TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Does anyone know what the operating status is of White Water Safari? The last 4 times I have gone to the park, it has been closed for Maintenance. Am I just picking the wrong days, or has this ride been closed for a while now? Thanks in Advance.

Very likely closed for the drought/(aka operating costs, my Theory). in 2014 after I got my pass in the labor day sale the first time I went it was closed and they were building up the walls on the platform for fright fest. I'm willing to bet it wont be open again for the 2015 season and it's been down since like mid july. it's always a somewhat popular ride but that thing uses a LOT of water and they can't recycle that water forever. What I don't get however, is why the hell is that first waterfall *always* on when the ride is closed and devoid of water.

pre-lifts aside, i'm interested to see the first GCI ironhorse, consensus is that GCI's age poorly. "i predict this will be the first of many."

I could see Hershey's Wildcat or Gwazi being the next RMC'd GCI's

i think your on point about Gwazi, i don't think it would still be standing if there wasn't any intent of reuse. "Twisted Tiger 2017" "that would be beautiful." something like that is precisely the direction sea world owned parks need to go, "to get right back on the financial track."

pre-lifts aside, i'm interested to see the first GCI ironhorse, consensus is that GCI's age poorly. "i predict this will be the first of many."

I think you're right-on, here! Assuming there are four 2017 RMCs, I wouldn't be surprised if those 2 are among the group, and their respective parks' next "new" coaster! Of course, it may make more sense for 2018 to be RMC Gwazi, as they are getting a new coaster in 2016 already. But there is a good chance we'll know by 2017 if it's happening! I also have a feeling that 2017 will the first foray by CF into the RMC market!

^ Hershey converting Wildcat into an RMC makes too much sense for them not to do. Great location for people driving into Hershey to see along with the fact it will give them a new coaster without having to use the limited amount of land they have left. I know Hershey previously bought new property but that won't be ready for use anytime soon.

They tend to close White Water Safari during the non-summer months...like, as far as I know, my gf and I went only one time when we knew it would be open (a mid-August Sunday that surprisingly wasn't crowded) and had the chance to ride it (and of course, it happened to be a chilly day). All of our other visits specifically had us avoiding the summer, and thus, the ride wasn't open. It's just not nearly hot enough in Vallejo in the off-summer months to run it although it's kind of ridiculous that they tend to turn it off in September in order to set up Halloween stuff...perhaps the muted crowds by that point mean they don't care to have it on and spend all that money running it, but it's usually more than warm enough in that month.

The key entrance reason for the finger-stuff has finally been revealed due to their new policies. Basically, they no longer need people's photos on the season passes because they can just use their fingerprint. I think it's partly a security measure to crack down on low lifes from potentially trying to use the same passes (like letting your similar looking brother use it one day because they'll never tell with the grainy photo). For those that actually use lockers or take their passes back to the cars at lunch time (or for whatever reason) it allows you to get season pass perks without having to carry the cards around...so there's that too.

Isn't it just the older GCI's that aged poorly? I thought the only really bad ones were those that used PTC's.

I think it has to do with the heavy PTC trains and the local weather. The former killed Wildcat and Roar East (SFA has done their best to keep it decent though, to their credit), the latter has killed Apocalypse, and a combination of the two killed Gwazi.

I apologize, not a press release, but an article in USA Today. Can't seem to copy and paste here from my phone, but the article is quoted in the Six Flags Corporate Discussion thread

yeah i saw it here on this link: http://www.myfoxzone.com/story/29960992/new-rides-announced-for-six-flags-over-texas-fiesta-texas . At the end of the Joker's description it says that the "Joker will also include unique features based on its Batman branding. For example, riders will brave "Harley Quinn's Tunnel of Fear," an underground section that will be filled with fog, lighting, and sound effects." I'm just wondering where it's going to placed.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but this sounds more like the queue line theming than something on the actual coaster. Like the Batman:the Ride queue.

OH YES OH YES OH YES PLEASE LET THIS BE THE CASE.

There would finally be an RMC within reasonable driving distance!

OH YES OH YES OH YES PLEASE LET THIS BE THE CASE.

There would finally be an RMC within reasonable driving distance!

This x1000. I'd love an RMC so close by.

