TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I was the stupidest coaster enthusiast EVER today, but it worked out in my favor.

First ride on Superman of the day I forgot to zip my pocket and realized my phone was gone as I exited the ride. Now this phone is not a smart phone and has been through a LOT but when it falls even 2 feet it splatters into 3 pieces: phone, battery, and back. No way SFDK employees were gonna be able to find all 3 parts, right? Well apparently the employee saw it fall into the flash pass line and retrieved all 3 parts. In addition, this guy remembered meeting me at opening day of Superman!!

He comes to us after I get the phone back and says, "So you know we have a height restriction of 150 feet because the airspace above the park is military airspace? Well when you lost your phone, I saw it fly up. Your phone went into military airspace before crashing down into the flash pass line at 60mph." Surprisingly, the thing is still in one piece, but won't turn on.

Later, it started raining, so we went back to the car to get jackets and I realized, strike #2, I also lost my car keys. Now I'm stuck at SFDK on a cold, rainy day with a cough and cold, no medicine or cough drops, no jacket or working phone. Thankfully, my friend let me borrow his phone to call for reinforcements, but they would not be able to arrive until after 6, which is when we THOUGHT the park closed and I would get my keys anyway, until we realized the park closed at 8 today. FML.

My good friend is great but could not stay until 8, so around 4 I was sore and still had a lot of time to kill.

After spending about 45 minutes in the butterfly exhibit getting warm and learning about the butterflies, I made my way over to Drench! I sat in my usual spot: splash zone toward the back, and about 10 minutes before the show (with it starting to rain), I was the only one daring enough to sit that close.

Long story short, I got asked to volunteer for the show (YESS!! This is like my dream!!) as well as get to sit in the VIP seat (also my dream!) before going onstage and being the proud and soaked guest to participate in the show.

After the show, I went down and spent time with the dolphins at the viewing glass, taking selfies with them, and then getting soaked by them again before it was time for my reinforcements to arrive. As I was leaving, I learned that my keys had been found, so I retrieved them, met my reinforcements for the second pair of keys, and then finally drove home very wet and tired (but satisfied) after 7:30.

Also, shout out to the enthusiast we met today who is now a bonafide registered TPR member!

IMG_2992.thumb.jpg.52e4df5d553994c3e86ad276141362af.jpg

Beautiful blue butterfly

IMG_2994.thumb.jpg.4b2e054b6cf563f6e1781868dcbb0e0a.jpg

Best seat of the house! Moreso on a sunny day...

IMG_2999.thumb.jpg.e41fe2193ef5fbf97e131e7fb3cd93b7.jpg

ALWAYS wanted to do this!

IMG_3007.thumb.jpg.a9c4e705b1b4bf0bc74da69dfc195d34.jpg

About to get soaked

IMG_3009.thumb.jpg.274471ca22258e23f4bce600c6dd09f8.jpg

SOAKED

IMG_3023.thumb.jpg.91ce8fb4c274c81fe15b77e07f78f1e3.jpg

Dolphin selfie!

Video of the dolphins enjoying an umbrella

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Glad that everything worked out. It was a bit maddening to be able to see the keys right there, but we couldn't do anything about it. Sorry that I couldn't stay longer, but I'm also glad that all your problems got solved. I'm especially glad that you got to be a volunteer during Drench. You must have been over the moon about that one.

Also, shout out to the enthusiast we met today who is now a bonafide registered TPR member!

I second this. I was glad to meet him (though we never got his name). Whoever you are, we look forward to seeing you posting in our humble little SFDK thread soon.

I was the stupidest coaster enthusiast EVER today, but it worked out in my favor.

Still seems like an overall win to me after reading your telling of it. Lol.

I once was the dumb enthusiast on Superman as well and left my phone in my back pocket. I felt it slide out mid-ride and was hating life the rest of the ride...however SOMEHOW when we got back to the station, I saw it sitting in my lap. Bummer your phone didn't get so lucky.

Glad that everything worked out. It was a bit maddening to be able to see the keys right there, but we couldn't do anything about it. Sorry that I couldn't stay longer, but I'm also glad that all your problems got solved. I'm especially glad that you got to be a volunteer during Drench. You must have been over the moon about that one.

I was so beside myself dizzy with excitement that when I stepped onto that stage, I actually thought I might fall into the water.

And it's weird that they somehow got the keys before park closing (I guess they went in there for someone else's keys and found mine when they were there). I was on the other side of the park for a while but it never seemed to be raining hard enough after that first stint and after those poor people got stuck on the brake run of Medusa to warrant the ride closing. Not sure if there was a "delay in operations" or if they just went in there anyway?

Still seems like an overall win to me after reading your telling of it. Lol.

I once was the dumb enthusiast on Superman as well and left my phone in my back pocket. I felt it slide out mid-ride and was hating life the rest of the ride...however SOMEHOW when we got back to the station, I saw it sitting in my lap. Bummer your phone didn't get so lucky.

I once lost my driver's license, friend's [expired] license, season pass, and debit card on Superman when I forgot to button my pocket. I saw them all fluttering away during the barrel roll. Since then, I can't go through that barrel roll without hanging on because I still feel like something of mine is going to fly off. This time, I believe it was the first airtime moment that did it and thankfully I didn't realize until later so the rest of the ride wasn't ruined. I've NEVER lost anything on any other coaster.

At least my phone wasn't a very expensive phone and I was due for a replacement anyway. It survived falling in the toilet at Busch Gardens but it hasn't been quite the same ever since. I guess I can say it was worth it to A. ALWAYS make sure my pockets are zipped and buttoned on that ride and B. have an excuse to get a phone upgrade.

