TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^^Thank you for clearing that up, Charles!

Whatever wheels it runs on, it's still an amazing totally marathon-worthy coaster and I definitely like it better than Twisted Colossus! (Although I will admit that TC is pretty awesome when it duels). (Also, I'm more than a bit biased).

Sincerely,

~RAWKIN_(waiting for everyone to appreciate Joker more)_coaster38

I've only ridden on TC twice once in row 2 and once in the row in front of the most rear. Only about one or two of the 4 "laps" dueled. But in all honesty, I do perfer TC over Joker. RMC's aren't normally straight and TC having a second lift hill is pretty funny, it gives you a chance to talk about the ride during it and psych yourself up for a duplicate drop.

Meanwhile The Joker it just drops you down and never lets up even when it's going slow. I guess the rapid pace and element after element of joker isn't something I really enjoy. It reminds me of Kong in that regard. ::holds up flame shield::

^ ^ ^

The crowds at this park don't really die down until Fright Fest is over. Then they remain fairly empty until around mid-March. If you ever go again, try to aim for that time.

I second this. Don't give up hope, CoastersOnly. Crowds seem to be directly tied to weather conditions. My prime park visiting time is during the "off-season". Since the weather is warm in the Bay Area during September and October, there are more people at the park (though not necessarily crowded). Once Fright Fest is over, which happens to be when the weather cools off and gets dreary, the crowds drop precipitously. Sundays in November through February (even into March, depending on how long winter hangs on) are fantastic marathon opportunities. So, don't get discouraged.

Bring a friend days are always busy especially the ones on weekends.

Not necessarily. I've been during plenty of BAFF days during the winter when the weather is cold and cloudy, and enjoyed an empty park. Weather plays a huge role in crowds.

Meanwhile The Joker it just drops you down and never lets up even when it's going slow. I guess the rapid pace and element after element of joker isn't something I really enjoy. It reminds me of Kong in that regard. ::holds up flame shield::

I think that's what I like so much about it. It's just a rush from beginning to end, especially when it's running at its fastest. You get to the break run and can hear everyone audibly take a breath. No, it's not the most intense coaster I've ever been on, but it's extremely rerideable and awesome! Well, to be fair, all the RMCs are (at least that I've been on).

I was going to say I hope they do a scare zone over there, but looking at the Fright Fest website, it doesn't seem that way. In fact, it seems even more scaled down from last year. There is one new maze, which I'm guessing might be replacing the one that was at Monsoon Falls, since that one isn't listed. Of course, Slaughter Pig Farms is gone because of Pacific Rim and that was one of the best ones they had. They haven't had a maze at Whitewater Safari in a few years. All the others are returning this year.

I really don't understand this. Last year, Fright Fest was absolutely packed when we went. More mazes = more wristbands and VIP wristbands purchased. Am I missing something?

^^it wasn't the date that I was questioning, it's whether I had to be present to renew. I never saw anything on the site that suggested a friend could do it for me. It was unclear to me if I had to be physically (as myself) at the park before Oct 28, but it sounds like I don't as long as someone does it for me (and I found someone who will). To me that was different than anything I read on the site so I appreciate the park's response.

Hey there! QQ- My friend bought a flash sale discovery kingdom season pass but can't make it to the park. We are planning to go to magic mountain in a week and after reading your post it sounds like I might be able to process it for him if I go to SFDK?

^^it wasn't the date that I was questioning, it's whether I had to be present to renew. I never saw anything on the site that suggested a friend could do it for me. It was unclear to me if I had to be physically (as myself) at the park before Oct 28, but it sounds like I don't as long as someone does it for me (and I found someone who will). To me that was different than anything I read on the site so I appreciate the park's response.

Hey there! QQ- My friend bought a flash sale discovery kingdom season pass but can't make it to the park. We are planning to go to magic mountain in a week and after reading your post it sounds like I might be able to process it for him if I go to SFDK?

Hi. I'm the one processing RAWKIN_coaster38's pass. According to the email response from the park, which she forwarded to me, someone else can process it and pick up the physical card for a friend. Just to be sure, I would email the park and get it in writing, so that you have something to show guest services in case they balk. That's what I plan on doing. Just make sure you process it at SFDK (the park he purchased it from), not SFMM.

