TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I plan on taking a trip to Discovery Kingdom next Friday for the first time. The park is open from 5-10 for Fright Fest I'm assuming. What is a good game plan once I get into the park? Also, I bought the all season maze pass at Magic Mountain, will it work for Discovery Kingdom? Is there any good hotels that are kinda halfway between CGA and SFDK for $100 or less? Any tips are greatly appreciated!

I live in Hayward which is almost in between both parks, though I'm a bit closer to Great America.

I would suggest looking at hotels in Emeryville, Oakland, Hayward, Union City, Newark, or Fremont.

As I listen the cities going left to right, you get closer to Great America. Six Flags requires you to cross a bridge so I recommend getting that out the way and staying in the cities I listed. Without traffic from my city I get to Six Flags at about 45mins-hour. Great America is only like 25-35 minutes, I drive a little fast though

Dublin is great too as Coasterbill stated but Dublin is about 15-60 minutes out the way East depending on traffic. Unfortunately, going that way can have the worse traffic in the area if you plan on hitting the parks on a weekday. That whole are is full of affordable homes so you have everyone driving towards San Fran & Oakland in the mornings for work, then it's just as bad when everyone heads back in the afternoons. You'll be fine on the weekends though it's just about 15-20 minutes out the way from N880 freeway that would lead you to both parks.

Edit: I forgot the parks are only open on weekends now but so my traffic warning would only apply if you go on Fridays.

I'm not sure how Sixflags FF is now as I actually stopped going due to them running it horribly a few times. If they still do wristbands, get those right away. I remember having to wait almost an hour one time due to them having only one person at each wristband booth.

How dead is this thread lol

As much as I love this site, sadly Ifeel like this whole site is slowly dying. I am probably wrong though.

TPR is still very active in the world of facebook groups. There's just nothing exciting going on at SFDK.

I went almost 10 years between visits from Los Angeles because the bay area didn't offer anything compelling until RailBlazer and Joker were added.

I went yesterday and it was pretty packed. All the main rides were running. Harley Quinn was down until a few hours into the day, then it was constantly running. V2 had about a 10-15 min wait. Joker was around 30 min. Superman and Batman had long lines so skipped those. Medusa had a bigger line as well, not sure what the wait time would be. SFDK still does the wristbands. We had purchased online and redeemed them early on. The lines were really long around 6pm so definitely get those as early as possible. Shipwreck was probably the worst maze. It had 3-4 actors with a kinda small line but long wait time. By the time we got towards the front, then sent groups of 10 so that kills the thrill as well. St Hades Hospital was probably the best haunted maze Ive been too. The scares were great and the maze was really well done well imo. St Hades Hospital and Demons Lair are both next to each other and they had the shortest wait times. Its kinda hidden so maybe people couldn’t find it. Carnevil had the longest line but that maze was really good as well. All in all, we had a great time.

How dead is this thread lol

The forums have died and even Robb/TPR has alluded to it. The new Facebook Groups option is further suffocating out the threads.

My only suggestion if they want to “fight” progress is to somehow make the site Google login capable and post social media content that directs to the forum.

I remember when there would be dozens of new posts in the forum every hour and now it’s Sunday evening and there have been like 3 in the last hour. Oh well though. I’m still holding out.

I much prefer this site to reddit or facebook. Rob and the team do a good job of keeping the crazy's out while on facebook my head expodes after 10 comments lol

Agreed, I'm still a big fan of this site and hope that the people who make it great will still continue to post. The quality of the posts and comments is just so much better than any other theme park related site.

TPR is still very active in the world of facebook groups. There's just nothing exciting going on at SFDK.

This. The lack of discussion in this thread is probably more telling of our excitement level towards this park right now than anything else. They've made a lot of nice moves lately but there's still not much to discuss without any Discovery Kingdom locals actively posting about it.

