TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Random thought: If there's Superman, Penguin, and The Joker all in the same area as V2, shouldn't we expect a retheme of V2 soon? Seriously, doesn't that outlier of theme seem a bit odd?

If they do I'm hopping for a flash theme. It would be super easy to do.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Random thought: If there's Superman, Penguin, and The Joker all in the same area as V2, shouldn't we expect a retheme of V2 soon? Seriously, doesn't that outlier of theme seem a bit odd?

It's expected, but it seems unlikely that it will receive it this year. With the refurbishment seemingly almost over and no visible change to the ride, station, or sign, it doesn't seem to be happening yet.

I honestly thought that when V2 was down so long, but now if they're putting it back it might be a while again before they decide to have it down long enough for a repaint and retheme.

Flash makes total sense but I'm gonna call it now for Batman. SFDK is like the only Six Flags park without a coaster named Batman. Plus Batman next to Joker kinda makes sense.

Unless we actually get one of those Free-Fly coasters in the next few years and that one is named Batman?

I honestly thought that when V2 was down so long, but now if they're putting it back it might be a while again before they decide to have it down long enough for a repaint and retheme.

Flash makes total sense but I'm gonna call it now for Batman. SFDK is like the only Six Flags park without a coaster named Batman. Plus Batman next to Joker kinda makes sense.

Unless we actually get one of those Free-Fly coasters in the next few years and that one is named Batman?

It's not a true Six Flags park until it gets a Batman: The Ride.

Just to clarify to the more anti-speculative folks: I'm not trying to stir unreasonable speculation, my post was merely based on an observation. I know it wasn't implied, but let me be clear that I think a re-theme or repaint would be far off and, frankly, isn't going to happen soon.

Saw more people playing Pokemon Go than not playing Pokemon Go at the park yesterday.

I assume it's a gym in Pokemon Go. Sure wish I had a smartphone that was able to run it. But the game destroys battery life (screen, gps, wireless data and potentially bluetooth all on) so you'd pretty much need to bring a battery bank.

Saw more people playing Pokemon Go than not playing Pokemon Go at the park yesterday.

I assume it's a gym in Pokemon Go. Sure wish I had a smartphone that was able to run it. But the game destroys battery life (screen, gps, wireless data and potentially bluetooth all on) so you'd pretty much need to bring a battery bank.

It just crashes on my phone.

It's probably for the best. I can focus on Joker instead.

I too wish I could play, but I don't have a phone that supports it yet either.

Just got back from the park, our primary goal today was taking my friend's kids around the park but I did sneak away for 3 rides on Joker.

Joker, Superman, V2, Kong, Voodoo, and Whitewater all closed when I got there. Joker opened later but was only running green train all day. Made for about 40 min waits. Superman and Kong opened later, but it looked to be a while later. V2 looked to have the train on and ride ops cleaning around the station and a maintenance worker doing something with the trains, so it does look like it should open soon.

Last thing: the new sandwich place is LEGIT!! They let me customize a vegetarian sandwich and it was very healthy and tasty. Thumbs way up!

image.thumb.jpeg.70a248ef31f0d255658d0eb39169909b.jpeg

I too wish I could play, but I don't have a phone that supports it yet either.

Just got back from the park, our primary goal today was taking my friend's kids around the park but I did sneak away for 3 rides on Joker.

Joker, Superman, V2, Kong, Voodoo, and Whitewater all closed when I got there. Joker opened later but was only running green train all day. Made for about 40 min waits. Superman and Kong opened later, but it looked to be a while later. V2 looked to have the train on and ride ops cleaning around the station and a maintenance worker doing something with the trains, so it does look like it should open soon.

Last thing: the new sandwich place is LEGIT!! They let me customize a vegetarian sandwich and it was very healthy and tasty. Thumbs way up!

where is the new sandwich place?

Joker had a really strange vibration in the green train/back seat this Sunday that I didn't feel during the preview night or the weekend after that.

That being said, that first drop is so amazing that all four out of four times I've been on it I completely forget what element comes next. It's a mixture of disorientation and thinking for a split second that I'm riding Roar.

Joker had a really strange vibration in the green train/back seat this Sunday that I didn't feel during the preview night or the weekend after that.

Is the front still vibrating, as well?

I would never ride the front seat on Joker.

Is it because the back seat is the best or because the front is so loud?

For me, both though I'd still go on the front. The back two rows are super intense though.

front row is better for me in the morning, back row later in the day as it warms up

I rode Joker nine times today, all over the train. This is my third RMC, after Texas Giant and Colossus. A few things I noticed were:

-It seems to have a weird rattle that I have never noticed on other RMC's. I only felt it when riding in cars four and five (green train) but it had an intense rattle that felt like I was sitting in a massage chair on ultra super max power.

-It does seem to run better later in the day. I know that polyurethane on flat track gives a higher coefficient of friction, so maybe some "warming up" can make a big difference. I also seemed to notice this on Texas Giant as well, but not so much on TC.

-It had a 30 minute wait most of today. That was the longest wait in the park by far, as the park was fairly dead. It had the long wait due to being the newest ride, and the single train operations.

-Though the ending did look intense, I actually think my favorite part is the stretch between the zero-G stall and the first overbank. I liked best the trick-track airtime hill-wave turn-double down-tilted airtime hill stretch the most.

-This one did not seem to be quite as well paced as the other RMC's I have ridden. The overbanks were not quite as well paced as the rest of the ride, and I think I like it better when when RMC sticks to fewer inversions.

It was my 216th roller coaster, and I would consider it for my top ten steel. If I wrote a comprehensive list down, I might be able to decide. For now, I will call it a boarderline top ten, at least in my list.

Thanks your your analysis.

-This one did not seem to be quite as well paced as the other RMC's I have ridden. The overbanks were not quite as well paced as the rest of the ride

I would agree with this except as you said, it runs differently at different times and I have had a few rides where it was hauling the entire course (and less screechy/rattly on these banks too). My last few rides it slowed down a lot in the banked turns but I hope it grows out of it soon.

Just wanted to note it was still running only green train yesterday and had 20-40 min waits all through the afternoon. The crew was hauling, but the line still moved slow. More strict seating assignments, you can ask for a row that isn't already filled but you can't wait for any. They're also getting better at calling up single riders and matching them. Also, they're making a big point to tell people not to pull down the lap bats early and people are still doing it.

I was really impressed with how fast the employees were moving, they all know they have something special with this one and it's important to get as many people on it as possible.