TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

Just go straight to the turnstiles.

This.

Also the first 2015 perk rewards are up (for SF:DK at least)

i'm trying to make plans for a friend to tag along with me on feb 1st, since most people will be at home/parties watching what's going to be a meh super bowl with another forgettable half time show that lasts all too long.

I think I know the answer but someone shared on Facebook that you can BAFF on Sundays in January and February and I was wondering if I could still take advantage of this even though I got my Gold Pass at Magic Mountain

EDIT: Sorry I didn't look closely enough at the post before mine. I'm guessing it's a SFDK-only perk, I've never had this issue because I've always gotten my Gold Pass at SFDK but this year I got it at Magic Mountain

Just to let you all know: Superman is down for annual maintenance for 6 weeks. It should be back up and running on the weekend of 2/20. This is from a park representative.

Thanks for the heads up. I might be going Sunday so I'll probably just check out the animal sides of the park and maybe finally ride kong.

Just to let you all know: Superman is down for annual maintenance for 6 weeks. It should be back up and running on the weekend of 2/20. This is from a park representative.

Thanks for the heads up. I might be going Sunday so I'll probably just check out the animal sides of the park and maybe finally ride kong.

Good luck with that concussion.

I'll be there as well this Sunday...probably giving Medusa lots of love. Perhaps I'll wear my TPR shirt. If you see me, come say hi!

If you get a concussion on Kong it's your own fault. Kong can be ridden painlessly if you want to.

Please share your secret. All of my Kong rides have been nothing but pain and regret.

I'd love to know too. The rattle of my brain isn't bad but my ears hurt like I had overly tight headphones on for like 4 hours from my head slamming into the OTSR's.

Also I'll wear my Oakland A's shirt, pretty sure me and my friend will be the only one's in them at the park. Have been the only one to wear oakland A's shirt's after the A's season died after the wildcard in Kanas City, from what I've seen.

My plans are to check out the animals first, go see the depressing fish/shark exhibit (looks much more run down then from 2010) hit roar, bumper cars, then medusa and kong.

Edited by Fire2box

If you get a concussion on Kong it's your own fault. Kong can be ridden painlessly if you want to.

If there's a "secret way" to ride a coaster to avoid a concussion, then it's a piece of sh*t.

True but that's besides the point. Whether or not it's "right" that you have to do it, I'm going to do it because I'd rather ride the coaster and enjoy it than get beat up or not ride it at all.

The painful part of SLCs like Kong is where the train goes into a turn and your head slams sideways one way or the other into the OTSR pads which are hard as hell. The forces will naturally throw your head into the opposite side of whichever side you are turning into; so on a left turn your head hits on the right and vice versa.

The trick is to just "turn into" each turn with your head. Right before a left turn, turn your head to your left so that the back of your head is pressing against the right part of the OTSR. Right before a right turn, turn your head to the right so that the back of your head presses against the left part of the OTSR.

Since I've started doing this on Kong, I haven't hit my head or ears once. Again I know you shouldn't HAVE to do this, and if Kong were a smooth coaster the world would be nice and perfect, but that's not realistic. Turning my head one way or the other is to me a pretty easy way to enjoy a fun layout on a coaster that would otherwise be painful.

The same strategy works on almost any coaster with headbanging, but fails spectacularly on Revolution down at SFMM..don't try it there.

SFDK only has a few coasters as it is, it's not Magic Mountain where I have 18 other coasters to choose from. If I can do something as easy as turning my head to make a painful ride a painless ride, then I'm gonna do that instead of just not riding it. I'm not concerned with the principle of whether I should have to do that, I want to enjoy as many coasters as I can.

SFDK only has a few coasters as it is, it's not Magic Mountain where I have 18 other coasters to choose from. If I can do something as easy as turning my head to make a painful ride a painless ride, then I'm gonna do that instead of just not riding it. I'm not concerned with the principle of whether I should have to do that, I want to enjoy as many coasters as I can.

Yeah with Superman down apparently Roar, V2 and Medusa are the only good ones. But I still haven't ridden Kong while visiting that park like 8 times already on my 2015 pass. I have gone up to it twice but never enjoined the look of the line.

