TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

i didn't know SFMW is gonna change its name into Six Flags Discovery

Kingdom. they mighta stolen the name of Kentucky Kingdom and it

looks not cool for me. but this is sort of my thought. what do you think?

i prefer the former name of 'Six Flags Marine World' to SFDK.

This park has changed a lot in the last ten years. compared to my lfirst visit, the park (well mainly the front of it) is barely recognisable.

I almost prefer the old Marine World, when it was Marine World Africa USA and it was just an animal park. It had much more atmosphere to it before Six Flags went on a carpark coaster spree.

But anyway, the new name.

I quite like it. I don't see the need for the name change and I'd prefer for the name to be kept as Marine World, but it's one of the better park names that Six flags have come up with and it fits in with the current African theming.

The idea of retheming worries me though. I'm hoping that Six Flags won't try to phase out what's already there and replace it with generic theming. I'm particuarly worried about the Sky themed area because it might just be an excuse to build a load of unthemed coasters out the front as they keep doing

I'm sure Shapiro sees the potential in this park, maybe he's trying to unlock it.

Now hopefully they'll replace that god awful stargate film! I remember when that thing had a similar story to countdown to extinction at WDW (though it came before that ride's time. )

Sea, sky, and land?

THIS ISN'T JAPAN, PEOPLE.

No Kidding.

Shapiro better have something good up his sleeve, because the past couple of seasons additions have been crappy. I hope this year they prove everyone wrong, but im not counting on it. By the looks of V2's new colors, and "Sea, Sky and Land" its not looking too good yet.

I may be wrong though. lets all keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Okay, but why Marine World/Discovery Kingdom? Why not Over Texas? Why not Over Georgia?

Is there something special about SFDK that makes it more special than any other SFInc park?

My apologies for the double posts.

But i agree with you 100%. Just because this park has animals, doesnt make it any better then any other SF park. There are other parks that need a little bit of help too.

This park has something special about it, although I cant put my finger on it....

But I have to say this is the ONLY Six Flags park that my family as a whole really enjoyed. The park has a great atmosphere and very good Roller Coasters. They have RUNNING flats and there are the animals. Its a great park (at least for Six Flags standards) and I am glad that Shapiro is taking intrest in it.

IMO there are lots of people in Northern California who end up spending their money going to Disneyland instead of Marine World. If they could make Marine World a nicer place and attract those families who are tired of Disneyland, then Six Flags could make more money from them. It sometimes gets tiring for me to endure a day's car ride to get to a park in Southern California to go to Disneyland. It could be so much better if Marine World could transform into a park that would prevent that annoying car drive. But this is Six Flags, so I don't think that will happen. Besides Great America, there is no competitor for Six Flags in the Northern California market.

Went by SFMWDK today on my way up to my aunts house and saw the newly painted V2. Actually, it looks a whole lot better in person than by photo, especially from the angle I saw it from (view from hwy 80). The supports and track was real vibrant, but King kinda now blends in with V2 as the track color's nearly the same.

^ I agree..it looks good in person. Even though the colors definately do stand out, i think it was a mistake for them to have another red coaster..they dont have very many coasters so they should have painted the track a different color, or just leave it yellow because the dark pink supports look good with yellow. But it kinda gives the park a new look, which is something good and fresh.

Went by SFMWDK today on my way up to my aunts house and saw the newly painted V2. Actually, it looks a whole lot better in person than by photo, especially from the angle I saw it from (view from hwy 80). The supports and track was real vibrant, but King kinda now blends in with V2 as the track color's nearly the same.

Yea and if they're too dumb enough to not re-paint Kong in the next couple of years....In 2-3 years V2's track will look the same as Kong

From Screamscape:

The big announcement this week about the upcoming name change to the park may also reveal plans to add a Thomas themed area to the park.

OH...MY...GOD! Thats insane....They already have 2 kiddie areas!!! Im so mad. They are milking this "Family Oriented" idea way too much.

Aren't a few other Six Flags parks going to get this as well by 2008?

