TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

We have a trip planned to Vallejo's Six flags and I hadn't thought about this until just now, will my husband be too large to ride on the rides?

He is a BIG man. He is about 400 lbs and has a waist of maybe 70"? Will the rides accomodate him?

I highly doubt someone with a 70" waist will fit on any rides at SFMW.

--Robb

We have a trip planned to Vallejo's Six flags and I hadn't thought about this until just now, will my husband be too large to ride on the rides?

He is a BIG man. He is about 400 lbs and has a waist of maybe 70"? Will the rides accomodate him?

I highly doubt someone with a 70" waist will fit on any rides at SFMW.

--Robb

I agree with Robb. Sorry

At 400 Pounds, I would say it probably isn't going to happen.

The GCII and Intamin rides aren't very accomodating at all, and when my brother was at 310-315 the B&M rides were just out of reach.

So she understands...

GCII = Roar

Intamin = Vertival Velocity

B&M = Medusa

He may be able to ride the "White water safari" river rapids ride and the "Monsoon Falls" splashing boat ride. I'd guess he could go in the "Stargate 3000" theatre deal, although he may have to sit in a stationary seat if the seat belt on one of the moving chairs isn't big enough. They also have a spinning "tea cup" ride that's got a Monkey theme to it. The door that opens up to get into the seating area isn't real wide, but he may fit.

Despite the fact that he'll definitely be very limited as to what he can ride, there will still be plenty for him to do and see at the park. There are several animal shows and walk-through animal exhibits. It's kind of like a zoo and a theme park put together. Have fun

Not to be unkind, but look at it this way: Your husband's waist is about twice as large as the average rider's. For any ride requiring restraints and/or lapbars, a seat big enough to accomodate him would be so large that many other riders, especially kids, would be rattling around dangerously.

However, as has already been stated, there's plenty of nonride stuff to do at SFMW. If he's at all interested in animals and sea life, he could easily spend an enjoyable day there without riding anything at all...

Thats too bad.

But I know how your husband feels, but for me, its the height issue. I am about 6' 3"-6' 4" and there are many credits that I will never get. Mainly kid rides and arrow loopers. Although, I could probably fit into and Arrow/Vekoma looper....It would be very uncomfortable. And the bad thing is, I am not aloud to ride the SROS ride(s) anymore.....If I grow any taller, there will be many big rides I will never ride.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question.

Other V2's have a holding brake on the rear spike that holds the train there a few seconds. SFMW's V2 has a holding brake there but it is not used. Does anybody know why? Going up that tower then stopping briefly at the top sounds like it would be pretty cool. Was it used before the height was modified? Are they not able to use it due to the modified version of this ride or is it because they just don't use it?

It seems to me that there really is no reason they couldn't do that, but maybe someone else knows for sure.

this is height restriction related, I heard Geauga Lake and Michigan Adventure both have county imposed height restrictions on them. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, you'd think Cedar Fair might try to get that changed?
Yes, both parks have county height restrictions in place. Michigan's Adventure's is 200ft and I believe Geauga Lake's is like 150-175 feet.

• 1 month later...
I have a question.

Other V2's have a holding brake on the rear spike that holds the train there a few seconds. SFMW's V2 has a holding brake there but it is not used. Does anybody know why? Going up that tower then stopping briefly at the top sounds like it would be pretty cool. Was it used before the height was modified? Are they not able to use it due to the modified version of this ride or is it because they just don't use it?

It seems to me that there really is no reason they couldn't do that, but maybe someone else knows for sure.

It used to stop on the back spike, but doesn't anymore. I would think that it's because they had to take 30-some feet off of the track, so now when it goes on the back spike, the front couple of rows don't even go completely verticle. I'm personally glad it doesn't stop because when I rode Steel Venom and it stopped...well it hurt!

I guess this puts to rest any question as to whether SF will bail out of SFMW when the original contact expires next year:

Word Mark SIX FLAGS DISCOVERY KINGDOM

Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Entertainment in the nature of amusement parks, theme parks, wildlife parks and oceanariums; entertainment in the nature of live performances, namely live animal performances and theatrical performances

Standard Characters Claimed

Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK

Design Search Code

Serial Number 78938884

Filing Date July 27, 2006

Current Filing Basis 1B

Original Filing Basis 1B

Owner (APPLICANT) Six Flags Theme Parks, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 15th Floor 1540 Broadway New York NEW YORK 10036

Attorney of Record Charles P. LaPolla

Type of Mark SERVICE MARK

Register PRINCIPAL

Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=b5mf5t.8.1

Sounds kinda cool, yet it kinda reminds me of Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom and what used to be, Discovery Zone (Place like Chuck E Cheese's). I'll have to get used to SFDK instead of SFMW.

Discovery Zone totally OWNED Chuck E Cheese! Ahh, childhood memories...

Sounds kinda cool, yet it kinda reminds me of Six Flags Kentucky Kingdom and what used to be, Discovery Zone (Place like Chuck E Cheese's). I'll have to get used to SFDK instead of SFMW.

Discovery Zone totally OWNED Chuck E Cheese! Ahh, childhood memories...

Hell Yea it did!

Anyway, I like the new name, but i like Marine World alot better.