TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

LOL. I had that coming. In my defense, it was in the lower 30s in the morning (thus the frost) but yes, probably upper 40s/lower 50s when noon came around for opening.

I didn't end up going, though. Wayyyy too cold out there! I have a 2016 comp ticket, so time is running out! Looks like there are some expanded hours this week before Christmas arrives.

Still, the high yesterday here was 27 and when we opened the Alpine Coaster (still amazed that happen) it was 10 with a wind chill of -11 on it. Then again at 80 MPH at 30 degrees, yep, that is cold. I would go to Six Flags in a heartbeat at 30 degrees, I envy you Bill.

Went for Holiday in the Park today, and crowds were very light. Joker, Superman, and Medusa's lines were maybe 20-30 minutes tops...V2 was down all day but not posted as closed. The lights were nice, but we didn't stay long after dark because it got down to about 46 degrees and we're wimpy Californians

LOL. I had that coming..

LOL Yes you did. Bundle up and ride some coasters.

Still, the high yesterday here was 27 and when we opened the Alpine Coaster (still amazed that happen) it was 10 with a wind chill of -11 on it. Then again at 80 MPH at 30 degrees, yep, that is cold. I would go to Six Flags in a heartbeat at 30 degrees, I envy you Bill.

Those Alpine coasters can run in everything. We rode the one at Camelback in PA when it was -2 degrees out and the upper ski runs were on a wind hold. The lift hill (that went on forever) parallels one of the green runs and we were getting hit in the face with wind-blown snow the entire way up. The ride itself was great though. Nobody was riding it so we didn't touch the brakes until we reached the end.

Went for Holiday in the Park today, and crowds were very light. Joker, Superman, and Medusa's lines were maybe 20-30 minutes tops...V2 was down all day but not posted as closed. The lights were nice, but we didn't stay long after dark because it got down to about 46 degrees and we're wimpy Californians

I was also there on Sunday, but only in the evening. Joker was running great and didn't have a line that was too bad. Also got a couple rides on Medusa, but Superman broke down while we were in line and didn't seem to come back up. SFDK really can't afford to have two coasters go down. Luckily it was cold and empty enough we were OK with just Joker and Medusa, but it was annoying having V2 down all day.

The lights were nice, but a lot of the park is still pretty dark. And sadly the Drench! show didn't seem to have any holiday twist to it, which was a little sad. I also wish there had been a few more fire pits and hot chocolate stands, but the hot chocolate was pretty tasty. I need to get down to Winterfest at CGA to see how their holiday theming matches up.

• 2 weeks later...

Was at the park today. Pretty solid crowds. Joker was 30-45 min, Superman 30, Kong almost 30, and Medusa 10-20.

This was only my second visit this year, and so I had only been on Joker twice before. It honestly felt much faster and much more forceful the 3 times I rode it today versus either 2 before. That was back in late June I think

It really is an awesome coaster. The negative g's are crazy

No

Is there any possibility of it being open by Spring Break?

Absolutely.

I would bet more likely Patriot is done first, but I assume Wonder Woman doesn't require too much on-site work so it's not impossible. But they sure don't seem to have done much yet, whereas Patriot is well under way.

Hey all! I'm thinking about making a trip up from Los Angeles tomorrow (Sunday, January 8th) and I understand it's been forecasted to rain in Valejo for the majority of the day. Can I expect many rides to be closed? Will it be worth it to make the trek up there? I haven't been since before they've redone V2 so there is a lot that will be new to me.

Thanks for any heads up.

Hey all! I'm thinking about making a trip up from Los Angeles tomorrow (Sunday, January 8th) and I understand it's been forecasted to rain in Valejo for the majority of the day. Can I expect many rides to be closed? Will it be worth it to make the trek up there? I haven't been since before they've redone V2 so there is a lot that will be new to me.

Thanks for any heads up.

I would expect the park to be closed tomorrow. It's closed today due to inclement weather, and it's supposed to be just as wet tomorrow. I would be very surprised if it was open tomorrow.

Is there any possibility of it being open by Spring Break? I've heard Patriot may be open by March 25, so it'd be nice to hit both new attractions at the same time.

Unlikely. I was there yesterday, and nothing has been done yet.

Speaking of yesterday, it was glorious. I got to enjoy one of the perks of teaching in a school district that has a later winter break. I had all of last week off, so I went yesterday hoping for low crowds. I didn't get low crowds, I got no crowds. I spent the day camped out on The Joker, and ended up with 19 rides by the time I left. The seat assigning policy is more relaxed on quiet days. They either didn't assign seats at all, or allowed you to choose any open row. Even during the latter scenario, they still honored row requests (I do love my front row rides). They also allowed people to re-ride in empty rows. Like I said, it was glorious. It's the first time I've come home from a day at that park and felt a little fuzzy from all the g-forces.

• 3 weeks later...

With CGA's 20 year plan approved by Santa Clara city council, they look poised to really improve that park significantly during that time period. What does everyone think SFDK does to try to keep pace? Taking into account 2017 additions (Wonder Woman and Patriot), I'd say SFDK has the better stable of attractions, but if they want to keep it that way, they'll definitely need to spend some significant money.