TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

There's a lot of foot traffic there, as well as an employee to direct and stop traffic when the tram is moving from the loading zone into the behind-barriers service road.

It isn't an ideal road alignment.

That's for sure - the road wasn't really designed for what they're using it for, but for the most part (99.99% of the time) it seemed to do. Entering or exiting the park during peak hours it's an absolute bottleneck if you decide to walk the .5 mi.

Ideally, the park would be better off with a monorail opening up the area to transport guests more efficiently, but "ideal" is sometimes one of those "Pie in the sky" propositions.

• 2 months later...

skyscreamer_0.jpg

http://www.sixflags.com/discoveryKingdom/rides/SkyScreamer.aspx

SkyScreamer comes to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in 2011.

This new swing ride will take you up, up and away high over the park, with your feet dangling and hair blowing.

Towering at 150 feet above the ground, SkyScreamer will be as high as the park's tallest roller coaster, Medusa. Grab a friend and sit two across in an open air swing as you climb to the top of SkyScreamer tower while spinning round and round. At full swing, you'll soar in a 98-foot circle at speeds over

43 mph. By day, you'll have a bird's eye view of Shouka the killer whale in her pool or the tigers lounging in their exhibit. By night, SkyScreamer will light up the night as its lighted arms whirl high above the park.

SkyScreamer will open in Spring 2011.

Height Restrictions - min. 48"

Height -150 feet

Speed - Over 43 mph

Swing Distance - 98 feet

Manufacturer - Funtime

Introduction - Spring 2011

skyscreamer2.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Great News for SFDK, the only problem is the hight restriction of 150ft in the park.

That means this one in SFDK is 86 feet lower than the one Six Flags St. Louis will have (236ft)

And do you all know we have a battle between SF and CF

Six Flags is buying the original Fun Time Star Flyers and Cedar Point buys the Mondial Windseekers.

Edited by coastered

ANOTHER ONE!? Wow this is TRUELY the year of starflyers! Looks like a great addition

Oh yes, I do not mind having these things around. It may be a small one but I can see it fitting in with everything else.

^Same here. If only I could make it to BAB next year...

I agree that this is a great addition! It goes without saying it will fit the Sky part of the park very well.

I'm glad SFDK is finally taking advantage of the height they have to work with. I actually think this 'mini-Star Flyer' is a great idea because it's a bit shorter than the average Star Flyer, and might not be as much of an adrenaline rush. Not good for enthusiasts or thrillseekers, but it'll definitely attract more people who aren't quite ready to tackle a full-height Star Flyer.

From the sounds of the description the ride will be somewhere near Boomerang/Tazmanian Devil. Wonder if they are taking something out, maybe the Sky Coaster?

Take that description losely, It won't be anywhere near Shouka and even farther from the Tigers. Skycoaster is staying but sadly another ride is on it's way out to make room and it's not one that, in my opinion, should be leaving.

From the sounds of the description the ride will be somewhere near Boomerang/Tazmanian Devil. Wonder if they are taking something out, maybe the Sky Coaster?

Take that description losely, It won't be anywhere near Shouka and even farther from the Tigers. Skycoaster is staying but sadly another ride is on it's way out to make room and it's not one that, in my opinion, should be leaving.

Doesn't it have to be towards the front of the park because I thought that the height restriction decreases the further back you get in the park (the closer you get to the lake). Is it replacing the Go-Karts? Cause those need to go.

Anyway, this is a wonderful addition to SFDK. I'm pretty sure they haven't gotten a flat ride since Six Flags took over and added all of the original flats.

You guys keep thinking upcharge rides. Those make the park money, they are there to stay. I can't say which is going, because I'm sure that as I post their Ops managment is reading this(Hi Charles) and I'd prefer not to ruffle feathers, but it's a long standing family favorite that is sure to upset a lot of families and credit whores alike.

^^So you are saying that they are tearing out Cobra then? Whatever they decide to take out, I think Sky Screamer (That name still gives me flashbacks to MGM Grand Adventures) is going to be a great addition to the park!! I am so excited about all of these swing rides coming next year!!!

Great news, hopefully this signals that Six Flags will be installing these at parks around the country soon. Even though it sounds like one of the shorter ones, spinning at 150ft above the ground connected by those simple chains will still be a thrill, and it should still be a great ride.

I plan on going to SFDK this Saturday, so maybe guest relations knows what area of the park this is going to. But by the description I am guessing Sky coaster, Voodoo or Cobra.

Sky coaster is pretty much right between shouka's orca stadium and Odin's tiger temple. Being up that high I think could give you a good look at their areas from a top down perspective.. voodoo's location could work too, but that ride is actual decent for such a short wait.

Now the question is.. what are they going to do about the 3D/motion seat theater that's been closed and how can they make Kong smoother so you don't walk off with a headache or possibly bleeding ears?

(also, SFDK official topic please? This is the 3rd topic about SFDK in about 4 months right?)

I will be sad if they removed Cobra...It was the first ride that I ever took a video camera on and got a POV...so many memories of that ride...it is a classic.

I know! Build an iSpeed-esque Intamin and call it Cobra's Revenge! Yeah like that would happen.

But you can't deny that would make the park's skyline pop; Though a starflyer will have an impact on the skyline as well.