TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I made the mistake of going on a bring a friend free day and it was so incredibly busy. Half the food places were closed, so the waits were so incredibly long. We waited 40 minutes for chicken strips. I definitely won't make that mistake again.

I don't think that BAFF days are inherently bad. I've brought friends on such days in December and January, and each time the park was a ghost town. I think yesterday's clusterf**k was more due to being the last BAFF day, so everyone was trying to utilize that coupon before it expired. Also, the fact that season passes were the same price as a day's parking and admission during the flash sale last fall resulted in tons of season passes being sold. I'm guessing that the combination of those two factors lead to the insane crowds present yesterday. Just another thing for me to file away in my lifelong quest to avoid crowds.

I've still not adjusted to seeing the missing strip of paint on the track for the wheels on this years RMC installations. I feel like I'm watching construction of a relocated coaster lol!

Even with it being a busy day for SFDK, it still wasn't too bad. We rode Superman once, about a 30 or 40 minute wait I believe, Kong was only about 10 minutes and Medusa toward the end of the day probably about 10 minutes. This is with Roar and V2 closed (as well as a few flats) mind you, so less rides to disperse the crowds. The food lines definitely looked the worst because those move so slow.

Compare that with what Magic Mountain had on the same day. SFMM might have better coasters but I'd rather wait 10 minutes for Medusa than 3 hours for X2 on a day when I just wanted to chill out with my bring-a-friend.

Sunset pic of our favorite SLC my sister took on my device

Awesome shot of Kong, I love it! Going have to have to make this a wallpaper on one of my devices.

Is anyone thinking of making the trek up North before or after West Coast Bash to ride this beauty?
Ill definitely be over there riding it the very first day I can get on it, whether it be a promo shoot or a pass holder preview.

Sunset pic of our favorite SLC my sister took on my device

Awesome shot of Kong, I love it! Going have to have to make this a wallpaper on one of my devices.

Is anyone thinking of making the trek up North before or after West Coast Bash to ride this beauty?
Ill definitely be over there riding it the very first day I can get on it, whether it be a promo shoot or a pass holder preview.

Oh, I will try to make it to the park for the same (promo shoots, pass holder previews, etc), but I was thinking specifically before or after West Coast Bash. Ya know, for any out of state/country TPR'ers that want to take advantage of being in California for WCB.

I really like that RMC makes minor (but better!) changes to the track layout when building (as compared to the concept video). It makes for some nice surprises to an already fantastic looking coaster.

And nothing against them, but when Cedar Fair builds a B&M, the track work in real life is 99.99% like the concept art, so while it may be a great ride, the construction is far less interesting because it is extremely predictable.

From the Newsletter today:

How to Ride Kong the Right Way

If Kong doesn't scare you, you're riding it all wrong. When you board, sit in the front so you can look at this gorilla in the eyes.

The only way to tame this giant is to scream as loud as you can.

SFDK subtly recognizing that Kong might beat the crap out of you, especially in latter rows?

If Kong doesn't scare you, you're riding it all wrong. When you board, sit in the front so you can look at this gorilla in the eyes.

SFDK subtly recognizing that Kong might beat the crap out of you, especially in latter rows?

Came here to post this, but I guess I'll show the headline of it.

i.imgur.com/k6PNTJc.png

SFDK subtly recognizing that Kong might beat the crap out of you, especially in any row?

Fixed that for you

I thought I remembered reading here a while back that the park was getting a new restaurant, a sports bar type. Can anyone confirm this? I was at the park Sunday and didn't see anything. Where is it supposedly going?

This is from the website:

New menu items and more dining locations

Over the next few months, we’ll be opening the doors to three great new dining spots at the park. You’ll be able to enjoy classic Asian favorites like fried rice, egg rolls, and orange chicken at the all-new Chop Six Fresh Asian Cuisine. You can pick up a fresh sub sandwich at the upcoming Take Six Sandwich Shop. Additionally, dine on delicious smoked BBQ favorites while watching your favorite sports games this spring at JB’s Sports Bar and Grill. - See more at: https://www.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/newsroom/new-at-park-in-2016#sthash.QlQ1dRFR.dpuf

When I went to the Joker tour, they mentioned it as well. However, I forgot where it was going.

^^It's over in the building that used to be a Famiglia's pizza. Which didn't make sense because they already had a Famiglia's pizza counter to the right of the Panda Express. There also used to be a ColdStone on the side of that building and wayyyyy back in the day a Subway.

^NEW SANDWICH SHOP?!?!?

"Dear Six Flags gods, please give us a vegetarian sandwich option!!"

^^It's over in the building that used to be a Famiglia's pizza. Which didn't make sense because they already had a Famiglia's pizza counter to the right of the Panda Express. There also used to be a ColdStone on the side of that building and wayyyyy back in the day a Subway.

^NEW SANDWICH SHOP?!?!?

I saw that side cold stone store open last season a few times. not often, but it was. (I go look at the outlet store often.)

^NEW SANDWICH SHOP?!?!?

You're to funny.

Hmmm, hate against veggie peeps. Not nice.

You'll all pay for this.

I'd gladly take the roasted turkey legs over a vegan option that only serves to take food away from the animals in the park. Should get the fish n chips next time and eat it in front of the fish tank.

(but darn that no food and drinks sign.)

Well, last Saturday proved to be a much better day to visit the park than a BAFF day. It was cold and threatening rain, which meant low crowds. After 11 rides on Superman and 3 on Medusa (which was a 1-2 train wait for the front...even with 1 train operation), I decided that I had made up for my disappointing previous visit. After 2 hours, the rain started, and I took off. Not, of course, before grabbing a couple of photos of The Joker. The outward tipped airtime hill (which looks gorgeous, by the way) and subsequent overbank turn are completed. There wasn't any track in the parking lot, so I assume they're now prepping the support structure for the double airtime hill coming up next. Since it was cloudy, the lighting wasn't exactly ideal for photos. And, since it was such a short visit, I opted to leave my camera in the car and just used my iPhone camera. Just a couple of pictures, but they help show the progress that has been made in the past two weeks. Enjoy.

-Doug

IMG_2080.jpg.12f8177b2cf40e23c6a84b9df4a07964.jpg

Here's the outward tipped hill in all its completed glory. The sequence is now: Breaking Wave Turn, floater airtime hill, outward tipped airtime hill, overbank turn.

IMG_2082.jpg.569953361d04f8669a17c51c2bfaaad8.jpg

The overbank turn from the main gates. Unfortunately, neither photo allowed for an unobscured shot. Still, you can get the idea of what's been done.