TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Very intrigued to see what's going on with these new RMC trains...has anything changed since the ones they built last year? They had such a good track record before this season, and now three of their four new rides have been delayed.

A cylinder that they use for the restraints has changed since last year's model. It was apparently found that a manufacturing defect occurred on on Lightning Rod's trains, and based on the issues Joker's been having, it might be affecting Joker's trains, too.

I don't think that's an accurate analysis. SFDK must know about the recall, and that being true they wouldn't intentionally keep running a train with a part they knew to be recalled when RMC specifically said to shut down all affected rides. If it were the same part, Joker would be closed. The fact that it's still open proves that whatever issue Joker is having, it's not the same that caused the recall.

Only place i've seen RMC order coasters to be shutdown is dollywood saying that all of the ride's they made should be shutdown. I rode it four times on that friday opening last month across both trains and I never truly felt unsafe on it. I'll be at the park today and I'll ride it if it's open.

Only place i've seen RMC order coasters to be shutdown is dollywood saying that all of the ride's they made should be shutdown. I rode it four times on that friday opening last month across both trains and I never truly felt unsafe on it. I'll be at the park today and I'll ride it if it's open.
Dollywood and Kolmarden both referred to a notice from RMC that ordered all coasters down until they installed a replacement part. Many people assumed all coasters meant all coasters, but since a lot remained open, apparently only certain ones were affected, and since it was never confirmed people have speculated on what the part was or what coasters were actually affected.

I just don't think any Six Flags park would allow an affected coaster to keep running when a part was recalled. SF can be lazy at times, but they're not likely to be that lazy when it could cause a lawsuit.

Also both Dollywood and Kolmarden have said that they found no problems and that they had no reason to believe the rides were unsafe at any time, but they're following the recall for safety anyway. It's kind of like when an automobile manufacturer recalls a part that could cause a problem at a later time but hasn't caused a problem yet. There's no problem yet, but you should still replace the part asap so that the problem doesn't occur.

Is SFDK running two trains on The Joker now? It's still not listing Joker on the flash pass on the website. Has anyone see it offered on the pass at the park yet? I'm sure if they do add it though, it'll probably be an additional fee like they're doing at some of their other parks. I swear...Six Flags has the worst pass system...it's so freaking confusing at all their parks.

Is SFDK running two trains on The Joker now? It's still not listing Joker on the flash pass on the website. Has anyone see it offered on the pass at the park yet? I'm sure if they do add it though, it'll probably be an additional fee like they're doing at some of their other parks. I swear...Six Flags has the worst pass system...it's so freaking confusing at all their parks.
It has been running green train only since last week. I heard it is platinum only but I havent tried it.

In other news, from the newsletter:

capture000.jpg.fd5b399076e3dc64288805f3a045932d.jpg

I think I might check out the behind the scenes shark exhibit event, that might be interesting.

Joker was closed before the part recall even was announced. The fact that it's running now doesn't necessarily mean the issues were different, it could just mean they took care of it (on at least green train) before LR or Wildfire.

But we really don't know, all we know is it's running now (albeit one train) and that's good enough for me to trust that things are alright.

So I'll be there some time in July to get some of those sublime back left rides, anyone who doesn't trust that Six Flags has the issue handled can go ride Medusa.

Went to the park today and rode the joker 3 times today. It didn't open up until like 11:15 am if not longer. I saw at least two mechanics working on a sensor or camera at the curve in the brake-run when you pass trough the transfer station. I got in as the first public rider and that first ride on the front left seat, well it wasn't painful but you could clearly hear at least one of the wheels having issues and feel some level of jerkiness too it. however later on in the day i rode the back left side and while I heard it, the ride was more or less smooth. Same with riding the front right of the green train for my final ride of it for the day.

There weren't too many people in the park but due to single rider line the wait time was easily half a hour. Also on that first ride of the day. When I buckled in I looked back and there was no less then 4 people doing a walk of shame with bags.

it's still only running the green train and it's only valid on the platinum fastpass and only once at least acording to the flash pass sales person when I talked to them on Joker's season pass holder opening day. SF:DK is molasses like slow in updating their website. I saw two people use it on the joker today. Didn't ask which level they bought.

It has a single rider line now? Do they still manage to dispatch the train with half of the seats empty?

oh god I wish it had a single rider line. The grouper at the top of the stairs was bummed out when I told him "one" and that "I'd like to ride in back please." He called out the the staffer below the stairs but either they didn't find a single rider or they simply just didn't look which is the likely scenario.

However the train's I saw were around 96% full on avrage. maybe 2-3 empty seats. but those add up when you only run a single 24 person train.

However the train's I saw were around 96% full on avrage. maybe 2-3 empty seats. but those add up when you only run a single 24 person train.

Well, it's better than nothing, I guess. Last time I was there, trains were constantly leaving half full.

Yeah, I just got that in my email. I was thinking of going tomorrow, but may be cutting my visit short if it gets too busy. I'm hoping that people don't really start taking advantage of the offer until next week. Though it really isn't the park's fault that the ride has been down, and they clearly worked hard to get the ride back up and running as soon as possible, it's still a nice gesture.

At the park. The Joker hasn't opened yet, but is testing both trains. The purple train has been going through with employees riding.

Edit: It's open now, with both trains, but they're not loading the purple train.

