TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

You know I wish RMC and Premier and whoever else is manufacturing these new lap bars would produce a "California" version where the lap bars would be locked up or something until the operator unlocks or lowers them. Sure would save a lot of time (and thus $)

You know I wish RMC and Premier and whoever else is manufacturing these new lap bars would produce a "California" version where the lap bars would be locked up or something until the operator unlocks or lowers them. Sure would save a lot of time (and thus $)

Haha, that's a good idea. It seems most visitors to this park can't seem to listen to the person shouting over the loudspeaker.

Hopefully, they'll fix whatever issues the purple train is having as soon as possible. Although, I worry the instant that it's placed on the track, the green will be taken off.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but is there a reason why the operators do not want riders pulling down the lap bars? Am I just reading it wrong, or is it some kind of state regulation?

They can't check the seatbelts if the lapbar is already down.

Just wanted to note it was still running only green train yesterday and had 20-40 min waits all through the afternoon. The crew was hauling, but the line still moved slow. More strict seating assignments, you can ask for a row that isn't already filled but you can't wait for any. They're also getting better at calling up single riders and matching them. Also, they're making a big point to tell people not to pull down the lap bats early and people are still doing it.

I was really impressed with how fast the employees were moving, they all know they have something special with this one and it's important to get as many people on it as possible.

I hope they are getting good at calling up single riders because my friend's family either keeps him from coming or he's busy and he lives in Oakdale of all places. That's over 100 miles one way I think.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but is there a reason why the operators do not want riders pulling down the lap bars? Am I just reading it wrong, or is it some kind of state regulation?

They can't check the seatbelts if the lapbar is already down.

Its a Six Flags thing to require seat belts on any coaster that inverts, California isnt the only place that has them, but theyre required on all California coasters. They went back and retrofitted all inverting coasters with seat belts in about 2013. I remember Superman was very awkward and very slow loading for quite a while when that happened. Right when the coaster reopened I remember the ride ops were requiring individual verbal affirmation from all riders that they wouldnt touch the lap bars before they opened the air gates.

The short summary is the coasters require seat belts, and the ride ops are required to check the seat belts with the lap bar up, so if anyone pulls the bar down before their seat belt is checked, they have to recheck either the car or the whole train depending on the coaster.

I know Joker has the ability to lock and unlock individual seats and rows where Superman can only lock or unlock the whole train so if someone messes up on Superman, they have to recheck the entire train.

That sounds great on paper, but some parks actually use that system, and it is even worse.

Silverwood does that. They leave the lap bars up so they can check the seatbelts first, and then after the ops are done checking those, they have to walk down the rows again to check lap bars. Now, Silverwood is a great park, but their loading procedures combined with single train operations make Six Flags look lightning fast.

What could work is having a system that allows the restraints to be locked up or down by individual cars or rows. That would require a lot of coordination with the control panel op and the ones checking restraints, though.

The best solution for future designs would be to redesign the seatbelts or trains so that they can be checked after the lap bar is lowered. Intamin designs their trains like this. On El Toro, the seatbelt tabs are made to be very long and heavy, so they hand out the side of the train, meaning they can easily be checked by the operator even after the lab bar has been lowered. However, RMC and Premier may have to radically change their designs to allow a system like that to work.

And I am pretty sure that this is just a Six Flags thing, not a California thing. Both California Screamin and Viper still operate with the lone OTSR's and no seatbelts.

How long has V2 been closed? Normally a ride doesn't get listed as SBNO on RCDB unless there are some serious issues with it.

I rode it some time last fall but it definitely hasn't been open this year. I noticed them doing more work on it this week but there are still a lot of train pieces lying around.

Also, you'd think guests at SFDK would know not to pull the lap bar down since they've had the rule at Superman for a long time. The ride op at Joker literally got everyone to look at him while we were waiting for the train to come back and he told us the rule, and apparently people were still not doing it right. Superman seemed to get better after the first year of that rule so hopefully people learn for Joker as well.

That sounds great on paper, but some parks actually use that system, and it is even worse.

Silverwood does that. They leave the lap bars up so they can check the seatbelts first, and then after the ops are done checking those, they have to walk down the rows again to check lap bars.

Well that's basically what they're doing now when someone puts a lap bar down who's not supposed to.
The best solution for future designs would be to redesign the seatbelts or trains so that they can be checked after the lap bar is lowered. Intamin designs their trains like this. On El Toro, the seatbelt tabs are made to be very long and heavy, so they hand out the side of the train, meaning they can easily be checked by the operator even after the lab bar has been lowered. However, RMC and Premier may have to radically change their designs to allow a system like that to work.
From what I've been told by various SF managers, it's their policy not to check any seat belts underneath a restraint bar. Even if it can be done, they don't want to take the chance of a false positive.
And I am pretty sure that this is just a Six Flags thing' date=' not a California thing. Both California Screamin and Viper still operate with the lone OTSR's and no seatbelts.[/quote']It's not all Six Flags and its not all California, but its all Six Flags in California.

