TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I went to SFDK last Sunday. The crowds weren't too bad. I got a half dozen rides in on Superman, one on V2, two on Medusa, and one on Kong. I finally tried Dare Devil for my first time. It certainly feels way too much like a carnival ride, but I enjoyed myself. It was undeniably fun. I enjoyed my day. However, I find it hard to get as excited about going as I usually do, as everything seems so underwhelming compared to what's coming our way next summer. Speaking of which, I checked out Roar/Joker to see the progress. Some track has been removed. Track has been removed from below halfway down the first drop to about half way up the entry into the first turnaround. Part of the drop after the second turnaround has been removed as well. I saw one crane onsite. That's about all I could see happening. I'm looking forward to when they start installing track, but it doesn't seem like it'll be any time soon. I attached some pictures of what progress has been made thus far. Enjoy.

Roar1.jpg.7e5292d16f9182cdad296c3bbc739dbf.jpg

First drop getting ready to get significantly steeper.

Roar2.jpg.2e387b50426bd162f5e46b696e2ab8ca.jpg

Yay, you won't hurt anymore! Though, to be fair, the recent retracking did wonders for the bottom of the first drop.

Roar3.jpg.c8cd503f0bd0370826c885f02a1a8315.jpg

A view of deconstructed Roar from next to the station.

Roar4.jpg.f7361ecb17d80802a013eb263329fccb.jpg

A closer look.

• 2 weeks later...

Went today (Sunday) in order to ensure that we could process our season passes and end up with gold ones & parking before the November 1st deadline as our schedules weren't going to allow us to go any time in the near future.

It was hell on earth.

Between the cheerleading competition, plenty of families wanting to process their passes before said deadline and folks arriving for the late night haunts of Fright Fest, the place was PACKED. Parking lot was quickly nearing capacity when we arrived before the noon opening and the endless stream of cheerleaders heading towards Superman around noon was very disconcerting. We've gone to this park nearly a dozen times the previous two years and never had to wait more than twenty minutes for a coaster with the exception of one or two rides on Kong. In short, it's usually dead on Sunday. And I mean, dead.

We also had attended during the cheerleading competition day a year or two ago and despite the large crowds over at the lake front pavilion, very few from that event actually seemed to want to check out the rides, making Roar that day's lengthiest line at a mere fifteen minutes. Today, it seemed everybody involved with this event wanted to get in ride time making this probably the busiest non-summer Sunday of the year.

We got in and decided to check out the Dare Devil Chaos Coaster for the first time. Wait time was about twenty minutes. The ride? Nothing more than a torturous carnival experience and certainly NotACoaster. Between the train disappointingly being moved around the loop by a conveyor belt, the stomach churning g-forces near the bottom of the loop and the blazingly hot sun (the weather report totally blew it), this was one attraction and afternoon that made sure I'll never even remotely consider riding it again. Heck, even the ride's operator called Hammerhead this ride's predecessor which once again proves that it's NotACoaster.

Medusa was at least an hour long line and was in the process of having just broken down when we walked over to it. The crowd sizes made Kong and the swing ride out of the question as well. Keep in mind that we're used to barely waiting at all for these attractions and have ridden them an endless amount of times over the past two years, so almost nothing was going to get us to wait more than twenty minutes for 'em.

We got to the other side of the park and noticed the soul crushingly long line for Season Pass processing near the front, but at least V2 was a walk-on and as fun a ride as ever. Superman looked doable when I had taken a peek at the line (just one lane coming out of the door), but in actuality, there were four lanes wrapping around from the ride's front, making it about a forty minute wait time at least. Ugh. We got all the way there and then fled.

We then sat in processing for about forty minutes in the hot sun and went home. A total waste of time and I can't help but imagine that a lot of families are going to end up using their passes far less frequently simply because they had a rough day today when in actuality you can attend the park almost any Sunday outside of the summer (and maybe spring break) without any real crowds. I mean, it's gotta be a little disheartening to try and get the whole family there at opening and there's already a massively long line for Medusa as six hundred cheerleaders have flooded the ride before noon.

