TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^ Hammerhead's still not open either? That was another one that was down when I was there back in March. Very surprising.

Voodoo was open at the time, though you wouldn't have known it, as there was no line; I ended up riding it by myself twice in a row. That was a very strange experience.

At the park now, Joker still closed! The attendant at the entrance says it "might open later today". Not holding my breath though. 6 hour drive from L.A. though grrrr. These things happen though

Please let us know if they manage to get it operating today. Any idea what the problem might be?

At the park now, Joker still closed! The attendant at the entrance says it "might open later today". Not holding my breath though. 6 hour drive from L.A. though grrrr. These things happen though

Please let us know if they manage to get it operating today. Any idea what the problem might be?

They sent a test train about 30 mins ago, been crickets since. Boomerang has also been stuck on the lift for quite a while

20160610_120115.thumb.jpg.8a05da8c4b72211cbf94169807dc90fa.jpg

Joker's open, though only the purple is cycling with people. The green is cycling empty at the moment.

Thoughts on the ride: Definitely more pace than both Twisted Colossus and Wicked Cyclone. Though I think I prefer the layouts of the other two. Joker also vibrated like crazy, more so than WC from what I remember. We rode the front the first time, going to try for the back this time.

Closed again, I wouldn't recommend coming today. It seems like the problem is the sensors on the air gates. They kept telling us not to touch them or the ride would shut down because they're sensitive.

If this is one of the problems or the problem with the ride, this is going to make boarding far worse. They'll limit the people up in the station more and keep everyone in the tunnel or unshade part of the line by the fencing. This will lead to somewhat unfilled trains as they did on the first day it opened for GP/season pass holder exclusive. I always seen people lean or push on the gates at really every ride except maybe Superman.

What's the latest on The Joker situation? Thanks.

It opened a couple times and closed again. Problems with the restraints getting stuck closed/opened. I was lucky to ride it once today. Anyone planning to go this weekend should reconsider if at all possible.

What's the latest on The Joker situation? Thanks.

It opened a couple times and closed again. Problems with the restraints getting stuck closed/opened. I was lucky to ride it once today. Anyone planning to go this weekend should reconsider if at all possible.

Yeah that was a recurring problem during SP preview weekend too.

Damn, its really surprising to hear The Joker is having trouble. Other than LR (which was because of the launch), I don't remember hearing other RMC coasters having trouble. Of course it is not impossible, just surprising.

Damn, its really surprising to hear The Joker is having trouble. Other than LR (which was because of the launch), I don't remember hearing other RMC coasters having trouble. Of course it is not impossible, just surprising.

Wicked Cyclone had the same problem for the first 2 or 3 months.

It's likely a SF PLC thing.

^I think Six Flags does their own control systems, so maybe that could be it? Storm Chaser and Lightning Rod havent had sensor/restraint issues that I have heard of like Joker.
Wicked Cyclone had the same problem for the first 2 or 3 months.

It's likely a SF PLC thing.

Yep. Six Flags has their own in house control engineers, so they're responsible for Joker. IOE does controls for RMC coasters outside of Six Flags, so they did the controls for Storm Chaser and Lightning Rod. I hope SF also notices this and maybe goes to IOE in the future, I'd love to see them get that deal, they're great people and they do great work.

I called the park and Joker is still inoperable according to a gentlemen on the phone who contacted maintenance directly (thank you) and said it was "inoperable." I wouldn't keep my hopes up for this weekend at all.

Hey all, I'm visiting San Francisco later this month and was thinking of taking a trip to SFDK to try out The Joker. I wasn't aware it was having problems until reading this, so I'll keep an eye on things to make sure V2 and The Joker are both open before committing, as I feel it's not worth the travel to the park if The Joker isn't open.

So it seems to be a stupidly long journey from SF to SFDK due to terrible public transport options and timings (can you tell I'm European and not used to that?..), and it'll take ~2 hours each way to travel the ~30 miles to/from the park (ferry then boat). Looks like we can only really go Friday July 1st from 10:30 (opening) and would then have to leave by 18:00 to have a reasonable journey home.

Question is, is that enough time on park for a Friday and give us enough time to do all the major thrill rides, and a couple re-rides on e.g. The Joker, assuming it's open by then? Also, any tips on how to tackle the park and maximise our time there, i.e. which rides to start with before crowds build up, etc.?

^Hopefully the Joker is open by then. It should definitely be enough time to do everything unless the park is randomly slammed, in which case you should get Flash Pass.

I would run to Joker at opening and get a few rides before 12 on that as well as Superman and V2 if it's open. The coaster lines can be "meh" during the middle of the day so usually I get lunch, check out the animals, and do flats or water rides in the middle, then hit Kong and Medusa later in the pm and then back to Joker to finish out your day.

^Hopefully the Joker is open by then. It should definitely be enough time to do everything unless the park is randomly slammed, in which case you should get Flash Pass.

I would run to Joker at opening and get a few rides before 12 on that as well as Superman and V2 if it's open. The coaster lines can be "meh" during the middle of the day so usually I get lunch, check out the animals, and do flats or water rides in the middle, then hit Kong and Medusa later in the pm and then back to Joker to finish out your day.

A lot of the times I go medusa lines are essentially walk on at 4pm especially on weekdays. If V2, joker and superman are all open I assume it'll be better in this and future seasons as well.

I'm hoping that the issues are fixed on The Joker and it opens for good so I can plan a day trip up there. I was thinking of going there next week but I may hold off another week if The Joker is still having issues. Also has anyone been on the new Pacific Rim attraction, and if so how is it?