TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

they should get a drop tower before a coaster! Even if it is only 150 feet. Plus drop towers don't use up that much space, especially when comparing it to the amount of space a coaster takes up.

They still can.

This addition doesn't really fit Discovery Kingdom. They just got a superior looping coaster not too long ago so an inferior addition seems pointless. They also have a flat ride that loops around. And this isn't really a coaster, its an oversized Ring of Fire. At least Magic Mountain is getting Twisted Colossus.

I wont complain about it if it keeps more people away from medusa, roar, superman and sky screamer.

People already ride Boomerang and Kong and I have little idea as to why.

they should get a drop tower before a coaster! Even if it is only 150 feet. Plus drop towers don't use up that much space, especially when comparing it to the amount of space a coaster takes up.

I do think a drop tower would be a nice addition to the park; in fact, an ARM-Larson tower would fit almost perfectly in terms of height! However, one could argue that the location of CGA's Drop Tower and SCBB's Double Shot (relatively) near SFDK would mean that a drop tower is a less likely addition.

For the record, I would love to try one of those ARM-Larson Super Shots

I'm of the opinion that every park needs a drop tower. I've said this before, but even a 150ft double shot or intamin Ballistic Tower themed to Bizarre would easily fit near S:UF kind of behind Roar. Ideally, I'd like to see them somehow put the tower in a 50 Ft hole so we can bypass the height restriction a little bit. That may just be an unrealistic dream of mine though.

I also agree that this park NEEDS a dark ride. Maybe for 2016?

This addition doesn't really fit Discovery Kingdom. They just got a superior looping coaster not too long ago so an inferior addition seems pointless. They also have a flat ride that loops around. And this isn't really a coaster, its an oversized Ring of Fire. At least Magic Mountain is getting Twisted Colossus.

I wont complain about it if it keeps more people away from medusa, roar, superman and sky screamer.

People already ride Boomerang and Kong and I have little idea as to why.

Sometimes I just feel that my brain needs a little scrambling, ok?

Here is a trip report for Labor Day, September 1. My friend and I did most of the rides, including all the big ones. The new Tsunami Soaker ride was a fun one - got absolutely drenched on it. My friend didn't like Kong and didn't like Roar at all (I think it was his first time on Roar). Of the two, he thought Roar was worse. On the whole, the lines moved surprisingly smoothly; all were less than 30 minutes I think. We attended the dolphin show, which I enjoyed. (This was my first time doing this.) We also did some attractions where you had to pay extra - ride an elephant, 3 point challenge (just him), Rock Wall Climbing Challenge (just me), Go-Karts, and Sky Coaster (was really scared doing this with him and couldn't keep my eyes open).

I would love to see the 3D theatre taken out and some type of coaster go there. I guess we will have to see what the future has in store.

From what I've heard, it should still be fully functional if they cleaned it up a bit. I really liked the 3D theater when it was open. However, I feel like they should do something with that space soon. It could be the site of a coaster, a dark ride, you name it. It's really the biggest piece of land they have open right now.

Do the roller coasters at SFDK allow single riders?

Thanks

Went there say 9/6/2014. Superman, Medusa and Roar do *not* have single rider lines still. (Why are you doing this SFDK. )

Roar has 1 train, couldn't even see a 2nd train anywhere. Though I got two rides on it front and back within 20 mins of each other around 5:30 pm about 35 mins of waiting total or so. Ride OP joked Santa needed another sleigh over the PA after I asked if it was 1 train only.

Medusa had 2 trains but they were stacking at the station when i went and it was a walk up into the station around 4:15 pm. Maybe 16 min wait at most.

Bumper Cars are down for fright fest setup. A portion of Shark Exhibit (fossil area) is closed off. Made it lackluster.

Massive amounts of cobwebs and grave stones, etc around the path to seal show stadium.

Also Superman was maybe a 30 min wait for me and someone else, maybe a 3:20 pm or so. first time on it, anything but the launcher was kinda forgettable for me but I think it pairs really nicely with Roar and V2 and i don't recall V2 being active at all.

Oh and some person dropped their phone *looked white/silvery) onto the roof of superman from the inversion about 8-10 cycles before my ride.

Do the roller coasters at SFDK allow single riders?

Thanks

None of the rides at SFDK have single rider lines. However, when Superman first opened, I went to the park to ride it. The queue was pretty full, but ride ops were coming out on a regular basis and requesting single riders to fill missing seats. I skipped the line a half-dozen times that day thanks to being a single rider myself. I only saw that on that one day, however. During subsequent trips (and there have been many), I have made it a point to go on quiet days. I never saw ride ops request single riders again, but I never went when there was a long queue. Perhaps someone who has been recently on a crowded day could give more accurate information?

Hope this helps. Really, if you go on a Sunday from now until spring break 2015 (with the exception of the week that they are open around Christmas/New Years) crowds should be low and you would have no need for a single rider line. That's what I do, and it rarely fails me.

^ They dont solicit single riders at all anymore. Its possible they have done it on the really crazy days when the queue is over 90-120 mins, but that only happens a handful of times per year and I stay the hell away from the park on those days.

Generally the Superman crew are rock stars anyway, you walk up to it and see the lower queue practically full and realize there's only one small train and you think you'll be there all day but it only takes 25-30 mins because they're so efficient.

S:UF has assigned seating (though you can request a row, and if it's possible the grouper may grant your request - I ask for row 6 every time). The way the groupers place people in the rows it really minimizes the need to solicit single riders. He will put two single riders in the same row, or put a group of 3 with a single rider so that there isn't an empty seat.

