TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^It's three flat turns. Seriously?

Have you ever been on an RMC?? "Three flat turns" on an RMC coaster will be lateral filled awesomeness.

I've been on three of them - you're just blindly fanboying if you think that three little turns taken at probably 10 miles per hour will offer you 'lateral-filled awesomeness'. It's a pre-lift, and a very uninspired one at that.

So last night I ordered 4 season passes from their seemingly annual sale. I'm sure the order went threw but they never sent any e-mail confirmation and I ordered the passes paperwork through USPS.

Seriously not liking them right now. Paying 322 dollars for 4 passes and a season meal thing and they can't even give you a simple confirmation via e-mail?

edit: had to call them up to get a confirmation e-mail. Apparently they don't like aol.com domains.

I've been on three of them - you're just blindly fanboying if you think that three little turns taken at probably 10 miles per hour will offer you 'lateral-filled awesomeness'. It's a pre-lift, and a very uninspired one at that.

1.) I don't "fanboy." Sorry.

2.) I have been on almost all of the RMC coasters, and I think that they do a great job making the "pre-lift" have a little something fun to it. I think that New Texas Giant's pre-lift is fun in the fact that it is only one turn taken at "probably 10 miles per hour" yet you still get some nice lateral g's. It is just a fun moment. Outlaw Run has the same thing going in the back row. When you come out of the station towards the back of the train you get some nice lateral g's. Same thing with Iron Rattler... Goliath six flags great america... same thing... Wicked Cyclone ... same thing... I mean, I could keep going but I think we get the point.

I have not been on TC yet, but the pre-lift also looks awesome. Maybe you and I just have different opinions of awesome, but I enjoy the lateral g's of the RMC conversions. Yes, this is "just a pre-lift," but I don't think it is uninspired... I mean they could just make every single new RMC coaster go straight from the station into the lift hill... That seems like it would be really awesome. I mean who needs a pre-lift anyway? After all It's "just a pre-lift." right?

What do you want for them to do? Raise the station 60 ft, and give the coaster 10 inversions, and 6 launches before the lift hill? They are redoing a coaster that is already there, so they are (for the most part) following the foot print that is already there. Given what they have to work with I think they executed the pre-lift pretty damn well, and knowing how RMC's ride, I think people will really enjoy the pre-lift. No need for a tunnel. If a coaster is going to have a tunnel on it, I think tunnels work best somewhere on a coaster where the train is going more than 10mph. But... That's just my opinion.

Well WC can't really do much at all with its prelift considering the transfer track is right after the station. The prelift looks alright, but the prelift doesn't matter. TC's prelift had barely any airtime and wasn't very crazy at all. They just need a way to get to the lift and that's what they did.

So, just went ahead and got 2016 passes, but have a few questions...

1) Will the 2015 Bring-A-Friend Days work for 2016 passes? Doesn't seem like I can access the online account until I actually process the passes in person, so I'm not sure what benefits I have just yet...if you know of a way to access the account before processing the passes, that would be helpful. Extremely important actually because we want to bring friends the first time we go.

2) Can you Bring-A-Friend free to a park that isn't your home one? Definitely confusion surrounding this one...we had Magic Mountain passes last time even though we lived near Vallejo (wanted to be able to get into the water park down South), but the Six Flags site never makes it clear. I've assumed that your "home" area which is where you get the e-mails is where perks like those would only apply...but who knows?

Also, didn't this site have a Water World thread? Curious about using 2016 passes their for 2015 Bring-A-Friend days since they just clip the damn cards anyway (you get two corners to clip per pass).

1. they did for me last year. I brought my friend in september in 2014 on my 2015 gold pass. It was insanely packed, the worst i'ver ever seen it. worse then my last visit even. Would not recommend doing this month's bring a friend unless you really want to.

2. I never tried using it at six flags magic mountain, but they after dffrent bring a friend days then SF:DK so my guess is no.

1) Yeah, it makes sense that the next year's passes would work for all the Bring-A-Friend perks...the e-mails never have specified only one year's pass working for that. They just say if you have the pass (or Gold Pass) that you can bring in friends on those days. So, they should work.

I'm surprised you had such a poor experience. My girlfriend and I live in the area and with our 2014 passes, we went to the park eight or nine times during 2013/2014 and not one time was it a busy day (we went on offseason days all around the year. All but one were Sundays (one was the day before Thanksgiving) and one Sunday was actually in mid-August. A half hour wait for Kong is the worst we ever had...Superman: First Flight was almost always five minutes max...Roar's peak was like twenty minutes one day...V2 was always a walk-on...Medusa never really exceeded ten minutes wait, etc. I recommend taking out Kong as soon as possible on your days there until the Joker comes along as it always has the longest wait. They are usually just running one train and its a two-seater, so you do the math....I mean, it's still kind of strange that it fills up like crazy since hardly anybody is ever on Superman...

Did you go on a Saturday? Because in my experience, it can make ALL the difference. We went to Six Flags Magic Mountain on four days over the life of the pass. The first weekend we went was at the end of September and having been used to Disney World being in an absolute ghost town even on Saturdays during that month, I figured nobody would be there. Instead, there were hour waits for basically every ride on the Saturday (Full Throttle, Batman, Goliath, etc.) which while much better than peak summer season was still absolutely horrible. The very next day, Sunday, the peak times were a half hour for Full Throttle and twenty minutes for Tatsu (X2 was closed due to the lift chain). Moral of the story? Never go on Saturdays.

