TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I've see them stack two trains on medusa at the station a lot, though like 95% of time even with that having 2 of them running means really short lines or no waiting longer then 20-30 mins.

Here's a video 1 of my friends shot when we visited the park in 2009 but I'm sure the lack of efficiency still holds true to this day. This video made it to Screamscape back in 2009 and park management got a hold of it and needless to say they were not happy. Sorry for the poor video quality as it was shot using an Android phone.

^I've had experiences at Great Adventure where an entire train was dedicated to about nine flash pass users... there weren't even enough people spread throughout the train that the last two rows were completely empty.

Keep in mind... Bizarro at Gadv had particularly poor operations in 2014 in the first place. With three trains running, I sat on the brakes upwards of four minutes.

(2/26/15) Six Flags Discovery Kingdom has decided to relocate the park’s last two elephants (Liz and Valerie) to the Wildlife Safari park in Oregon, a 600 acre drive-through attraction. They felt that the elephants would be better off in a bigger and more social environment than in the confines of the park’s elephant habitat. Follow the link to see the official Wildlife Safari website.

From screamscape

Has anyone else heard about this? We won't have elephants anymore? I think this shows SFDK really does care about the wellbeing of their animals and I think it's a very noble thing to do to send them where they would be happier (I still miss Shouka a lot but I think that was a good move for her too). Still, it's going to be weird no longer having elephants. The orcas and the elephants were staples for the old Marine World.

We no longer have any of these animals.

What do you think will happen with the old elephant areas?

I just wonder if this is part of a larger move to slowly phase animals out of the park all together. Thoughts anyone?

I think they'll keep the dolphins and seals. If I had to guess what they'll drop next it would be the cougars since they are only in that one little corner near the most rear restrooms of the park. Likely just dropping the high maintenance ones to save time and money and gett better services for their other more mainline animals. Dolphins, tigers, seals, etc.

I just hope they somehow improve the wolf's "den" area since it wasn't built to suit the arctic and gray wolf they have.

I just wonder if this is part of a larger move to slowly phase animals out of the park all together. Thoughts anyone?

It's possible but the animals are a huge draw for the park. I didn't know there were only two elephants left but they have over 20 dolphins and lots more other animals. I could see them getting rid of some of the animals there are less of/less of a draw to but I don't see them getting rid of everything any time soon.

Although it would be really cool to get a ride over there, I feel like they'd be more likely to put another animal show/exhibit in that area. Or maybe a ride/animal exhibit!

It's possible but the animals are a huge draw for the park. I didn't know there were only two elephants left but they have over 20 dolphins and lots more other animals. I could see them getting rid of some of the animals there are less of/less of a draw to but I don't see them getting rid of everything any time soon.

Although it would be really cool to get a ride over there, I feel like they'd be more likely to put another animal show/exhibit in that area. Or maybe a ride/animal exhibit!

When I was there twice over the summer, the animal attractions seemed to be a very big draw for families. Removing them would take away a major advantage that they have over the other major park nearby in Great America.

Are the animals really all that much of a draw? Other than the marine sections (dolphins and sea lions specifically), I have never seen huge foot traffic in the animal areas. One could even argue that Odin's Temple isn't really a DRAW despite the crowds it attracts. Just playing devil's advocate here to a degree, but the back area of the park has always seemed a bit desolate to me.

Maggi and I just landed in SFO. We are headed to the park (Need our coaster fix)

I hope you guy's had a good time, I know the start of the day sucked since we all stuck around the hour it took for them to let passengers onto Superman. The park was light but IMHO the operations on almost everything were bad to seriously bad in my experience.

The Superman Crew didn't even know of the Double Ride event from 11-1 PM in the park.

Edited by Fire2box

Are the animals really all that much of a draw? Other than the marine sections (dolphins and sea lions specifically), I have never seen huge foot traffic in the animal areas. One could even argue that Odin's Temple isn't really a DRAW despite the crowds it attracts. Just playing devil's advocate here to a degree, but the back area of the park has always seemed a bit desolate to me.

That is true, but the dolphin stadium is almost always close to full every show, and lots of people go to watch the dolphins in that tank over near V2. So yeah, it's mainly the dolphins. If they got rid of them, I'd be out!

