TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

It's been a while since I've surfed these boards, but I wonder if the park will go ahead with the project once they have a clearer picture about what their season is going to look like. SFDK has the benefit of being a year-round operated park so I wonder if we could see a non-standard ride opening (e.g. in winter or early spring) to help encourage people to start coming back to the park? Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part, but at this point, anything is possible.

Also, if any of you are interested in the animals, Captain Lee has been posting some really neat live videos on Facebook. I've seen some with the baby lions and the other day, he shared one from Alligator Isle with them feeding the gators and a GIANT snapping turtle. I always make a point to look at the gators but I don't think I've ever seen that turtle before. It's definitely been cool seeing some of the different views of the enclosures that you don't get as a regular guest.

my wife use to take care of the animals at SFDK before we moved to texas, but a fun fact, the same of the turtle is BAT...Big A** Turtle

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 1:06 AM, Canobie Coaster said:

One of the big questions I have is if the 15 rides includes some of the stuff that has been SBNO and removed from the website for years.  Aren't Voodoo and Mass Effect still standing dormant at Discovery Kingdom?

I haven't been to the park in a while but I also haven't seen those rides operate in a while. That theater was closed for a longggg time and I was shocked that it reopened at all. It would be a great location for a new attraction, but is it really that much of a maintenance nightmare or is the park just too lazy to update it to a more popular film?

We went in July of this year when the park just had the zoo portion open, and we noted that VooDoo was still standing there, and that there was still no visible progress on the spinning mouse.  Didn't really look at the theater area at all, not a real priority for me.

The theater was definitely not open in December, 2019 and I don't believe VooDoo was as well, so it makes sense that they wouldn't invest in either ride for 2020 when they weren't even able to make progress on their new-for-2020 ride. 

Also, I just noticed that SFDK is also doing a drive-through HitP experience. Is anyone planning on going to this? If so, maybe you can see if there has been any movement around the rides in question. 

Plus, make a TR because I'd love to see what their drive-through looks like! 

• 2 weeks later...

Walruses are back at SFDK!! 😍

SFDK_Walruses2-1376x1032.jpg

VALLEJO — Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has welcomed two walruses, Pakak and UqUq, to its collection animals in the park’s care.

Pakak (pronounced “puck-uck”), a male walrus, comes to the park from the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma, Washington. UqUq (pronounced “uk-uk”), a female walrus, returns to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom after finding a temporary home at SeaWorld San Diego.

“It is a true Christmas miracle to have UqUq home and Pakak join our family,” said Animal Care Director Dianne Cameron in a press release. “With only 14 walruses in the United States, we understand the privilege of being able to share these magnificent animals with our guests.”

Pakak was stranded and rescued at approximately a month old in 2012 by local fishermen after he was found tangled in some nets near Barrow, Alaska.

The walrus calf was cared for at the Indianapolis Zoo in Indianapolis, Indiana, after a few months of rehabilitation before moving to the Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in 2019 in order to be reunited with another young male walrus that was rescued around the same time.

Pakak’s continued maturation and growth presented the opportunity to bring the more than 1,700-pound walrus to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom to be paired with UqUq.

UqUq was orphaned as a calf in 1994 near Gambell, Alaska, when she was just a few months old. Soon after it was determined that she would not be able to survive on her own in the wild, she was brought to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom for long-term care.

UqUq made the trip to SeaWorld San Diego in 2018 to find companionship with three other walruses in their care. The arrival of Pakak allowed for the return of the more than 1,800-pound walrus to her original home at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom.

While both walruses are not currently viewable by guests because the park is presently open as a drive-thru experience, park staff are excited for visitors to once again be amazed and enthralled by their swift swimming abilities underwater in the near future, according to the press release.

The park is currently open nightly for the Holiday in the Park Drive-Thru Experience through Jan. 3, then Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, including Martin Luther King Jr. Day, through Jan. 31.