^ ^ ^

The crowds at this park don't really die down until Fright Fest is over. Then they remain fairly empty until around mid-March. If you ever go again, try to aim for that time.

Maybe we just got too damn lucky because in 2013 and 2014 we had nothing but awesome times whenever we went. Not a single crowded offseason Sunday at Discovery Kingdom at any point in the year (always avoided Spring Break/Summer, naturally) and we most often went in September and October both years, usually twice each month. Seriously was dead every single time with the worst wait occasionally being Kong at a little over 20 minutes since there's usually one car.

To put it in perspective, Superman barely ever got down the little stairs outside of where you board the car. Yes, barely past the stairs. The line never even snaked around in both years we went. Ever!

Went on Sunday, brought in two friends for free, and it was basically disastrous. First time I've ever gone on an offseason Sunday with no special event and have had it be extremely crowded.

Bring a friend days are always busy especially the ones on weekends.

Again, just not true either given our past experiences or even this May when we brought friends and waited no more than ten minutes for Medusa (and basically walked on the other two times).

Maybe we just got too damn lucky because in 2013 and 2014 we had nothing but awesome times whenever we went. Not a single crowded offseason Sunday at Discovery Kingdom at any point in the year (always avoided Spring Break/Summer, naturally) and we most often went in September and October both years, usually twice each month.

Those aren't too bad, either.

FYI, in any roller coaster application, Nylon, or high speed wheels allow the vehicle to travel faster, while poly wheels generally slow the ride vehicle down. Joker opened on 100% Nylon wheels to assist with break in procedures. However, very similar to Medusa, Joker now runs a mix of Poly and Nylon wheels to "tune" and adjust the overall target cycle time. Hope that helps.

Still tuning,

Charles

Thanks for the info Charles!

As for Bring a Friend days, avoid the park at all costs. I made that mistake once as well and it was a nightmare!

FYI, in any roller coaster application, Nylon, or high speed wheels allow the vehicle to travel faster, while poly wheels generally slow the ride vehicle down. Joker opened on 100% Nylon wheels to assist with break in procedures. However, very similar to Medusa, Joker now runs a mix of Poly and Nylon wheels to "tune" and adjust the overall target cycle time. Hope that helps.

Still tuning,

Charles

Really good insight, thanks Charles!

I was there this past Sunday, and it was the busiest I've ever seen when at the park, but even then it was maybe a 15-20 minute wait for Medusa, 40ish minutes for Joker. The only thing with a crazy line was White Water Safari (makes sense since it was 90 or so). I normally go in Winter/Spring and rarely have any issues with crowds (except for food), so count me in the camp of "try again on a weekend in November/December.

I can add the data point that I had a friend process other peoples passes a few weeks ago, and this weekend when I processed my pass I didn't need any ID or anything, so I would think it's OK to process a friends (I bet especially if you purchased both).

I heard the Kong trains are back on the track and are reportedly not being altered at all for the VR. If true, this will end badly...probably with an injury lawsuit.

If that is indeed true, then I can see the ride becoming even less popular with the general public, who for some reason think it's worth waiting 80 minutes for.

I heard the Kong trains are back on the track and are reportedly not being altered at all for the VR. If true, this will end badly...probably with an injury lawsuit.

If that is indeed true, then I can see the ride becoming even less popular with the general public, who for some reason think it's worth waiting 80 minutes for.

Yeah SFDK just confirmed it on their Facebook page showing video of riders in the original cars/restraints with the headset. This is going to be terrible.

The silver lining I guess is that I think you're right that the popularity will fade even further, which may bring about Kong's imminent removal for something better. I also really wouldn't be surprised if someone really did get hurt (concussion, whiplash, etc) and go after the park. Even Vekoma has to be shaking their heads at this one (no pun intended lol).

I wonder if part of the VR experience will be getting hit in the head so it will seem super realistic.

