TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^That's great news! Saved electric expenses, shading for parking, security cameras, electric vehicle plugs, supporting their pledges for sustainability and taking care of the environment. All a win!

Wondering how the construction is going to fare at a year-round park like ours. I bet the parking is going to be a nightmare until it's done. Also, part of me wondered what would happen if they decided to scrap that lot in favor of a parking structure and build a waterpark there or something. I guess this means we won't be seeing that happen.

I wonder if this will cost so much up front for the park that we don't see any exciting new rides added for a while, but then once the savings start coming in, we see a lot of park improvements? Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

IDEK what to make of that Harley Quinn coaster TBH.

I seriously thought you were talking about IKEA at first...

Plot twist: the coaster is actually manufactured by IKEA.

Six Flags will begin assembling it in-house soon and probably won't finish until Spring of next year.

It will all go wrong at the eleventh hour when they discover they're missing two pegs, one Phillips head screw, and an Allen wrench.

IDEK what to make of that Harley Quinn coaster TBH.

I seriously thought you were talking about IKEA at first...

Plot twist: the coaster is actually manufactured by IKEA.

Six Flags will begin assembling it in-house soon and probably won't finish until Spring of next year.

Nah, it'll take until spring of next year just to find the Allen wrench. October 2019 they'll call every friend and family member to see if they know how to put it together, and by March 2020 they'll just give up entirely and go buy a real bookshelf instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news from SFDK!

Now playing in the Iwerks 4D Theater for a limited time! We've brought back a classic!

DXtcjCxVAAAD-OK.jpg

I LOVED Dino Island as a kid! I would be so excited to see it again for old time's sake! Only thing they're missing is the giant T-Rex biting the fence over the queue line, and the velociraptors fighting each other in the queue.

Okay but nothing will ever be as good as DinoSphere.

Same thing, film-wise. Only missing the queue animatronics as I mentioned. I'm sure those are long gone.

One can still dream of their return, right?

That would be awesome! I found a youtube video the other day from a 1998 visit and they were filming all the animatronics. Made me really nostalgic.

Okay but nothing will ever be as good as DinoSphere.

Same thing, film-wise. Only missing the queue animatronics as I mentioned. I'm sure those are long gone.

One can still dream of their return, right?

That would be awesome! I found a youtube video the other day from a 1998 visit and they were filming all the animatronics. Made me really nostalgic.

Share it! Someday I'd love to upload my own family videos and pictures, but that requires me being back in California with enough spare time to do so (or convincing my parents to make time to do it).

^Me too!

...When I was five.

You're so savage.

Wow I’m beyond excited to see Dinosphere return. Used to be my favorite ride ever as a young child. So much that I actually cried coming home one visit because we didn’t ride it that day. I was so devestated haha. Would be awesome if the Dino’s in the queue came back.

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshot_20180402-202549.thumb.png.40fb108cdb4c6eec50c536e0d01d8502.png

Had a chance to visit Six Flags Discovery Kingdom while working in Northern California this week. Here are my thoughts and brief update on the park!

20180402_103312.thumb.jpg.5733b95e9509c2ca19360f6de579cbee.jpg

First let me point out, that after years and years of visiting random amusement parks, let me just say, I consider myself an expert at getting through security, fast, easy and with no mistakes.

20180402_103322.thumb.jpg.88f761996894e961dd24a22ede295d9e.jpg

Unlike these poor, inexperienced folk, lol. Anyway, on with my day.

I was extremely disappointed with the operations at the park. I arrived 30 minutes before park opening and many of the rides were not even testing by park opening. The Joker, Wonder Woman, Medusa and Kong were all closed when the park opened. There were no staff members/attendants at any of these rides when the park opened. At least in The Joker and Wonder Woman's case, they did not even finishing testing and open until an hour and half after the park opened. Superman was opened, which is where everyone headed to, including myself.

