TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...
I generally only do Kong if I am visiting with someone who has never been to the park before and wants to ride it. So, inevidably I groan, tell them they will regret it, then get in line.

If anyone has any tips on how to convince others that it is a bad idea, THAT is the advice that woukd really come in handy.

Just alternate hitting the side of their head as hard as possible about 15 times, then kick them in the nuts. Tell them you just saved them 20 minutes in line.

I guess I'm in the minority here...but I'll just put it out there. I kinda like Kong. It's not my favorite, but it's worth a 20 minute or less wait. I don't get banged up when I ride it and I never really thought about how NOT to get banged up. I just ride it and try to keep my head from hitting the rails. The first drop is fantastic.

I'm disappointed. But it's cool. I expect rehabs. I'll have a good time I'm sure. Any recommendations for food (outside the park). Our hotel is next to SFO, so we will have plenty of places in between to find food...

I'm disappointed. But it's cool. I expect rehabs. I'll have a good time I'm sure. Any recommendations for food (outside the park). Our hotel is next to SFO, so we will have plenty of places in between to find food...

The most convenient place for food outside the park is the Carls Jr. that's across the street. (You can actually sit and watch Medusa trains while you eat your burger, which is kind of cool) Carls Jrs can vary quite a bit in quality, and for what it's worth this is one of the better ones. If you dont mind hopping in the car and going one exit down the freeway there are a few more options over in Gateway Plaza.

Tons of options if you are considering everything between SFDK and SFO. The one that stands out to me is great, if you like Chinese food and don't mind taking a little stop in Oakland's Chinatown. Shan Dong makes amazing food, the highlights being their house made dumplings and hand-pulled noodles. I've never had chow mein that good. It's mostly on the way, just a bit of a detour. Could make a good dinner option after your day. As for stuff in Vallejo, I can't help you there. I always bring food with me and eat in my car when I get hungry.

There's a Black Bear diner across the freeway (I-80) from the park. We often have breakfast there before a day at the park. It's really good.

In nearby Berkeley, Chez Panisse is the birthplace of the local food movement. Make a reservation though. 'Berzerkeley' is not as difficult to drive in as San Fran, and there are a lot of cool little places. You could even take the bart to the airport from there.

Had a great day at the park for my first visit. Clear, sunny day; chilly in the morning but nice in the afternoon. Crowds were light and lines were basically non-existant on any rides. Park was clean, nicely themed, good attention to detail (mostly), employees were generally upbeat and positive. A Six Flags outlier.

Roar I found surprisingly addictive. After riding the SFA version, I'd had no desire to reride, and didn't. This one I did not want to get off. The retracking must have made a major difference. There were still many piles of wood sitting within the ride footprint. Cannot believe I'm saying this, but I may have enjoyed it more than Apocalypse or Gold Striker. Strangely, the cooler morning rides seemed a bit wilder than the warmer afternoon rides.

Hammerhead and Thrilla Gorilla were the real surprise flats for me, both outstanding. TG is like a Matterhorn/Musik Express but with a lot more Tumble Bug-ness to it, and much more thrilling than a Matterhorn. Hammerhead is Zamperla's (prototype) version of the more common Fabbri Kamikaze. It was a MUCH more enjoyable ride than the Kamikaze I've ridden. Voodoo (TopSpin) ran a better program than I remember at Great Adventure, starting with a triple backflip right out the gate. I still need to ride one of these on the Euro fair circuit where they go nuts with them. Their scrambler is called Scat-a-bout. I feel like this is a subtle but apropros double-entendre, considering the massive dump the elephant next door had just taken. Thoughts?

SFDK V2 > Wicked Twister / SFGAm V2. Flattening the spike out gives this a whole new personality. If this ride were to twist another 180 degrees before coming to the pause on the twisted spike, it would be NUTS. That would just be a sick amount of intense hangtime.

Coaster Tally: Medusa: 3 - Kong: 2 - Cobra: 1 - Roar: 5 - V2: 2 - Boomerang: 1

Flats (one ride on each): Wave Swinger, Hammerhead Shark, Scat-a-bout, Thrilla Gorilla, Voodoo, The Ark

IMG_1234.JPG.2a2510f8342754adba061db149b0e221.JPG

The Skyline. Getting very excited right about now!

IMG_1241.JPG.b06c51b6d0ea085211f37f0d9319ee9a.JPG

I tilted the camera. So this is.... artistic.

IMG_1249.JPG.3dba19d12d67ef8ef653536e471d05ae.JPG

Ever notice how distinctly Foghorn's waddle resembles.... well.... balls?

IMG_1266.JPG.fae00c5122f4a3cc8b4ae1e235065fc4.JPG

Slowly.... backing ... away.

IMG_1276.JPG.51b46e503785335618315ce6fd126774.JPG

Getting out of the Scrambler is the WRONG way to ride the Scrambler!

This warning sign has its own warning sign on it. So meta!

IMG_1283.JPG.49fca07e88178abb72618d41044becac.JPG

Roar's sign is literally a 3/4" piece of plywood onto which someone went a little crazy with a circular saw. Then painted and let to fade for a decade and a half, it appears. Most of the other signage in the park was outstanding.

Edited by ejot

Roar I found surprisingly addictive. After riding the SFA version, I'd had no desire to reride, and didn't. This one I did not want to get off. The retracking must have made a major difference. There were still many piles of wood sitting within the ride footprint. Cannot believe I'm saying this, but I may have enjoyed it more than Apocalypse or Gold Striker. Strangely, the cooler morning rides seemed a bit wilder than the warmer afternoon rides.
The retracking really did make a huge difference. I rode it right after it reopened and it was just worlds better. It's certainly better than Apocalypse (which is sad, cause it shouldnt be) but Gold Striker is still the best woodie on the west coast.

SFDK V2 > Wicked Twister
The hell you say! Maybe it's just nice to ride one thats different than what you're used to, because I've ridden V2 many times and I thought Wicked Twister was far more exciting, plus it has a much better backdrop.

Glad you had a great time despite SUF being closed..too bad though it's a great ride, you probably would have loved it.

The first time my friend went with me this year (Edit: err, back in September a few weeks after i got a 2015 gold pass) to SFDK, we were eating lunch near the tigers. Saw people stand to close and get sprayed.

Edited by Fire2box

I'm with you on this one. I really like Roar. I shouldn't, it's rough, but I have so much fun on it. I find it to have a dynamic layout, good floater air, and great laterals. The re-tracking has certainly made a huge difference. The bottom of that first drop was murder...much better now. Before the re-tracking I usually didn't ride more than twice in a visit. Now, I'll do a half dozen and still want more. And, yes, I also have noticed that cooler weather makes for faster, wilder rides. I had a night ride on it in December that was an absolute delight. I didn't expect to be out of my seat so much. Loved it.

Glad you had a good time. Come back when Superman is open to get the missing piece of your SFDK puzzle.

It's always nice to see someone's fresh opinions of SFDK. Did you go to any of the shows? They're pretty cool too if you're into that.

I've only ridden Wicked Twister once and V2 SFGAm once and I liked them a lot because they were fresh and different, but I had the feeling that if I rode them a lot more times so the freshness wore off, I would like our V2 better. So I kinda agree with you.

I also like Roar. Haven't ridden it since the retrack (might go soon though) but I still liked it even when it was rough, although I didn't like the bottom of the first drop! It really has some surprisingly fun moments.