TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Seeing as SFDK doesn't have a dark ride and, according to Sally's web site they offer non-ride products such as anamatronics I'd be willing to bet they provided something other than a dark ride to SFDK.

What that is I don't know...haven't been since Roar opened. Animatronic walrus, maybe? lol

Yeah, but i honestly don't think they have any animatronics there, unless they just don't work. Either that or I've never seen then work. Haha

Seeming how to me, it's mainly an animal park, I just don't see why they'd have animatronic animals there when they could have live animals?

The only anamatronics I can remember being at SFDK were used for their Dinosaurs! attraction back in the 90s. It was located where the motion theater is now. I have some old pictures I can dig up and scan a bit later this evening. You can see a 2003 photo of the T-Rex below, that was held over for the parks Iwerks Theater.

As I can recall, you could see the original giant T-Rex from the top of the hill on westbound I-80 as you dropped down into Vallejo.

Hope that helps a bit.

Edit... As much as I hate using Wikipedia as a source of info to prove anything, check this out:

The city then hired Premier Parks (now known as Six Flags Inc.) to manage the park, upgrade it, and improve its attendance. Premier added some non-animal attractions, particularly amusement rides, to increase attendance. In 1997, the park added two major ride attractions, "Popeye's Seaport" and "DinoSphere". Popeye's Seaport offered eleven children's attractions, including an interactive foam ball play structure and an interactive water play area. DinoSphere took the place of the park's Australian Walk-A-Bout attraction (also the former home of the "DINOSAURS!" attraction). DinoSphere was an Iwerks Turbo Theater, capable of seating 100 riders per showing. The theater played the Iwerks film called "Dino Island" for its first season of operation (the theater has since changed films numerous times).

-Sean

DSC01921.jpg.2ef9580556ea97191029bcf00088a27a.jpg

The last Dino before he was removed in 2005 or 2006. (Not sure about the year.) It was shot with a old Sony Cybershot so please excuse the quality.

It's about time to get rid of this. It has been remodeled numerous times, and delivered a less-than-mediocre experience. The ride is your typical 4D theater with moving seats in front of a large screen. The jungle/dinosaur theming is still there today, but when they rethemed it, they just got rid of the dinosaurs. My first ride on it was in 2002 (I believe it was themed to Stargate at the time) and my seat was broken - meaning it did not move when it was supposed to. I waited over an hour for that and to this day it is the single worst waste of time in line for a ride. Heck, even bad coasters at least count as a credit. The last this operated was during Holiday in the Park in 2007 themed to a very cheesy story about Santa and his sleigh. The entrance was blocked off all of last year, and did not hold another holiday themed show last season.

Looking over the wooden fence that blocked off the entrance last summer.

Who knows, maybe they're adding some animatronics to the rapids ride.

I mean, it IS supposed to be based on a jungle safari kinda thing, and there's three freaking animals in it right now. One is a crappy ceramic looking tiger, the others are random gargoyles that are just put there for some reason.

Seriously, it would fit. That ride could use some renovation.

• 5 months later...

VI actually work at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

I can tell you that I do miss the cheeesy dinosaur ride with all the fake dinosaurs but it was a good kind of cheesy. Right now the theatre is currently nonfunctioning but we use it as storage for work uniforms and also the exit area is where the costume characters up by shouka stadium get dressed and undressed. The gates that block everyone out assure that little kids wont run back there and see Bugs Bunny without a head on. But I have lately beeen hearing roumers that they will open the ride back up to a 5D theatre. I have some pictures of the theatre

If anybody has any old pics of this ride please post them cause I miss it!

^I'm sorry, but shooting and animals just doesnt scream family friendly to me.

"Now little jimmy can bag himself a zebra without even having to leave the state!"

LOL, you've never been to Oklahoma I take it. I'm actually surprised none of the midwest parks have such an attraction.

A safari ride-through would work out well for them though.

Ever since I went to IOA and rode Spiderman I've always said that kind of a ride would be perfect for SFDK. I mean you could be in a car being chased by the animals. There could be fire/water effects and all that too! Awesome idea to me.

Back on topic though......I'm thinking since it says Six Flags Marine World Africa it doesn't have anything to do with the current SFDK.

• 10 months later...
VALLEJO — Three people were injured in a tram accident outside of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Saturday night.

A 34-year-old man suffered a protruding injury to his left leg while a two-year-old girl had a laceration to her stomach, said Bill Tweety, a spokesman with Vallejo Fire.

The third victim, an adult woman, only suffered minor injuries.

Around 9:30 p.m. a tram transporting park guests to the parking lot was hit by a swinging metal gate when a guest inadvertently pushed against it, said Nancy Chan, a Six Flags spokeswoman.

The man was airlifted to UC Davis Medical Center while the child was airlifted to Kaiser in Vallejo and later taken to Children's Hospital in Oakland.

Both are believed to be in serious condition, Tweety said.

The Six Flags theme park was open, including the trams, on Sunday.

Link

My heart goes out to the people that were injured and I hope they make a full recovery. I just don't understand a few things... What kind of swinging metal gate would be that close to tram, and how does "Inadvertently pushing against it" cause this much damage? I'm thinking the guest wasn't "Inadvertently pushing against it"...

^not only that but how is it that a guest was "allowed" to open this gate in the first place? I wonder exactly where this gate was? All I can find on the local news here is exactly what was posted, just about every station has exactly the same story....although some say someone and others say it was a guest that pushed this gate. Curious, how does a metal gate pushed by someone, hitting a tram, cause a "protruding injury" to someone? It couldn't have been moving that fast- did they throw it at the tram or something?

Here is a link to local news video....

cbs5.com/video/?id=67039@kpix.dayport.com

My guess would be that it was one of those roadway gates (like the one below) that are about 8' across and block vehicle access to a particular roadway. One of these could have easily been positioned such that it intersected with the path of a moving tram, but I'm surprised OSHA wouldn't have had some sort of requirement to have a lock for the gate in either the closed and/or the open position to prevent this possibility.

After watching that video and seeing that kind of tram, I'm even more confused. How hard would this gate have to be pushed to cause serious injuries? This is incredibly baffling and no news station has any more information...

I was just at this park a week or two ago. It seems likely the gate was one that blocks entrance to the tram service road where it meets the main parking area. Does anyone know?

There's a lot of foot traffic there, as well as an employee to direct and stop traffic when the tram is moving from the loading zone into the behind-barriers service road.

It isn't an ideal road alignment.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is my home six flags park. The place is great asides the parking lot is really half a mile freaking away from the main gate, at least 4 times longer then the parking lots at Magic Mountain and the pricing is insane. Plus since they are pretty much half animal park you don't get straws or lids for fountain sodas.

But seriously, I could never imagine people getting this hurt from the transportation tram.

oh also.. every time I been there in 2010, the trams take forever just to pick up new people to take to the park.. like a whole 8-15 mins. Edit: I'll take a picture of the gate I think it was next time, I'll even see if they locked it now, I always thought they did.. but I guess they want to save money as much as they possibly can.