TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

That log flume concept you mentioned many pages back seemed like a neat, standout idea. It was to go through some of the animal exhibits, right?

Yeah, they would have built new Croc, Flamingo and Hippo exhibits plus a modified Elephant exhibit. The ride would have gone over some exhibits and under some into clear tubes. It was really amazing looking.

Yeah a Screamin' Swing is on my list of stuff every park should have, along with a carousel, an good drop tower (Intamin, Larson or ARM), a good woodie, a Schwarzkopf a log flume, a rapids ride, and a shoot-the-chutes type ride.

They had a Schwarzkopf, I doubt they would get another. Also the park has most of those rides with the exception of the swing, log and drop. They aren't getting a drop any time soon, and the park has a fairly impressive collection of flats already so I don't see corporate thinking too much in terms of flats. It's not out of the question, but not as likely I'd say.

Don't know if anyone has noticed this... but not only has Shouka Stadium been renamed to Pacific Stadium on the park map, but Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has removed "Celebrate Shouka" from the show lineup on the website. They've also removed all traces of Shouka on the webiste. Could this be the beginning of the end of Shouka?

Edit: It hasn't been changed on the website's park map but the park map I got when I visited last week has Shouka Stadium renamed to Pacific Stadium. I'll post the picture later if you guys want it.

Don't know if anyone has noticed this... but not only has Shouka Stadium been renamed to Pacific Stadium on the park map, but Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has removed "Celebrate Shouka" from the show lineup on the website. They've also removed all traces of Shouka on the webiste. Could this be the beginning of the end of Shouka?

Edit: It hasn't been changed on the website's park map but the park map I got when I visited last week has Shouka Stadium renamed to Pacific Stadium. I'll post the picture later if you guys want it.

I actually just read on Screamscape's twitter that Shouka was moved from the park and now at Seaworld San Diego.

Edited by robman

Confirmed

It's bitter sweet. Working at the park I got to be fairly familiar with the animals, even getting to go in to the backstage areas with Shouka. She was always very social. I remember coming in and cleaning the stadium on a day the park was closed and she would follow us around the pool and try to splash us. If you talked to her she would often make noises back.

That said, those of us at the park knew all too well the difficulties of Shouka. It's hard on a whale to be alone and it showed when we had to cancel shows (once for an entire season) because she didn't want to perform. The staff was always great with her, and sure there were a lot of sad people at the park, but I'm very happy Six Flags chose to lose out on the revenue she created in favor of her well being.

^Weird. Almost makes you wonder if Six Flags is slowly starting to pull out of the animal business. Between this announcement and the Safari changes at SFGAd, should make August 30 that much more interesting!

I hadnt been there in a long time so I don't know how long it may have been the norm but that was definitely the vibe I got when I was there last month based on the attention that the animal attractions seemed to be getting from both the guests and the staff; made me wonder the same thing. Not saying they looked like they were being mistreated or anything, the animal attractions just seemed like an afterthought.

Based both on that article and what Kevin says it doesn't sound like they moved her because they didn't want to do the shows they did it for the well being of the animal..but I wonder if they will invest the time and money to find (a) new whale(s) or just abandon the attraction.

Based both on that article and what Kevin says it doesn't sound like they moved her because they didn't want to do the shows they did it for the well being of the animal..but I wonder if they will invest the time and money to find (a) new whale(s) or just abandon the attraction.

They tried basically since they got Shouka to find another whale so she had a companion with no luck. It's next to impossible to get a Killer Whale due to all the restrictions.

I disagree with the idea that park is getting away from animals. They have made significant investments over the last 10 years alone with Ocean Discovery, Odin's Temple of the Tiger and Tava's Jungleland not to mention upgrades to Dolphin Harbor, Sea Lion Stadium and Pacific Stadium(which is easily ready to be used for something else with Shouka gone). Also, they make a good amount of money from Dolphin Discovery (the swimming with dolphins program), Sharks in the Dark (Sleepover in Shark Experience) and other animal up-charges (feeding sea lions, elephant rides, etc.). Plus, the animals are a huge draw for the park and create the "family friendly" environment that many other Six Flags parks can't seem to figure out.

I'm honestly not worried that the Animals are going anywhere. Shouka was just an unfortunate but necessary move I think.

While I think SFDK is one of the nicer parks in the chain I think the Shouka show was lacking. I'm glad she is being moved to SWSD as her health and well being can only improve. Sea World takes very good care of their animals and I have no doubts that this is a positive move for all parties involved.

