TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I feel like I am the only one around who feels that an RMC of Roar is a bit of a waste. Keep in mind that I've done absolutely ZERO research in price comparisons, but I feel likely their money would be better spent on a dark ride that would better round out the park. It really does feel to me that the park is slowly gravitating away from a family park and focusing too much on the thrills.

But hey...maybe a 2017 RMC of Giant Dipper? I kid! I kid!

I feel like I am the only one around who feels that an RMC of Roar is a bit of a waste. Keep in mind that I've done absolutely ZERO research in price comparisons, but I feel likely their money would be better spent on a dark ride that would better round out the park. It really does feel to me that the park is slowly gravitating away from a family park and focusing too much on the thrills.

But hey...maybe a 2017 RMC of Giant Dipper? I kid! I kid!

I feel like you're the only one too... I don't go to SFDK for dark rides or flats or even the zoo area, I go for coasters. I don't claim what the parks best interest is or where their money could be "better spent." All I know is that this will 100% get me (and probably a lot of other guests) back out to the park, where most other things wouldn't. Their decision here is great for someone like me, and if it causes me to visit and support their park, which is good for them. I honestly don't care about it being a family park. But maybe that's just me.... (And probably a lot of other guests)

Problem is, a lot of people bring famalies. I, for one, have rarely visited a themepark without my family, and same with my friends. They do have the Marine shows around, meaning that they probably still target families. You alone (or any enthusiast) dont make a dent in the attendence.

I just watched the Roar pov. Considering Six Flags will probably Wicked-Cyclone that first hill, and make it a stall, I have no interest in RMC Roar. An ejector hill there would be amazing.

Edited by RollerManic

I just watched the Roar pov. Considering Six Flags will Wicked-Cyclone that first hill, and make it a stall, I have no interest in RMC Roar. An ejector hill there would be amazing.

What are you even talking about?!?! You have NO IDEA what the layout will be...

This idea that families don't ride roller coasters together seems a bit overstated. My recent visit to SFNE showed otherwise as Wicked Cyclone's queue was packed with excited families. That's the thing, most families visiting a SF park expects plenty of thrills to go along with more traditional family fare.

A. I'm pretty sire everyone has had acces to knowing the layout of Roar since 1999... Yeah, Roar as it is NOW.

B.

I'll repeat myself... You have ZERO CLUE what RMC will do with Roar's layout. They could put in some elements you've NEVER even dreamed about. To say you're not interested in Roars layout is completely asinine, you have no idea what changes are going to be made. Cyclone is not even a similar layout to Roar, you can't even compare.. Your assumptions are incredibly unfounded. You

I just watched the Roar pov. Considering Six Flags will probably Wicked-Cyclone that first hill, and make it a stall, I have no interest in RMC Roar. An ejector hill there would be amazing.

This is probably one of the most ignorant statements I've read on this site in awhile, and that's saying a lot. You have absolutely no knowledge of what a RMC Roar layout will be. I seriously can't believe one element would detract any enthusiast away from wanting an RMC coaster, a company who only delivers top tier coasters. But whatever, you do you man...

Every ride that RMC has i-boxed has been improved immensely.

The only argument against the i-box is the traditional wood coaster feel being taken away, but it's a sacrifice I don't mind Plus if you're jonesing for sone real wood, Goldstriker is only 45 mins away

Ok. You guys can bash me all you like, but I'm not interested in the ride how I am imagining it. When I imagine it, I look at possible elements and RMC's previous works. The options I foresee lack large, sole airtime hills - which would be sort of true (without adding on a lot of structure) because half of he ride is low to the ground twists. However, nobody knows the layout, so no one can say anything definitive about the ride, including good. Everything now is pure speculation.

It's not that I don't trust Alan Schlike or that he couldn't put airtime into those turns like on Wicked Cyclone. Im just not interested in Roar but the announcement could change this.

And weren't there several people excited for this as (only hopefully) NorCal's airtime machine? Thats the same thing I want out of it - while I am dreading a bunch of inversions. How many RMCs dont have inversions? They're beautiful but are becoming a bit overdone and I am simply wishing for something along the lines of NTAG.

