TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Here is a trip report for yesterday. Parking is now $25, which is ridiculous. We started off at The Joker. I asked if we could sit in the very back row, but they were doing assigned seating, so we got placed in the 2nd to last row. The ride itself was outstanding, with excellent hang time. Medusa’s line was quite long because at first they were only running one train and then decided to do test runs of both. The hour long wait is the longest I’ve ever had to wait for Medusa. While waiting in line for Monsoon Falls, the ride experienced technical difficulties and stopped working. Thankfully, the issue was fixed and I was able to ride it. I got absolutely drenched on Monsoon Falls and The Penguin (did them back-to-back), so I paid $5 again to use a dryer. Hammerhead wasn’t operating at all due to technical difficulties; the same was the case with Voodoo. Thrilla Gorilla was also down. On the whole, the lines were longer than when I’ve gone on previous summer weekend days. It was a Discover Card/Season Pass ERT event at the park, which may have contributed to the crowds being how they were.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

TRIP REPORT 7/3/20   We arrived at the parking lot around 9:40am. There were no cars in front of us or behind us. We noticed a few people walking the path toward the park. We parked and took the

Posted Images

Just now leaving the park. They had little games scattered throughout the park where you could win plushies of different Pokémon.

Despite the event, the park wasn't crowded. Probably about average for a weekday.

Superman never opened, Kong was open with one train like usual, and V2 experienced several issues throughout the day.

Joker was running quite well, even though it came to a halt twice throughout the day. (I was on the ride both times). Regardless, I never saw them shut down the ride during the day. Some cars on Purple train sounded like they were running with Polyeruthane wheels (1st and 2nd it felt like), while the others are still vibrating like they usually do with the nylon wheels. Seems odd to me...

The line never seemed to go over 20 minutes, so I mostly rode that all day. Also, they were allowing me to request the back row all day today, so it must depend entirely on how crowded the park is that day.

My guess S&S Free Spin

Did Kong get new vest restraints?

Most Definitely not. Why would they get a free spin right after Joker. There are many other parks in line for a coaster before them. SFA, Sfstl, Sfot, Great Escape, La Ronde.

Did Kong get new vest restraints?

If they do that, it won't happen happen until after they finish the mini refurbishment next month to prepare for the VR headsets. We'll know on September 24th.

I was surprised they said they were getting a new ride. All year I've predicted they were going to get a different movie in the "5D" theater, or VR a coaster for 2017. They're already getting VR this year so "new ride" could be a different (and hopefully better) movie in the IWERKS theater.

Most other Six Flags are rumored for S&S coaster or Justice League, but there has been no clearing of land at SFDK that I know of for either of those, so they seem a bit unlikely. I will throw in S&S drop tower/double shot as an idea, to go in the space between Joker and Superman. That land is already pretty clear since Joker construction, and it seems like a good place for a Justice League themed tower.

You know when you stop and think about it, we really got a lot of new stuff this year compared to other parks.

The Pacific Rim ride film is pretty terrible but at least they brought an unused attraction back from the dead (and there's always the option to switch out the film anyways). VR and a rehab of Revolution at SFMM was all they got and we are also getting new VR plus what looks like a minor rehab of Kong. And of yeah.. there's the addition of the Joker too

After a year like that, I would expect something small. I predict a couple new kids/family rides in Looney Tunes Seaport. There's the empty cement pad where they used to have the water play area and also Daffy's Divers, which has been closed all year, as possible space to add new rides. I know it's not a thrill ride like we all hope (and I hope I'm wrong) but if you look at what the park added in past years there's definitely a pattern and I think this area of the park is due for some TLC.

You know when you stop and think about it, we really got a lot of new stuff this year compared to other parks.

The Pacific Rim ride film is pretty terrible but at least they brought an unused attraction back from the dead (and there's always the option to switch out the film anyways). VR and a rehab of Revolution at SFMM was all they got and we are also getting new VR plus what looks like a minor rehab of Kong. And of yeah.. there's the addition of the Joker too

After a year like that, I would expect something small. I predict a couple new kids/family rides in Looney Tunes Seaport. There's the empty cement pad where they used to have the water play area and also Daffy's Divers, which has been closed all year, as possible space to add new rides. I know it's not a thrill ride like we all hope (and I hope I'm wrong) but if you look at what the park added in past years there's definitely a pattern and I think this area of the park is due for some TLC.