^^Okay, maybe my knowledge of El Toro could be outdated. I know they had no problems checking the seatbelts with the lap bars down, but that was five years ago. I will be headed there in two weeks, so I will know then if loading procedure has changed. It is pretty clear that the seatbelts were deigned to be checked with the lap bars down, but SF could have changed their policy, still.

But also, Six Flags does not check restraints in the exact same way Silverwood does. At Six Flags parks, they check the seatbelts first, then lower the lap bar for the same rider immediately after. At Silverwood, they lock the lap bars up, then walk down the entire train checking seatbelts, and after they are down with that, they walk down the entire train again checking lap bars. Six Flags ops walk down the rows once checking two things with each rider at a time. At Silverwood, they walk all the way down the rows and check one thing, then they walk down the rows again and check the next thing. While Silverwood's system is more idiot-proof, Six Flags' system is still much faster.

So got a ride advisory survey and i clicked on SF:DK as my most visited park. After answering some basic justice leauge questions I got to this

Unless i'm blind, deaf and really stupid. SF:DK doesn't have one. Sooo.. maybe we're getting one?

Later on it says "The Justice League attraction at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is a ride.

What kind of ride do you think Justice League is?"

Unless they are doing each set of sets on V2 as a different character. I have no idea what they are talking about.

So got a ride advisory survey and i clicked on SF:DK as my most visited park. After answering some basic justice leauge questions I got to this

Unless i'm blind, deaf and really stupid. SF:DK doesn't have one. Sooo.. maybe we're getting one?

Later on it says "The Justice League attraction at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom is a ride.

What kind of ride do you think Justice League is?"

Unless they are doing each set of sets on V2 as a different character. I have no idea what they are talking about.

It's probably not V2. The entire train is back on the track still covered in the Twix wrap. As much as I'd love a Justice League ride, it's probably just a mistake.

It was fairly crowded today. Joker was being difficult. As much as the staff was trying to keep the line moving quickly, the single train operation forced the line to reach well over an hour at the end of the day. It went down at about 3:00 and didn't reopen until about 6:30. After which, the entire first car was unavailable. In a bit of good news, they did run the purple train for a test run during those three and a half hours. Perhaps they're almost ready to return to two train operations.

The last survey I took wasn't a rides survey but I took it for SFDK and then out of curiosity retried the link for SFMM. It was the same exact survey. I really doubt were getting a Justice League ride since it's pretty certain that SFGAdv and SFOG are getting one. If anything, we'd get a Justice League movie in iwerks theater.

^yikes that sounds awful. I'm planning on going today for just a few hours. I almost went yesterday but I moved back my trip. Hopefully it's open today and the lines aren't too long. I'm hoping to get 14 rides this week and then I'll be at 50 overall. Even one train op last week I got 7 rides just getting back in line over and over for 5 hours. I love this coaster and it's well worth the wait but would be awesome if the wait wasn't so long! If it's down I won't even stay probably.

Just got back from the park, 40 minute waits, still one train op but there were some guys doing something with purple train.

Also, V2 was testing throughout the day. There were multiple ops in the station. I feel like it'll open soon, maybe even tomorrow

Just got back from the park, 40 minute waits, still one train op but there were some guys doing something with purple train.

Also, V2 was testing throughout the day. There were multiple ops in the station. I feel like it'll open soon, maybe even tomorrow

V2 is open now.

Edited by Noobitizer

Just something I noticed, but did anyone else realize that the animation for the top gun stall is different than how it turned out. In the animation it turned 180* right, stalled, and then turn right 180* again, making the car go in a full 360* inversion. But in the final ride, it turns 180* right, stalls, and then turns 180* left. Just something I noticed, anyone know why this might have happened?

Just something I noticed, but did anyone else realize that the animation for the top gun stall is different than how it turned out. In the animation it turned 180* right, stalled, and then turn right 180* again, making the car go in a full 360* inversion. But in the final ride, it turns 180* right, stalls, and then turns 180* left. Just something I noticed, anyone know why this might have happened?

Yeah, we realized. Not sure why the change was made, though. Perhaps they didn't want the ride to exclusively use 360* inversions.

I like how the RMCs we've seen so far have had small design changes when compared to the animation. It makes the construction process more intriguing.

I love B&M, but at least with Cedar Fair, their coasters come out EXACTLY like the animation, so the construction process gets very old very fast, at least for me.

I couldn't careless about which way it rolls on the exit. It's the best inversion on the ride to me. I thought the top gun stall portion would be my favorite as the one on TC is insane. But the one on the Joker just doesn't feel the same to me somehow, even though it's longer right?

I couldn't careless about which way it rolls on the exit. It's the best inversion on the ride to me. I thought the top gun stall portion would be my favorite as the one on TC is insane. But the one on the Joker just doesn't feel the same to me somehow, even though it's longer right?

It looks higher than on Twisted Colossus, so it probably goes through it slower.

It looks higher than on Twisted Colossus, so it probably goes through it slower.

It's probably just shaped differently. Twisted Colossus likely kills off more speed before the stall than Joker because it's later in the course and the rides are different heights/speeds/lengths otherwise so just the height of an element is almost no indication of how fast it's taken.