TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I’m visiting the park for the first time tomorrow, and noticed that Superman is closed today. Anyone have any information regarding the closure?

No news here. But how was your visit? Was Superman open?

I went yesterday. Superman is still closed. I assume it's for annual routine maintenance, which lasts from 6-8 weeks. Also, The Joker has been down to one train operation since the beginning of January. The second train has been sitting on the transfer track this entire time. Not sure what's going on there.

I’m visiting the park for the first time tomorrow, and noticed that Superman is closed today. Anyone have any information regarding the closure?

I went yesterday. Superman is still closed. I assume it's for annual routine maintenance, which lasts from 6-8 weeks. Also, The Joker has been down to one train operation since the beginning of January. The second train has been sitting on the transfer track this entire time. Not sure what's going on there.

Off season I suppose.

My visit was great! Superman was unfortunately closed for annual maintenance. My rides were as follows...

The Joker - x2

Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth

v2: Vertical Velocity

Kong

Medusa

Daredevil Chaos Coaster

Boomerang

I entered the park at opening...memo to members: all the lines at the entrance take memberships. I walked straight over to The Joker and basically walked on (two train wait). Operations were good, although the ride operator seemed slightly less than excited that we were all there. Nevertheless, I got seated in the front row and really enjoyed the ride. The Joker is absolutely in my top 10 coasters. I loved how convoluted the layout was and the airtime pops were awesome. (10/10)

After the Joker, I west straight to v2, which was walk on. I rode in the front row on this as well. Good ride, although not as good as it’s sister in Chicago. (7/10)

I decided to round out the superhero area and get a ride in on Wonder Woman. Since my home park is SFOT, I had already ridden a giant discovery, but I enjoy these rides so much. SFDK definitely has a winner on its hands (9/10)

This is the part of the day when I started making stupid choices. I decided that, having never ridden a Vekoma SLC, I should give Kong a try. It was walk on, and for good reason. It was only slightly less rough than X2...and that’s saying something, and unfortunately, not very thrilling. I’d hope Six Flags is investigating options to revamp or replace this coaster. (2/10)

After Kong, I headed straight over to Medusa. Despite being in desperate need of a new paint job, the ride is fantastic. I was also pleasantly surprised at how quiet the ride was. I had to skip a second ride, but the coaster was solid. (6/10)

After Medusa, I decided to be super stupid and try the Daredevil Chaos Coaster. Not my cup of tea, just leave it there. (4/10)

I took off immediately for boomerang, walked on and immediately regretted my decision. I’ve gotten to old for Boomerangs (2/10)

I got another ride on the Joker before heading out. All in all, a great day!

Went on superbowl sunday as well. Sign outside superman did say it was closed down for it's annual maintenance. also didn't realize they tore down The Oasis Club bar/snack bar by V2. With how much land is cleared there I suspect that's where Harly Quinn will go.

anyways finally went on Wonder Woman and yeah, that ride is terrifying from the highest perspective and swinging towards the ground but it was incredibly smooth. Felt a bit sick from the minor swinging and rotation when it was settling back down at the station. Clearing the full height of superman was a bit crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a new sit down restaurant is rumored to be taking the place of the old snack bar that was just torn down! I am thinking it'll be an Ace O Clubs like the one at Magic Mountain. Harley Quinn construction starts this week according to some people at the park!!

That's the one down side of year round parks. You have to plan around ride maintenance closures. With seasonal parks you really only have to worry about a ride breaking down.

With seasonal parks, you have to plan around THE ENTIRE PARK BEING CLOSED. I'm not understanding how you think that having one or two rides closed is worse than not being able to go at all.

Planning around the entire park being closed is easy. You know when you can't go. With year round parks you have to plan carefully around ride closures. I won't visit a park if even ride I like is down. Considering I'm from out of state and making a trip is a big deal, you want everything open.

giphy.gif

That's the one down side of year round parks. You have to plan around ride maintenance closures. With seasonal parks you really only have to worry about a ride breaking down.

With seasonal parks, you have to plan around THE ENTIRE PARK BEING CLOSED. I'm not understanding how you think that having one or two rides closed is worse than not being able to go at all.

Also, I like that there might be a new restaurant opening. They could use another indoor dining venue + something besides just snacks especially if they want to sell more Dining Passes. There are already plenty of snack bars around the park. Only bummer is I usually went to that one (if it's the one I'm thinking of) for free water and occasionally margaritas in between Joker riding. Now I'll have to walk like 200 feet further to the one by the Penguins, ooh boy (unless the restaurant can take care of those needs, + beer, then it's win-win).

Planning around the entire park being closed is easy. You know when you can't go. With year round parks you have to plan carefully around ride closures. I won't visit a park if even ride I like is down. Considering I'm from out of state and making a trip is a big deal, you want everything open.

I agree with this, I went to Busch Gardens Tampa in October 2016 and got very lucky with all the rides being open. I would have been disappointed if i went and one of the Beemers were down because who knows when I'll get to go back.

^That's great news! Saved electric expenses, shading for parking, security cameras, electric vehicle plugs, supporting their pledges for sustainability and taking care of the environment. All a win!

Wondering how the construction is going to fare at a year-round park like ours. I bet the parking is going to be a nightmare until it's done. Also, part of me wondered what would happen if they decided to scrap that lot in favor of a parking structure and build a waterpark there or something. I guess this means we won't be seeing that happen.

I wonder if this will cost so much up front for the park that we don't see any exciting new rides added for a while, but then once the savings start coming in, we see a lot of park improvements? Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

IDEK what to make of that Harley Quinn coaster TBH.

I seriously thought you were talking about IKEA at first...

Plot twist: the coaster is actually manufactured by IKEA.

Six Flags will begin assembling it in-house soon and probably won't finish until Spring of next year.

It will all go wrong at the eleventh hour when they discover they're missing two pegs, one Phillips head screw, and an Allen wrench.

IDEK what to make of that Harley Quinn coaster TBH.

I seriously thought you were talking about IKEA at first...

Plot twist: the coaster is actually manufactured by IKEA.

Six Flags will begin assembling it in-house soon and probably won't finish until Spring of next year.

Nah, it'll take until spring of next year just to find the Allen wrench. October 2019 they'll call every friend and family member to see if they know how to put it together, and by March 2020 they'll just give up entirely and go buy a real bookshelf instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news from SFDK!

Now playing in the Iwerks 4D Theater for a limited time! We've brought back a classic!

DXtcjCxVAAAD-OK.jpg

I LOVED Dino Island as a kid! I would be so excited to see it again for old time's sake! Only thing they're missing is the giant T-Rex biting the fence over the queue line, and the velociraptors fighting each other in the queue.

Okay but nothing will ever be as good as DinoSphere.

Same thing, film-wise. Only missing the queue animatronics as I mentioned. I'm sure those are long gone.

One can still dream of their return, right?

That would be awesome! I found a youtube video the other day from a 1998 visit and they were filming all the animatronics. Made me really nostalgic.