Yeah, Superman is definitely the worst coaster I've ridden for ejecting things from your pockets. The big launch over the top will shoot things out and if that doesn't work the barrel roll will dump the rest. I've found the front pants/shorts pockets are a pretty good place to put things you don't want to fly out. The restraints naturally hold the pockets shut and then during the barrel roll you're basically hanging by your knees so again nothing can come out of there.

Still, when I remember to I usually put my phone in a little zipper pouch inside my pocket and then chain that to my belt loop just in case. With those stupid new plans that the wireless companies have now if I lose my phone I'd have to keep paying them for it in addition to buying a new one at full price.

1320657520__32.JPG.c83b37aca4126f807702d3494700dbdd.JPG

Something like this. I use a couple key chains to secure it to my belt loop in case it comes out of the pocket.

With regards to phones on coasters, I highly recommend the SCOTTeVEST brand. Their clothes have about ten trillion pockets each, almost all with zippers. No losing your phone, iPad, wallet, or anything else!

Note: I have not received compensation, financial or otherwise, for plugging this brand of pricey vests with a bajillion pockets. I just wear mine all the time now and think others might want to know about the brand.

The website is www.scottevest.com. Mods, feel free to remove the link if I have violated the forum rules by posting it.

Well, after a nearly-four year hiatus, I have decided to return to roller coaster enthusiasm. I was indeed the enthusiast who has been mentioned in previous posts.

I took my first trip to SFDK last week and again today for the first time in nearly five years and was very impressed. Superman definitely impressed me and the other coasters I went on, Medusa, Kong, and Boomerang all seem to running at their respective bests. The Joker's construction is progressing just as well as has been reported, and the workers braved the rainy weather today in order to continue construction. I found Dare Devil to be fun as well, so I'm glad the put it in. I also noticed that one of Medusa's trains has just finished refurbishment and looks excellent.

Oh, and here's who I met today: =)

IMG_0237.thumb.JPG.c33aa8e4b2df7cb4cf5cf73959e81358.JPG

Fred, owner of RMC.

Well, after a nearly-four year hiatus, I have decided to return to roller coaster enthusiasm. I was indeed the enthusiast who has been mentioned in previous posts.

I took my first trip to SFDK last week and again today for the first time in nearly five years and was very impressed. Superman definitely impressed me and the other coasters I went on, Medusa, Kong, and Boomerang all seem to running at their respective bests. The Joker's construction is progressing just as well as has been reported, and the workers braved the rainy weather today in order to continue construction. I found Dare Devil to be fun as well, so I'm glad the put it in. I also noticed that one of Medusa's trains has just finished refurbishment and looks excellent.

Oh, and here's who I met today:

Awesome! He seems like such a genuinely nice guy!

Is the park normally crowded during Spring Break? I plan of attending the park on Friday and I'm hoping it won't be too crowded due to Spring Break. Also, to those who just recently went, I noticed on the website that some rides such as Vertical Velocity, Hammer Head, and White Water Safari are temporarily closed (I'm assuming due to the construction happening for next season). Are these rides actually closed or is the website just not updated from a previous time? Thanks for the help.

^Vertical Velocity wasn't operating due to routine maintenance yesterday and almost certainly won't be when you go on Friday either. Hammerhead should also still be down due to maintenance. Also, Boomerang wasn't going as of last visit. It was running on the 13th of this month but suddenly closed within one week later. I would not expect it to be operating, though.

As for crowds, Friday - Sunday tends to be the more busy portion of the week, with Saturday being the most crowded, but I haven't been on a Friday in a while so I would just say expect crowds, but not for it to be too crowded beyond belief. Of course, getting to the park early and, should you prefer, The Flash Pass can help the situation. I hope this helps a little.

Edited by ABW

SFDK is one of those parks that can look insanely busy when you arrive with the parking lot completely full, yet have 30 min or shorter lines for all the coasters. Perks of being a family park and having other attractions to draw crowds away from the lines. Medusa and Kong were both running one train when we were there on Sunday so that could affect things. Still wouldn't get a flash pass if I were you since the lines clear up a lot after the sun goes down. You should have no problem.

Also, White Water Safari was not closed on Sunday. All three water rides were running despite the frigid weather. Tazmanian was down when I passed it (with a sign saying the attraction was temporarily closed) but I saw employees over there so I'm not sure if it was closed because of the weather or a maintenance issue or if it is closed all week.

Boomerang and Sky Screamer are operational as of today, as is White Water Safari. As far as planned closures, you can count on Joker for construction and V2 for its annual refurb. Beyond that, all Major rides and attractions should be operational.

Enjoy your Adventure.

Thank you everyone for the responses. It's good to hear that aside from Vertical Velocity and probably Hammerhead the majority of the rides will be open. I'm especially excited for White Water Safari to be open because over the past couple years I have had season passes and very rarely have I had a visit where all three water rides were open.

As for crowds and Flash Pass I don't think I'll every buy one for Discovery Kingdom. Aside from Bring a Friend Free days or special days such as cheerleading days in the park, I have pretty good luck with crowds. Usually Superman and White Water Safari are the only rides with long lines and Medusa can be a walk-on, so I always take my chances. I look forward to seeing how Joker construction is going (I may or may not be able to get a few pictures) and hopefully everything will work out.

Oh, and here's who I met today:

Oh, man, that's so awesome that you got to meet Fred!