TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Joker had a really strange vibration in the green train/back seat this Sunday that I didn't feel during the preview night or the weekend after that.

That being said, that first drop is so amazing that all four out of four times I've been on it I completely forget what element comes next. It's a mixture of disorientation and thinking for a split second that I'm riding Roar.

Joker had a really strange vibration in the green train/back seat this Sunday that I didn't feel during the preview night or the weekend after that.

Is the front still vibrating, as well?

I would never ride the front seat on Joker.

Is it because the back seat is the best or because the front is so loud?

For me, both though I'd still go on the front. The back two rows are super intense though.

front row is better for me in the morning, back row later in the day as it warms up

I rode Joker nine times today, all over the train. This is my third RMC, after Texas Giant and Colossus. A few things I noticed were:

-It seems to have a weird rattle that I have never noticed on other RMC's. I only felt it when riding in cars four and five (green train) but it had an intense rattle that felt like I was sitting in a massage chair on ultra super max power.

-It does seem to run better later in the day. I know that polyurethane on flat track gives a higher coefficient of friction, so maybe some "warming up" can make a big difference. I also seemed to notice this on Texas Giant as well, but not so much on TC.

-It had a 30 minute wait most of today. That was the longest wait in the park by far, as the park was fairly dead. It had the long wait due to being the newest ride, and the single train operations.

-Though the ending did look intense, I actually think my favorite part is the stretch between the zero-G stall and the first overbank. I liked best the trick-track airtime hill-wave turn-double down-tilted airtime hill stretch the most.

-This one did not seem to be quite as well paced as the other RMC's I have ridden. The overbanks were not quite as well paced as the rest of the ride, and I think I like it better when when RMC sticks to fewer inversions.

It was my 216th roller coaster, and I would consider it for my top ten steel. If I wrote a comprehensive list down, I might be able to decide. For now, I will call it a boarderline top ten, at least in my list.

Thanks your your analysis.

-This one did not seem to be quite as well paced as the other RMC's I have ridden. The overbanks were not quite as well paced as the rest of the ride

I would agree with this except as you said, it runs differently at different times and I have had a few rides where it was hauling the entire course (and less screechy/rattly on these banks too). My last few rides it slowed down a lot in the banked turns but I hope it grows out of it soon.

Just wanted to note it was still running only green train yesterday and had 20-40 min waits all through the afternoon. The crew was hauling, but the line still moved slow. More strict seating assignments, you can ask for a row that isn't already filled but you can't wait for any. They're also getting better at calling up single riders and matching them. Also, they're making a big point to tell people not to pull down the lap bats early and people are still doing it.

I was really impressed with how fast the employees were moving, they all know they have something special with this one and it's important to get as many people on it as possible.

You know I wish RMC and Premier and whoever else is manufacturing these new lap bars would produce a "California" version where the lap bars would be locked up or something until the operator unlocks or lowers them. Sure would save a lot of time (and thus $)

You know I wish RMC and Premier and whoever else is manufacturing these new lap bars would produce a "California" version where the lap bars would be locked up or something until the operator unlocks or lowers them. Sure would save a lot of time (and thus $)

Haha, that's a good idea. It seems most visitors to this park can't seem to listen to the person shouting over the loudspeaker.

Hopefully, they'll fix whatever issues the purple train is having as soon as possible. Although, I worry the instant that it's placed on the track, the green will be taken off.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but is there a reason why the operators do not want riders pulling down the lap bars? Am I just reading it wrong, or is it some kind of state regulation?

They can't check the seatbelts if the lapbar is already down.

Just wanted to note it was still running only green train yesterday and had 20-40 min waits all through the afternoon. The crew was hauling, but the line still moved slow. More strict seating assignments, you can ask for a row that isn't already filled but you can't wait for any. They're also getting better at calling up single riders and matching them. Also, they're making a big point to tell people not to pull down the lap bats early and people are still doing it.

I was really impressed with how fast the employees were moving, they all know they have something special with this one and it's important to get as many people on it as possible.

I hope they are getting good at calling up single riders because my friend's family either keeps him from coming or he's busy and he lives in Oakdale of all places. That's over 100 miles one way I think.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but is there a reason why the operators do not want riders pulling down the lap bars? Am I just reading it wrong, or is it some kind of state regulation?

They can't check the seatbelts if the lapbar is already down.