I hope Shouka has a better time at sea world, kinda sucks the move had to happen in mid season though.

Really wondering what they'll do with that huge stadium now. I wounder if they could move the seal show to it. Unless.... They are going to train sharks and attach laser beams to their forhead's!!!

I'm sad to see Shouka leave, but I'm glad she'll be around other killer whales now. I have been hoping that SFDK could find another killer whale since they got Shouka, but it just didn't work out.

I am hoping that SFDK figures out something to do with the stadium. I don't want to see a second large stadium sitting vacant for years.

Of course if they did decide to tear out the stadium it would open up a pretty large area in the part of the park. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do.

Your referring to the ski show stadium right? and not one of the other animal shows.

I would expect this stadium to stay. If they don't have a new idea to put there I would expect them if anything to move another show to this one, and get rid of one of the other ones. This is their biggest and main stadium/pool.

One of the cool things about this park is that while rides have come and gone, pretty much everything that was there when it was Marine World Africa USA is still there.

Your referring to the ski show stadium right? and not one of the other animal shows.

Yeah, Chabot stadium. I just miss the days when there was some kind of show in that stadium.

I do expect to see SFDK keep Pacific Stadium, because like you said, they can move another show there. I do appreciate that most of the Marine World Africa USA stuff still exists. Hopefully they will announce something on August 30.

I don't think the animals are going anywhere. With the height limits back there, Six Flags couldn't do much except build a bunch of small flats. I highly doubt they would do that. And also now that I think about it, Tava's Jungleland, Seaport Junction, and the monkey themed rides (why do we even have monkey themed rides if there are no monkeys?) would be semi-hard to explain and a waste of money. I think Six Flags just wanted to get the problem off their hands.

Edit: Reading the previous insight, I could see then moving the Sea Lions. The Sea Lions take up a pretty large plot of land that is in the 150ft zone. I could also see some sort of new food court there as that is something SFDK is lacking. Of course that then separates the Sea Lion exhibit from the Sea Lion show but they do that with the dolphins too.

Edit: Reading the previous insight, I could see then moving the Sea Lions. The Sea Lions take up a pretty large plot of land that is in the 150ft zone. I could also see some sort of new food court there as that is something SFDK is lacking. Of course that then separates the Sea Lion exhibit from the Sea Lion show but they do that with the dolphins too.

That could work, but I just can't see SFDK removing an animal exhibit for a food court. It's not impossible, just not likely in my eyes.

That could work, but I just can't see SFDK removing an animal exhibit for a food court. It's not impossible, just not likely in my eyes.

I meant a food court and a ride. One is needed over there though. The park is WAY too large for only 1 food court that only sells Panda Express, 3 chicken strips, 2 ice cream, 2 pizzas, and a burrito place. A little more variety would be nice.

I think the park has a bit more food than that. Looking at the map, most places are snacks, but You did leave out the 2 Johnny Rockets that serve burgers. Then there are Fish and Chips, hot dogs, corn dogs, Pulled Pork and tri-tip sandwiches, ect.

I think they actually have a decent selection of junk food!

I think the park has a bit more food than that. Looking at the map, most places are snacks, but You did leave out the 2 Johnny Rockets that serve burgers. Then there are Fish and Chips, hot dogs, corn dogs, Pulled Pork and tri-tip sandwiches, ect.

The Johnny Rocket's are literally 10 ft from each other. On the Sea side of the park all there is a drink stand (beer, slurpees, soda, pretzels, and churros) and a small building with chicken tenders and fries. I think they also recently added a meatball sandwich to the small building though.

Edit: Here's my idea for Six Flags. A drop tower, food court, new family coaster, and new indoor penguin exhibit.

The Johnny Rocket's are literally 10 ft from each other. On the Sea side of the park all there is a drink stand (beer, slurpees, soda, pretzels, and churros) and a small building with chicken tenders and fries. I think they also recently added a meatball sandwich to the small building though.

Edit: Here's my idea for Six Flags. A drop tower, food court, new family coaster, and new indoor penguin exhibit.

-___-'

Why would they take out high capacity infrastructure for something like that? SFDK has plenty of food options, and considering the size of the park it's fine that they're mainly in one location.

They're not going to take out the Sea Lion Stadium for a Penguin exhibit, coaster and drop tower. Plus, the cost of all of those would be quoie tremendous.