TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

V2 is a lot of fun, in my opinion. Sure, it's not the most thrilling thing in the world, but it's still fun. I wouldn't wait in line for it for more than about 15min. though, so I guess that's saying something...

Yes, it would be wonderful if Vallejo removed the height restriction, but I think you can still do a lot with 150ft. It's not size that matters, it's what you do with it.

Yes, it would be wonderful if Vallejo removed the height restriction, but I think you can still do a lot with 150ft. It's not size that matters, it's what you do with it.

That's true. Medusa is a decent ride for sure and it's still only 150. Hell PGA doesn't have a coaster over 100 ft and they've been fun for me for years.

Well, PGA had 2 that were over 100 feet: Greased Lightning (137 feet, 10 inches...say 138) and now have 1 coaster, Invertigo (160 ft, 138 foot drop).

Yup. You're completely right. My mistake. I always forget about Invertigo for some reason. I liked it when it first opened, tho... and I really miss Tidal Wave.

I have not ridden the new V2 but I think it looks cool (not as fast) the inclined heartline looks sweet especially backwards..does anybody like the new V2 better?

JEFF

You know what might have made this cooler? If they had added a 2nd set of LIMs to the end of the inclined track to pull it up faster. I think what makes it boring is that the stall out is so terribly slow. once you're through the roll, it just kind of crawls a couple hundred feet to a stall out. If they had added some sort of pulling mechanism to make this more abrupt and then a pause and then release (think Invertigo, etc) that might have been cooler. Might have added a bit more intensity to the ride.

I say that the ride is cool, the launch isn't great, but its better than Superman. I thought the inclined inline was cool because you stopped in it.

But I've never ridden a real impulse, so I don't know which is better!

V2 was built on one of the lowest sections of the park, so SFMW figured since it was still within the 150ft mark from the highest point in the park, they were ok. The City didn't agree since SFMW also has zoned sections as to how high any ride can be in any given section, and the original ride far exceeded the height restriction for the zone it was built on.

I also much preferred the original, and I agree with PortugePunk, that flat stall section is such a huge dead spot on the ride, really ruins the pacing. There's so much more they could have done with V2 instead of just a fix.

I'm not 100% certain, but my understanding of the height restriction is due to the neighboring houses, mainly the expensive houses on the hilltop above Lake Chabot. The homeowners claim that any tall structures would ruin their lakeview, and I recall hearing in the news about them bitching about V2 ruining their view. So I believe this is the actual reason for the height restriction since the tiny airport way out in Napa or the now closed nearby Naval base shouldn't even be an issue.

I had a feeling it had to do with the neighbors whether if it was the rich hill-top dwellers or the residents on the other side of the freeway that had to complain about it. Personally, if I lived next to a themepark, I could care less if I could see a 500 foot giga-strata standup inverted woodie out my bathroom window or in my backyard.

Didn't ride the pre-makeover V2 (it was down when I was there, as it has been frequently ever since), and the only other impulse i've ridden is Wicked Twister. I'm not as negative as some about the front spike. Yeah, the stall is a little long, but I actually enjoy the hangtime over the entrance plaza. It's better in the front of the train, where there's more inverting on both runs.

Damn neighbors.

Actually at when a train is taken off and then put back on after a rehab, well in the state of California, they are required to do a certain number of cycles. If the park has done any modifications to the restraints or done anything to alter them, they sometimes require the water dummies to be placed on the ride. It's just more to see how the train will re-act with weight on it.

-RD

• 1 month later...

No! On Coater Force they posted an artical about Zonga being Removed from SFMW. I don't have an adress bar, so i can't post a link. I'm mad at SF for removing this classic but I know they had maintnece issues. Maybe it will be refurbished and moved back to the germen fairs. What do you guys think about the removal?

1. I wrote that story on CoasterForce, before you begin to use the "CoasterForce is plagarist" card, I cited the source.

The source and the proof?

http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/showpost.php?p=658880&postcount=31

Also, Zonga, by many reports, was a crappy coaster. Another "neutered Schwarzkopf" by Six Flags because the loops were re-engineered by Premier Rides (to reduce G's). Also, the bulky OTSR's were another factor.