TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Is there a reason that most of the coasters and big rides are packed along the front areas of the park? I remember Pandemonium, Zonga, and now Superman and this new DC nook all working along the same strip. I'm wondering if it's simply the space that's most readily available, or if there is some reason that this is where the park has to pack in its rides.

I believe that there are couple of reasons for this. First, the land on the other side of the lake is residential, and the homeowners don't want noisy roller coasters echoing across the lake. Second, management keeps that side of the park quiet so as not to disturb the animals. I think that those are the main reasons for the lopsided layout of the park. The decommissioned naval base accounts for the 150' height restriction in the park. I could be wrong, but I believe those are the reasons that the park is laid out the way it is.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TRIP REPORT 7/3/20   We arrived at the parking lot around 9:40am. There were no cars in front of us or behind us. We noticed a few people walking the path toward the park. We parked and took the

Walruses are back at SFDK!! 😍 This makes me really happy. The walruses were some of my favorites and I was really sad when Uquq had to go away. Glad she's coming back and she has a new fr

I've been on both Harley Quinn and Tidal Twister at Sea World.  Harley was a tad better than I expected, but it still definitely wasn't great (I did have an end seat).  Once was more than enough, and

Posted Images

The park has begun removing the Dolphin Pool in the DC Universe area.

We noticed that on Sunday, too. I asked around about what the plans are but no one seems to know anything. Are there any rumors out there? Not a lot of room for a new attraction there...except maybe bumper boats. Hey, Aquaman Bumper Boats. That could work!

Is there a reason that most of the coasters and big rides are packed along the front areas of the park? I remember Pandemonium, Zonga, and now Superman and this new DC nook all working along the same strip. I'm wondering if it's simply the space that's most readily available, or if there is some reason that this is where the park has to pack in its rides.

I believe that there are couple of reasons for this. First, the land on the other side of the lake is residential, and the homeowners don't want noisy roller coasters echoing across the lake. Second, management keeps that side of the park quiet so as not to disturb the animals. I think that those are the main reasons for the lopsided layout of the park. The decommissioned naval base accounts for the 150' height restriction in the park. I could be wrong, but I believe those are the reasons that the park is laid out the way it is.

That is what I have heard as well. Makes perfect sense really.

To add to what Doug has said, the last time I was at an enthusiast event at the park and participated in a Q&A (which was some time ago) the park management said they could negotiate the height restriction with the city but it would take some paperwork and money. Given that since then the park has continued to put new additions in the front and kept the rides <150' and no one has heard otherwise, I'm guessing they haven't negotiated the height restriction yet.

Maybe in the future the park will look to add something taller or further back in the park but there are other factors at play, such as keeping the noise level down closer to the lake (which is probably more because of neighbors than needing to have coasters away from animals). I'm sure it would take a lot of fighting to enact any change and why fight it when you've been successful obeying it? I could see them removing Kong or shoehorning another coaster or ride into the Medusa area sooner than I could see them fighting to put something along the lake.

I'm sad to hear the dolphin pool is going away. I did notice it seemed the pool was empty more often than not in recent years. I hope they build another one like that elsewhere because it really was cool to view the dolphins so up close. Maybe the site of the Walrus exhibit? Does anyone who has been to the park recently know what has happened (if anything) to the walrus area since the walruses are gone?

Also, it wasn't too long ago that Six Flags put out a survey asking people's opinions about putting in new animal exhibits, so maybe a new or revamped exhibit will come in the next couple of years now that the park has finally filled out its DC area.

I'm a bit concerned to hear about the Dolphin Pool going away... I'm going up next week to do the Dolphin Encounter that's included with the Diamond Elite. We signed up and got a confirmation, so it's happening somehow... does that happen in a different location?

I'm a bit concerned to hear about the Dolphin Pool going away... I'm going up next week to do the Dolphin Encounter that's included with the Diamond Elite. We signed up and got a confirmation, so it's happening somehow... does that happen in a different location?

The pool they are removing is not the one they do the encounters with.

That is what I have heard as well. Makes perfect sense really.

Thanks guys, and everyone else who chimed in, too. I've always been curious about the tightly-packed rides areas compared to most of the rest of the park!

The pool they are removing is not the one they do the encounters with.

Yes, there are some "backstage" dolphin pools accessed past the dolphin pool in question and the picnic areas. They let people go there to see the baby when the baby was new. I believe the dolphin encounter pool is one of those.