Luckily, we've done it all enough and live a mere half hour away that it wasn't the worst experience of my life (or even at this park given a nightmare day of crowds many, many years ago), but it was just another bad feather in the cap of what had been a horrible morning and afternoon. My only hope is that the great value of the Six Flags Season Pass hasn't become less of a secret because neither of us want to bring friends on what were previously dead days and have to wait in line an hour for Medusa or have the park just be a massively populated area no matter what once The Joker arrives. At the very least, we'll get some good Magic Mountain action mid-week in May when it's totally dead down South, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed with today's godawful crowds, once again proving that no theme park is worth it when crowded.

I was unforntantly on the same boat yesterday hoping to get my season pass processed and check out fright fest, only get have one of the most poimtless visits ive had at the park. I totally forgot about the stupid cheer leading thing and almost walked right back to my car the moment I saw one of the uniforms, but I went ahead anyway. After waiting about 30 minutes to get my season passed processed (Which turned out to be a bit pointless because they calmed that the cut of date for gold passes was pushed back to December, but this being SF you never know), I tried to get a wristband for the mazes only to find that they weren't offering the VIP passes for some unexplained reason, and I wasn't about to spend $20 just to stand in line most of the night. So I just walked around the park trying to find something that wasn't an hour long wait, which ofcourse was impossible so I left. I'm going to guess that the lines might mellow a bit once the Joker opens since I think Roar being closed has to do with the longer lines.

^ & ^^ Sorry to hear about your lousy visit. My wife actually asked me if I planned on going yesterday (I go roughly every other Sunday during the "off" season). She looked at me funny when I told her that I wasn't, then understood when I said "damn cheerleaders". Sucks to hear about the annoying crowds. Fortunately, that should be about the last of the Sunday crowds. November through February/March is magical...like your own, private ERT session.

Heck, we've hit up spring Sundays that weren't near spring break and even Sundays in late August and it was basically quiet. People who don't go to theme parks often look at us weird when we say there's absolutely no lines there and that they should come with us some time for free ("surrrrrrrrrre there aren't any lines..."), but really there are absolutely no freakin' lines at DK on Sundays outside of the peak season. Kong with its single car with two seats per row is the worst of the coasters in terms of lines, usually, and rarely is it any worse than ten minutes. Medusa is usually a few cars wait, same for Superman. V2 is a walk-on, Roar is often a few cars wait at most. Boomerang is a walk on (yeah, as if that's worth bragging about).

As for Roar being closed, it hardly leads to a big increase in lines on off days. Not everyone that would be in line for it is necessarily going to be in line for a coaster at that same moment, and even if they were, it would add a couple trains wait or two to the more popular coasters. Yes, Joker arriving will lessen the other lines a bit, but it's also going to bring a ton of people into the park as this will be their new flagship ride.

But, I mean, if it does lead to Sunday's being way more populated and 20 minute waits for a lot of these coasters, that's still a livable experience. This past Sunday was a friggin' nightmare.

After waiting about 30 minutes to get my season passed processed (Which turned out to be a bit pointless because they calmed that the cut of date for gold passes was pushed back to December, but this being SF you never know)

Not only did they not inform people of the changed date (to the best of my knowledge), but they were telling people that they could get a special pass and come back before December after people had reached the middle of the line. Right, so I just spent 20-30 minutes in line to get my pass processed and I'm just going to leave this line and force myself to have to come back before another deadline and then have to sit through some sort of line again to finally get it processed? Um, no thanks, the twenty minutes remaining from that point to the processing area will do just fine.

Honestly, you can't make this stuff up.

