TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

^Well, there's always the EXTREMELY slim possibility that La Ronde's woodie will get RMCed

No there's not.

Speaking of Roar RMC, I called this a month or two ago, and no one believed me. It's funny how almost everybody's mind has changed since then. I get it, who would've expected back to back Cali RMCs?! Im really excited for the layout release anyway, I'm hoping for blue or yellow track cause the park has enough red and orange, but we will see! Just 6 weeks or so now!

Here is my brief report from my visit on Thursday. The weather was overcast is drizzles here and there. The main goal was to get the missed credit on Roar after activating my dad's pass. Needless to say that goal was achieved. Maybe a shocker but it had the longest line of the day. We rode back row. It worried me a bit that it sounded liked a jackhammer but over all it was not that bad. It did get a tad worse as it went on but overall was pretty relentless until near the end. Afterwards we headed for Superman which was just about a walk on, grouper asked us if we wanted front or back and since we rode front last year, back it was. Despite riding it last year my dad still hates that barrel roll and started regretting it as we got going. Overall solid ride and the airtime is of course best in the back. On the way out we hit up the the bumper cars. Would appear that cars had been taken off since the last time which was nice and gave more power of course. Overall, a great day, minimal crowds too bad we couldn't stay longer.

Medusa was a skip, never liked it the first time.

Sounds like the loop was closed but we never went to that area.

A nice surprise, but sounds like the last time we'll be on it.

And always a great ride, shame Six Flags never copied it.

The photogenic skyline.

Just out of curiosity, does your Dad not like the barrel roll because it scares him, or because it nauseates him?

Or wear cargo shorts/pants with velgro or zippered pockets. Thats the only way for me

Also, ALT2870, what don't you like about Medusa? I'm not trying to be a crazed fanboy or tear you a new one or anything. It's just that I've never really heard of anyone who did at least "Like" it. So I'm just curious.

Did anyone else get the "villain" survey last night? Wonder what it means? I keep telling anyone who will listen (so myself basically) that they need to put in a Bizarro themed Double Shot or something similar. Ideally, it'd be like Tower of Terror where you are "randomly" launched up or down. Dig a 25-50 ft hole back between Roar and Superman near the park entrance to give it some additional height.......... A man can dream.

Did anyone else get the "villain" survey last night? Wonder what it means? I keep telling anyone who will listen (so myself basically) that they need to put in a Bizarro themed Double Shot or something similar. Ideally, it'd be like Tower of Terror where you are "randomly" launched up or down. Dig a 25-50 ft hole back between Roar and Superman near the park entrance to give it some additional height.......... A man can dream.

SFDK could really use a drop ride to round out its flat rides, but the problem is the 150ft height limit. Most drop towers are at least 200-300ft tall, so I don't think a 150ft drop tower would excite anyone. Your idea of going into the ground for a longer drop would help solve that problem, I just don't know how feasible it is to dig a 50 foot hole.

SFDK could really use a drop ride to round out its flat rides, but the problem is the 150ft height limit. Most drop towers are at least 200-300ft tall, so I don't think a 150ft drop tower would excite anyone. Your idea of going into the ground for a longer drop would help solve that problem, I just don't know how feasible it is to dig a 50 foot hole.

Isn't the larson drop tower 140 feet? And they pack a punch

There are lots of great towers out there that aren't that tall. Those crazy Larson towers, S&S towers can be made to be about any height, or how about those Fabbri towers that shoot you down rather than just drop you? Any of those would be perfect for the park and would provide a great ride.

Or wear cargo shorts/pants with velgro or zippered pockets. Thats the only way for me

Also, ALT2870, what don't you like about Medusa? I'm not trying to be a crazed fanboy or tear you a new one or anything. It's just that I've never really heard of anyone who did at least "Like" it. So I'm just curious.

To me it is just another cookie cutter B&M, once you ride one you ride them all. I'll admit at least they have the sea serpent role to try to make it unique.

As for the pockets, he quickly figured that out.

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Prepares to Silence the ROAR

Popular Wooden Roller Coaster Closing for Good

VALLEJO, Calif. – July 16, 2015 – Six Flags Discovery Kingdom today announced that its iconic wooden roller coaster, Roar, is set to close on Sunday, August 16, 2015.

Guests and fans can ride Roar one last time from 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. on August 16. After that, the ride will be permanently closed.

"We are a dynamic and evolving entertainment venue,” said Don McCoy, park president. "Although Roar continues to be a guest favorite, sometimes hard choices must be made to allow for future expansion.”

Roar opened in 1999 amidst a major revitalization effort, with several new shows and attractions, restaurants and shops opening simultaneously. Since that time, an estimated 11 million guests have experienced the 10-story coaster featuring six reversals, 22 crossovers, 17 turns and 12 breathtaking drops, in this 55 mph ride that was named for the thunderous roar of a California sea lion.

Roar is a traditional wooden roller coaster featuring a 3,467 foot-long wooden track.

Officials have not announced any plans for an attraction to replace the coaster.

A special fond farewell to Roar will include a series of events for guests and Season Pass holders, the highlight of which will be a special last rider event coinciding with National Roller Coaster Day on August 16.

roar.thumb.jpg.bf7f27c13ba71c28b2e613d655794b75.jpg

1756067406_Roar_SixFlagsDK.thumb.jpg.5c052cddc9bf4147cebbb9ca491e4373.jpg

Edited by robbalvey

Roar to be silenced August 16th!

So we'll finally hear the end of it?

Two RMCs in Cali confirmed

Not quite, but we're inching towards it. This only confirms the ride is closing, not what will be taking it's place. I'm sure we'll have confirmation next month, and I have no doubt it will be RMC. Anyone else notice though that Roar is closing on the exact same day that Colossus did?

To me it is just another cookie cutter B&M, once you ride one you ride them all. I'll admit at least they have the sea serpent role to try to make it unique.

As for the pockets, he quickly figured that out.

I can agree with you on that one, many of b&m's floorless coasters have the same basic layout or at least a similar layout to either Kumba or Dragon Khan.

Also, can't wait to hear what becomes of Roar next year!

I know I haven't seen this mentioned yet, so I thought I would ask everyone's input. How likely do you guys think a RMC I-Box of Roar is for 2016? I ask because I have recently heard a rumor that Roar will be closed mid-season this year. One can hope, right?

Personally, it sounds unlikely to me after SFMM receiving Twisted Colossus for 2015, but the two parks aren't really that close, I'm sure 95% of visitors to each park aren't even aware of the other park. I know it's currently every park's fan-boy dream for their wooden coaster to get I-Box, but I can't help it! It would easily be the best coaster in NorCal if true!

Let the idea sit for now, and maybe in a few months, we will see more information come out.

Here's my rumor, posted on June 4th. We all seemed skeptical at the time, but more than a month has passed since and look where we are! I can't wait until 8/28 or so, when we find out what the layout of this beast will be. I have some ideas, but there's so much potential with a GCI layout to begin with!

the two parks aren't really that close, I'm sure 95% of visitors to each park aren't even aware of the other park.
I think you're half right. SFDK is my home park and the one that I visit often, and very very commonly I hear GP in the park talk about their visits down to SFMM. A lot of them are probably like me, they drive to SFDK all the time and once or twice a year drive the 6-7 hrs down to SFMM. I think there are significantly less people whose home park is SFMM that know about or care about SFDK.

Perhaps with a new RMC, there could be a West Coast Bash North and do SFDK, CGA, and SCBB? I would be all over that.