TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

After seeing Lightning Run, and considering SFDK has no other full size non-inverting coasters, I think Roar may end up not having any inversions, but rather a poo-poo load of airtime instead. The linked YouTube has pretty much zero chance of even being close to what we get haha. An inversion before the lift hill? Come on man.....

That would be ideal, but realistically, this is Six Flags and RMC. RMC does inversions very well, and Six Flags (come to think of it) hasn't installed a full size steel coaster without inversions in quite a long time. Was Texas Giant the last time? That would be a little ironic.

Your post has me very confused. You said that they haven't installed a full size steel coaster without inversions in a long time. Then asked if the wooden Texas Giant was the last one?

Ohh. After further reading I am assuming your taking about the NEW Texas Giant. My bad

Edited by grsupercity

After seeing Lightning Run, and considering SFDK has no other full size non-inverting coasters, I think Roar may end up not having any inversions, but rather a poo-poo load of airtime instead. The linked YouTube has pretty much zero chance of even being close to what we get haha. An inversion before the lift hill? Come on man.....

That would be ideal, but realistically, this is Six Flags and RMC. RMC does inversions very well, and Six Flags (come to think of it) hasn't installed a full size steel coaster without inversions in quite a long time. Was Texas Giant the last time? That would be a little ironic.

Your post has me very confused. You said that they haven't installed a full size steel coaster without inversions in a long time. Then asked if the wooden Texas Giant was the last one?

Okay... NEW Texas Giant. Was that the last time?

I fully support the idea of Roar not getting any inversions because SF:DK has enough. In a average day at SF:DK you could spend literal mins being upside down if you add up the time throughout the day. More so if you go on hammerhead, dare devil and Tasmanian devil.

But, if six flags does let them put in inverison asks for some. then in 2017 we should expect the ark ride to get OTSR's and powerful engines to flip that thing upside down.

New Texas Giant was 2011... That wasn't THAT long ago. I don't know what we'll see, but considering the audience that frequents SFDK skews younger, I wouldn't be shocked to see no inversions, and would definitely be OK with it.

As much as I do prefer coasters that focus more on airtime and positive Gs than inversions, RMC does a really good job with inversions. They are smooth, transition well, and provide some pretty funky airtime type feelings. I wouldn't mind at all if Roar had one or two inversions similar to the barrel rolls on Outlaw Run or the Zero G on Iron Rattler

As much as I do prefer coasters that focus more on airtime and positive Gs than inversions, RMC does a really good job with inversions. They are smooth, transition well, and provide some pretty funky airtime type feelings. I wouldn't mind at all if Roar had one or two inversions similar to the barrel rolls on Outlaw Run or the Zero G on Iron Rattler

I don't doubt they are good. However as said quite a few times Roar is the only major coaster at the park without a inversion. I'll more then likely be happy with whatever RMC does with it. Provided CGA isn't like "Psych! Grizzly RMC'ed, get lost SF fans!" and SF just replaces Roar with a SCAD or some sort of up charge ride.

I just want airtime and Wallruns.

RMC personnel were at the park on Sunday. Saw them in the area between Roar and V2 with some type of survey equipment-

If that's the case. I wonder if they'll still have one of their fright paths there this year. In the 2014 season they had one behind V2 in the monsoon falls backstage area. It was also one of wristband paths if I recall right. However it was the worst out of all of them.

This.

I get the feeling those of you saying Roar shouldn't have an inversion is because you haven't tried an RMC inversion yet. Definitely different! If your reasoning is that it would make it worse for families with little kids scared of loops... Sorry, this is gonna be the wrong coaster for those types of people. SFDK will have to get a family coaster for that. If your reasoning is you want a thrill ride without inversions... I don't think you'll be disappointed if Roar does have them and I think it will.

This.

I get the feeling those of you saying Roar shouldn't have an inversion is because you haven't tried an RMC inversion yet. Definitely different! If your reasoning is that it would make it worse for families with little kids scared of loops... Sorry, this is gonna be the wrong coaster for those types of people. SFDK will have to get a family coaster for that. If your reasoning is you want a thrill ride without inversions... I don't think you'll be disappointed if Roar does have them and I think it will.

Agreed! To add to this, it's not like the lack of inversions will magically give Roar a lower height requirement either. It's a weird thing to rally against here. I have full trust in whatever the mysterious coaster gods over at RMC will grant me for 2016!

This.

Agreed! To add to this, it's not like the lack of inversions will magically give Roar a lower height requirement either. It's a weird thing to rally against here. I have full trust in whatever the mysterious coaster gods over at RMC will grant me for 2016!

I agree as well. If Six Flags is bringing in RMC, then it won't be to make a gentle family coaster. Whatever happens to Roar, it will be an intense thrill ride...inversions or no inversions. It's just what happens when RMC modifies an existing wooden coaster.

I'm not sure anyone has said they don't want inversions or would be upset if there were inversions. I said I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't, and that I'd be OK with that. I saw pretty much the same sentiment from other posters. Being OK with no inversions is pretty far from asking for a "gentle family coaster." I think we've all seen what RMC does, and most of us have ridden at least one of their creations.

Gonna be in SF for the weekend and figured I'd make a stop at SFDK before heading back. How busy does the park get on Sunday's? I'm guessing it might be a little more crowded with It being Roar's last day. Is a flash pass necessary?

Sundays arent usually busy at all, but it could be quite a bit busier on that day with a lot of people going for Roar's last day. Still doubt you'll need a flash pass, I never have.

Discovery Kingdom sent out an email today that they'll be unveiling an "unbelievable announcement" on 9/3. RMC announcement sooner than I expected -hype-

Very nice! Actually, every Six Flags park will announce their 2016 plans on that date, so it's no real surprise... But it is still very exciting to hear!

After watching that POV, I really can't wait to see what RMC can do with Roar's layout. I imagine it would be Wicked Cyclone-ish, but you never know!

I'm expecting it to be crazier then Cyclone since Roar has many crossover areas, 22 according to SF:DK's facebook page. but I assume that counts that pre-lift hill stuff.