20180402_104310.thumb.jpg.ed1863c325615204e80af439cc59933a.jpg

Kudos to the attendants at Superman. They were fast, efficient and loaded every single seat. Dispatch was quick and they were even helping people with their loose belongings to keep things nice and speedy. I very much enjoyed Superman and the team operating it.

Screenshot_20180402-210800.thumb.png.f8ab0dc2c3d1e90ba6181360e3a5627c.png

I got to interact with some of the animals they have after Superman (waiting for the other rides to open.) Last year when I visited, there were 2 walruses and this year, they only had one. I asked the attendant about it and unfortunately one of them passed away a few months ago. He said that they are currently searching for another but I was told if they can't find one soon, the one they do have will go somewhere else. Walruses are very social animals, so they like to have more than one. Sad to hear this

A few more animals.

20180402_113457.thumb.jpg.13a39c1e3b42b569ee625043d72dc6a2.jpg

20180402_122313.thumb.jpg.8c79d176c5db787bad73f25ff5b2ffa2.jpg

20180402_121605.thumb.jpg.f3339212fc5f56d094bce86c56ec49e0.jpg

Screenshot_20180402-210931.thumb.png.cd11f4b9f9f118a19aa7a954587ec29e.png

20180402_103225.thumb.jpg.9c398827390f790c2735333390042aec.jpg

Finally, got to The Joker and Wonder Woman. Definitely the go to rides at this park. It would've been a shame had they been closed all day. Because they are both fantastic!

20180402_160927.thumb.jpg.d5e04e3794ed4be2bf2508a994105080.jpg

I love this station. It's ugly and chaotic. Just like Mr. J.

20180402_122157.thumb.jpg.a273bfd003bf0ad967be5304adde59f8.jpg

Also hit up Boomerang. I'm so sick of these, but like an Alzheimer's patient, when I see one, I think "That could be fun!" Nope.

20180402_162220.thumb.jpg.2e162bb3efcca84b65a48ce40441dafd.jpg

Love this picture.

20180402_135638.thumb.jpg.35548f5c37094d0a301decc24f9866ec.jpg

Is this thing ever open? I mean, it was closed the entire day and it was also closed the entire day last time I visited. Maybe I'm just unlucky? It looks fun! I'd love to ride it someday.

I did get to eventually eat something. Six Flags food is never known for quality or taste, but something they do up right, is the pizza. It's cheesy, it's huge and awesome. I usually do not eat at Six Flags, but if I do, I always go for the pizza.

Unfortunately, they weren't fully staffed or prepared for what is still considered the spring break crowds. The wait to get food was almost an hour, they had only one window open and staff was very slooooooooow.

20180402_162325.thumb.jpg.87583af0e7556b53ca0aba5ef8f7ede1.jpg

Also got to ride Medusa and Sky Screamer. I was a bit annoyed but the ride attendant at Sky Screamer. He kept talking really stupid and even the people in line were pretty annoyed. One young man kept covering his ears and rolling his eyes. Everytime people would board, the attendant asked "Are you guys ready? Let me hear you!" They would all scream "Yea!" Then he'd say "I can't hear you, are you ready!" And they'd scream "Yea!!!" Then he'd say "I still can't hear you! Scream if you're ready!" And everyone would annoyingly say "Yes!! Start the ride!"

Also, quote of the day goes to a kid in line for Wonder Woman. He says "God! This line is like...5 years long!"

Well, that was my day. No pictures or updates on Harley Quinn Coaster because it's basically 0 progress. Not even gone vertical, but based on the location, it's going to be a VERY TIGHT SQUEEZE. I'll be interested to see how it all looks when it's completed.

Dan, I think you just hit the nail on the head as to all the problems I've had with this park. While I still try to enjoy visiting there, and yes, it has improved, I will say that this park has its priorities backwards! I can totally see where you're coming from.

^^ Great report! I was there twice in the summer of 2014. I believe Hammerhead Shark was open one of the two days I visited. It was a really fun flat with a ton of hang time.

That is one of my favorite flat rides. I really hope it doesn't get the chopping block any time soon.