On October 4th SFDK is holding a AAA 'day". https://www.sixflags.com/discoverykingdom/special-events/celebration/aaa-appreciation-day

"EXCLUSIVE Block Party in Roar Plaza from 10:30 AM - 12 PM including access to Roar, Superman Ultimate Flight, Vertical Velocity, Tsunami Soaker, FREE Go Carts, Seaside Junction for kids." It says 28 dollars per person but I sent them a comment on their site asking if season pass holders that have a AAA membership can partake in this event. Mainly, I'd just do it for Superman and Roar.

there's also some buffet for a extra 10 dollars but I can't see it being worth it as its from like 11:30 to 1 pm. Plus, I got the 2015 dinning pass so, meh. PS, The fish from seamore cod's isn't that good but better then Long John Silvers, but that's not saying much these days since they only sucked since 2003. Chicken tenders from same place were decent though.

the menu for SFDK and SFMM are rather limited compared to the one near Chicago. In California your limited to pretty much high markup, state fair style food.

• 2 weeks later...

Went today on sunday, sep 21st. Last day to bring a free in for free first three sundays of september. me and my friend to to the park at 2 pm, I was expecting it to be busy but the main lot was full, 100%. So they overflowed parking across the street to the fairgrounds beat up, un-mantained parking lot.

Once inside the park my friends like "Blah Blah Blah, Flash Pass." and since one of the 2014 coupons (that 2015'ers can use too) is add 1 person onto flash pass only gold or regular. So we go half and half on Gold flash pass with only 5 houes left in the park. After that we program it for "Roar!" and we wait in line for superman. at some point it goes down for some sort of reason for about 20 mins, about 1/5th of the line leaves, around 7 train fulls.

Roar's timer goes off before we ever get on and we get shoved into the back seat of superman. Once in line for roar we program it for sky screamer, we're hitting up the stuff he never been on, that I've barely been on.

So after that we program it for medusa and get food. I give them my season pass for the meal thing " ACCESS DENIED" the scanners at season pass processing 2 weeks ago didn't scan/link my dining pass to my season pass. I show the server my 2015 cup that came with the meal plan saying "look the computer or a staff member screwed up the processing of the pass. But here's the 2015 cup, you can only get it with the meal plan unless people are stealing out of season processing."

so they gave me the chicken strips and fries, no issue refilling the 2015 cup. course im fine with my friend drinking out of the cup but the straw is mine, mine! Bwhahaa.

And we finish out the day with 2 rides on Medusa font and back. after that we check out the now lame shark exhibit which barely has anything in it. and half of it at the end is blocked off for a fright fest maze construction. So, what I though was going to be horrible was horrible but I'm still glad we got on good coasters and we're able to hang out there. Though, i'm not doing bring a friend day's again if I can help it.

Might end up going next friday or saturday. Also Saturday the 27th of sep at the jelly belly factory like 20 miles from SFDK, they are having some event and mike tv and Ms.Salt from the original willy wonka movie will be there.

Six Flags as a whole must have gotten some kind of deal on these carny rides. I'm really un-impressed with this addition. I'd rather save money and gas and ride one at a carnival.

I would think there would be a slight increase in accident probability at a carnival vs. at a corporate ran park.

Six Flags as a whole must have gotten some kind of deal on these carny rides. I'm really un-impressed with this addition. I'd rather save money and gas and ride one at a carnival.

I would think there would be a slight increase in accident probability at a carnival vs. at a corporate ran park.

I'll take my chances, but if i'm ever at the park you won't see me riding it.

I don't care for the 2015 ride, Hammerhead already does exactly the same thing including the face to face riders and it's ancient/hidden enough there's never a huge line. Plus I'd rather ride VooDoo then either of those.

::edit:: got a SFDK newsletter e-mail say this Saturday from 12-1pm you can ride medusa, kong or skyscreamer twice in a row if you show your season pass card.

Went back on sunday sep 28th. Crowds were decently light IMHO.

Anyways my big event was bringing in my 2015 season meal pass print out before they forgot to scan it on september 6th and add it to my season pass.

So I go into season pass processing and end up scoring a second 2015 free cup since I lied about not getting one. they finally link the meal pass and confirm it. though it still didn't ring up since it requires like 24 hours to update the whole parks system. Still got lunch and dinner meals though.

I ended up buying the 15 dollar maze wristband though I did the good ones about 2-3 times each.

the best mazes were:

Nightmare Manor (bumper cars) Two, very good actors near the end. Didn't see something coming myself, actually made me jump twice near the end.

Boathouse Blood Lake (boat flume ride) (Good, but there was always a decent line for it since it's the first right right by the wrist band sales.)

Massacre Mine (white water rapids) Good actors

and Slaughter Farms (former 3D action theater) slaughter Farms had the hands down best actors in it.

PS, I was the one who barked like a dog at the end of the first hypnotism show at the bird theater (Was on stage). Case anyone was there for that.

Between the wind wanting to close the screen, the sun glaring and blocking your view, and the vibration making it tough to focus, that seems really really difficult. I'm impressed the one guy got as far as he did.

I can't believe they did as few laps as they did though..I could ride Medusa pretty much infinitely, it's one of the most comfortable and non nauseating coasters I've ever ridden.

Would be interesting to see this done on El Loco in Vegas, where there's no sun, almost no vibration, and almost no wind. Or you could go the other way and see it on something like X2 or Green Lantern at SFMM which would be absolutely insane.

Is Dare Devil Chaos going where Superman: Ultimate Flight is?

No, Superman isnt being removed. DDC is going where the Season Pass Processing Center currently is.

Thank goodness for that. If they removed Superman and replaced it with that carny ride (which they obviously wouldn't), I would cut up my season pass. Oh, the humanity!