Did the purple train make as much noise as the green one? When I was there Wednesday that green train was making more noise then I ever heard before from The Joker or even TC at Magic Mountain.

At the park. The Joker hasn't opened yet, but is testing both trains. The purple train has been going through with employees riding.

Edit: It's open now, with both trains, but they're not loading the purple train.

Did the purple train make as much noise as the green one? When I was there Wednesday that green train was making more noise then I ever heard before from The Joker or even TC at Magic Mountain.

Both trains are noisy at the bottom of the first drop, though I didn't watch the purple train in other places on the course. While the green train is noisy, it's not as noisy as it was last Tuesday.

So, I had a decent visit to the park. It was rather busy. The Joker had two out of three long sections of queue filled up. With one train operation, I guess it was at least an hour wait. I got on the ride once at noon, right after they opened it, riding the front of the second train of the day. The purple train cycled all day, heres hoping to two train operation in the near future...

Enjoy some pictures of my favorite roller coaster in California.

145742327_FirstDrop.jpg.26b75001ec2a0f999baf037c3e171dfe.jpg

Love this drop. The back is all sorts of crazy.

1636616977_PurpleTrain.thumb.jpg.05c9541ad3bb9acaf3821733982935c1.jpg

Hello riderless purple train. We'll ride soon. Yes? Pretty please?

1905474542_DoubleCamelBack.jpg.1278cc1942f8941bc1a63f02cbc6bef9.jpg

The airtime here is brief, but very strong.

259712676_WeirdBanking.jpg.6ffa1212696f45bef36bdde7304fd625.jpg

This part is weird and wonderful.

Airtime.jpg.259422abf210ea776d5611139825ad23.jpg

Strong end to the ride.

Heartline.thumb.jpg.65bc03ce18e28ace9d7f95c63b02b55a.jpg

Look at that train on that track. A perfect example of a heartline.

761586278_IMG_0367resized.jpg.d8bf280896c3f6fefb8f525d701f867b.jpg

Dropping and turning.

Friday Update:

Joker: As mentioned, it opened about 12:15 running both trains. Purple was running empty after they opened the ride. They were exercising the restraints after each cycle. Wait time was about an hour most of the day. Dropped to about 45 minutes late in the afternoon. The ops are now only allowing enough riders on the platform to fill the train. They are assigning rows to fill the train and then hold riders at the top of the stairs. It seems you can "request" a row, and they will allow you to go to that row. This means that there are few, if any, riders left on the platform after the train departs. Eliminates the "don't touch the gates" issue they were having.

Hammerhead: Open!

Voodoo and V2: Still closed with no activity.

Food News:

Seaside Sandwiches: Open. Most items on the dining pass.

JB's: Open. Most items on the dining pass. The place looked closed from the outside. Most people just walked by. Basically empty inside at 5:00. Different items from the old place. And they use steak fries. Multiple TVs and a bar.

Johnny Rockets: The single meal is now included in the dining pass (previously was a $1 upcharge). Double meal is now a $1 upcharge (previously was $2).

Friday Update:

Joker: As mentioned, it opened about 12:15 running both trains. Purple was running empty after they opened the ride. They were exercising the restraints after each cycle. Wait time was about an hour most of the day. Dropped to about 45 minutes late in the afternoon. The ops are now only allowing enough riders on the platform to fill the train. They are assigning rows to fill the train and then hold riders at the top of the stairs. It seems you can "request" a row, and they will allow you to go to that row. This means that there are few, if any, riders left on the platform after the train departs. Eliminates the "don't touch the gates" issue they were having.

Hammerhead: Open!

Voodoo and V2: Still closed with no activity.

Food News:

Seaside Sandwiches: Open. Most items on the dining pass.

JB's: Open. Most items on the dining pass. The place looked closed from the outside. Most people just walked by. Basically empty inside at 5:00. Different items from the old place. And they use steak fries. Multiple TVs and a bar.

Johnny Rockets: The single meal is now included in the dining pass (previously was a $1 upcharge). Double meal is now a $1 upcharge (previously was $2).

I got the buffalo bone-in wings at JB's sports Bar on Wednesday. 8 wings with 3 slices of celery and carrots. The sauce was like a sub-par Franks Redhot the chicken itself was alright. Was planing on trying the bacon cheesebuger for Dinner but I stuck with fish n chips. Also RIP pulled pork at SF:DK. You weren't great, but you were decent enough.

Still hoping they'll add roasted turkey leg to the dinning menu. "I would be so happy"- Craig, South Park.

^Great news!

Doug, great photos, and I'm glad you agree with me that it's the best in CA.

And I'm glad to hear the sandwiches are open! I peeked at their menu and they have a lot of sandwiches with produce but none that were strictly vegetarian/vegan, but I'm hoping they let us request our own sandwiches so I can request all the produce on one epic salad sandwich!

Also, when I was there last in May, it looked like JBs had some more craft beer options. Can anyone confirm?

Great news - I've heard from a friend at the park right now that Joker is running and loading both trains!

Awesome! I've been trying to find an excuse to get out to Cali to go to SFMM and now it looks like SFDK is on the map as well. Any park with an RMC is automatically brought up a tier because they have an RMC. Now that Joker is open, SFDK is finally settling into that tier.