If it's running two trains then it moves pretty fast, as long as there arent more than 2 or 3 switchbacks filled I dont mind waiting 15 mins or so. Even I wont wait a long time when its running one train though...

Yep, I think it's only ran one train whenever I went up to the line to take a peak. Didn't the entrance use to be right up along the wheelchair ramp to get up the hill/to the 3D action theater.

I generally only do Kong if I am visiting with someone who has never been to the park before and wants to ride it. So, inevidably I groan, tell them they will regret it, then get in line.

If anyone has any tips on how to convince others that it is a bad idea, THAT is the advice that woukd really come in handy.

I generally only do Kong if I am visiting with someone who has never been to the park before and wants to ride it. So, inevidably I groan, tell them they will regret it, then get in line.

If anyone has any tips on how to convince others that it is a bad idea, THAT is the advice that woukd really come in handy.

Queue for the same the row with your friend. When the gates open you enter first, then walk right through and wait for them at the exit.

Coming from the east on I-80 was ultra foggy over the hill/mountain at like 1:00 pm.

Me and my friend managed to see all the animals we wanted, rode medusa twice, roar twice, kong once in Row 2, keeping your head tucked into the turns helped a bit but still a bad ride. We did sky screamer once and we soaked a few people on the bridge exit of monsoon falls with cannon 3. Really light crowds, Medusa was a walk on on our second ride and we got 3 rounds of bumper cars in before they closed.

Edited by Fire2box

If there's a "secret way" to ride a coaster to avoid a concussion, then it's a piece of sh*t.

Omg huge point right there.

I still somewhat like it for some strange reason and I ride it almost every time I go if the line is short. I just brace really hard and put my cheek into the OTSR to prevent ear bashing, I think sometimes I just brace hard enough I don't even do the cheek thing, and I'm developing theories about the optimal weather conditions to ride it. Lame, I know, and it's still so erratic that I never know if I'll come off regretting the ride or thinking it was great

Every once in a while someone asks and I try and help someone by telling them this I always get "Just dont ride!" "You shouldnt have to do that!" I know, I realize that it sucks that you need to do anything to make the ride not hurt you, and I realize that if you don't ride it you can't get hurt by it. I understand that, and if you don't want to ride it, awesome. That is your choice, and thank you for making the line that much shorter.

Me, I want to ride anything that I can ride without pain. Regardless of whether I should have to, I don't think that turning my head one way or another is a particularly difficult task, and if that's all I have to do to essentially add another coaster to my list of rideable coasters in this park, I would much rather do that than skip it and only have 4 coasters to ride instead of 5. (Boomerang is not on that list, though I ride it occasionally and always wonder why I did) I'd prefer that they replace it with something better and less painful, but that's not something I can control.

There are rides where you can't do anything to stop how much it hurts you, such as Boomerang, Ghost Rider, Revolution, X2, Desperado, Manhattan Express, or Hades 360. Those rides will kick your ass no matter what you do and the only option is to not ride. At least with Kong I can simply turn my head either way and turn a painful ride into a painless one.

^I agree. And everyone is different, some of the coasters you just mentioned don't hurt me. IDK if I have a higher tolerance for rough coasters or if I just have the right bodily dimensions/good luck that I don't get beaten up as much. I definitely can tolerate notoriously rough steel coasters better than notoriously rough wooden coasters (The last time I rode GhostRider was absolutely intolerable). There's like nothing you can do with a rough woodie.

Sometimes I just don't even understand how two people can ride the exact same coaster at the same time and have two different experiences on it. I really dislike Riddler's Revenge and find it really rough, but the last time I rode with my friend she thought it was smooth and pleasant while I thought it was trying to kill me. In general, I can brace better than my friends so I generally have a better impression of my rides on Kong than they.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Hey, does anyone have or know of a list of the songs they play throughout the park at the various shows, areas, etc? I was able to Shazam a few of them. I want to put together a playlist for my special-needs son who is obsessed with the park.