Although I do think there are enough people who come to the park more for the animals and shows (my parents were two) than you think. I heard SFDK sells the most season passes in the chain just under SFGAdv and SFMM and it's definitely not because of the coasters!

(My sister just told me she once met a dad and little adorable son at Marine World who told her they came every weekend just to see the elephants. AWWW!!)

The Superman Crew didn't even know of the Double Ride event from 11-1 PM in the park.

I was there today and I overheard someone ask the Superman ride op about the double rides thing and he told them they could do double rides but the employees weren't going to ask anyone about it because they didn't want everyone taking double rides. Contrast this to the Medusa crew announcing that everyone could get double rides (Medusa is back to running two trains now, BTW). I did end up getting double rides twice on Superman, so it wasn't a problem, but most people had no idea they could do that today.

Yeah, JeromyL and his daughter were on the "first" train of superman with me. I mentioned the double rides from 11-1 but I guess the felt it wasn't worth arguing about with the ride OP's. I stayed on the train for the second ride but the left rear Ride OP said either "no you're fine" in a exasperated manner, and I get it. I doubt management took *every* ride OP aside or called them and said "yeah, everyone gets double rides until 1 PM."

mismanagement and miscommunication, but I guess that's what we can expect from Six Flags.

Copy of the event from the park website:

I was there today and I overheard someone ask the Superman ride op about the double rides thing and he told them they could do double rides but the employees weren't going to ask anyone about it because they didn't want everyone taking double rides. Contrast this to the Medusa crew announcing that everyone could get double rides (Medusa is back to running two trains now, BTW). I did end up getting double rides twice on Superman, so it wasn't a problem, but most people had no idea they could do that today.

Yeah, that was me that had asked the ride ops about it.... I only had this problem at superman as well. Maggiekat and I still had a decent time. We love the dolphin show too

I forgot to mention, when I was there yesterday I rode Water Water twice. After I go back out to my dad's pickup to get my backpack that had a nearly full set of my clothes and a oversized beach towel. Well I get to security no ones behind me waiting and I already have most of the pockets open so the guard's can inspect it fully. The guard says he legally can't inspect the inside of this huge ass backpack that's just filled with clothing (socks, pants, shirt) and two phone chargers that I forgot to take out.

Just kinda seems weird SFDK has guards and they can't inspect backpacks due to some bullshit law.

I forgot to mention, when I was there yesterday I rode Water Water twice. After I go back out to my dad's pickup to get my backpack that had a nearly full set of my clothes and a oversized beach towel. Well I get to security no ones behind me waiting and I already have most of the pockets open so the guard's can inspect it fully. The guard says he legally can't inspect the inside of this huge A$$ backpack that's just filled with clothing (socks, pants, shirt) and two phone chargers that I forgot to take out.

Just kinda seems weird SFDK has guards and they can't inspect backpacks due to some bullshit law.

I don't think that's a law, I think it's just Discovery Kingdom policy. At Magic Mountain they do inspect bags. They even have a "No Bags/Express" line on busy days.

I forgot to mention, when I was there yesterday I rode Water Water twice. After I go back out to my dad's pickup to get my backpack that had a nearly full set of my clothes and a oversized beach towel. Well I get to security no ones behind me waiting and I already have most of the pockets open so the guard's can inspect it fully. The guard says he legally can't inspect the inside of this huge A$$ backpack that's just filled with clothing (socks, pants, shirt) and two phone chargers that I forgot to take out.

I don't think that's a law, I think it's just Discovery Kingdom policy. At Magic Mountain they do inspect bags. They even have a "No Bags/Express" line on busy days.

Maybe, I've tried to google it and I couldn't find anything. I know when I went to a Baltimore @ A's game last year they checked the girl's pursues. Maybe the guy just didn't feel like checking my bag and mostly correctly assumed it was just clothes. Park was only open for another 2 or 3 hours at that point. A tad bit concerning either way but not enough to make me question my safety in the park.

(It's Magic Mountain that gets the mad bomber anyways, right?)

• 2 weeks later...