In addition to the name change, they [six Flags, Inc.] are said to be announcing that the park will be divided into three themed lands: Sky, Sea and Land.

Don't know about you, but I still can't help but laugh a bit when I see Six Flags and theming in the same sentence. But who knows, the "Golden Kingdom," or whatever it is at GADV, actually wasn't *too* bad as judged on the Six Flags theming curve. Ok, well all except for Jay Z thumpin' on the sound system while waiting for KK.

This park has something special about it, although I cant put my finger on it....

But I have to say this is the ONLY Six Flags park that my family as a whole really enjoyed. The park has a great atmosphere and very good Roller Coasters. They have RUNNING flats and there are the animals. Its a great park (at least for Six Flags standards) and I am glad that Shapiro is taking intrest in it.

SFMW gets allot of flack from enthusiasts because of their parking lot coasters, but you've hit the nail on the head there as to why this park is special! Shapiro was indeed impressed with SFMW on his visit with his family and probably wishes more of the chain had as much to offer families as SFMW does. More shows/animal attractions/exhibits (that can be enjoyed by the entire family together) than probably all the other SF parks combined. The park packs in the toddlers (along with dads fat wallet!) to the blue haired grannies all season long, the exact demographics he only wishes the rest of the chain could regularly attract.

The new name and theme reflect all the new experiences the park now has to offer, so the locals that haven't been recently realize it's not still just another Sea World wannabe.

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/fastsearchresults/ci_5000157

BTW, this is the 4th name for the park and the 3rd time they've had to change all the park signage since Premier/SF came into the picture! The new signage for Marine World Theme Park only lasted 1 season before having to all be changed over to SFMW!

From Screamscape:

The big announcement this week about the upcoming name change to the park may also reveal plans to add a Thomas themed area to the park.

OH...MY...GOD! Thats insane....They already have 2 kiddie areas!!! Im so mad. They are milking this "Family Oriented" idea way too much.

Why does everyone assume this will be a "new" area and not a re-themed section. With Six Flags current finances, re-themeing kids areas is the cheapest and most effective way of giving parks new attractions without breaking the bank. A couple of new kid rides, some fresh paint and some new scenery and any Looney Tunes/Bugs Bunny/generic kiddie themed area can become Wiggles World or Thomas the Tank Engine land. Those are far more marketable to families than the old sections they are updating.

^Yeah thats what i was going to say. Not only do they not have enough room for another kiddie area, but they arent stupid enough to make another kiddie area.

They would just re theme the looney tunes area i think.

But I think what Loco meant, was why would they waste time and money on re theming one of the kiddie areas, when they could be using their money on something they need? Like..another coaster. or another thrill ride. Or flat ride(s). And thats what im talking about them not making good decisions on their additions to the park. Was it absolutley necessary to add Tava's Jungleland last season?...they could have used that space and money to add some thrill rides and flat rides. They dont need to re theme the kiddie area...Its fine how it is. But we dont know whats happening for sure, until tomorrow.

My guess is they'll retheme Tava's Jungleland since there really wasn't much theming put into it in the first place (where's the jungle???). As mascots for the SF parks, they still need a Looney Tunes area for the kids. But Tava's generic ride packages could easily be rethemed to Thomas and Co., much more so than the themed rides in Looney Tunes Seaport.

From Screamscape:

Why does everyone assume this will be a "new" area and not a re-themed section. With Six Flags current finances, re-themeing kids areas is the cheapest and most effective way of giving parks new attractions without breaking the bank. A couple of new kid rides, some fresh paint and some new scenery and any Looney Tunes/Bugs Bunny/generic kiddie themed area can become Wiggles World or Thomas the Tank Engine land. Those are far more marketable to families than the old sections they are updating.

Well im mainly mad about the fact that SFMW is going to waste money to do this rather than to add a thrill ride or even a coaster. Yea i know its cheaper.....but i would much rather have that money go into a new thrill ride....Just like AT0527 said.