They previously had an upcharge dolphin feeding and photo op experience at the pool that's being removed but it's been a while. It was only $15 compared to the encounter which is $150+. I've never done the encounter but one day I will...

IMG_0057.thumb.jpeg.5336a74df193b6f48f69d0e1346b0cd1.jpeg

Too cute not to reshare

IMG_0058.thumb.jpeg.b3e06cf75574a6b3528889319e69dad6.jpeg

You can somewhat see that this is a different viewing area based on the concrete at the bottom

IMG_0133.thumb.jpeg.ca420d2def63c0d610fdd72742ed728a.jpeg

IMG_0134.thumb.jpeg.071741d669387067296f7dc449c7ed81.jpeg

Aborbs

I think it is fairly clear that six flags intends to slowly but surely phase out the animal aspect from this park. Northern California I cannot imagine is too keen overall on captivity.

I think it is fairly clear that six flags intends to slowly but surely phase out the animal aspect from this park. Northern California I cannot imagine is too keen overall on captivity.

I've had a similar feeling over the last few years, as more and more exhibits went empty and things seemed to be headed towards either a much smaller number of animals, or none at all. However, one of the last Park Surveys I had was focused entirely around animals, possible new exhibits, and potential new animal experiences. Of course, none of this means any of this will happen, but it does mean that Six Flags hasn't made the decision to phase out animals or remove them, and is actively thinking about some expansion in this area. The reality is probably that things will continue along the current trend, but they are at least aware that Discovery Kingdom is unique in what they currently have, and there is at least potential interest in maintaining or even expanding that aspect.

Keep in mind SFGrAdv has a HUGE animal attraction... so unless they decided to close that (and it's so immense and integral to the park, I can't imagine it)... SF will always be forced to dabble in the animal game.

• 1 month later...

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is running a pretty cool event for members on Friday, May 25. They're having a "midnight party" from 10 pm to 3 am to celebrate the opening of their new Batman the Ride 4D coaster.

The article also states all of DC Universe will be open too, so I think that means Joker, Superman, Harley Quinn, and Wonder Woman should be running too.

Link to Event on Six Flags site

^I saw that as well. I'm impressed how quickly they moved on construction after a slow start. I won't go to this, as I have a gold season pass, not a membership. However, I can't wait to ride this. I rode the SFFT version, and it was loads of fun. I'll be interested in hearing from anyone who goes to this event, as the limit of 2,000 attendees could still mean crowds (though, they'll likely thin out as the night wears on).

Hey guys, quick question. I have a Six Flags Magic Mountain Gold Pass (not a membership pass) and I have used it to get into other Six Flags last year. Just wanted to see if I could still use the pass to get into the park and use the free parking as well. Thanks in advance!

^If your Gold Pass is still active then yes it will work at SFDL.

As stated you had a pass and not a membership. In that case it may have expired on December 31, 2018. I would recommend calling the park and seeing if your pass is still active or see if there is any online support that would check that status of your pass.

If you choose to get a membership at their insanely low monthly costs, just buy a new one for SFDK and get it processed when you go to the park. If you purchase a level that includes parking your printed voucher will work to park on your first visit prior to having your card processed.

You can scan your pass with the Six Flags app and it will tell you what kind of pass you have and if it's active. Will save you a call and repeating numbers over the phone 30 times for them to finally understand

97b7c076e9489dcb98e63b4b756def67.jpg

Hey guys, Just got home from the media day for Batman: The Ride. It was quite a morning for the park and everyone involved had been at the park extremely early so I appreciated all the friendly employees and animal ambassadors. This ride was completed just in time for this preview with the State of California signing off on the ride just hours prior to the event. I am sure glad we didn't get another repeat of the Harley Quinn debacle from last year. The park is throwing an opening event tonight from 10pm until 3am and they still have a lot of work to do as most of the fencing surrounding the que was still in need of installation. The ride is the newest addition to the newly re-themed DC Universe area of the park which includes Superman, Wonderwoman, Harley Quinn, The Joker, The Penguin, and the re-themed The Flash: Vertical Velocity. A new restaurant called Big Belly Burger and a still yet to be finished quick service location between Batman and Harley Quinn. The area looks nice and fun but could use a few more themed elements to put it over the top (may I suggest moving the wave swinger and retheming it to the Gotham Crime Wave). Some major changes also seem to be on the way as it looks like the "Marine World" side of the park may be getting phased out. Removal of the Dolphin exhibits and infrastructure is underway and there are construction markers all the way up to the Sting Ray Bay exhibit. Hopefully this is all just to build a grand entrance to the DC area, but it feels more like a retreat from the original animal-centric version of the park. I was able to get about 12 rides in on The Batman and I think this was a wise investment as it is not only fun to ride but it adds a different kind of energy to the park. The park spent a good amount getting the que experience up to par with cool displays and techy type gadgets in the first building and a Batmobile (different one than id ever seen before) along the line. I won't go into detail about the ride experience because I am sure most of you have read about the these rides before. I will say the seats do not spin as much as I would have liked but that really depends on who your sitting with. On a full train you will get a much different experience than riding alone. Oddly enough I was able to ride with 3 of the band members of Imagine Dragons who are in town for a concert and we really spun. Also, as noted by a few of the ACErs in attendance, if your plus size you can really spin too. In all I want to thank Six Flags for having me out and I can't wait to see what you have planned next!