Back on topic, maybe they'll add the tunnel last minute like with Leviathan. Just a thought. I'm aware that this is SF we're talking about by the way

I apologize, not a press release, but an article in USA Today. Can't seem to copy and paste here from my phone, but the article is quoted in the Six Flags Corporate Discussion thread

yeah i saw it here on this link: http://www.myfoxzone.com/story/29960992/new-rides-announced-for-six-flags-over-texas-fiesta-texas . At the end of the Joker's description it says that the "Joker will also include unique features based on its Batman branding. For example, riders will brave "Harley Quinn's Tunnel of Fear," an underground section that will be filled with fog, lighting, and sound effects." I'm just wondering where it's going to placed.

I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, but this sounds more like the queue line theming than something on the actual coaster. Like the Batman:the Ride queue.

I'd be fine with that too, since its less work needed to be done on the coaster itself. I want this thing to be open ASAP.

Went to the park yesterday. Bring a friend free day. Oops. Big mistake on my part. Parking was in the fairgrounds lot. My son and I did Medusa, Superman, and V2 in about 2 1/2 hours and left.

Yep, that sounds about right for the late august/September BAFF days given my experince with them in 2014 and 2015. You got 2015 and 2016 pass users all vying to use it. This sunday is the last in this round of BAFF not to mention being the parks first GLBT day as well.

Watch out for the cheer jamz thing during like the two middle sundays of fright fest. Maybe I just find it annoying but I never had a good time when I accidentally encountered those.

Went to the park yesterday. Bring a friend free day. Oops. Big mistake on my part. Parking was in the fairgrounds lot. My son and I did Medusa, Superman, and V2 in about 2 1/2 hours and left.

Yep, that sounds about right for the late august/September BAFF days given my experince with them in 2014 and 2015. You got 2015 and 2016 pass users all vying to use it. This sunday is the last in this round of BAFF not to mention being the parks first GLBT day as well.

Watch out for the cheer jamz thing during like the two middle sundays of fright fest. Maybe I just find it annoying but I never had a good time when I accidentally encountered those.

Is attendance typically pretty strong on weekend at SFDK or just during special events? I haven't been there in years, but I always assumed it had lousy attendance given that it has seemed very neglected in the ride department after that initial blast of Medusa, Roar and the impulse coaster in a short period of time.

I've had times where I have parked in the fair parking lot so you would assume it's crazy busy but when I got in the park, V2, Medusa, Roar would all have 10 minute waits. Not sure why but this park is very deceiving when it comes to crowds on midway vs ride queue lengths. Maybe it's just me.....

I wouldn't say the park is poorly attended at all, but its also much more than a coaster park. The patrons tend to skew more toward younger children, and they hit up the kiddie areas, the flats, and the animal exhibits. Medusa is rarely more than a 20 minute wait, V2 is rarely more than a 3-4 train wait, and Superman tends to be around 30 min. Roar used to be the coaster with longest lines, because younger children could ride.

Is attendance typically pretty strong on weekend at SFDK or just during special events? I haven't been there in years, but I always assumed it had lousy attendance given that it has seemed very neglected in the ride department after that initial blast of Medusa, Roar and the impulse coaster in a short period of time.

In truth, SFDK never had much of a drought investment of capital...

2003 brought Zonga, 2004 and 2005 brought their trademark Killer Whale show and Ocean Discovery (the large bulk of the marine life attractions), 2007 brought the Six Flags Discovery Kingdom full purchase of the park at $16 million rebranding, 2008 brought the Gerstlauer spinning coaster and Holiday in the Park, 2009 brought Odin's Temple of the Tiger (to date the largest draw in the park besides the dolphin shows), 2010 brought Dolphin Discovery, and 2011 and 2012 brought SkyScreamer and Superman.

The injection of so much ride capital in the beginning (see five coasters from 2000-2005) left much to be desired at the park given that height restrictions placed all the coasters in the front of the park and the early wildlife attractions were lacking. Until post rebranding around 2009, SFDK never felt like much of a park. Given that there isn't much competition in the Bay Area for new thrills ::cough:: CGA, nuff said ::cough::, I'd say SFDK has done a surprisingly consistent job.

I never elected to go saturday's just because I think it would be more crowded then sundays and during spring/summer I try to go monday-thursday if I can. Anyways I for once can ride their coasters many times over, so i'm sure others can as well. Even with roar gone they still got 2 really good coasters 1 decent coaster and 2 vakoma's.

on top of that you got the animal encounter stuff and those shows. There's zero reason to be bored at SF:DK on a normal operation day. so the only thing that throws a kink in that plan for me is 1. not having a idea on what to do while there or 2. the park is really filled up with guests.

Id be far more bored with CGA simply because they only got two coasters I want to ride and both are in the front area of the park and after that the only animals in the parks are well, people.