We also went mid-week in May to MM, by the way. Absolutely nobody is there. X2 was a freakin' walk-on in the middle of the day and we rode it back-to-back times at the end of our second day there. You can go to MM without the crowds if you plan accordingly.

Also, it should be noted that DK draws more of a "family" audience in general due to a great flat selection and the animal attractions...on plenty of Sundays, the parking lot would actually be filled up pretty nicely, but then everybody walking to the park or riding the tram were pushing strollers or walking with small children, hence why the coasters have like no wait times.

For the record, that cheerleader thing that everyone tries to avoid wasn't bad at all (especially on the Sunday we went). I mean, the walkway was LOADED with people and the grandstand area near the lake was completely filled, but basically none of those people actually went on the rides. A few of those cheer girls were in line for Roar and that was about it...again, DK just attracts a weird crowd that isn't really there as much for the coasters as you would expect.

2) Yeah, with some parks relatively close to one another for a lot of people (or even the same amount of driving), you figure they would tell you if your Bring-A-Friend perks actually worked at the other park so you could plan accordingly. We're actually much happier to have DK since we have plenty of friends where we actually live that can go with no problem rather than trying to convince them to do a ten hour round-trip drive to MM. We're definitely not going to go to DK as much with the new passes (or MM more than two visits), but we only paid half price and DK will be a different experience if we mostly just take other people this time...we really couldn't be bothered to spend a full day with friends at DK in the past when the two of us would often just visit for about 90 minutes at a time in the past, riding the coasters and going home. It's a fun spur-of-the-moment activity when you live nearby and can always take advantage of the fact that there's like no lines on Sundays outside of the summer months.

The Bring a Friend Free days should work at other parks. I have a gold pass at Over Texas, used it at Great America, and they asked if I had a friend to bring in.

Well, that solves that riddle. No big loss as I mentioned that we had no intention in the past of ever really making a day out of Discovery Kingdom with friends. I mean, in general, I don't see why they'd care...they're trying to make a bunch of money on overpriced food and merch as that's where all the amusement parks really bring home the change. I was pretty astonished to learn while working at Disney that the average visitor spends like $200 on that stuff...my family would just go home with a couple of cheap souvenirs.

As far as Six Flags is concerned, I wonder if they'd even make a buck off of us if we went as often with this half priced pass as we did in the past. $61 to go to Magic Mountain/DK (and park) on 12 different visits. Last time we had a pass, my girlfriend bought two or three vending machine drinks, so we gave them an extra $12 or so in addition to the couple hundred we spent on passes. Not sure how on earth they'd make money off people like us paying as low as $51 (which was the cheapest option in this flash deal yesterday).

Good god, it's a pre-lift section. What is it supposed to do? Launch you 60 mph through an inversion into the lift? Just be glad you're getting this awesome coaster.

Haha...this made me laugh.

BTW, I think TC's pre-lift is great. Not because it does anything really useful, but because it's not a boring straightaway, which on a "steel" coaster is much more noticeable. RMC knows what they're doing.

The Joker should lift you up backwards (and by that, I mean a towering mechanical joker lifting up the train with a hand) and then spins the train around so you're facing forwards and then The Joker shoots flame out of its big mechanical flame-shooting mouth and that pushes the train down the hill and then there's now a loop in the middle of the ride that's way, way bigger than the one on Full Throttle and the ride doesn't end but you do it three more times in succession and then at the end you get a free picture of you and your friends on the ride because they're being nice and then if you don't come out smiling there will be a worker in the park that will ask Why So Serious? and then you'll smile and you can go look at an elephant later.

Otherwise, I will be disappointed and will be spending all of my time on Boomerang.

The Bring a Friend Free days should work at other parks. I have a gold pass at Over Texas, used it at Great America, and they asked if I had a friend to bring in.

Well unless six flags ever confirms that at a corporate or park level, I wouldn't really take that as 100% truth. Not sure at SF:GA but at SF:DK the gate attendants are barely trained high schoolers or collage aged kids. I mean, last time I was at SF:DK the guest relations had zero idea they we even doing ERT after the park closes and had to call up a park manager or something to find out what rides were to be opened.

I think we are seeing the reason why you can get almost a year and a half of six flags for 51 bucks.

pre-lifts aside, i'm interested to see the first GCI ironhorse, consensus is that GCI's age poorly. "i predict this will be the first of many."

I wouldn't necessarily say that they age poorly, as with proper maintenance, GCIs can run relatively smooth for a long period of time, especially when compared to Gravity Group or CCI manufactured coasters. (Not that I have anything against CCI and Gravity Group...)

Well unless six flags ever confirms that at a corporate or park level, I wouldn't really take that as 100% truth. Not sure at SF:GA but at SF:DK the gate attendants are barely trained high schoolers or collage aged kids. I mean, last time I was at SF:DK the guest relations had zero idea they we even doing ERT after the park closes and had to call up a park manager or something to find out what rides were to be opened.

I think we are seeing the reason why you can get almost a year and a half of six flags for 51 bucks.

As I said, should. Will they? Who knows, it is Six Flags after all.

I'm not sure exactly what they see when they scan passes/scan fingers. Is it just a confirmation? A detail on the pass? Something that they started doing on the passes is rather then state which park they are from they just say a family of parks. I guess the only way to find out is e-mail or call them.

(FYI, the person at GA was in their 30's.)