TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Surprised this hasn't made its way over here. Pieces that will hold the center pendulum for Wonder Woman's lasso of Truth have arrived!

Well, bad news already. There doesn't appear to be any LED light fixtures like on Riddler Revenge at SFOT. I suppose they could add them later. I can tell you that this is easily the best flat ride I've ever been on. Your going to love it!!!!

I've always wanted a Double Shot. I think those are 120 ft, but I'm sure someone could make one that's 150 just to maximize things. They could probably find a way to fit that somewhere in Medusa's parking lot or in that general area by Medusa/Kong somewhere.

Bottom line, I just want this park to keep growing and adding valuable rides. They've really done a great job at this over the last 5 years or so. Superman, Sky Skreamer, Tsunami Soaker/Penguin, Joker, and now Wonder Woman. All fabulous additions. I just want it to continue

My guess is that it will continue to some extent, especially as CF is planning to throw some $$$ at CGA, which is their competition (despite being on the other end of the Bay)

I'm still confused about how it's different from VR, maybe because I still haven't used any of the VR coasters. Seems like it should work out better than the VR technology and I hope that is the case.

I'm still confused about how it's different from VR, maybe because I still haven't used any of the VR coasters. Seems like it should work out better than the VR technology and I hope that is the case.

Judging from the announcement, it sounds like there's going to be an active, video game-type component. Something about shooting aliens or something?

Mixed Reality uses the phone's camera to project the real world in your visor until you get to the top of the lift hill where you'll enter a VR wormhole that puts you into the middle of a huge space battle.

Sucks because Kong's lift hill is the only one I've been on that actively scares me. I would have loved to not see the jagged rocks below me while climbing up that hill but oh well.

I like the idea of mixed reality, I think it's a cool idea. However, it doesn't make me want to wait in line for hours on end to ride an SLC. One issue I see is that there's only one camera on the phones, so the environment won't be in true 3D on the lift. This shouldn't be a big problem but it might make the transition from AR to VR, and possibly the entirety of the lift, a bit disorienting. I'm interested to see how this will turn out.

I hear a lot of enthusiasts complain of motion sickness during VR rides. I have yet to ride a coaster with VR. Have any of you heard much about motion sickness during a VR ride from the GP?

I've been on several VR coasters and never had motion sickness problems.

My partner who is very, very prone to motion sickness only had an issue on Ninja at Six Flags St Louis when his headset malfunctioned, and he was stuck in the hanger on the screen the entire ride. However when we rode iron dragon VR, he had an amazing experience and he/we loved the ride!!

I am also good friends with a "gp" person, and she didn't have any type of motion sickness on either of the coasters.

So, as long as it works the way it's suppose to, no motion sickness issues here.

I hear a lot of enthusiasts complain of motion sickness during VR rides. I have yet to ride a coaster with VR. Have any of you heard much about motion sickness during a VR ride from the GP?

I've been on several VR coasters and never had motion sickness problems.

My partner who is very, very prone to motion sickness only had an issue on Ninja at Six Flags St Louis when his headset malfunctioned, and he was stuck in the hanger on the screen the entire ride. However when we rode iron dragon VR, he had an amazing experience and he/we loved the ride!!

I am also good friends with a "gp" person, and she didn't have any type of motion sickness on either of the coasters.

So, as long as it works the way it's suppose to, no motion sickness issues here.

Same here.

The new VR on Kong was awesome!!! With there being no QR codes anymore and the syncing is all via bluetooth it is very easy to get ready. The ride is smooth and very enjoyable. I suggest getting out to the park to ride it!!!

Kong? Smooth? I think you've slammed your head against the restraint one too many times.

The new VR on Kong was awesome!!! With there being no QR codes anymore and the syncing is all via bluetooth it is very easy to get ready. The ride is smooth and very enjoyable. I suggest getting out to the park to ride it!!!

Kong? Smooth? I think you've slammed your head against the restraint one too many times.

After the recent modifications to the track there is little to no headbanging now!!!

After the recent modifications to the track there is little to no headbanging now!!!

I'll believe it when I see it, which may be awhile, as every time I go there, Kong is either shut down or only running one train.

No way. No freaking way. I refuse to believe putting VR on an SLC made it smoother. Nope.

I don't know what Kong you were riding, but last time I rode it with VR I was beaten so senseless that the headset was so far to the side that I could see sunlight. I think most people would consider that to be more than little to no headbanging.

^Maybe he got lucky and got in a good ride on it? I have actually scored a couple good rides on Kong; it can be pretty tolerable if you ride it earlier in the day. Most other times, it sucks.

I've had 4 good rides on Kong since December and I never had headbanging. The only somewhat rough area is the sidewinder. Here's a video link where you can see that it isn't as rough.

After riding Kong for the first time three years ago I told myself I would never ride that CTE inducing piece of crap again. Yet somehow I ended up riding the coaster again during my visit in December and it was actually tolerable, dare I say smooth? At least for an SLC (f**k you T3), it's honestly worth giving it another chance.

Surprised this hasn't made its way over here. Pieces that will hold the center pendulum for Wonder Woman's lasso of Truth have arrived!

Has there been any indication as to whether this Zamperla Giant Discovery will have the same fantastic lighting package as the one at SFOT?

Has there been any indication as to whether this Zamperla Giant Discovery will have the same fantastic lighting package as the one at SFOT?

It's hard to tell from the pieces but the supports look pretty bare unless they're gonna be added later on.

^That's interesting. The one at SFOT already had LED's on it's legs and center arm when it first arrived at the park. Of course, lighting packages like that are expensive . It's possible that SFDK decided not to spend the extra money for the lights.

Here's a pic of the lights on Riddler at SFOT to give an idea of what I'm talking about.

IMG540.thumb.jpg.82c088679a75a38e97dcabf56b135bf6.jpg

After riding Kong for the first time three years ago I told myself I would never ride that CTE inducing piece of crap again. Yet somehow I ended up riding the coaster again during my visit in December and it was actually tolerable, dare I say smooth? At least for an SLC (f**k you T3), it's honestly worth giving it another chance.

I usually give it a courtesy ride because I've actually had more tolerable rides on it than not.

Plus, I will never call Kong rough again after riding T3.