To put this all short: At announcement, if it has a ton of inversions or nothing rather unique to RMC, I am not going to be excited, but if it has a very large focus on airtime, with a large ejector hill, then I'm all in.

Besides, it has been a while since we have seen a large (think Intamin pre-fab) ejector hill on an RMC.

I'll stand corrected: I emailed Lance and he brought up a good point that a surveyor wouldn't really be needed for a GR retracking, but he seems on the same page as me that it may still pop up later this year or next year as a minor project (in terms of work compared to two Iron Horses and a custom Topper Tracker, yes).

Anybody think they'll ship SFDK' MF over to SFA?

RMC has only built seven roller coasters. I think you're getting ahead of yourself to say it's been "a while" since a large ejector hill on an RMC--they've onky been a thing for four years. As for the inversions, the exact same discussion took place when rumors were spreading about Colossus' transformation. I haven't read a single poor (or even average) review of that ride.

Which RMC coasters are you referring to when you say they are "overdone" with inversions? Wicked Cyclone has he most, and it only has three. None of them seem out of place, and from what I've heard only add to the experience and make the ride more unpredictable. The New Texas Giant is the only RMC without inversions, so I think it's very safe to assume there will be at least one, but is that really a bad thing? I have more faith in RMC to make Roar one of the better coasters in the world; at the very least, far superior to what it is today. If you genuinely believe Roar as it stands today will be a better ride experience than an I-box iteration, you need to rethink your life decisions

So one, possibly two inversions is "a ton" of inversions now? That's a big exaggeration don't you think? And if there is one inversion and it makes the ride better, what's wrong with that, would you poo poo on that too? I don't remember reading a single negative review of any of the RMC projects that have inversions... THAT says a lot.

One inversion, two inversions.... so what, you'll still ride it and you'll like it!

^^Yeah, certainly it wouldn't, but thats not helping any for SFA.

Nobody knows if they will, but a zero-g stall could be placed on the first hill theoretically, and IMO that would be pretty predictable and better as a new element. I think that the zero-g stall (in a good way) is becoming RMC's staple.

Maybe RMC flows so well that you think you can expect whats next, but then again its not.

Another thing a bout Roar is all the twisties at the bottom, although its not impossible to make some of those hills, see NTAG.

Ok. You guys can bash me all you like, but I'm not interested in the ride how I am imagining it. When I imagine it, I look at possible elements and RMC's previous works. The options I foresee lack large, sole airtime hills - which would be sort of true (without adding on a lot of structure) because half of he ride is low to the ground twists. However, nobody knows the layout, so no one can say anything definitive about the ride, including good. Everything now is pure speculation.

It's not that I don't trust Alan Schlike or that he couldn't put airtime into those turns like on Wicked Cyclone. Im just not interested in Roar but the announcement could change this.

And weren't there several people excited for this as (only hopefully) NorCal's airtime machine? Thats the same thing I want out of it - while I am dreading a bunch of inversions. How many RMCs dont have inversions? They're beautiful but are becoming a bit overdone and I am simply wishing for something along the lines of NTAG.

To put this all short: At announcement, if it has a ton of inversions or nothing rather unique to RMC, I am not going to be excited, but if it has a very large focus on airtime, with a large ejector hill, then I'm all in.

Besides, it has been a while since we have seen a large (think Intamin pre-fab) ejector hill on an RMC.

Roar has no strong airtime hills and in its current state doesn't hold a candle to ANY of the RMC's out there. At worst, a Roar transformation would be a top 5 coaster on the entire west coast of the country. There would be a high chance of it being a top 10 steel coaster in the entire WORLD, and easily the best ride at the park.

I understand hoping for an El Toro-style camelback, but I just do not understand not being excited for what will be a stellar ride regardless. In the entire WORLD, very, VERY few coasters rank higher than RMC's worst. Northern Californianers would be incredibly blessed to have one in their region as hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts in other areas would kill to have even RMC's worst coaster within driving distance.

Roar has no strong airtime hills and in its current state doesn't hold a candle to ANY of the RMC's out there. At worst, a Roar transformation would be a top 5 coaster on the entire west coast of the country. There would be a high chance of it being a top 10 steel coaster in the entire WORLD, and easily the best ride at the park.