I agree, it's been the best year in a long time at SFDK for new additions.

When did they say that Discovery Kingdom is getting any new ride?

In this month's newsletter. Though as pointed out "new ride" could be a very general term. I also doubt SFDK would install another new coaster that fast. Considering what SFDK has and has gotten recently I really have no idea what it might be. I'll have to wait and see.

Hm, must have missed that when I skimmed through it.

If they are adding a new ride, I'd imagine a new flat ride for the empty spot in Looney Toons Seaport, as someone mentioned above. Possibly a replacement for Voodoo if we're lucky.

I can't imagine what VR on a SLC wound be like, how many people will get nauseous and throw up on the ride, or how many headsets will fly off people's heads during the ride. It almost sounds like its temporary from the announcement just for Fright Fest. I wonder if they are testing out what the guest reception is like before deciding if it is permanent.

I will throw in S&S drop tower/double shot as an idea, to go in the space between Joker and Superman. That land is already pretty clear since Joker construction, and it seems like a good place for a Justice League themed tower.

I've been calling for this for a while. Dig out a whole like 20 ft deep or so, add some basic smoke effects for the "launch" and theme it to Bizarre.

Here is a trip report for yesterday. Parking is now $25, which is ridiculous. We started off at The Joker. I asked if we could sit in the very back row, but they were doing assigned seating, so we got placed in the 2nd to last row. The ride itself was outstanding, with excellent hang time. Medusa’s line was quite long because at first they were only running one train and then decided to do test runs of both. The hour long wait is the longest I’ve ever had to wait for Medusa. While waiting in line for Monsoon Falls, the ride experienced technical difficulties and stopped working. Thankfully, the issue was fixed and I was able to ride it. I got absolutely drenched on Monsoon Falls and The Penguin (did them back-to-back), so I paid $5 again to use a dryer. Hammerhead wasn’t operating at all due to technical difficulties; the same was the case with Voodoo. Thrilla Gorilla was also down. On the whole, the lines were longer than when I’ve gone on previous summer weekend days. It was a Discover Card/Season Pass ERT event at the park, which may have contributed to the crowds being how they were.

$25 for parking? Wth!

Went to the park for the last weekday of summer operation. Went on the joker once around 3 pm-ish. the line wasn't bad at all but the purple train was up in the repair station. So what should of been maybe a 20 min wait or so became around 38 mins of waiting. They killed of The Joker's Flash Pass and so are now letting people onto the stairwells so while the line may seem short on the outside there's maybe another 25-50 people on the stairs.

other then that it was just bumper cars and a double ride on cobra. My main reason for honestly coming was for Pokemon Go as well as taking advantage of our season dining passes. Got a bulbasuar at the parking lot tram station around 11:05 am and a Dratini on the path heading to Seal Cove from the front of the park. Later on found a Scyther near the bumper cars.

Pacific Rim was closed. No idea if it was due to lack of staff or if they are setting it up for a fright fest haunted house/maze.

Oh White Water was open but the first and only good waterfall was not on. I barely got wet on the ride.

It probably is the same screen. I've never found the screen to be an issue, though. The old projector is what needs to be replaced. On top of using a film not suited for a motion simulator, the picture quality is too poor to be considered acceptable. A 4K digital projector would be optimal right now, but highly unlikely for a park of this size.

Hm, must have missed that when I skimmed through it.

If they are adding a new ride, I'd imagine a new flat ride for the empty spot in Looney Toons Seaport, as someone mentioned above. Possibly a replacement for Voodoo if we're lucky.

Maybe a Zamperla Endeavor and Zamperla Disk O?

Of those two, the Endeavor seems the most fitting to me. Having a Disk-O would be redundant alongside Tasmanian Devil. This is Six Flags, though...

Of those two, the Endeavor seems the most fitting to me. Having a Disk-O would be redundant alongside Tasmanian Devil. This is Six Flags, though...

Like Monkey Business and The Penguin?

Like at California's Great America with Tiki Twirl and Delirium?

Of course with Huss' removals lately, I wouldn't be surprised to see Taz-Boy removed or Voodoo.