TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

SFDK does NOT have an animal theme! This is the exact thing that they wanted to change with the new name. They wanted it to include a bunch of different themes. Land, Sea, and Sky. Land and Sea can be about animals, but this ride, I think, goes very well with the Sky theme. The Sky theme is not supposed to be about birds. If you look at their logos, you can see the land, sea, and sky represented by Whales, elephants, and a roller coaster.

I think its going to be a GREAT addition since SFDK lost Zonga, but SFDK keeps getting the different variations like V2 for instance they had to modify it because of the height limits. Doesn't SFDK have the best Medusa?

Considering there are 3 Medusas, one is a woodie in Mexico, and one was the prototype of the floorless concept, I'd say SFDK does have the best Medusa.

If you meant floorless, I couldn't say because I've only ridden 2.

As far as the current themes go for their current coasters, Medusa does somewhat have an animal relationship as Medusa has snakes. Last time I knew, snakes were considered animals. Kong, though there's no animal called a 'Kong' maybe it's a reference to something like King Kong/Donkey Kong...ok, maybe not Donkey Kong but you get the idea: Gorillas. I just wish that it had a more of an original theme, or theme it to Taz (Yea, there's a ride called Tasmanian Devil already but Taz is almost non existent.) And Taz would be a great icon/great family theme.

^ I agree with everyone that a better name/theme would have worked for SFDK. But considering this will most likely turn out to be the only new rails on the West Coast for 08, happy we're getting a new coaster period. At least with the simplistic theming, can be easily removed/rethemed for when TH becomes redundant.

Incase no one noticed, a unique feature will be the entry walkway and parking lot tram both running underneath and inbetween the ramp section/far turnaround. After years and years of walking/riding to the entrance past a SBNO Zonga, then a giant flat barren slab of concrete since it's removal, this will make a very cool kinetic feature to the new entry area of SFDK!

After closer inspection, you might be right. I'm used to parks using V.I.P. for their rendering, Keith nails em every time! He always places them exactly as they will be in the park, may not be the case with whatever ghetto rendering co. they used for this one.

I was going by it's location to Medusa, but then in another shot, it shows the station outside the park, which nulifies any actual placement reference. Oh well, would be cool but yeah, not so sure now.

After closer inspection, you might be right. I'm used to parks using V.I.P. for their rendering, Keith nails em every time! He always places them exactly as they will be in the park, may not be the case with whatever ghetto rendering co. they used for this one.

I was going by it's location to Medusa, but then in another shot, it shows the station outside the park, which nulifies any actual placement reference. Oh well, would be cool but yeah, not so sure now.

Uh, I am pretty sure Keith and VIP did this animation. The previous two had animations by him, and this one looks almost exactly like those ones.

That's a rough rendering of how THBS will be placed in Zonga's old footprint. Take the footage as promotional material value (placement only folks,) and not an exact blueprint of how things will look on opening day next year. It will be really nice to see that space in the front of the park be used for something other then storage or premium parking again.

Anyways, great to see this rumor FINALLY came true. It should be fun documenting this thing being constructed this winter.

-Sean

• 1 year later...

The original post I made seems to have disappeared in all the chaos with the boards the last 2 days so here it is again.

Nice to see the park improving it's animal offerings too.

October 30, 2008

SIX FLAGS DISCOVERY KINGDOM ANNOUNCES ALL NEW ENTERTAINMENT SHOWCASE STARRING ODIN, THE WORLD FAMOUS WHITE BENGAL TIGER

EXPANDED EXHIBIT AND SHOW TO DEBUT IN 2009

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom today unveiled plans to create Odin's Temple of the Tiger — an exciting new exhibit that will showcase the park's 11 tigers including Odin, the internationally-acclaimed white Bengal tiger and two recently acquired tiger cubs. The attraction is scheduled to open in spring 2009 in the park's LAND area.

Odin's Temple of the Tiger will be housed in the former Jungle Theater, redesigned to create a more expansive area for the cats with improved arena seating to enhance guest observation. The focal point of the stage will be a pool with an underwater viewing window offering a unique platform to observe the tigers submerged in water.

