TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I came across this photo a while back (its been sitting on my desktop for a while now) and thougt people here might find it interesting.

Its interesting to compare this photo to current satellite images and see what buildings and pathways are still there. Certainly there used to be a lot more grass. One of the things I thought interesting are the white objects along the pathway on the edge of the water. It looks like there was about five of them, and two of them are still there around the butterfly exhibit. The one of the other side of the path seems to have been removed, probably because the train used to pass right along there.

1_1.thumb.jpg.53ad2241663a9ce114c4d7badd9f12e0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Had a really good visit last Saturday - fairly cold out in the evening when we were there but not too bad and operations were great with very small lines. Medusa was a walk-on, Superman had maybe a 10 minute wait, and Joker was near walk-on with great operations all night. The Holiday in the Park themeing was decent in spots but overall a bit underwhelming. They had this one guy tending a fire and that was kinda nice to stop near for some quick warmth but the whole time I was thinking, wow if you guys had a dude making smores right there you could make a killing!

They had this one guy tending a fire and that was kinda nice to stop near for some quick warmth but the whole time I was thinking, wow if you guys had a dude making smores right there you could make a killing!

The s'mores making area is by the main plaza. S'mores kits and several fires.

^^Most times I have gone, Kong has been running only the yellow train. Thing is, Kong can be a VERY moody coaster. I have gotten some truly awesome rides on it, but have ridden later in the day in the exact same seat of the exact same train and experienced a very rough ride. I actually think time of day matters more than which train or where you sit. (It is much better to ride earlier in the day than later).

Kong is usually bad for me no matter where I sit, but I have gotten the occasional good ride on it. But I have also had rides on it that made me wish I was riding New York, New York. (I actually think that New York, New York is overall a better coaster than an SLC. Average roughness for me is about the same, but at least NYNY has a cool location and an original layout).

Haven't been to the park in a while. Has there been any progress on the new Wonder Woman ride?

I was there yesterday. I saw no discernible difference at the soon-to-be construction site.

On a side note, don't go to SFDK on "Roller Coaster Race" day and the Las Posadas celebration. Yesterday was the only day I could go this month, so I decided to go, hoping that the cold temperatures and cloudy skies would cancel out the potential crowds of these two events. Nope, didn't happen. Lots of people, long lines throughout the park. They're still assigning seats on the Joker as well. I understand the reasoning for it, but I would really like to just be able to choose my own seat. Roar operated 16 years without groupers, why not Joker?

They're still assigning seats on the Joker as well. I understand the reasoning for it, but I would really like to just be able to choose my own seat. Roar operated 16 years without groupers, why not Joker?

Roar \neq Joker. Older GCI \neq new RMC.

They were assigning seats at Wicked Cyclone earlier this year, and that was on a quieter day almost a year after that coaster's opening. Roar's station is only somewhat larger than that one (although there is space for people to wait for the front and back).

Wicked Cyclone crew was doing really well pumping them out. And SFDK crowds are really dumb and slow (all stoned?) when it comes to finding a row. So it's probably better for throughput, but not for us. (I know I always talk about WC, LOL. The other RMCs I've been on haven't been so stickler about assigning rows).

THey don't allow requests?

They're still assigning seats on the Joker as well. I understand the reasoning for it, but I would really like to just be able to choose my own seat. Roar operated 16 years without groupers, why not Joker?

They were assigning seats at Wicked Cyclone earlier this year, and that was on a quieter day almost a year after that coaster's opening. Roar's station is only somewhat larger than that one (although there is space for people to wait for the front and back).

Wicked Cyclone crew was doing really well pumping them out. And SFDK crowds are really dumb and slow (all stoned?) when it comes to finding a row. So it's probably better for throughput, but not for us. (I know I always talk about WC, LOL. The other RMCs I've been on haven't been so stickler about assigning rows).

I requested a row when we were there without an issue. (Back row)

Row requests are hit-or-miss. Requests for the front are out of the question. Usually, I've been able to request any of the empty rows (I choose the back, obviously), but sometimes they don't even allow that. This was the case yesterday. Only half the train was full, I requested the back. I was politely told "No preferred seating", and that was that. I'm hoping they relax the policy as the novelty of the new ride wears off and the crowds aren't as hefty. Like I said, I completely understand the rationale for assigning seats. My desires are selfish, pure and simple. I WANT THE FRONT!

Row requests are hit-or-miss. Requests for the front are out of the question. Usually, I've been able to request any of the empty rows (I choose the back, obviously), but sometimes they don't even allow that. This was the case yesterday. Only half the train was full, I requested the back. I was politely told "No preferred seating", and that was that. I'm hoping they relax the policy as the novelty of the new ride wears off and the crowds aren't as hefty. Like I said, I completely understand the rationale for assigning seats. My desires are selfish, pure and simple. I WANT THE FRONT!

You can have the front, I'll take the back

I'll hopefully be checking on how it's aged (July --> December) in just a few weeks! Will hopefully get my mom on it too! She convinced me to ride my first big coaster (Medusa) and years later, I'll hopefully convince her to ride her first RMC and get her first real airtime!

I went on Saturday and it was probably the best experience I have had there. It was raining when the park opened at Noon and the weather really kept the crowds away.

We walked on just about everything. Joker was first and after waiting 45 minutes in the heat several months ago to ride it, walking on when it was overcast and 60 degrees was awesome. Superman was next and we even got to stay on for a second ride.

I went on V2 several times ... one time I was the only one on it! That was amazing. The ride operator said "Good afternoon, Sir!"

We also walked on to Sky Screamer and Medusa. We actually had to wait one cycle for Tazmanian Devil when it finally opened. For whatever reason, I LOVE that ride. I wonder if Lasso of Truth will be somewhat similar.

We went on the seasonal iWerks thing and it was not very entertaining. I think we were supposed to be an ice cube ... still not sure.