^ & ^^ Sorry to hear about your lousy visit. My wife actually asked me if I planned on going yesterday (I go roughly every other Sunday during the "off" season). She looked at me funny when I told her that I wasn't, then understood when I said "damn cheerleaders". Sucks to hear about the annoying crowds. Fortunately, that should be about the last of the Sunday crowds. November through February/March is magical...like your own, private ERT session.

yeah, when i took my friend with me and my dad on a BAFF day in like jan or feb it was foggy at the start of the day at SF:DK but it was a really light day given it was BAFF and all. Very fun time to go.

processed my past yesterday, Sunday the 25th of october. they handed me and my friend the 2016 booklet of discounts and more importantly BAFF days.

Here's the list:

holiday in the park 2015: Nov 27th, 28th, 29th. December 6th, 13th, 20, 27, 28,29, 30. (dear god i'm already bored.)

BAFF in Jan/Feb 2016: Jan 10, 24, 31 or Feb 7, 21, 28

BAFF May/June 2016 : may 31st, june 1, 2 ,3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, ,13, 14, 15

BAFF August: 8th 9th and 10th.

BAFF Select sundays: august 28th, September 11th or september 18th.

GOLD season pass members get a BAFF any Tuesday in july.

(done quicker then I expected)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Me and my friend got into the park sunday at like 2:30, it was a rather busy day and we showed up over a hour late because freaking Highway 12 was closed. It will be this coming weekend (30th to the 1st) Friday - early Monday as well, both directions. So take highway 4 if your in san joaquin county.

We get our lunches off my dining passes (2015 and 2016 ones)

Medusa Twice, Sky Screamer once.

got our wristbands (25 each with season pass in the park)

got salted pretzels while waiting for nightmare manor to open.

hit all 6 mazes

got dinner did our 2nd ride on medusa and left.

We took I-80 to Sacramento then cut I-5 south to go back to stockton and oakdale. Just getting to I-5 took like 35 mins then 40 from Sac to Stockton.

i went to SF:DK with my dad and his friend since they both needed to get their promotional gold season passes processed. Some staff in the season processing said the deadline was extended to the end of december. Anyways they couldn't process passes at the gate, they could only scan tickets and passes even the finger print readers were down.

As soon as I got in, I filled my green 2015 cup with ginger ale at the free style machine then did two rides on Superman. After that it was only water water safari and then a ride on cobra because medusa was about a 30+ min wait at 4;30 pm.

there were at least 75 people still waiting to buy tickets among others at will call/guest relations when we left at around 7:30 pm. the fair grounds lot was at least a quater full with a line of cars stopped on the fairgrounds road waiting to get into SF:DK. Insanely busy night for them, more so for season pass processing as that line never got less then 75 people after 3 pm.

Wow, the colors on those track pieces really pop! I've been really impressed with what Six Flags has done with SFDK lately. They got the first Premier Sky Rocket II in the world in 2012 and then a custom RMC in 2016. Most parks would kill for one of those coasters in that time frame, yet SFDK got both of them. There's such a huge population base in NorCal that I think SF sees the opportunity to be the premier park in the region and they are going for it.

^not as short as Goliath and I still really liked Goliath.

I'M SO DOWN FOR THIS RIDE. I can't believe they're already shipping track! This is still so surreal to me. If this even has 2 moments of great airtime then it's gonna be soooo much better than Roar. And I love the inversions too!

Roar as it is now is already ten times better than what it was before. But now that RMC is going to dramatically change the skyline of this park when driving up will get a lot of people excited for what's in store for them.

It'll be awesome to see how fast this bad boy goes up, it may look short as well but I feel like it could pack a big punch.

Maybe get there for a promo shoot if they have one.

Roar as it is now is already ten times better than what it was before.

I know you're more then likely joking about that, but I liked roar. Not even to be the second idiot who wore a "save roar" shirt on it's closing day, but enough to be on that final public train where we got 3 laps in.

-------

I was planning to go next Wednesday but, it's veterans day and just learned that now. so federal holiday, that means the park is going to be at least a little bit busy. Last year they were opened for a day before vetran's day and it was really light. The park was dead until like 1-3 pm that day. They also gave veterans and their families double ride bracelet's, for all rides.

but this year it's just free tickets for vetrans, so likely not worth the trip.