20190524_101243.thumb.jpg.36ab95fbc1e14fc5a1d2ac1594c76ef4.jpg

20190524_093813.thumb.jpg.71853d327c93d784134ee4f1bf5431dc.jpg

The Flash: Vertical Velocity. Really nice repaint.

20190524_093646.thumb.jpg.de7a32f1c406a1dedc7c33ee9a74f63f.jpg

The Joker

20190524_093658.thumb.jpg.62e63cf9b70bfb0ac3310c2023847b3b.jpg

Big Belly Burger

20190524_100129.thumb.jpg.156b4edf8bcc7e6c604115a16b406ed8.jpg

Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster (when its open)

IMG_20190524_095038_945.thumb.jpg.47d139f71d414c9370e862a183b3dc9c.jpg

The Penguin escaped!!

20190524_093720.thumb.jpg.ee9d45977704c099a371aecf60fad7f5.jpg

deconstruction of the dolphin pool

IMG_20190524_095121_462.thumb.jpg.dcdef7aa26f112fa992fc5f5eda7a37f.jpg

Overseeing his new toy.

20190524_101318.thumb.jpg.24335644330943f93740234021a0dd85.jpg

Batcomputer in the que

20190524_101321.thumb.jpg.25c2e69c9ff2bbe6aa285e4172d1bacb.jpg

more que themeing, more stuff is incoming.

20190524_101420.thumb.jpg.0689276f6451d562a35e40369e7e36d4.jpg

overview

IMG_20190524_093131_01.thumb.jpg.4c8ee1335ae0b392b46b4c0340c5bbb8.jpg

Still on the loose, and he found the donuts!

20190524_093614.thumb.jpg.b6cfa7317be3065d23791e879fb6011c.jpg

20190524_092656.thumb.jpg.c06800765fb221be734a5a6654347eb6.jpg

20190524_092305.thumb.jpg.4ed27f5bffc98bf61a3c78fae80f086e.jpg

20190524_101340.thumb.jpg.3d26f5da42fc739d03a08f750ec6ff2d.jpg

20190524_094117.thumb.jpg.29dcdd12e7f5e1a94bb700867f0ac171.jpg

20190524_092601.thumb.jpg.f34187ddd3cecade6b5af34cd6dc64bc.jpg

He's getting away!

20190524_120731.thumb.jpg.851ad50242efcce4c347a3a02223214a.jpg

Thanking my awesome host!

I’ve ridden a couple of these S&S 4D coasters and they are a ton of fun. The seating is pretty comfortable and you spin a pretty good amount during the ride. It is such a better ride than the POS Green Lantern at SFMM, which is thankfully getting removed. In fact, I’d love to see one of these 4D coasters replace Green Lantern, I doubt the GP would know the difference! Overall I think this a great addition to SFDK and I really like the direction of the park over the last few years.

Edited by VegasBaby

Great report! It's great to see the improvements to the area and theming elements added along with this coaster.

How did that penguin get away and why did it take them so long to get him back?!?

I can't believe that dolphin pool is just gone. I mean, I can believe it, but it's sad for me to see. Hopefully this doesn't mean they're really trying to phase out all animal exhibits but maybe just rearrange things a bit? Anyone else remember the mid-2000s rebrand when they added the signage for Land/Sea/Sky? I think that was also when that pool and those exhibits (stingray, penguins, dolphin pool) were added. Obviously those exhibits don't particularly scream "DC Comics." While the very very back of the park is definitely pretty quiet compared to the front/ride areas of the park, it does seem the animal attractions are still popular in their own ways (though mainly the shows). There are also only so many rides they could put back there anyway due to height/noise restrictions. I guess only time will tell.