Its a Six Flags thing to require seat belts on any coaster that inverts, California isnt the only place that has them, but theyre required on all California coasters. They went back and retrofitted all inverting coasters with seat belts in about 2013. I remember Superman was very awkward and very slow loading for quite a while when that happened. Right when the coaster reopened I remember the ride ops were requiring individual verbal affirmation from all riders that they wouldnt touch the lap bars before they opened the air gates.

The short summary is the coasters require seat belts, and the ride ops are required to check the seat belts with the lap bar up, so if anyone pulls the bar down before their seat belt is checked, they have to recheck either the car or the whole train depending on the coaster.

I know Joker has the ability to lock and unlock individual seats and rows where Superman can only lock or unlock the whole train so if someone messes up on Superman, they have to recheck the entire train.

That sounds great on paper, but some parks actually use that system, and it is even worse.

Silverwood does that. They leave the lap bars up so they can check the seatbelts first, and then after the ops are done checking those, they have to walk down the rows again to check lap bars. Now, Silverwood is a great park, but their loading procedures combined with single train operations make Six Flags look lightning fast.

What could work is having a system that allows the restraints to be locked up or down by individual cars or rows. That would require a lot of coordination with the control panel op and the ones checking restraints, though.

The best solution for future designs would be to redesign the seatbelts or trains so that they can be checked after the lap bar is lowered. Intamin designs their trains like this. On El Toro, the seatbelt tabs are made to be very long and heavy, so they hand out the side of the train, meaning they can easily be checked by the operator even after the lab bar has been lowered. However, RMC and Premier may have to radically change their designs to allow a system like that to work.

And I am pretty sure that this is just a Six Flags thing, not a California thing. Both California Screamin and Viper still operate with the lone OTSR's and no seatbelts.

How long has V2 been closed? Normally a ride doesn't get listed as SBNO on RCDB unless there are some serious issues with it.

I rode it some time last fall but it definitely hasn't been open this year. I noticed them doing more work on it this week but there are still a lot of train pieces lying around.

Also, you'd think guests at SFDK would know not to pull the lap bar down since they've had the rule at Superman for a long time. The ride op at Joker literally got everyone to look at him while we were waiting for the train to come back and he told us the rule, and apparently people were still not doing it right. Superman seemed to get better after the first year of that rule so hopefully people learn for Joker as well.

That sounds great on paper, but some parks actually use that system, and it is even worse.

Silverwood does that. They leave the lap bars up so they can check the seatbelts first, and then after the ops are done checking those, they have to walk down the rows again to check lap bars.

Well that's basically what they're doing now when someone puts a lap bar down who's not supposed to.
The best solution for future designs would be to redesign the seatbelts or trains so that they can be checked after the lap bar is lowered. Intamin designs their trains like this. On El Toro, the seatbelt tabs are made to be very long and heavy, so they hand out the side of the train, meaning they can easily be checked by the operator even after the lab bar has been lowered. However, RMC and Premier may have to radically change their designs to allow a system like that to work.
From what I've been told by various SF managers, it's their policy not to check any seat belts underneath a restraint bar. Even if it can be done, they don't want to take the chance of a false positive.
And I am pretty sure that this is just a Six Flags thing' date=' not a California thing. Both California Screamin and Viper still operate with the lone OTSR's and no seatbelts.[/quote']It's not all Six Flags and its not all California, but its all Six Flags in California.

^^Okay, maybe my knowledge of El Toro could be outdated. I know they had no problems checking the seatbelts with the lap bars down, but that was five years ago. I will be headed there in two weeks, so I will know then if loading procedure has changed. It is pretty clear that the seatbelts were deigned to be checked with the lap bars down, but SF could have changed their policy, still.

But also, Six Flags does not check restraints in the exact same way Silverwood does. At Six Flags parks, they check the seatbelts first, then lower the lap bar for the same rider immediately after. At Silverwood, they lock the lap bars up, then walk down the entire train checking seatbelts, and after they are down with that, they walk down the entire train again checking lap bars. Six Flags ops walk down the rows once checking two things with each rider at a time. At Silverwood, they walk all the way down the rows and check one thing, then they walk down the rows again and check the next thing. While Silverwood's system is more idiot-proof, Six Flags' system is still much faster.

So got a ride advisory survey and i clicked on SF:DK as my most visited park. After answering some basic justice leauge questions I got to this

Unless i'm blind, deaf and really stupid. SF:DK doesn't have one. Sooo.. maybe we're getting one?

Later on it says "The Justice League attraction at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is a ride.

What kind of ride do you think Justice League is?"

Unless they are doing each set of sets on V2 as a different character. I have no idea what they are talking about.