Guests will have several opportunities throughout the day to visit Odin's Temple of the Tiger and experience the strength and beauty of these animals up close. Multiple shows will take place each day and during off-show hours the theater will serve as an outdoor exhibit for all the park's tigers. This exciting new attraction will demonstrate tigers' natural behaviors and highlight their affinity for water and agility on land.

"Tigers are among the most powerful and iconic animals on earth," said

Eric Gilbert, Park President. "Like many of our attractions, Odin's Temple of the Tiger designed to create a unique opportunity for our guests to experience these amazing animals in a controlled environment. We strive to create animal-human encounters unlike any other."

The attraction will be focused around the park's white Bengal tiger, Odin who exploded onto the national and international scene last year with the publication of photos of him — diving underwater for chunks of red meat — in a UK newspaper. Those images were soon followed by coverage from the Associated Press, Getty News Images, News Ltd., Sports Illustrated and In Touch Magazine.

"Odin became a phenomenon last year and Odin's Temple of the Tiger is a natural extension of what is clearly becoming the Odin Brand," said Gilbert. "We're excited to have this unique platform to discuss the importance of tiger conservation and to have in our care a wonderful ambassador to help spread the message."

The park has also recently acquired two young tiger cubs, a white Bengal male and a female Bengal tiger that are currently being hand raised. The pair will be introduced to the public in the coming months and will part of the Odin's Temple of the Tiger experience next year. Guests will also be able to view the animals relaxing or playing in an all new grassy playground yard. This second off-exhibit exercise area will allow staff to rotate tigers from their individual backstage enclosures throughout each day.

Odin's Temple of the Tiger is scheduled to open at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in spring 2009. Visit www.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom for construction updates and to view upcoming photos of the newest tiger cubs. Also visit the web to purchase 2009 Season Passes which are available for a limited time for just $49.99. Find the Best in Land, Sea and Sky at Vallejo's 135-acre wildlife and theme park, located at the intersection of Hwy. 80 and Hwy. 37.

About Six Flags, Inc.

Six Flags, Inc. is the world's largest regional theme park company with 20 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. Founded in 1961, Six Flags has provided world class entertainment for millions of families with cutting-edge, record-shattering roller coasters and appointment programming and special events such as the weekly Summer Concert Series, Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park. Now 47 years strong, Six Flags is recognized as the preeminent thrill innovator while reaching to all demographics — families, teens, 'tweens and thrill seekers alike — with themed attractions based on the Looney Tunes characters, the Justice League of America, skateboarding legend Tony Hawk, The Wiggles and Thomas the Tank Engine. Six Flags, Inc. is a publicly-traded corporation (NYSE:SIX) headquartered in New York City

Sounds a little like the one at SF Great Adventure. Should be a nice addition to the park and hopefully I'll get to see it next summer.

I believe it's going to be a lot like the SFGAdv one. I've watched a video of theirs though and I'm not a fan of how they make the tigers swim, they actually trick them into it by having them chase a stuffed animal on a stick into it. Odin and Fedor at SFDK jump in willingly to get some meat thats thrown in. The difference is the SFDK tigers don't care that they are in the water and the SFGAdv tigers act like they don't like it and rush to get out. Either way, the SFGAdv show looks pretty cool so I hope SFDK's turns out just as nice.

^ That is exactly the same concept... Being tricked by meat or a stuffed animal is still being tricked, and all throughout the show the tigers are performing tricks that they were trained to do by force, not willingly.

If it is as similar as it sounds to the GADV show, it will be quite an entertaining show to watch and be popular with guests for years to come. I like the way that SFDK is now being run and the addition of this show is a very good move on Six Flags' part.

-Jon

^ I don't know how to explain it, and i really don't want to or intend to start a fight. SFDK's cats just genuinely seem to enjoy the water. Odin actually began swimming on his own I believe and the meat is only something to entice him to do it at that time, ya know? And Fedor does it now cause he watched Odin do it. I just got the vibe from the SFGAdv video I watched that the cats didn't want to go in and they were anoyyed once they were in.

• 3 months later...