I'm curious if they'll still be running this with VR one year from now. Obviously, people will line up for VR this season out of curiosity. But what about after they've tried it and most likely hate it? I agree with the person above and hope that this will be what pushes them to replace Kong. Hopefully something other than a Free Spin. (That can be placed elsewhere without Kong's removal)

I think you guys are wayyy over-exaggerating this. No one is going to get hurt and sue just because they have something over their eyes if Kong hasn't done it so far. Plus, no one is forcing them to wear VR, so if they get hurt because of the VR, they can only blame themselves. Also, Kong really isn't that rough compared to some other SLCs, and if I recall correctly, there's another coaster getting VR that's also a notoriously rough coaster. People will like Kong better with the VR. I'd be surprised if it didn't make Kong more popular.

I think you guys are wayyy over-exaggerating this. No one is going to get hurt and sue just because they have something over their eyes if Kong hasn't done it so far. Plus, no one is forcing them to wear VR, so if they get hurt because of the VR, they can only blame themselves. Also, Kong really isn't that rough compared to some other SLCs, and if I recall correctly, there's another coaster getting VR that's also a notoriously rough coaster. People will like Kong better with the VR. I'd be surprised if it didn't make Kong more popular.

The reason I think someone might get hurt is because with their eyes covered, they won't have any way of seeing when a turn or inversion is coming or be able to brace themselves. You get hurt much easier when you're "rag dolling" instead of bracing. I don't think EVERYONE is going to get hurt, but I think it will inevitably happen to someone.

I'm probably going on Sunday for the ERT, and I think I will brave it with the VR at least once and report back.

^I'm pretty sure most of the GP don't brace anyway, and eye covering wouldn't make you go ragdoll if you weren't before. I'm not saying it's impossible to get hurt on Kong, but I just don't see that the VR is going to suddenly cause some horrific injury because the person couldn't see the track in front of them.

Exaggeration is fun, though.

Anyway, the VR's awful dispatch time is definitely going to ruin the ride for some people. I'll probably never ride it again after initially trying out the VR unless they have a separate single rider line without it.

Hey guys, never been to this park and I don't have a lot of time when I go (October 28th). Are the Halloweekends crowds crazy, and is there any chance I'd be able to get on everything in 4 hours?! If not, I need some must rides. There's one attraction in particular I'm excited about, but I know very little about the park in general.

Hey guys, never been to this park and I don't have a lot of time when I go (October 28th). Are the Halloweekends crowds crazy, and is there any chance I'd be able to get on everything in 4 hours?! If not, I need some must rides. There's one attraction in particular I'm excited about, but I know very little about the park in general.

For Fright Fest, it gets busier the later in the day it gets and the closer to Halloween it gets. Friday the 28th will be a busy day, but probably a lot less busy than Saturday the 29th which will probably be the busiest.

If you're just concerned with coasters, make sure to get there at park opening and you should be able to get them done by 8pm. Head straight for Joker first, then do Superman, V2, Kong, Medusa.

If you're doing them at all for the credits, leave Cobra and Boomerang till last. Keep your mind (and wallet) open to the possibility of buying a Flash Pass. That will be a pretty busy weekend, so it might come in handy.

If you're just concerned with coasters, make sure to get there at park opening and you should be able to get them done by 8pm. Head straight for Joker first, then do Superman, V2, Kong, Medusa.

If you're doing them at all for the credits, leave Cobra and Boomerang till last. Keep your mind (and wallet) open to the possibility of buying a Flash Pass. That will be a pretty busy weekend, so it might come in handy.

Not sure exactly what time I'll get there. Hopefully at opening, likely a little later. I won't be doing any mazes and I'll likely avoid any VR rides due to the slow loading process. Flash pass sadly won't happen, either.

Thanks for the quick response and advice! Wish I had more time at the park.

This will also make my third RMC, can't wait to see how it compares to Twisted Colossus and Goliath.

Edited by Mossed

Not sure exactly what time I'll get there. Hopefully at opening, likely a little later. I won't be doing any mazes and I'll likely avoid any VR rides due to the slow loading process. Flash pass sadly won't happen, either.

Thanks for the quick response and advice! Wish I had more time at the park.

Actually if you ride Kong (The VR ride) but ride without VR, you'll be loaded quicker.

This is interesting. From a distance the restraints don't look modified at all, I'll be interested to try it out tomorrow and see if they really are different at all.

They also don't look modified at all up close:

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]