This makes me really happy. The walruses were some of my favorites and I was really sad when Uquq had to go away. Glad she's coming back and she has a new friend! I'm not sure what the verdict on walrus breeding is but it would be super cool if we got to see a baby in the future. 😁

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I love it, that the current Opening Day for a lot of parks is (unofficially) April Fools Day,

and the parks are making a big effort to let the public know, that this is not a prank, etc.

Just noticing. 😀

• 3 weeks later...

Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster has been removed from the rides page on Discovery Kingdom's website.  While it is possible this could be an error, the timing is suspicious since we know Six Flags is removing 15 rides and a similar thing has happened to other rides in the chain that are confirmed removals at this point.  Considering how much downtime this ride has and the awful reception it has, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go.  I honestly prefer when it's closed since the ride is deafeningly loud and awful.

If Six Flags is willing to cut bait with a new ride this quickly, Cyborg at Great Adventure better take notice.  🤣

Was hoping Harley would've been open when I went back in 2019, but it wasn't meant to be. Oh well.

Cyborg was apparently back up and running this last weekend, so I think it may be safe (for now, at least).

32 minutes ago, Canobie Coaster said:

Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster has been removed from the rides page on Discovery Kingdom's website.  While it is possible this could be an error, the timing is suspicious since we know Six Flags is removing 15 rides and a similar thing has happened to other rides in the chain that are confirmed removals at this point.  Considering how much downtime this ride has and the awful reception it has, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go.  I honestly prefer when it's closed since the ride is deafeningly loud and awful.

If Six Flags is willing to cut bait with a new ride this quickly, Cyborg at Great Adventure better take notice.  🤣

Yeah, I think Harley Quinn is gone.  I never got a chance to ride it myself, but from all accounts it was a VERY underwhelming ride.  Plus it had extensive downtime and I heard the noise was pretty much unbearable.  I don't think anyone will miss it.

So that's half of Skyline's operating Skywarp coasters possibly removed after just a couple of years. How does Sea World's version compare to this (experience and reliability)?

To be fair I think these would be decent filler rides if they used LSMs instead of their clunky tyre-drive system and used a nicer train design. But they don't, so they aren't.

6 hours ago, KarlaKoaster said:

So that's half of Skyline's operating Skywarp coasters possibly removed after just a couple of years. How does Sea World's version compare to this (experience and reliability)?

To be fair I think these would be decent filler rides if they used LSMs instead of their clunky tyre-drive system and used a nicer train design. But they don't, so they aren't.

For what it's worth, a friend of mine has been going to SeaWorld San Diego now and some photos they sent me showed some parts of the ride covered in cobwebs.

I've been on both Harley Quinn and Tidal Twister at Sea World.  Harley was a tad better than I expected, but it still definitely wasn't great (I did have an end seat).  Once was more than enough, and I certainly agree with all the criticisms of the ride.  Wouldn't miss it a bit if it were gone.

Tidal Twister, to me, was moderately enjoyable.  Depending on where you sit, there's actually a small pop of air.  It reminded me a bit of a Bayern Kurve, which I enjoy.  But it was slow and clunky, the train jogs a lot, and the load process took forever.

• Like 2

On 4/8/2021 at 9:15 AM, Canobie Coaster said:

Never rode it, and I had no intentions of ever doing so. I definitely have no regrets. This move (if it comes to pass) makes sense. My ultimate dream is for Kong to be removed and replaced with, well, any other roller coaster.

• Like 1

I went to SWSD in March 2020, just days before the shutdown, and I completely forgot Tidal Twister existed. It was closed of course. And Harley Quinn was closed during my July 2018 and 2019 visits to SFDK.

These Skyline "coasters" are really cool in concept, but man, it seems they have been executed quite poorly - both reliability and comfort (from what I've heard). They've got some other cool concept layouts from IAAPA that look interesting but I wonder if parks are eyeballing SFDK and SWSD and saying "yeah... no."

• 2 weeks later...