Edited by coasterbill

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm hoping to get some advice for this weekend. I'm coming into town for business Sunday morning and plan to drive south to Santa Cruz first to visit the boardwalk. Then, driving to DK with the goal of riding Batman, V2, Harley Quinn, Joker, Medusa, & Superman. What is the opinion on a Flash Pass level, will the park be busy enough to justify a pass or not? Traveling from Colorado I don't visit parks as often as I used to so I'm alright with going with a platinum pass for the visit. I'm open to suggestions and appreciate everything.

Went on Friday. Haven't been for a little while. the main "new" thing is almost the entire parking lot is now a construction site for the overhead solar panel system. It will be great on hot sunny days and rainy times. One oddity - the solar array is nearly flat (most arrays are closer to the angle of latitude) and aimed to the west more than the south. The parking lot is sloped that way but solar panels work best when aimed to the south.

Joker and Medusa had short lines until sunset.

Thank you for the info, with regard to the Flash Pass, I'm presuming that is something that I could buy once in the park and see what the lines are like first hand? (I haven't visited a 6 Flags park in probably 8 years, so please forgive me).

for sure, just gauge it when you get there and take a look around.

Yeah, I live in South Bay, but on the news it showed a lot of Vallejo suffering from the fire, I don't think Six Flags is as much in danger as the homes not too far away from the Ferry. Seeing the bridge surrounded by flames is insane. The smell of smoke in the south bay is incredible, my heart goes out to everyone affected.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I got to SFDK, so I'm going to definitely be making a trip for the holiday event. I'm glad the parking lot is finally completed, it's been a nightmare parking there this past summer.

^They built shade structures with solar panels on top. So, now a large percentage (more than half?) of the lot offers shaded parking, and the park gets solar power to boot. It was a pain during construction, as they directed everyone to the fairgrounds parking lot. The construction is done, so their regular parking lot is back in effect. But, yeah, it's still a long walk from the parking lot to the main gates.

• 4 weeks later...
Has any construction started for Sierra Sidewinder? Has anyone figured out where in the park the ride is going?

I didn't see any construction when I visited on December 20 but we also didn't get to go to the back of the park which is where I'm guessing it's going to be.

Here are a couple pictures of the parking lot in question. IMG_5782.thumb.jpeg.d0bf621a9e13422b43a977750ecba22d.jpegIMG_5785.thumb.jpeg.6e45d1af2849cfb46c91928e1fca8173.jpegIt was really weird seeing the parking lot all decked out with solar panels. I think it's really neat and should be awesome to shade the cars in warmer weather, but shade wasn't necessary on the cold day we visited.

Has any construction started for Sierra Sidewinder? Has anyone figured out where in the park the ride is going?

I went a couple of weeks ago for Holiday in the Park. It's going in where the elephants used to be.

79925205_10221472605263050_4659711827335184384_n.jpg.bd5a566fffd8c1f25cf5fa6e0e81da0c.jpg

80844611_10221472605543057_265257613992656896_n.thumb.jpg.b19fbf8a339184d7cbd807c19e59ca80.jpg

• 2 months later...

Below are some construction shots from Sidewinder Safari shot last weekend. I couldn't see any vertical construction yet, but these models can go up quite quickly.

740045496_SidewinderSafariSign.thumb.JPG.c43150aca44d08bf6d5812e2ec773e3a.JPG

1041003877_SidewinderSafariConstruction1.thumb.JPG.527b973e41f4f586fb7864303d668321.JPG

650465378_SidewinderSafariConstruction2.thumb.JPG.b746f54a38a70f17105fa3c77c5fd2d3.JPG

Also when did the Pacific Rim 5D attraction close? Didn't that just open a few years ago? The pathway leading up to it was blocked off and I can't see the ride on the website.

397486732_PacificRim5D.thumb.JPG.71dd2141d5b16d0de04e77faf5a12950.JPG

I also couldn't help but laugh that the out-of-service sign on Joker's second train was literally placed over his face like a sleeping mask.

IMG_4090.thumb.JPG.fc0a98afe26561a3137937e72d40ce72.JPG