along 1,378 feet of slithering track. This venomous, new attraction is the year-round theme park’s 12th roller coaster.

“As the world leader in thrills, Six Flags continues to raise the bar to deliver the most unique and innovative experiences in the industry,” said Park President Don McCoy. “Sidewinder Safari is unlike any other ride in Northern California, featuring the thrill of a unique, spinning roller coaster combined with an up-close-and-personal reptile encounter for an unparalleled ‘wow’ experience. This is also the park’s 12th coaster, making it the home of the most coasters in Northern California.”

Before boarding Sidewinder Safari, guests will enter a safari-themed queue line. With snakes, lizards and other reptiles surrounding them, guests will board spinning coaster vehicles for an exhilarating experience families and teens alike will enjoy.

Other Sidewinder Safari highlights include:

 Multiple 360 degree sideway spins;

 Rapid-strike drops;

 Twisting and turning hairpin curves;

 Cars that allow four people to enjoy the fun together.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom features more than 60 rides and attractions, including unique, up close and interactive animal experiences. For more information about Sidewinder Safari and next season, visit sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/newfor2020.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is also announcing the start of 2020 Season Pass sales with its special Flash Sale through Labor Day weekend featuring the best deal of the year — savings up to 75% off of a 2020 Pass.

August 29 through September 2, guests will receive a free upgrade to a Gold Combo Season Pass with every pass purchased. Gold Combo Season Passes include admission to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom and Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Concord, and any other Six Flags theme park, as well as free parking and special admission offers for friends.

During the Flash Sale, guests who sign up for a Membership receive three free months and a Golden Ticket to bring a friend free any day for the rest of the 2019 season. Launched last year, the Six Flags Membership program offers guests a wide range of valuable benefits such as preferred parking every visit, unlimited soft drinks, 50% off almost all food and merchandise in the park, and exclusive perks that are only available to Members. Members who sign up for Six Flags Membership Rewards, the company’s new loyalty program exclusive to Members, earn points for almost everything they do at the park. Points can be redeemed for free food,

SFDK-Sidewinder_Safari_Photo.thumb.jpg.7b5dc3b5658b9d1b2f1cef051e0c8c9d.jpg

959346241_SFDK_Sidewinder_Safari_KeyArt_SMALL.thumb.jpg.55d62db183be2288d467440c38bdf92c.jpg