TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

(warning hi-jacked message about a trip to SFDK on 10/10/2010)

Today I went to SFDK and it was pretty filled. I only went on two rides. Medusa 4 times 2 in middle rows, 2 in the back row.) and twice on Roar once in front and once in the back.. the back is far better on Roar.

I asked a regular park employee about the Sky Screamer and where they plan on placing it but he told me that they haven't told any employees where it's going to be. So I told him I guess it's where the pay for attraction ( Sky coaster) is or cobra to which he didn't reply anything to.

Anyways the parked was very much packed but the wait for mudusa was pretty short since they had two trains going and the staff was going fast. As usual at SFDK and I guess other parks the reason for coasters being held up at all really is women trying to take on pursues or people with backpacks. Also Roar was operating with only ONE train so it's line was long and painfully slow. Enough to make you consider paying 30 dollars for a flashpass.

Thankfully I didn't splurge on a flash pass since I don't care for V2 all that much without a friend to ride with and tony hawk to me is okay.. but the line just moves way to slow even with 3-4 cars on the track.I also don't care for boomerang since it has a track record for breaking down anything I am at the park and i'm not taking the chances of being on it when that happens. Plus White Water Safari was drained of water which sucked since it was around 85 degrees perhaps more due to heat reflecting off the blacktop.

Once it rolled to around 4-5 pm the windy finally picked up and once the sun set it cooled down rather quickly. So at first in the early afternoon the park was bad due to population inside the park. But after a while I knew what area's to go to and when. Either way, I can't wait till they are opened on weekdays again.

weekends at theme parks.. ugh. (Edit, SFDK could really benefit from a single rider line on boomerang, roar and tony hawk and perhaps the water rides.)

Edited by Fire2box

I understand the need for attractions families can enjoy together, but throw us thrill seekers a bone here..

Great America is becoming a history museum, and Discovery Kingdom is not quite there yet, but looking a little dated. At the Boardwalk, we haven't gotten a real spectacular thrill ride since Fireball (installed in 2003, I believe). I refuse to call Double Shot a thrill ride, it's more of a high-speed observation tower. Even look at our water park, Raging Waters: they get a new slide on average of about one every five years. It's got to be the most out-dated water park I've ever seen!

Heck yeah! I know what park I'm hitting up next time I to go Cali. These things look terrifying. =D

If this kiddie star flyer is terrifying, than you have to visit Vienna, Austria.

The Prater Park has a 300ft high starflyer, which is the worlds highest yet.

OHH. I thought this was the 300ft one. Oh well. o:

I think either Santa Cruz, SF Discovery Kingdom, or Great America could use one these two rides:

S&S Jr. Suspended Coaster

S&S El Lco

The Jr. Suspended would most likely be somewhere between 36-42" as a height requirement, yet has a layout that is not too boring, and that kids and adults alike would enjoy.

El Loco has a height requirement of 48" (I think) and is a great ride to introduce younger kids to bigger rides, yet delivers such an action packed ride, it leaves you wanting more!

Heres a video of the Jr. Suspended as an Animation:

^ An S&S Jr. Suspended Coaster looks like a great fit for any Bay Area park. I like the idea of 4-across seating, but only if there is a grouper helping to fill all the seats.

An El Loco would be a *perfect fit* as a Hurricane replacement, at the Boardwalk. Possibly the most thrilling roller coaster I can think of taking up the smallest footprint.

Personally, I'd like to see an El Loco come our way. Those things look crazy fun!

I don't understand the overall lack of attention to the bay area parks lately either. Given that they are in a lively area you would think something would be done to freshen things up for us. Seems that since 2002/3 is when the trend of adding major stuff to parks died off. Lets not get started on the water parks... Zonga was the last "major" coaster for DK and Stealth for GA. Yea I know DK got Tony Hawk and GA has their mouse. Since its been emphasis on families. Atlases it's keeping out the rowdy teen and ghetto crowds.

I like the Jr. suspended, throw a couple of inversions in there and you have a winner.

But, if the boardwalk put in one of these...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5TDkANxFn4

...it would be a lot more thrilling, I think, and would fit the boardwalk.

There was a rumor that they were going to replace Hurricane with a suspended coaster, the only one I can think of that would perfectly fit is the Jr. suspended.

• 2 weeks later...

Why Six Flags? Why remove a family favorite kiddie credit?

Crossing my fingers that Cobra will be moved to another park and not be scrapped.

I Know! I'll start: http://www.savethecobrarollercoaster.org

I'm still sad to see it go...I really think they should have considered replacing Thrilla Gorilla and/or Monkey Business with Sky Screamer...then you could have had a great view of all the animals.

It's one thing for SFMM to be heading away from the family direction, but SFDK was sooo amazing and so geared to families it just seems so odd for them to take out a family ride to put in this!?!? I know they have weird height requirements but is there really no other place in the park they could have put this?

...I know they have weird height requirements but is there really no other place in the park they could have put this?

I don't think it's a matter of where they COULD have put it but more a matter of where THEY WANTED to put it.

I agree with you, I think there are at least 2 or 3 other spots that may have been better suited for this, one of which is near the back of the park so you could get an amazing view of the lake, or maybe somewhere in the area where Voodoo is and putting it in these spots, which lie a little lower than the location it's going in, could have meant a slightly taller ride. Whenever I've been to the park there has always been a line for Cobra, it seems like a family-popular ride, kind of stumped as to why they would get rid of it for this ride.

So Cobra is just going away or is it being moved to another location in the park, or another park?

...I know they have weird height requirements but is there really no other place in the park they could have put this?

I don't think it's a matter of where they COULD have put it but more a matter of where THEY WANTED to put it.

I agree with you, I think there are at least 2 or 3 other spots that may have been better suited for this, one of which is near the back of the park so you could get an amazing view of the lake, or maybe somewhere in the area where Voodoo is and putting it in these spots, which lie a little lower than the location it's going in, could have meant a slightly taller ride. Whenever I've been to the park there has always been a line for Cobra, it seems like a family-popular ride, kind of stumped as to why they would get rid of it for this ride.

So Cobra is just going away or is it being moved to another location in the park, or another park?

Actually, I truly think it is an issue about where they COULD have put it. If I'm correct, I heard that the height limit of 150 ft only applies to the front part of the park, and that's why all of the biggest rides are up there. I think the height limit gradually decreases the closer you get to the lake, so, while it would be a fun setting, the back of the park would not be ideal for this kind of ride.

Why they have to remove Cobra, I don't know because there is probably some other place that could have worked.

You know, I don't think Cobra's going anywhere. I could be 100% wrong but judging from the video, it looks much further back than where Cobra sits. V2 appears to sit much further back and looks like it's lined right up with Kong's half loop inversion and brake run.

Not to change the topic, but that paint job is hideous. Why'd they have to make it into colored sections like that? I liked the blue and red from the promo photo better :/

Yea, the colors are a little funky. Part of it looks like it would blend in with Kong, part of it reminds me of McDonalds, and part of it is...yea...fail. The purple seems out of place. I wonder if this thing's going to be lit up all pretty at night.

starflyerplace.jpg.9c248cb880071b157c8dd706d23711cf.jpg

sf2.jpg.91e12b7f55b37895c202731931828474.jpg