I understand hoping for an El Toro-style camelback, but I just do not understand not being excited for what will be a stellar ride regardless. In the entire WORLD, very, VERY few coasters rank higher than RMC's worst. Northern Californianers would be incredibly blessed to have one in their region as hundreds of thousands of enthusiasts in other areas would kill to have even RMC's worst coaster within driving distance.

I couldn't have said it better, thank you! After riding Twisted Colossus, I can say that I have full trust in anything and everything RMC touches, I can't wait!

I'm happy for SFDK for getting the next RMC for Six Flags, but disappointed that Six Flags isn't doing two. I was thinking probably SFDK and maybe SFSL or SFOG for the next RMC but looks like they have to wait. But then again, Dollywood and kentucky kingdom are getting RMC's for 2016 and they're right in the middle of those two places so that work's out. So with Six Flags only building one RMC, I guess I'm to assume that they may build two 4D fly coasters and two Justice League Dark Rides. I'm hearing SFGAd may get a 4D flyer and SFGAm may get a dark ride. I wonder which other two Six Flags parks will be the lucky winners next year?

It seems like a lot of people are talking like a RMC of Roar (West) will happen yet it's still a rumor, a soild looking rumor but still just that word, rumor.

Anyways if RMC does do anything with Roar I hope for a few air time hills but mostly those extremely banked turns. I already love the banked turns Roar already provides so if they can get it to do a turn nearly completely on a car's side I'd be down for that. Mainly since I doubt i'll ever get remotely close to a line for Outlaw Run.

It seems like a lot of people are talking like a RMC of Roar (West) will happen yet it's still a rumor, a soild looking rumor but still just that word, rumor.

Anyways if RMC does do anything with Roar I hope for a few air time hills but mostly those extremely banked turns. I already love the banked turns Roar already provides so if they can get it to do a turn nearly completely on a car's side I'd be down for that. Mainly since I doubt i'll ever get remotely close to a line for Outlaw Run.

I realize it is just a rumor, but I am 100% convinced it's happening! All of the rumors (most coming from different places) have lined up. I heard three projects for 2016, and then three job listings were posted from RMC. And then from a while ago I heard only one Six Flags project for 2016, and only one state on the jobs list (CA) even has a SF park. And then I also heard a rumor from an employee that Roar was closing towards the end of summer. This is all lining up to me.

RMC saying they have a project in California doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be Roar, as it could be CGA or KBF, but combined with numerous reports that Roar will be closing later this season, plus CGA getting a Vortex/Rougarou and Cedar Fair's CEO stating that he doesn't want to mess with GhostRider, this is about as close to a confirmed fact as a rumor can get...I dont see how it could be anything else. I guess it possibly could be topper on GhostRider, but I doubt it.

RMC saying they have a project in California doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be Roar, as it could be CGA or KBF, but combined with numerous reports that Roar will be closing later this season, plus CGA getting a Vortex/Rougarou and Cedar Fair's CEO stating that he doesn't want to mess with GhostRider, this is about as close to a confirmed fact as a rumor can get...I dont see how it could be anything else. I guess it possibly could be topper on GhostRider, but I doubt it.

Combine it with the fact that there's only on SF project next year and it's not in TN or KY. And there's only 3 projects total.

I couldn't have said it better, thank you! After riding Twisted Colossus, I can say that I have full trust in anything and everything RMC touches, I can't wait!

I feel exactly the same way, RMC is just not going to put out a crap ride. They have probably the best reputation in the coaster business right now and they aren't going to do anything to harm that. If they have accepted the Roar job, then I'm sure they have a plan to make it a killer coaster. I've also ridden TC and it's nothing short of amazing. An RMC makeover of Roar will truly give SFDK a signature ride and make it a must visit for both coaster enthusiasts and the general public.

I feel exactly the same way, RMC is just not going to put out a crap ride. They have probably the best reputation in the coaster business right now and they aren't going to do anything to harm that. If they have accepted the Roar job, then I'm sure they have a plan to make it a killer coaster. I've also ridden TC and it's nothing short of amazing. An RMC makeover of Roar will truly give SFDK a signature ride and make it a must visit for both coaster enthusiasts and the general public.