TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

That is one hideous coaster, if you ask me I don't quite understand the supports with the silver specks all around and random patches of maroon. It almost looks like they were going for a weathered or beaten-up effect but failed horribly and just made the thing look retarded. Oh well, it's Six Flags...be happy they at least painted it haha
The silver specks you talk about are almost certainly some sort of surface treatment like a primer meant to make the new paint adhere better to the tricky sections. Of course I could be wrong but the bolts are where I usually see the worst weathering of track so my guess is that they had to do some work on those before painting or the paint wouldn't take.

Look... everyone already knows the real reason it is being painted. Of course it is because they have extra paint from Mr. Freeze and want to use all of it up!!

But really, I dont think they are done painting the track part... and if they are going for a snake theme, they will make every section between a different support a different color.

I really hope that Six Flags decides to re-name the ride. I think it is smart to try and make simililar (some identical) rides at their many parks seem different.

Look closely at that picture. Do you see how horrible that paint looks? Its all spotty and you can see the blue through it! I think that this is either primer for the supports, or just the first coat. Theres no way they will leave it like that, not even them.

Quite honestly, who cares? And if you do care, then you really need to get your priorities straight. I mean, it's a roller coaster. A paint job will not chnage how it rides, and isn't that the whole point of loving a cosater?

I think we can all agree that a coaster does not need a 'snazzy' paint job to be great, ride quality is not affected by the track color, although some people may percieve it to make a difference between a good and bad ride. But you have to admit that when it has the right color/scheme combination that it LOOKS really cool. It could be totally horrible, all rusty and oxidized but if it's fun I won't let a stupid thing like that stop me from going on it.

I guess the off season is the time for a lot of pait jobs... and that means that many people will have an opinion one way or another.

In boards about paint color that I have seen, there are always many people who seem to complain about other people just plainly voicing an opinion. No one is saying that they will never ride it... they just may or may not agree with the rides new appearence... and there is no problem with that.

Most everything in this world is based on visual appeal... so why is it such a big deal when someone complains about a new color.

"Its just a stupid color... stop complaining"

That is what many people say just because they do not care. But to those people, lets say that the house that is next to you, or your own house for that matter, went from a nice red brick to purple wood. You would complain and if it was your house, you would probably be disgusted with it and wonder hoe houses change what they are made of and color overnight.

All I ask is that people stop coming on these threads and making complaints about... well... complaining. That, in my opinion, is much stupider that a complaint about color, which is reasonable in may ways.

Thanks...

- Andrew

(I didn't try to offend anyone on here... so... yeah!)

^^ I agree, I mean, this is a coaster forum, there's going to be a discussion over the color of a coaster, just like there's probably discussions about colors of cars over at car sites. It's not a bad thing.

As for the color, I think it's cool, the yellow was cool, but this fits in with the theme of the park more, IMO. I think the selling point for me will be if they rename the ride or not.

Quite honestly, who cares? And if you do care, then you really need to get your priorities straight. I mean, it's a roller coaster. A paint job will not chnage how it rides, and isn't that the whole point of loving a cosater?

Aesthetics mean a lot...of course it doesn't change the ride experience, but a ride's color scheme gives it character, some soul. I've never been to Marine World, or whatever it is officially referred to at the moment, so I really don't know how this color combo fits into the surrounding area, but from an outsider's viewpoint, it is one ugly coaster

My mistake, I thought I read somewhere that they were "finished." You have to admit, you can't put it past Six Flags to do such a terrible paintjob

No matter how terrible Six Flags' operations may be, I've never seen a coaster with a paint job that bad.

I'd also like to add that I actually like the colours - a lot. I think it'd be nicer if the track was black though.

And for all the people complaining that they don't care about a paint job, well why paint coasters then? Most people do "judge a book by it's cover," and a coasters paint job should be aesthetically pleasing. I will tell you right now, if I saw a coaster with shredded paint everywhere, the first thing that'd pop into my head would be "bad maintainence." Why make buildings nice looking if they work? Why wear nice clothes if bland grey fleece sweaters work?

I wonder if the new paint scheme has anything to do with that or the name change of the park?

Pretty much what I'm thinking. The gate won't be moving this year either, but it has been a long standing rumor.

V2 was never red. The ads used for SFMW used Superman: Ultimate Escape for pictures as the coaster was still under erection. (Yes, I said Erection!)

Yup, the official Marine World site updated it's ride photos last season to be a bit more accurate to the park's line up. The updated (Yellow & Green) V2 shots are rather nice if you ask me.

Sean

^ I have to agree. This ride will stick out like a sore thumb. I have been to Marine World and I drastically prefer the Yellow paint job to the red.

To those who think red fits better with the "Theme" I am wondering what theme you are reffering to?

V2 is in the front midway area. There is no real 'theme' per-say.

If that is not true then please tell me otherwise

As long as they don't change the one at Great America, I'm okay with it!

I remember seeing that one in the commercials before the 2006 season started... I was like "OMG! THEY'RE REPAINTING V2 RED!"